PDA

View Full Version : Why is it not many people in here?

Lagina
12-30-2003, 11:58 PM
Granted I just started reading myself, but wow there is so much to read and seems like I don't really have enough time. With school starting I need to find more time to read or less time on here :duck

With response to the poll just wondering your personally reasons for not reading "more" Thanks in advance

Twistednkinky
12-31-2003, 12:19 AM
I didn't complete the poll. But I would suspect that some ppl belong to other online book clubs/discussions or participate in book clubs at their local libraries.

As for me, I am not really big on fiction......the book that I am currently reading is fiction-Sexual Healing by Jill Nelson.....and the only reason that I chose to read this particular selection is because I have read two of her other books.

Okay......I am veering from the question at hand and I have completely loss my train of thought..... :).....pardon my "senior moment"! :lol Anyway, I primarily read non-fiction and I find that many of the discussion seem to center around fictional works.....or least it seems that way! :huh

Anyway, I'm here....mostly in lurk mode.....

Peace.....

Back to lurking...... :pop

Laniza
12-31-2003, 12:35 AM
That's a good point, TK! While I do read lots of fiction and I do check out this section of the board from time to time, I really don't know why more people aren't doing the same. Like the poll suggests, there are a variety of reasons, some good, some not so good. The activism section of the board seems to have the same problem of not enough people showing interest (aka posting) as well. Could it be that people are reading or are activists but just aren't posting often about it? What do others think? By the way, I didn't vote because I think that all of the answers apply in varying degrees...

Sekhmet
12-31-2003, 12:39 AM
Evil Elitist Sekhmet here :rolling .

The reasons are many. There are hardly any people in here because:

1. The overwhelming majority of people on this site just don't read. You can tell that by the level of writing in people's posts. If it isn't confusing your/you're, it's forgetting about the doubling rule (thinning = thining), or just plain old bad spelling: irk=urke and I nearly cried today when I saw that someone spelled no one as knowone. I kid you NOT! :mad

2. Most people watch too much t.v. They'd rather see the "cliff notes" version on the small or big screen than actually stretch their brain to read it for themselves. >:(

3. I don't buy that "work too much" argument because most posters are posting from work.

4. People in general have become very shallow and superficial. We are becoming less intellectual, scholarly and academic with each passing generation. If it doesn't have to do with how to make your hair look like kelis/cree/holly/scaryspice/ananda/rachel, folks won't waste their time reading a dang thing. Seems like folks only care about looking good nowadays. Nobody takes pride in being intelligent or well-read anymore.

I know this is a website for hair, but given the amount of time folks are here, they can't be reading anything or posting to a reading site anywhere else, KWIM? Just take a look at the type of threads that get the most posts (ET-type threads) and fights about hair. If they are reading, which I seriously doubt, they'd want to discuss it. They'd want to share and quote and so forth.

This place is a graveyard, which is why I bumped twistednkinky's thread earlier. Look at the NP Book Club. When was the last time they met/read a book? How many times were the discussions rescheduled or simply cancelled for lack of participation? People claim they read, but it's not the truth. It's just a popular thing to say. People want to be known/seen as "readers" because it's good to seen as one. Everyone wants to be considered "smart". But in truth, they simply aren't reading anything but the labels on clothes and hair products. It's quite sad. Actually, it's a dying shame! >:(

Okay. Rant over.

P.S. I was thinking about starting a thread on this issue, Lagina. But with my reputation, it'd get shot down or ignored as "elitism", "nappier than thou" or "thinking one's better or smarter than others". You've seen that haven't you? You see how folks ignored that Family Reading Club thread. 3 people responded. 3! Pathetic. But let's talk about tattoos, low-riding jeans and what-not. Folks always complaining about the teachers, but they don't read a book to their own kids. Seems like only one person on this whole board actually cares enough and sees the importance of reading to their child and that's twistednkinky. ETA: I don't visit the Parenting Forum because I'm not a parent, so maybe there are others in there. But TnK is one that posts on this topic outside of that sub-forum. So I've seen her posts for a fact.

Okay. Rant over for real this time! I promise. :thumbsup

BlakStaar
12-31-2003, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Sekhmet@Dec 30 2003, 08:39 PM

1. The overwhelming majority of people on this site just don't read. You can tell that by the level of writing in people's posts. If it isn't confusing your/you're, it's forgetting about the doubling rule (thinning = thining), or just plain old bad spelling: irk=urke and I nearly cried today when I saw that someone spelled no one as knowone. I kid you NOT! :mad

2. Most people watch too much t.v. They'd rather see the "cliff notes" version on the small or big screen than actually stretch their brain to read it for themselves. >:(

3. I don't buy that "work too much" argument because most posters are posting from work.

4. People in general have become very shallow and superficial. We are becoming less intellectual, scholarly and academic with each passing generation. If it doesn't have to do with how to make your hair look like kelis/cree/holly/scaryspice/ananda/rachel, folks won't waste their time reading a dang thing. Seems like folks only care about looking good nowadays. Nobody takes pride in being intelligent or well-read anymore.

I know this is a website for hair, but given the amount of time folks are here, they can't be reading anything or posting to a reading site anywhere else, KWIM? Just take a look at the type of threads that get the most posts (ET-type threads) and fights about hair. If they are reading, which I seriously doubt, they'd want to discuss it. They'd want to share and quote and so forth.

