PDA

View Full Version : Audio Books

Twistednkinky
12-31-2003, 01:58 AM
Do you utilize audio books? If so, what is your preference tape, cd or mp3-cd? If not, why?

Do you enjoy audio books more or less than reading books?

What books have you listened to on audio?

Feel free to share anything else you would like to, about audio books.

Thanks..... :)

aquababie19
12-31-2003, 04:45 AM
i have never bought an audio book. they are good sellers though. most people that purchased them when i worked in the bookstore were drivers who wanted something to listen to while driving.

Curlysaurus
12-31-2003, 04:51 AM
I used to work at a business (http://www.audioadventures.com) (when it was located in Boulder, Colorado) that sold and rented audio books (on "Stone Age" tapes). The majority of our customers were truck drivers and libraries.

It was one of the absolute best jobs I've ever had b/c I basically did kinda mindless work BUT got to listen to books while I did it. I listened to a gadzillion fiction and nonfiction (including self help, psychology) books! I think that many "famous" actors do some of their best work on audio books because they have to convincingly portray each character as well as the narrator.

Since 1997, I haven't listened to that many audio books. The few that I have actually purchased are unabridged CDs that I imagined would be fun to hear someone actually read (some Stephen King, Al Franken's latest rant :thumbsup , etc.) My preference is definitely for actually reading and not listening.

TnK, what have you listened to?

naturalpeach
12-31-2003, 04:57 AM
I haven't ever purchased any audio books. Although, I have been quite intrigued by the thought for a while now.

LPB

Twistednkinky
12-31-2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Curlysaurus@Dec 31 2003, 12:51 AM
TnK, what have you listened to?
Believe it or not, I have not listened to anything yet! :) But I am committed to trying something new every month, so I am going to take on a two-fold goal......fiction, which I rarely read and listening to it on audio.

What would you suggest?

Here's my concern, I really like reading the written word and I am really attached to the idea of having a book in hand, so I know that I will have to make adjustments. But will I be able to?

My other concern is the person's voice......I like voices that are melodic.....with a lot of range.......sturdy voices.....voices with character. You know like a Ruby Dee, Ossie Davis, James Earl Jones, Whoopi Goldberg, Oprah Winfrey, Maya Angelou type voices......will I be able to find that with audio? The voice thing seems like a big obstacle.

I just don't want to be disappointed, but I will give it a try.....that's for sure.

BTW......are you a dinosaur lover......Curlysaurus? Palentologists perhaps?

My son is a dinosaur nut.....we are going to see an African Dinosaur exhibit this week at the conservatory.......he just can't wait! I am a little excited too! :-)

Saundus
12-31-2003, 07:04 AM
I have listened to one audio book on Managing Stress. It did nothing for me. Maybe it would have if I had taken notes or something. To me an audio is not the same as reading. Reading and deciphering the words on paper is much more meaningful and lasting than listening. It allows me to use my imagination more.

Curlysaurus
12-31-2003, 07:26 AM
TwistedandKinky, that's so neat that your son is a dinosaur nut! Little kids are so cute when they really "get into" something LOL. I don't know too much about dinosaurs but I did like Jurassic Park :)

I'm totally with you on the whole sensation of actually reading a book. I like to turn the pages, put my bookmark in at a good spot and occasionally even underline.

One of the best audio books I've heard was one of Stephen King's short stories being read by Whoopi Goldberg! She was a fabulous reader! I recommend maybe perusing the selection at the library. You could see if there's anything interesting there and not waste your $ (which is definitely a priority for me). A lot of the books are abridged but not all of them. Barnes and Noble has a huge selection, including non-fiction.

I used to check out books from my work and listen to them in the bathtub. Commuting time or right before going to bed might be other good times to listen. I guess the key for me was just realizing that it is a different experience than reading. I found that it actually took a little more attention than reading b/c you can miss part of the plot and have to rewind if you're not listening closely!

Hmm, what kind of fiction do you think you'd be interested in? They are some great readers and some sucky ones out there. Amazon.com lists audiobooks and their readers. Looks like Toni Morrison reads the unabridged (12 hours :shock ) version of her Beloved, which was nominated for a Grammy!

Twistednkinky
12-31-2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Curlysaurus@Dec 31 2003, 03:26 AM
One of the best audio books I've heard was one of Stephen King's short stories being read by Whoopi Goldberg! She was a fabulous reader!

Hmm, what kind of fiction do you think you'd be interested in? They are some great readers and some sucky ones out there. Amazon.com lists audiobooks and their readers. Looks like Toni Morrison reads the unabridged (12 hours :shock ) version of her Beloved, which was nominated for a Grammy!
12 hours....... :huh ay carumba!!

You know I am not sure what I would be interested in.....but I am really trying to have an "open mind". I was thinking about Cane River......I have heard nothing but glowing reports offline and online about this book, but I don't know.

I like the fact that Amazon.com tells you who the reader is......thanks for sharing that, because I was not aware of that. :doh

I am going to give audiobooks a try and then I will report back to let posters know of my experiences with audiobooks.

