PDA

View Full Version : Burnt Straight....what Do I Do?

kemistry286
01-28-2006, 12:22 AM
I need help, my hair is a catastrophe!!! And unfortunately its self-inflicted. All the beginning of last year and over the summer I had braids and/or wore a hat or a cute scarf. I had absolutely no ideal what to do w/ my natural hair. But after a while I got tired of the braids and the breakage, so I took the advice of a friend and went to an egyptian shop.

For those of you who don't know, these are shops were middle eastern men (not necessarily egyptian) who blow out and hot curl your hair. I have to admit the results are beautiful (for straight hair), but it is not worth all the damage. I could literally smell my hair burning as they did it.

After my once beautiful natural hair started to thin out, I realized I had to stop. It finally dawned on me that I had so many other options besides chemicals, heat, or weave. But the only problem is.....THAT MY HAIR IS STILL STRAIGHT! I know the damage is irreparable, but now I don't know what to do w/ it....I've been wherein' twist outs, but it just doesn't look right w/ out a natural curl. I keep on cutting the ends as it grows, but I feel like its growing in straight. I can't where a fro and I don't want break my fragile hair out w/ braids. I just don't know what to do? Anybody have some advice?

SweetAmbrosia
01-28-2006, 12:53 AM
Since the damage is already done, you can gradually trim it off or you can BC and start from scratch.
In the meanwhile you may wanna try a protein and deep conditioning treatment to help strengthen and moisturize your hair.

JCoily
01-28-2006, 01:04 AM
I keep on cutting the ends as it grows, but I feel like its growing in straight.[/b]

Odds are it's not growing in straight. Just keep moisturizing your hair and keep up the snipping of the ends and you will get back to where you started.

lifeAgift
01-28-2006, 01:57 AM
Egyptian Shops are not the devil. You got what you requested and paid for.

:angry: OFFENDED

deecoily
01-28-2006, 03:13 AM
Please read the PINNED topics at the top of the Hair Forum.

From what you have said, your hair is damaged and the only thing you can do is cut it off. It's burned beyond saving.

This is precisely why we don't ever recommend using high heat like that on your hair. It is hairicide.

Your hair is not growing in straight, it's just badly damaged and will take time to repair itself from the follicle.

~D~

KnappilyMe
01-28-2006, 07:54 AM
deep condition, gradually trim, drool over our fotki albums, and come back to us if you feel you need a kick in the **** as not to burn your baby nappies again. ;)

You are not alone, and welcome to Nappy University

natrlchallenge
01-28-2006, 05:16 PM
Believe you me, you're not the only one who have suffered using heat on your hair. I tried to use a flat flaming hot tool of hair torture on a small section of my hair. It was singed strait. :angry: Please note that heat can be damaging to your hair, even when it is protected be a heat serum. Remember that your hair is just like silk. What happens to silk when you use a hot iron on it? Thankfully, your hair will heal in time. Cut off the damaged ends and beware of the excessive use of heat. hpoe all goes well.