PDA

View Full Version : Catering Company

Buttercup82
01-19-2006, 03:34 PM
I :wub: cooking with a deep passion and I dream of one day opening a restaurant that serves Bahamian Food/Afro-American Soul Food. Right now I want to just start small to get myself out there with a small catering company. If anyone has any information on how to start a business like this or has any experience in this field please reply. Thanx in advance.

nappdiva
01-21-2006, 09:13 PM
I :wub: cooking with a deep passion and I dream of one day opening a restaurant that serves Bahamian Food/Afro-American Soul Food. Right now I want to just start small to get myself out there with a small catering company. If anyone has any information on how to start a business like this or has any experience in this field please reply. Thanx in advance.
[/b]

I don't have any first hand expierience, but try reading the book by Denise Vilado ( I think that's her name) on how to start a catering business. I ordered it for my friend as a bday present from Amazon.com. It supposed to be the best in the business.

plc2003
01-21-2006, 10:30 PM
I have experience in the food industry, Culinary Arts degrees and working on a Bachelor's in Food Service Management. However I do not have training particulary with catering. However I do know it is a lot of work that goes into catering being involved witha few catered events. I suggest first of all taking a few cooking classes at a local college. Though you love to cook, there are a few things that you may need to learn. A good thing to do instead of spending money on school is going and learning from someone else with a company.

However if you already have experience, you should read as much as possible about catering. Be sure to get books that are helpful to what you are doing. The book mentioned above is a really good one. A website I think you should check out is www.chef2chef.net. You can search the forum as well as ask advice from chefs on the site. Many of them have helped me. Also make sure that you have a market because if you are providing services no one needs in the area then you go out of business.

I really hope this helps you going in the right direction. If you have any questions that I may be able to help you with then send me a pm.

Buttercup82
01-23-2006, 03:56 PM
Thanx for all the advice. I hope to start school in the next term so I can further my skills(there is always more to learn). I will look into catering co.'s in my area to see if any positions are available.

Lornam
06-07-2006, 05:46 PM
[/b]

Lornam
06-07-2006, 06:01 PM
[/b]
I started my own catering company in October of 2005. It's a lot of work but worth it if you have the passion. Like you, I am working toward opening a restaurant that serves Caribbean and Soul Food. We will have food from several Caribbean Countries including the Bahamas, Barbados, Jamaica, Trinidad, etc. I worked as a Catering Sales Manager for the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center and worked in off-premise catering for Tentation Potel & Chabot (Gucci, Prada, Loui Vitton, Valentino, etc).

Feel free to check out my website at: http://www.mercellancecilys.com

Steps toward owning your own catering company:
1) Experience: In the catering industry whether it be working as an Event Assistant, Event Consultant, Catering Consultant, Catering Manager. For my company, I'm the Executive Chef and went to New York City Technical College and have my Bachelor of Technology in Hospitality Management. I've been trained in advanced Culinary and Pastries as well. You will have to decide whether you will be the Chef, if so, that will be great because it cuts down on labor.

2) Catering Business Plan: Guide to how your businenss will begin and how you will endure down the road.

2)Type of Company: You have to decide whether you want to be Sole Proprietor, Proprietor, S Corp, C Corp or Limited Liablity.

3) Funding: Sources for funding include: Loans, Grants and Line of Credits.

4) Insurance: Catering Insurance (S&M Klein is a great company to start with)

5) Labor: Best to use Staffing agencies.

I hope this was helpful. I got to get back to my business plan for the restaurant.

Best of luck to u!