This place is a graveyard, which is why I bumped twistednkinky's thread earlier. Look at the NP Book Club. When was the last time they met/read a book? How many times were the discussions rescheduled or simply cancelled for lack of participation? People claim they read, but it's not the truth. It's just a popular thing to say. People want to be known/seen as "readers" because it's good to seen as one. Everyone wants to be considered "smart". But in truth, they simply aren't reading anything but the labels on clothes and hair products. It's quite sad. Actually, it's a dying shame! >:(

Okay. Rant over.

P.S. I was thinking about starting a thread on this issue, Lagina. But with my reputation, it'd get shot down or ignored as "elitism", "nappier than thou" or "thinking one's better or smarter than others". You've seen that haven't you? You see how folks ignored that Family Reading Club thread. 3 people responded. 3! Pathetic. But let's talk about tattoos, low-riding jeans and what-not. Folks always complaining about the teachers, but they don't read a book to their own kids. Seems like only one person on this whole board actually cares enough and sees the importance of reading to their child and that's twistednkinky. ETA: I don't visit the Parenting Forum because I'm not a parent, so maybe there are others in there. But TnK is one that posts on this topic outside of that sub-forum. So I've seen her posts for a fact.

:app

Twistednkinky
12-31-2003, 01:20 AM
Oh sis-Sekhmet......you need a hug! :blab

I don't consider you to be an elitist......but I do readily admit that I have been on many occasion, intimidated by your intellectual prowess......you are one F-I-E-R-C-E sistah......and I mean that in a good way! :)

You consistently take many threads up a notch with your intelligence and experience combined......and I appreciate that! I hope that you will not allow the voices of a few deter you from posting......I always learn a great deal from reading your posts.

Hang in there sis......okay, :heart fest over! :)

Laniza....at one point I was very active in the Activism forum, but it seemed as if noone was interested......so I lurk there also.....I believe that I actively participate in all forums.....but then there are some forums that I can no longer stomach.....KWIM! :rolleyes

Back to the OT......I enjoy reading and frequenting the library, both serve as an escape of sorts. I was going to start a thread in the Parenting forum about favorite books to read with your child, but I just concluded that I will hold off......I tend to be the dominant poster in that forum.......so, I will just wait and give others a chance to share.

Anyway, I am reading concurrently......Like A Natural Woman, Sexual Healing and Boys Into Men......and I already have my January Reads lined up.

Okay.....back to lurk mode..... :-P

Sekhmet
12-31-2003, 01:46 AM
LOL! Thanks for the cyber-love and the compliment, Twistednkinky. :) Folks reading that will probably see it as me being "bitter", "angry" and "aggressive" :rolling :lol . It's all good though! I give it straight, no chaser! Gotta up the ante around here! :razz

Saundus
12-31-2003, 02:35 AM
Right on Sekhmet :app

My 2cents. I was a nerd growing up as a child. My mother would get on my case on a regular basis about my reading habits. I would strain my eyes to read in the middle of the night when I should be sleeping for school in the am. She would CATCH me all the time. Like I was stealing. :lol

Everyone doesn't have my passion for reading. Some people are not bookish. They didn't like to read as a child and they don't as an adult.

Some people simply don't post. And others, if it aint jumping they don't want a part of it.

Knowledge is power and reading is fundamental.

@Twisted, I would love to see more threads on non-fiction authors and books. My slept on authors thread is not only for fiction authors, it is for all genres and categories. We need more individuals to put the knowledge out there for those that may not have a clue. If you type it, someone will read it. And bell hooks? I had no clue as to who that lady was or what she was trying to do. But when I read your thread it piqued my attention.

The Intuitionist? Diop? Dr. Afrika? I had never heard of them until I researched this forum and branched into the Spirituality section. I am proof that this board can bridge the gap. Put it out there for people to see. I promise you, someone is reading it.

naturalpeach
12-31-2003, 03:40 AM
Hi Sistahs,
This is just a thought. I didn't complete the poll because of this thought.

Maybe some members are feeling like the thread is for an already established club, and possibly feel like they would be "jumping in the middle." This is kind of how I felt. I had seen the forum title several times, but I thought i would interrupt a siutation. Once I finally entered, I realized that the forum is flowing with a variety of book topics and I kicked off my shoes, got comfortable and joined in.

Just a thought.

LPB Sistahs

aquababie19
12-31-2003, 04:23 AM
ita with you sekhmet!

:offtopic and i don't see you as elitist either. you are a very educated woman. if people are offended by your bluntness, so be it.

getting back to the topic, i try to mix fiction and nonfiction. i worked in a bookstore seven years. most women readers stayed in fiction while the men shopped the nonfiction. whenever i would try to approach a customer about a challenging read, they usually dismissed the thought. people like the tv...i do myself. but i watch a&e, discovery, history channel, etc....channels i feel can benefit me best. but i also know the joys of curling up with a good book too!

if i'm not reading as much as i should be , i am consumed with other hobbies, writing, or on this site :lol

Lagina
12-31-2003, 04:30 AM
@Sekhmet I so value your post! I will probably do a poll in the other topics section.

I also wanted to add that I will try my hardest to do a better job with my spelling! I am more math based, but that is not an excuse for me not spelling right when I have the know how. When I read books like the ones now, I'm learning so many new words and find my self wanting to look the word up right away. And the person who spelled knowone had me rofl!

