PDA

View Full Version : Think Your Hair Is Breaking Too Much?

Fatty_Girl06
01-22-2006, 08:31 PM
I know alot of people are concerned about how much their hair breaks so I made up a small list of things to consider before thinking that our hair has abnormal breakage

-Hair thickness, a ball of thick hair will often bigger than a ball of thin hair
-Hair length, a ball of long hair will be bigger than a ball of short hair
-Days between combing, hair sheds an average 100--125 strands (http://www.ahlc.org/causes-f.htm) per day, multiply this by the number of days between combing
-Strand length, a broken strand of hair will be short and have no root
-How you untangle, yanking or fighting hair WILL cause it to break, be careful
-Remember all hair is different, someone may lose 100 strands per day while another loses 110 per day

Feel free to add to the list :)

naturalay
01-22-2006, 09:02 PM
-Days between combing, hair sheds an average 100--125 strands (http://www.ahlc.org/causes-f.htm) per day, multiply this by the number of days between combing

[/b]
I tend to forget that after wearing a protective style for 2 weeks :)
Thanks, very helpful reminder.

ReBoRn
01-22-2006, 09:47 PM
I know alot of people are concerned about how much their hair breaks so I made up a small list of things to consider before thinking that our hair has abnormal breakage

-Hair thickness, a ball of thick hair will often bigger than a ball of thin hair
-Remember all hair is different, someone may lose 100 strands per day while another loses 110 per day

[/b]

Pregnant women tend not to shed as much hair
Around 6-8 weeks post partum hair follicles go into a resting stage therefore they are more likely to shed a little bit more hair due to the lack of shedding during pregnancy.
(someone had to school me, i thought i was going bald :lol: )

diego2memphis
01-23-2006, 04:20 PM
Very true! I used to worry about hair shedding during detangling. But I don't anymore. Besides that, nothing sheds as much as relaxed hair. I dang near had to vacuum everytime I combed my hair. Back then my hair would be all over my pillows, couch and shoulders. Now I only see shedding when I pick or detangle. Good info!

Jazitones
01-23-2006, 04:38 PM
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
I tend to forget that after wearing a protective style for 2 weeks :)
Thanks, very helpful reminder.
[/b][/quote]

Yeah I forgot that also and then I&#39;ll go into :unsure: mode. So if you have you hair in a protective style for about 2 weeks @ 100 strands of shedded hair = 1400 strands of hair. :P Just me doing the math. :lol:

MotherLand
01-23-2006, 09:18 PM
I really don&#39;t shed that much then....after having my hair in twists for about a week I found barely any hair. (Maybe 10-15 strands at most.)

napsnap
01-24-2006, 01:56 AM
Thank you! Good info to remember instead of "freaking out" like I used to :P

BasementBeat
12-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Well, I had to look up hair breakage/shedding since I&#39;m kind of shocked about how much hair is on the end of my pick or comb.
I&#39;m growing my hair out so I can get locs.
My hair is very thick (except for in the back) and i&#39;m thinking that maybe the teeth of the comb/pick isn&#39;t wide enough. But I only have a micro fro. The thing that i&#39;m concerned about is that a lot of the hair on my comb after I comb my head...is that it was taken out by the root (can see the hair folicle at the end). So maybe I am just ripping it out?

I typically shampoo like 3-4 times a week and condition. I then use shea butter while the hair is moist. Although I will admit, since the winter hit, i&#39;ve been drinking a lot less water.

QueenVictoria
12-19-2007, 03:06 PM
haha i ein gon lie ive have a post or two about "should i be worried!?!?!" and it turned out i was bein paranoid. my hair just broke off so much when i had that CFC, and when i first BCd and was learning by trial and error i had so many beed-a-bees poppin everywhere......

but now i just realize what to do and what not to do and make sure to keep a strong eye on what i do shed. lol

Zhara
12-19-2007, 03:59 PM

[/b]

those single strand nots get me every time and not to mention the lint build up that get&#39;s caught inbetween tangles ..... I cant go more than 3 days with out detangling other wise I am in TROUBLE! Note to self wear more protective styles as hair get&#39;s longer!