PDA

View Full Version : Is "carbohydrates" the new dirty word?

NaturalLove
02-24-2003, 01:58 PM
It appears like everyone is on this new kick of intaking lots of protein and no carbs. I've even contemplated doing that about a week before my wedding so I could appear a little leaner than normal. I've never had weight problems so I won't criticize anyone who uses these "atkin type" techniques to lose weight, but surely eliminating carbs from your diet cannot be a good thing. Right? Especially since these diets discourage eating fruit. I can understand eliminating/reducing your intake of refined sugars, but fruit? It doesn't make sense to me.

My coworker started his low carb diet on January 1, 2003, and as of last Wednesday, he's lost 30 pounds thus far. But his diet is horrible and he doesn't exercise. I think some of us are too concerned with weight and not concerned enough about being healthy. I was taught that in order to remain healthy you need to have good nutrition and exercise. You can't have one without the other.

BushBaby
02-24-2003, 02:39 PM
I am not down the atkins diet but I do follow my own "low carb" meal plan. Carbs aren't necessarily bad for you if you eat the proper "daily serving" and workout (do activities) that will help burn them up. Face it carbs provide energy and we need them.
But the problem is that most people eat MORE than their daily requirement of carbs, and they don't exercise so they have all these extra carbs in their body which turns to sugar which turns to fat. Then they blame the rice/pasta/bread.

Just eat the proper serving (1/2 cup of b.rice is enough for the day) and exercise.
Most people give up carbs because it's easier to give up bread period, than live with eating half a slice of bread a day.

LotsOfLocs
02-24-2003, 06:08 PM
Its so funny. People who are on carb diets lose weight. People who are on protein diets lose weight. It seems like if you eat a non balanced diet of too many carbs and proteins you get fat. I think its all about finding a balance between the two.

Joyfulocs
02-24-2003, 06:52 PM
[quote]Its so funny. People who are on carb diets lose weight. People who are on protein diets lose weight. It seems like if you eat a non balanced diet of too many carbs and proteins you get fat. [b]I think its all about finding a balance of the between the two.

Bingo!

Twistie74
02-24-2003, 07:25 PM
I tried to do that - and it tore up my system.

I'm a total carb junkie and I admit it.

A friend of mine is doing the Atkins Diet and honestly - while he's losing weight - I don't see how that can be healthy for a person in the longrun....

afrikankween
02-24-2003, 07:48 PM
I think this is the question I was trying to ask in my fruit and carbs thread. I could go 4 days of the week and eat nothing but fruit, but after seeing so many carbs I got skurred. But then I go back to, how can fruit be bad for you. You have these people eating 2 lbs steaks and all the chicken in the whirl loosing weight, but a person like me eating fruit drink water most of the time aint loosing shyt. It aint fair!

GalaxyGirl2010
02-24-2003, 08:28 PM
But too much protein isnt good for our systems. I read that it's horrible for internal organs (if you continue it over a long period of time) especially the kidneys since their main job is to flush toxing out of the body and extra protein creates more toxins.

Afrikan: are you only eating fruit and water? I think that eating low calories can actually hinder weight loss since your body starts to believe that it's in a famine situation and the weight that is lost would mainly be muscle.

Im eating less carbs but not like the atkins diet, I'm actually eating appropriate serving sizes, like half a cup of pasta instead of 2 cups or half a bagel instead of a whole one. I have noticed changes in my body and I still dont feel deprived.

afrikankween
02-24-2003, 08:36 PM
No I dont only eat that since it doesnt work. I might as well eat what I want.

KristiK
02-24-2003, 11:27 PM
I think a LOT of people also do NOT eat the 'right' carbs, which was what my problem was. I am not a big bread eater at all, but I do like pasta so I simply switched over to the whole wheat pasta and eat less of it and more of the veggie I make myself steam with it. I think that they key is moderately include whatever you like to eat into your diet, but exercise and drink a ton of water.

strawwberryz
02-25-2003, 12:35 AM
Once you eliminate the carbs you better avoid them for life cauz immediately you start eating them again you gain all the weight back and some :?
Complete elimination of a certain food group is definately not healthy. We are yet to see the after effects of some of these fad diets.

marissasensei
02-25-2003, 01:07 AM
I think a LOT of people also do NOT eat the 'right' carbs, which was what my problem was.