@Twistednkinky I value your post too! You always seem to post something that will bring my thinking to another level.

Thanks to all who are responding. Someone will read and benefit (in lurk mode).

Afrocentric
12-31-2003, 04:32 AM
personally, i feel there aren't any good books out lately. i've even resorted to reading some of oprah's books (which doesn't guarantee the readers will be black). it's not that i discriminate against any other writers, but i just feel like i can find everything i want to read in black authors. lately i haven't wanted to read any of the books that have come out. they're the usual "black woman that has everything but a good man until magically he appears".

Cia
12-31-2003, 05:40 AM
I believe there are more ppl reading than posting (myself included).

In reference to the NP Book Club Chat, I no longer head it due to my class schedule (yes, I've finally taken the plunge so yall put in a good word for me). While it was up and running, there were conflicts in schedules for a date and time hence participation was low. It seemed to pick up when we changed the format to thread form. It allowed for ppl to post at their leisure (which is basically whats already in effect).

I am not a big fiction reader either. Here is the list of books I've read (am reading) within the last two months; The Big Picture by Dr Ben Carson, The Sunfood Diet by David Wolfe, The Simple Living Guide by Janet Luhrs, Zami by Audre Lorde and Cry, The Beloved Country by Alan Payton. I only posted about the latter.

Twistednkinky
12-31-2003, 06:14 AM
Here is the list of books I've read within the last two months; The Big Picture by Dr Ben Carson...

Dr. Ben Carson......he is absolutely wonderful! I don't know him personally, but I am completely floored by his compassion and generosity. Did you enjoy his book?

lately i haven't wanted to read any of the books that have come out. they're the usual "black woman that has everything but a good man until magically he appears".

Interesting......I would like to read more fiction, but they never really seem to hold my interest long enough. As aforementioned, I am reading Sexual Healing, by Jill Nelson and I have had some :lol moments, but I am lukewarm about this book. Anyway I am inclined to agree with bell hooks, when it comes to fiction....see quote.

Black consumers have become complacent. A movie or book that has black characters is often hailed and celebrated no matter its quality. Trashy work by the McMillian sisters or male author Omar Tyree are often wrongly viewed as serious literary work. Where are our books of love letters, our biographical and fictional narratives of complex love relationships between black women and men? And where is our continued support of this work when it appears? ~Excerpt from Salvation: Black People And Love, by bell hooks~

Any thoughts.....anyone?

@Twistednkinky I value your post too! You always seem to post something that will bring my thinking to another level.

That does my little pea pickin :heart good! Thank you for sharing that.....there are many days that I read some posts and I feel intellectually inferior and certainly challenged. I often have to refer to my cyber dictionary, thesaurus and encyclopedia.....if you KWIM! :)

@Twisted, I would love to see more threads on non-fiction authors and books. My slept on authors thread is not only for fiction authors, it is for all genres and categories. We need more individuals to put the knowledge out there for those that may not have a clue. If you type it, someone will read it. And bell hooks? I had no clue as to who that lady was or what she was trying to do. But when I read your thread it piqued my attention.

The Intuitionist? Diop? Dr. Afrika? I had never heard of them until I researched this forum and branched into the Spirituality section. I am proof that this board can bridge the gap. Put it out there for people to see. I promise you, someone is reading it.

Thank you for stating that......I don't see myself as an expert on non-fiction, but I am certainly willing to share any worthy non-fictional reads that I have come across.

I will most definitely pop in on that thread......and add my list of titles/authors too!

LOL! Thanks for the cyber-love and the compliment, Twistednkinky. Folks reading that will probably see it as me being "bitter", "angry" and "aggressive" . It's all good though! I give it straight, no chaser! Gotta up the ante around here!

No problem......we all could use a :blab every now and then. And I love the fact that you serve it up just like Jill Nelson, Straight, No Chaser . I personally find ppl like you refreshing, because you know what you are getting every single time.

Consistency scores big in my book. I am striving to be more of a straight, no chaser kinda gal myself.....I tend to be too diplomatic, which often gets in the way......sometimes, diplomacy has to take a backseat! 8)

Great dialogue community.....nice thread! :thumbsup

Cia
12-31-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Twistednkinky@Dec 31 2003, 01:14 AM

Here is the list of books I've read within the last two months; The Big Picture by Dr Ben Carson...

Dr. Ben Carson......he is absolutely wonderful! I don't know him personally, but I am completely floored by his compassion and generosity. Did you enjoy his book?

YES I DID!!! This book caused me great discomfort and moved me to take a look at my life. I ended up making a list of things that are most important to me. Then I set up a plan towards accomplishing these things. My first step...... signing up for classes. After all hes been through to get to where he is now and the gifts he has given.....I have NO EXCUSE not to add my $.02 to this world.

ITA with you about his compassion and generosity.

Cia
12-31-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Twistednkinky@Dec 31 2003, 01:14 AM
Interesting......I would like to read more fiction, but they never really seem to hold my interest long enough. As aforementioned, I am reading Sexual Healing, by Jill Nelson and I have had some :lol moments, but I am lukewarm about this book. Anyway I am inclined to agree with bell hooks, when it comes to fiction....see quote.

