PDA

View Full Version : Horrible And Damaging Habit

ljam4u
02-13-2006, 11:12 PM
For as long as I can remember, I've had a bad habit of picking at my scalp so much that scabs would form, and then I'd pick at the scabs so much that my hair would come out. I've been Natural (again) since October 2005, and for awhile I had managed to quit that habit. Well... a few months ago I started up again and my hair loss is visable around my front edges and in one area on the middle left of my head. The saddest thing is that I don't realize I'm even doing it sometimes. This is really causing my hair to not grow at it's proper rate, and I look at pics of Napptural ladies on here who've been natural as long as I with much more hair than I. So I suppose I'm asking, how in the world can I break this habit? Anyone have a habit like this or similar and manage to stop it?

bluvember
02-14-2006, 12:04 AM
I do this as well and I totally think its an unconscious act. Sometimes, usually after a while, I realize it and stop immediately. Other times I just pick and pick until my scalp is sore. I always regret it when its time to wash but by then its too late and the damage is done. I thought it was strange that after being natural for almost 4 years that I would still have scabs. :doh

I know my scalp is damaged but I don't know the first thing about correcting it. I've tried the ACV rinses and they do stop the itchies for a few days, but what else can be done?