I think this is the key. I think obesity is a problem in this country not because people are eating too much fruit, brown rice, couscous, and whole wheat pasta, but b/c we're eating too much white flour, corn, and refined sugars.

curlygirl
02-25-2003, 02:19 AM
I think a LOT of people also do NOT eat the 'right' carbs, which was what my problem was. I am not a big bread eater at all, but I do like pasta so I simply switched over to the whole wheat pasta and eat less of it and more of the veggie I make myself steam with it. I think that they key is moderately include whatever you like to eat into your diet, but exercise and drink a ton of water.

Bingo. It's quality not quantity. Plus when you're eating the whole stuff and not the processed/refined junk, you don't eat as much because your body is more satisfied w/less.

silvi
02-25-2003, 02:48 AM
On the atkins weight lost plan, only very low carb fruits like strawberries, blueberries and cantelope are allowed. However once you get into maintenance mode other fruits and carbs are allow as long as you do not exceed your daily limit.
For people, like me, who have more than 100 pounds to lose, sometimes a radical plan is necessary because the health risks of the weight are greater than the risks of the diet.
I am not on the atkins diet but my family doctor recommended it as a possiblility because I have so much to lose and it is effective in reversing some medical problems if followed correctly. I would definitely try the atkins plan before resorting to surgery.

NaturalLove
02-25-2003, 12:57 PM
On the atkins weight lost plan, only very low carb fruits like strawberries, blueberries and cantelope are allowed. However once you get into maintenance mode other fruits and carbs are allow as long as you do not exceed your daily limit.
For people, like me, who have more than 100 pounds to lose, sometimes a radical plan is necessary because the health risks of the weight are greater than the risks of the diet.
I am not on the atkins diet but my family doctor recommended it as a possiblility because I have so much to lose and it is effective in reversing some medical problems if followed correctly. I would definitely try the atkins plan before resorting to surgery.

Yeah, I think surgery is too drastic.

Good luck on your weight loss.

Twistie74
02-25-2003, 07:39 PM
No I dont only eat that since it doesnt work. I might as well eat what I want.

Basically!

ollypitts2
02-26-2003, 05:39 AM
I'm not sure if "carb" has become a dirty word, but it seems like people are learning more about how to use them for energy and to maintain weight loss.

I'm pretty particular about only taking in certain types of carbs. I do almost no refined sugars, white flour products, and limited white rice. Its not hard for me to find whole grain foods and use honey to satisfy my sweet tooth. I'm also careful about which fruits I eat. I prefer citrus fruits, berries, pears, and apples so I don't miss the others. I'll probably start eating more cantalope and honeydew this spring. I drink juice (OJ) when I'm sick, but other than that I don't drink any juice. I watch the amound of cooked carrots, corn and potatos I eat.

Basically, I avoid foods that have a high glycemic index because they pack on the pounds quickly. I also enjoy protein much more than carbs so I'm just following my natural inclination. Since my meat and dairy intake is low, I don't worry much about the damaging effects of eating other forms of protein.

NaturalLove
02-26-2003, 06:17 PM
Basically, I avoid foods that have a high glycemic index because they pack on the pounds quickly. I also enjoy protein much more than carbs so I'm just following my natural inclination. Since my meat and dairy intake is low, I don't worry much about the damaging effects of eating other forms of protein.

Can you explain the glycemic index and how it affects our bodies? Thank you.

ollypitts2
02-27-2003, 05:05 AM
Hi Naturalove,

Here's a couple of links that go into a good bit of detail about the concept of glycemic index. They also list the index of common foods.

The diet is recommended to folks with diabetes, but its also been discussed by Nicholas Perricone in the book the Perricone Prescription. I've mentioned his book so many times, I think he should send me a cut of the sales profit. :shock: His belief is that foods that have a high glycemic index adversely affect the body by contributing to inflammation. Some common problems caused by inflammation are acne and arthritis. Since I've been more careful about the kinds of carbs I eat, I've noticed that my skin looks brighter and smoother; and although I don't have arthritis, I'm less stiff at times during the day when I would normally feel like a block of wood. Peruse the book for a more thorough discussion of the diet's benefits.

These two links provide some more info about the concept.

The first link goes to a really long article, and the second goes to a short but informative site with food lists.

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m0841/2...cle.jhtml?term= (http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m0841/2_34/54654508/p1/article.jhtml?term=)

http://www.webgate.net/~welchiro/choosing.html

NaturalLove
02-27-2003, 07:34 PM
Ollypitts2, thanks for the info. I'm always up to learning something new.