Black consumers have become complacent. A movie or book that has black characters is often hailed and celebrated no matter its quality. Trashy work by the McMillian sisters or male author Omar Tyree are often wrongly viewed as serious literary work. Where are our books of love letters, our biographical and fictional narratives of complex love relationships between black women and men? And where is our continued support of this work when it appears? ~Excerpt from Salvation: Black People And Love, by bell hooks~

Any thoughts.....anyone?

I feel you on this one. I cant even bring myself to look at the Black author fiction table in B&N. The titles remind me of the non stop Black plays that are out...."Mama I know I'm a sinner but god is good" or "Yes, he beat me but the lord will save us" or "How do you love a thugged out Man." :mad Obviously there is an audience for these types of books.

I cant say I know everything that is out there. As happie2bnappie98 mentioned, I get a lot of information from this board. I've been introduced to some WONDERFUL authors via this board. At the same time it seems like there is a strong "as long as its black, I will purchase it without question." mentality that exits today. :-cre So what do I do? I read works by authors of long ago in my spare time.

FYI Redemption Song by Bertice Berry is a good short book.

blumoonbabe
12-31-2003, 11:05 AM
:app ITA with Sekhmet! I couldn't have said it better.

jazzypom
12-31-2003, 12:23 PM
i do read, but just not 'populist' black american fiction - sorry. I find that authors like morrision and mc millon (sp) highly overrated - in terms of their characters and plotlines. With E. Lyn Harris, for example - it seems that every african american 'brother' is on the DL because of his fractured childhood... puhlese - give me a break. :mad

Also, i do find that quite a few AA books could benefit from a little more editing, i find myself literally going through the books with a pencil and making comments (while wondering how this book got published). I am appalled at the casual way in which language is treated in these pieces, and for my own state of being, i tend to avoid quite a few of these authors in libraries and shops.

Also, given the direction that the board is going nowadays (the various cyberdramas, the all out squabbling - i was disguisted at the whole 'soul patrol' versus 'pink patrol' mess that the IR threads became) i am really trying to phase it out of my daily existence. It's an old habit that will be hard to break out of, but i am on my way there - lurking more, posting less.

I do agree with you, sekmet, that quite a few of the posters here need to review basic grammar and spelling skills. I could name a few posters who could do with some serious ESL classes (but that would be petty) and it is actually painful to read posts that are crippled with basic spelling and grammatical errors - semi illiterate women it seems - who will breed (if they have not already) another generation of semi- illterates (that is my snobbery showing - get over it).

I do know that i will 'hear' that since people are online, they are taken up with emotion, and their writing tends to break down in fits and spurts, just like their emotions - but that's no excuse. If you do not care enough to pay attention to your own thoughts, why should i care to read them?

Right, that's just my £0.02p on the whole matter.

Regards,
jp

NaturalSerenitee
12-31-2003, 01:49 PM
I work in a bookstore currently, and I absolutely love to read and have since I was a child. However, the majority of Black fiction today leave me cold.

EJD, Omar Tyree, Michael Baisden, Eboni Snoe, E. Lynn and Zane just keep re-hasing the same tired theme: Black people cannot have any type of relationship (friendship, romantic or family) without major drama.

Really, it is a lot like reading the headlines of the tabloids to cruise the Black fiction aisle at my store -- even the titles are starting to become tiresome and repetitive. One of the newest titles in my store of Black fiction (the author's name escapes me) was "Momma's Baby, Daddy's Maybe" :rolleyes

I don't post a lot here because I thought the main purpose was to discuss books of this type and I don't want to, because I don't read these types of books.

I think books feed the mind as food feeds the body and a lot of these books I liken to fast food -- no real value at all, and can definitely be harmful if taken as a steady diet.

Twistednkinky
12-31-2003, 04:12 PM
I think books feed the mind as food feeds the body and a lot of these books I liken to fast food -- no real value at all, and can definitely be harmful if taken as a steady diet.

Good analogy Naturalserenitee! :thumbsup

If you do not care enough to pay attention to your own thoughts, why should i care to read them?

Are you a teacher Jazzypom? It certainly sounds like it.....you and Sekhmet have really raised my consciousness level about this matter. Thank you for that! I don't believe :huh that I struggle as much with grammar and spelling, but I certainly am working on clarity in my writing. :tiptoe

The titles remind me of the non stop Black plays that are out...."Mama I know I'm a sinner but god is good" or "Yes, he beat me but the lord will save us" or "How do you love a thugged out Man."

Cia, I affectionately refer to these types of plays as YOUR-LEGS-TOO-SHORT-TO-DUNK-ON-JESUS type plays. :)

At the same time it seems like there is a strong "as long as its black, I will purchase it without question." mentality that exits today.

Agreed! :nohuh

YES I DID!!! This book caused me great discomfort and moved me to take a look at my life. I ended up making a list of things that are most important to me. Then I set up a plan towards accomplishing these things. My first step...... signing up for classes. After all hes been through to get to where he is now and the gifts he has given.....I have NO EXCUSE not to add my $.02 to this world.

ITA with you about his compassion and generosity.

Cia, I am so glad to hear a favorably review of his book! Anytime, a book has the ability to propel you and motivate you (general sense of the word-you) out of a place of complacency and stagnation......it's certainly alright in my book.

Dr. Carson really does have a spirit that just radiates and transcends. What a wonderful man!

