PDA

View Full Version : Puerto Rico

BushBaby
02-05-2006, 04:43 AM
Trying to plan a trip to puerto rico in May (this year). I do not speak a lik of spanish so I need somewhere really "non-english speaker" friendly.

Not sure what part of PR to visit. What's a nice place? The only place i know of is san juan. I am not into the touristic thing. I like regular places with regular people doing regular things. I want to hang with the (as tacky it sounds) "locals". Go to a few clubs and just chill.

Please let me know.

thanks

blkgrlfound
02-05-2006, 04:45 PM
sorry, no suggestions, but i'm thinkin abt. travelin to PR this year too, and wld like others to chime in...

you right, i like to kick it with the folk... i'm also lookin for beautiful landscapes to visit... like forests or beaches, waterfalls, etc...

hello kitty
02-05-2006, 06:20 PM
Trying to plan a trip to puerto rico in May (this year). I do not speak a lik of spanish so I need somewhere really "non-english speaker" friendly.

Not sure what part of PR to visit. What's a nice place? The only place i know of is san juan. I am not into the touristic thing. I like regular places with regular people doing regular things. I want to hang with the (as tacky it sounds) "locals". Go to a few clubs and just chill.
Please let me know.

thanks
[/b]

why not try and learn a little spanish before you go??? if you want to hang out w/the locals and go to regular places...a little spanish will go a long way.

i've been there twice, and i speak spanish (4 yrs in high school.) i enjoyed not having to depend on some tour guide.

but, when i went to montreal, i bought a little pocket guide for conversational french...no more than 5 bucks or so. keep in mind that i tried french in college-just couldn't get it (i ended up dropping the class) so, even the smallest attempt to speak french (and i was really bad!) got the best reaction from the locals. everyone was friendly and eager to help. once again, i enjoyed my trip w/out a tour guide!

also, maybe try a travel book- many offer "off the beaten path" info.

have a great trip :)

Coffebabette
02-05-2006, 06:52 PM
why not try and learn a little spanish before you go??? if you want to hang out w/the locals and go to regular places...a little spanish will go a long way.

i've been there twice, and i speak spanish (4 yrs in high school.) i enjoyed not having to depend on some tour guide.

but, when i went to montreal, i bought a little pocket guide for conversational french...no more than 5 bucks or so. keep in mind that i tried french in college-just couldn't get it (i ended up dropping the class) so, even the smallest attempt to speak french (and i was really bad!) got the best reaction from the locals. everyone was friendly and eager to help. once again, i enjoyed my trip w/out a tour guide!

also, maybe try a travel book- many offer "off the beaten path" info.

have a great trip :)
[/b]
@Bushbaby, sounds like a good idea, keeping an eye on this th

@Kitty, valid suggestion (also working with Lonely Planet)

need a vacation bad!...something slightly different. Learning to speak a foreign language is a good one.

famke
02-06-2006, 04:26 PM
I've been to Puerto Rico twice and most recently last September. First, you don't need to know Spanish. English is spoken and very commonplace there. I stayed in San Juan on my first trip in the Condado Section of town. I loved it. We ate at the local Mom & Pop restaurants, hung out with the natives at the local bar. The locals are very friendly and helpful. My second trip, I stayed in Fajardo which is 45mins away from San Juan. I stayed at a very secluded resort. It was very relaxing. I spent alot of time at the spa and on the private island that the hotel owns.

blkgrlfound
02-06-2006, 04:32 PM
good info yall... thx...

Ama
02-08-2006, 02:16 AM
You'll be fine if you stay in the tourist areas like Condado and Isla Verde since usually they will speak english there because of tourism. Go to any part of the island it will be more difficult to find people who speak english. If any most understand english (because of american televison) but can't speak it and that primarly outside of San Juan. If you do want to go beyond San Juan to really experiance Puerto Rico I would suggest a tour bus although I think they are cheesy if you know someone who is familiar with the island have them drive you down to El yunque rain forest, Fajardo,Aguadilla, and Ponce. If your more interested in seeing things with alot of african influence you might want to check out Loiza. Good Luck on your trip!

blkgrlfound
02-13-2006, 02:52 PM
good info ama, thx for sharin...