As for the classes.......good for you! :thumbsup

You hang in there. It took me over 10 yrs. to complete my baccalaureate degree.....because of poorly exercised choices.....not something I am proud of, but I am very proud that I was able to finally accomplish this goal......and in the process help my husband to attain his degree as well. Be patient, but more importantly persevere......enjoy the journey.

I am with you in spirit.... :heart

Sekhmet
12-31-2003, 04:42 PM
You ladies have hit upon another key point in this situation: what's being passed off to our community as black "literature". McMillan, Tyree, Moore Campbell, Harris (although I must admit to owning his stuff because it's like reading an all-black soap opera, lol! :pop ) are considered writers of "literature"? :nohuh That's pure pop garbage. It's a further dumbing down of our minds, even for those who actually take/make time to read.

Additionally, how many times can we read the same stories? Black woman with Huge Chip on Shoulder meets down and out, but good-hearted black man who's trying to get himself together. And the drama insues. :rolling Like Cia said, I often pass by the black authors table/section. I peruse the titles and jackets and am purely disgusted. This is what we're feeding our minds? They are just written versions of that upcoming movie "My Baby's Daddy". :rolling I'd be embarassed to be caught reading most of those books. The last book recommended in the NP Book Club was The Hustler's Wife. WTF?!!! Why? WHY?! :mad That was the last dang straw.

And those plays......why don't we have a throw up smiley? But again, I must admit to having a chuckle or two during those Madea ones that my mother owns :rolling . Forgive her ladies; she knows it's wrong and she tries to be a deeper thinker sometimes. We're working on it.

aquababie19
12-31-2003, 05:07 PM
i've seen the medea plays. they're good for a laugh. i don't draw any substance from them. for that i turn to the classics. my problem is when people only want to read rubbish.

when i worked at b. dalton ( owned by b&n), my manager generally gave me free reign in ordering black literature. i tried to stock the shelves with more than the standard fare. and yes i own e. lynn harris and ejd, but i own plenty of "literature" as well. frankly i hate that baby mama drama mess!

at our store, we had more room to order than b&n does. they blankly ordered what was suggested by home office. also those display tables are usually set up with suggested titles from home office. they have no way of knowing what the readers in a particular store read. i can't really tell you how many aa buyers they might have. so essentially, it's not us that is dictating what we read, but them.

Twistednkinky
12-31-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Sekhmet@Dec 31 2003, 12:42 PM
And those plays......why don't we have a throw up smiley? But again, I must admit to having a chuckle or two during those Madea ones that my mother owns :rolling . Forgive her ladies; she knows it's wrong and she tries to be a deeper thinker sometimes. We're working on it.
My mother is a Tyler Perry fan also! So, I know where you are coming from.....and yes, I too have watched this mindless entertainment with my mother, more than I care to admit. And I even :lol at certain points.

Okay, I am utterly embarrassed :-ba once again! :tiptoe

I'm temporarily out ladies. I am going to learn about New Year's traditions around the world at the library with my manchild.

Enjoy the day.....and Happy New Year! ;-)

Joyfulocs
12-31-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Sekhmet@Dec 30 2003, 07:39 PM

Evil? Elitist? So be it... I agree with everything you have said, and if you stop, I'll never forgive you! ;)

I've always been a reader. My mother always had books in our house even if they were the Reader's Digest Condensed books. Ah... start as children! Hint-hint-hint!!! I still catch flak being a reader from people whose opinion shouldn't even matter. It's still annoying though.

I still read but I'm in school -- full-time student and part-time peer writing tutor -- and it's darned near impossible to read anything that isn't on somebody's syllabus! If I'm going to read anything, it's less than likely it's going to be black fiction. Sorry, but I just can't do it. About a year ago, a girlfriend gave me some books -- church soap opera type -- and I haven't even started them. I just can't get into them.

...it is actually painful to read posts that are crippled with basic spelling and grammatical errors Yes, it is. I'm not a teacher YET, but when I sit down with a student, I can tell from their writing and from speaking with them whether or not they are a reader. The majority are NOT.

In the last 2-3 months I have started bell hooks' salvation - black people and love, Dyson's Why I Love Black Women, C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters, and St. Augustine's Confessions. I started Tolkien's Sil a while ago but I had to put it down to pick up other materials, and there's no telling when I'll finish that! One day...

Lagina
12-31-2003, 07:56 PM
I should have asked why don't people read more non-fiction books. Those fiction books are only published so people can make money off of creating an illusion to soothe the soul and heart and mind of the actually pain that takes place in real life. I no longer read those type of junk books. Like NaturalSerenitee said I don't read fast food no more!! Let me go ask the question in the other topics section.

nappi4life
12-31-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Sekhmet@Dec 30 2003, 07:39 PM
Evil Elitist Sekhmet here :rolling .

1. The overwhelming majority of people on this site just don't read. You can tell that by the level of writing in people's posts. If it isn't confusing your/you're, it's forgetting about the doubling rule (thinning = thining), or just plain old bad spelling: irk=urke and I nearly cried today when I saw that someone spelled no one as knowone. I kid you NOT! :mad

2. Most people watch too much t.v. They'd rather see the "cliff notes" version on the small or big screen than actually stretch their brain to read it for themselves. >:(

This place is a graveyard, which is why I bumped twistednkinky's thread earlier. Look at the NP Book Club. When was the last time they met/read a book? How many times were the discussions rescheduled or simply cancelled for lack of participation? People claim they read, but it's not the truth. It's just a popular thing to say. People want to be known/seen as "readers" because it's good to seen as one. Everyone wants to be considered "smart". But in truth, they simply aren't reading anything but the labels on clothes and hair products. It's quite sad. Actually, it's a dying shame! >:(

Okay. Rant over.

Okay. Rant over for real this time! I promise. :thumbsup

I must say that I agree with you 100%, especially number 1. As children we aren't encouraged to read unless it's for a school assignment. Folks thought I was crazy because I'd rather read a book than go to a movie or hit a party. If you do enjoy reading for fun poeple assume you're a nerd or no fun.

It's is very sad :violin to see so many adults who can't spell or put words in the right place. Sometimes I have to skip over posts because you can't understand what's being said. It's even more upsetting when it's these posters who want to talk down to someone.

I love reading and am almost never without something to read. I agree with the posters who say that popular fiction is pathetic to say the least, however, I enjoy the drama sometimes. I'd rather read it than to have to witness it here in the hood but i don't limit myself to just fiction. I also enjoy biographies and stuff on our history.

If more of you that are into non-fiction suggest titles and make recommendations, I'm sure we could get some interesting, educated dialogue going on. I read the last book for the book club but it took entirely too long to get to the discussion. I had already read four or five other books by then. I also participate in two other book clubs and the kids are more important to me.

Do you any of you (not including teaching assignments) encourage or participate with the kids or teenagers who read in your area? If you do, do you find them receptive to the idea? I have been for about 3 months and it's both fun and a challenge. Just wondering.

Is there somehtign more we can do to encourage the adults to be more active readers? Would it be worth the effort?

nappi4

ETA....@Sekhmet- I always enjoy your posts. I think a lot of people post what they think others want to read. You can tell when someone really means and believe in what they're saying. I appreciate those of you who tell the truth and keep it real, it gives the board some balance. I personally don't go into the forums about "madness" because I know it's going to be a bunch of bullshyt----Thanks for being real!!!

nappi4

silvi
12-31-2003, 09:19 PM
I read science fiction for pleasure.
I read to my children.
I read professonal journals, and professional texts for work.
I read theology books for my theological studies.
However, I don't talk about what I am reading unless it is for a class. I do stop by here to see if there are any discussions going on and to see the latest recommendation.
So far, nothing here falls in a category of "Something I'd like to Read".

Currently reading C.S. Lewis "The Great Divorce", recently finished,
C.S. Lewis "Mere Christianity" .

Peaches
12-31-2003, 09:49 PM
I belong to two B&N Black book discussion groups. One group reads all the stuff that everyone here is talking about.. "he cheated but the sex is good so I took him back :blah ", "I'm an educated black woman with everything and met a raggedy, cheating, abusive man I just have to tell you about", and they love those books. The other group reads the classics: Zora Neale Hurston, James Baldwin, Richard Wright. Some people love drama. I prefer the classic stuff because of the redeeming social value. I'm also drawn to autobiographies.

I just wish that more people on the site would post in this section as opposed to going back and forth about who's married to a white man and who's black enough.

Barbie
12-31-2003, 11:32 PM
I didn't vote, but honestly I don't feel like I could contribute to this group very well because I mainly read fast food, ie. Mary Higgins Clark type mysteries and/or historical romances. I read alot for my job(teacher) and although I love to read I just can't read anyting too deep at the end of the day.

I have read books all my life. As soon as I was old enough to get a public library card my dad took me to sign up for one and I have been reading every since.

However, I am still not too good at spelling.

Knottygal
01-01-2004, 01:48 AM
I'm not sure why there aren't a lot of folks in here. Some are probably very busy and not everyone has a love of reading books.

I enjoy reading myself and for the past couple of years reading a lot of black author's but not limiting myself to them. I've come across some of the trash books too that have no substance that were mentioned in earlier posts. I'm always looking for any good book thats motivating/inspirational/or full of life lessons. I also love conscious/political & anything involving black history.

I'm sure there are more avid readers among us :thumbsup

Kalico
01-01-2004, 05:27 PM
Happy New Year All!

Interesting thread. I am a fiction afficionado. I've been reading it all my life and I am still at it. I read everything from the works of the dead white guys to the intellectual fiction by african and south american writers to light hearted fluff. I don't read a lot american authors. I have read some classical AA writers - e.g. James Baldwin and Richard Wright. But the only modern american writers I can say I enjoy/or have enjoyed are John Grisham and Anne Rice (although the last thing she wrote that was worth reading was circa 1995). I don't participate much in this forum much because I don't usually read the books that are discussed here but if I see something mentioned that I read and enjoy/enjoyed then I will usually chime in. e.g. The last thread I recall participating in was about Harry Potter.

I agree with what a bunch of people said above about the overall shoddy quality of current pop AA lit. I didn't know that we were "allowed" to admit to that in here .... Anyway you breeze through a coupla poorly written morality tales about how my player ways finally caught up with me and you've read all you need to read in the genre. You need to throw in more than that to hold my attention.

I didn't vote. As stated above I know why I don't post here much. I can't speak for other people. I think the last choice is funny though. I always think its funny that people think its true because they read it online. I think the internet is the bureau of misinformation. Its scary that a new generation is going to come of age not knowing this.

Elitism? I'm not going to point the finger one way or the other. I think the good hair bad hair threads and the 17 page ones where we duke it out about whether Ananda Lewis is pure black or not (because if she is then I just know I can have hair just like hers if I take enough msm) are childish. Its something I think we all indulge in when we first come to the hair boards and hopefully we all get to the point where we know better. I am not critical of people's spelling and grammer because I think of the internet as the great equalizer when it comes to written communication. One some people are emotional posters and they are not going to treat each post like its a college essay. Two, I've been through two levels of higher ed and have been exposed to tons of writings by people with perfect grammer and spelling (and they wrote long hand WITHOUT spellcheck!!). These are the master craftspeople of writing. You don't have to be a master to shoot the breeze online. That is not the point here.

BlakStaar
05-10-2004, 10:22 PM
Bump

What ever happened to "Locism?"

BlakStaar
05-10-2004, 10:22 PM
Bump

What ever happened to "Locism?"

winnie
05-11-2004, 05:07 AM
I didn't vote because none of the choices properly explain why I don't post here on a regular basis. I read on average, in addition to textbooks and journals, two books per week. I don't normally discuss them on np.com because I usually have those sort of conversations with my close friends. It's kind of hard to have the same sort of lively discussions on the internet. Somehow, it's just not the same.

After reading everyone's thoughts and opinions on the matter, I've decided to try and increase my presence here. You all are correct: We should be spending more time discussing literature instead of fighting and spreading negative vibes. Also, since it seems that quite a few of us are fed up with the inane babble that passing for AA lit these days, why don't we start a thread or use this one, in which we tell each other of good books that we've read. It can be a booklist for those who could care less about whether or not Pookie gets a man. Perhaps we could name it in Sekmet's honor! Believe it or not, there are actually good books out there. Unfortunately, they get lost amid all of the hoopla and hype for Dickey, Harris, and the rest of the minstrel show.

I'll start it off by recommending "When Washington was in Vogue" by Edward Christopher Williams. Those of you who have read Zora's autobiograpy will remember him as her friend and professor E.C. Williams. The novel was all but forgotten until a few years ago when it was rediscovered in an old Messenger microfilm. It's set during the Jazz Age in Washington DC and details the adventures of the stuffy, conservative Davy Carr as he tries to negotiate his way thru upperclass Black society.

If you want something more contemporary, try Percevail Everett's "Erasure" or Victor LaSalle's "The Ecstatic".

ETA: Improper punctuation and spelling mistakes don't bother me that much. I'm more appalled by the long essays full of incoherent sentences. Sometimes I just cannot discern what points posters are attempting to make.

cmesweet
05-11-2004, 06:58 AM
Well I am in school and I read when I can but there are so many books I have to read for class that by the time i want to read a book that i picked I am too tired. Then it starts all over again the next day. But I have read a few books just not the ones on here and then i just realized a few weeks ago that there was a book club. I have alot of books in my room that am going to read so I probably will not be in this group until those books get done.

kadburyz
05-11-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by winnie@May 11 2004, 12:07 AM
I don't normally discuss them on np.com because I usually have those sort of conversations with my close friends. It's kind of hard to have the same sort of lively discussions on the internet. Somehow, it's just not the same.

There are a plethora of reasons why this may be so.

I respect the fact that many people may not be coming to nappturality for 'intellectual stimulus' via books. Some just want hair advice.
I would not assume that less traffic here is an indication of the lack of reading by the members or the black community as a whole :)

My reasons are more along the lines of the above. I am in about two book clubs.
We discuss books and critique movies ad neuseum when I come here usually I will leave a short comment if I find a thread on a book I have read. Will try and get more involved.
I am also not into fiction and romance :razz
I notice many books too these days with similar themes and many authors are notorious for doing this.

*Checks and rechecks her grammar*

DreamyNaps
05-11-2004, 06:48 PM
Hi Lagina,
My excuse was school but now that I'm out for the summer...its on and popping!

kinkykhick
05-11-2004, 09:18 PM
my random thoughts (get your red pen's out)

I love to read, but my spelling and grammar leaves much to be desired.
I've never been part of a book club or discussed books I've read outside of a classroom setting so I'm new at this.
I'm broke so I can't afford to buy many books right now.
I'm hoping for more participance in the Black Skin, White Masks thread.
I'm avoiding the library because I have fees to pay for keeping The Devinci Code out too long, (let my SO read it, oh, the guilt)

Right now I'm reading Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man. I know it's a classic but I really not into it yet.

Jill Nelson's Volunteer Slavery is one of my all time fav's.

P.s. I didn't vote in the poll

notroz2u
05-12-2004, 08:16 PM
I read all the time, just have not come on the boards to post about it 8)
I have always loved to read every since I was a child
When I visit these boards I am usually on the hair discussions :tiptoe

Twistednkinky
05-12-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by kinkykhick@May 11 2004, 04:18 PM
Jill Nelson's Volunteer Slavery is one of my all time fav's.

Good book.

I bought this book about a year or so ago for .25! :-)

Jill Nelson is very interesting to say the least. Did you know that she has a column with niaonline.com?

Check it out:

http://www.niaonline.com/NiaLD/NewDesign/h...2049,17,00.html (http://www.niaonline.com/NiaLD/NewDesign/homepage_channel/homepage_article_links/1,2049,17,00.html)

Peace....

Deej
05-12-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by notroz2u@May 12 2004, 04:16 PM
I read all the time, just have not come on the boards to post about it 8)
I have always loved to read every since I was a child
When I visit these boards I am usually on the hair discussions :tiptoe
Same here.

kinkykhick
05-12-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Twistednkinky+May 12 2004, 02:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Twistednkinky @ May 12 2004, 02:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kinkykhick@May 11 2004, 04:18 PM
Jill Nelson&#39;s Volunteer Slavery is one of my all time fav&#39;s.

Good book.

I bought this book about a year or so ago for .25! :-)

Jill Nelson is very interesting to say the least. Did you know that she has a column with niaonline.com?

Check it out:

http://www.niaonline.com/NiaLD/NewDesign/h...2049,17,00.html (http://www.niaonline.com/NiaLD/NewDesign/homepage_channel/homepage_article_links/1,2049,17,00.html)

Peace.... [/b][/quote]
Hey Twistednkinky,

Thanks for the info, I&#39;ll check that out.
I believe her brother Stanley(?) just did a documentry on the Emmit Till murder, I think it&#39;s him, anyway. :-?

mgtgcc
05-13-2004, 01:28 PM
As the choices listed for the poll don&#39;t pertain to me, I did not vote.

On average, I read 2 to 3 books per week. This is exclusive of any career related manuals I read to stay abreast in my field.

I like many of the other members, have little tolerance for the garbage published today as popular AA fiction. Don&#39;t get me wrong, I read fiction from all genres, however the imagination and intellectual capacity of many of the AA authors leaves much to be desired.

I am pretty much a lurker. For me, reading is a personally gratifying experience. I don&#39;t necessarily feel the need nor desire to discuss what I have read. However, I will be mindful to discuss what I have read and/or recommend books for reading.

1 :heart

Kashanti
05-13-2004, 08:20 PM
Another reader here.... I didn&#39;t vote because none of the choices accurately assessed my opinion. I really just discovered this room so I&#39;ll be sure to post here now. I like to read whenever I get a chance, but I spend a lot of time reading and writing as a part of my Ph.D. program. I&#39;m not a fan of most of the Black fiction out there. Truthfully, a lot of it is garbage. :smug I do tend to read a lot of non-fiction. And journaling, which I hope to one day publish into my very own book someday. :rolleyes I DO spend a lot of time feeding my hair obsession by lurking in the hair forums. Guilty as charged. But I&#39;m a reader as well -- and I wanted to make myself known. I will try to post more often, but I do get busy with my other pursuits.

Lagina
05-14-2004, 02:45 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone! I&#39;m happy to see we have more readers among us. I am a very bad speller (good with numbers though) but I love to read interesting things that I never knew about. Also thanks winnie for the recommendation of "When Washington was in Vogue" sounds interesting! Keep reading everyone (yes textbooks are included) :)

ETA: Twistednkinky :app for the link of niaonline! Priceless

Twistednkinky
05-14-2004, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by Lagina@May 13 2004, 09:45 PM
ETA: Twistednkinky :app for the link of niaonline! Priceless
:thumbsup No problem....my pleasure.

Be sure to sign up for the samples. I think the current sample is carrot oil by ORS. :)

mgtgcc
05-14-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Lagina@May 13 2004, 08:45 PM
I am a very bad speller (good with numbers though) but I love to read interesting things that I never knew about.
As long as you gain/absorb something from what you have read, ie. new insight into something -- that&#39;s what&#39;s important. :razz

1 :rainfro

allsmiles
05-17-2004, 02:26 AM
I did not vote. I think I would visit/post more often if I read the type of books most people read here but I don&#39;t. I read books that some people say are trash. It&#39;s like you&#39;re only supposed to read a certain type of book on this forum.

Fourblue
05-17-2004, 10:21 PM
Most of my friends who do love to read are finding it hard to squeeze into their busy schedules. I have always loved to read, but when I went back to work after being a homemaker for 16 years. I notice in my book journal that I just wasn&#39;t getting the time in. Now some people might not agree with me, but to keep from having withdrawal book syndrome I came down off of my high horse and checked out a book on cassette. Now even though I&#39;m working I can still at least listen to a book. I still read alot though. I still have 3 children to chaffeur and wait at practice so I read everywhere. When I go t the library and I know how busy my schedule is I will pick out a short book. Since I work in the school system I can always look forward to picking up a big book over the summer.
I think for avid readers you&#39;ll make a way to read a book. My husband doesn&#39;t understand reading for entertainment. He reads only for information or to gain knowledge, however to please me he did download Pride and Prejudice into his Compac Ipac.

mslady
05-18-2004, 02:35 AM
I did not vote because none of the descriptions fit my situation. I do come into the forum. I mostly lurk. I read all the time. I take the bus to work so I read going in and coming home. I read when I&#39;m in the tub, before I go to bed. If my weekend isn&#39;t to full, I can really get in a lot of reading.

I love to light my candles, put on my comfy socks, make a nice big cup of tea get really cozy......and read. I am also a part of a book club too. On the average I read one to two books a week.

Right now i&#39;m trying to get into some classics. Other than that I read a lot of fiction and it seems like there isn&#39;t much discussion on fiction work.