You just never know......I might actually like them. :)

Twistednkinky
12-31-2003, 10:01 PM
Okay Curlysaurus and community......I just came back from the library and I chose Their Eyes Were Watching God, by Zora Neale Hurston and performed by Ruby Dee! :-)

It is unabridged and contains six tapes. I am very excited about my selection. I really enjoy Ruby Dee and I have read this particular selection before, so I anticipate a favorably experience when I am done.

Peace......

Curlysaurus
12-31-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Twistednkinky@Dec 31 2003, 03:01 PM
Okay Curlysaurus and community......I just came back from the library and I chose Their Eyes Were Watching God, by Zora Neale Hurston and performed by Ruby Dee! :-)

It is unabridged and contains six tapes. I am very excited about my selection. I really enjoy Ruby Dee and I have read this particular selection before, so I anticipate a favorably experience when I am done.

Peace......
Enjoy! :thumbsup

crazycoil
12-31-2003, 11:04 PM
Audio books are fun, especially fiction books. I sometimes borrow them from my local library, if I find a good title. I like to curl up on the couch and turn on the tape/CD, get cosy and enjoy a good story. It kind of reminds me of bedtime story time as a child :)

pfenix
01-01-2004, 04:11 AM
I like audiobooks and prefer books on cd since I can burn my own mp3s from them. I usually buy audio version of favorites like Pride and Prejudice and Harry Potter. I'm a fast reader and find the slower pace of speech combined with an emotive narrator adds new dimensions to these stories. I particularly like the Potter audio because the narrator gives each character a different voice and I never read to myself in that manner.

I'm currently enjoying an unabridged download edition of Moby D1ck and it only cost $9.95!!! :) The unabridged tape set is around $50 and the cd set a whopping $160. I plan to read the book in its entirety one day, but I only need to note references to black crew and listening has been more efficient than flipping through pages hoping I find all the references I need. The audio book is mighty long at 21 hours, but I divy up the time at work.

One really bad thing about audiobooks is when authors are their own narrators and don't quite have the voice for it. I like Richard Marcinko's Rogue Warrior books, but Mr. ultimate badass ex navy Seal has a thin, high pitched voice like a woman. I also wanted to buy Francis Mayes' Under the Tuscan Sun because her interviews are so vivid, but her breathy, southern monotone and Italian mispronounciations only serve to take me out of the book rather than drawing me in to it.

*editid to fix typos and clean up the D-word :)

Twistednkinky
01-01-2004, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by Curlysaurus@Dec 31 2003, 06:07 PM
Enjoy! :thumbsup
Thanks! :)

It kind of reminds me of bedtime story time as a child

That sounds nice.....I had not thought of it in that manner. Thank you for sharing. :)

Pfenix.....your feedback is greatly appreciated. I am very much a novice to audiobooks, but I am looking forward to listening to Ruby Dee narrate Their Eyes Were Watching God, which is 7 hours (4 cassettes).

Additionally, this audiobook also includes Mules And Men, which is 3 hours (2 cassettes). I have not heard of Mules And Men, but I am sure that it will be interesting.

As, for Ruby Dee, well IMO, her voice is very solid and melodic. I have always enjoyed her voice, so the fact that she is narrating is an added bonus. :thumbsup

Please continue to grace us with your presence. I really would like to know what else you have listened too. And yes, I am open to suggestions.

Happy New Year to ALL! :dance:

pfenix
01-01-2004, 06:49 AM
TnK: Glad to read that you've found an audiobook to start with. If you're particurlarly concerned about narrators, check if a desired book is available from audbile.com--they have 15 minute audio samples :thumbsup

I'm having a bit of a narrator delimma myself. The abridged version of Memoirs of a Geisha (http://www.audible.com/adbl/store/product.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1347712492.1072940290 @@@@&BV_EngineID=cccgadckfjlkklicefecegedfhfdfon.0&uniqueKey=1072940197479&productID=BK_RAND_000140) has a superb narrator, but the unabridged version is read by a different and unexciting narrator :( I barely finished chapter 2 in the print version of the book, but may well end up reading because I'll miss a lot if I go with the excellent abridged version... I always want unabridged editions because I want to hear every single word :lol

Right now I'm listening to writing and sailing related books. I've been S L O W L Y writing two novels of my own and often replay Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird and Stephen King's On Writing for positive reinforcement of their recommended best practices.

I'm listening to the novels Moby D1ck and Master and Commander to familiarize myself with nautical lingo in addition to just experiencing the great story telling of authors like Herman Melville & Partrick O'brien. I read these type of books for pleasure, but these two lengthy novels started taking too much time away from my writing efforts.
---

As for recommendations, I think you've done well by starting with classics you like. To be honest, I seldom seek out particular audio books. I usually just look over the shelves at the library or bookstore bargain bin and pick whatever catches my eye, be it an intresting title, cover, etc. The following list reflects that :) Warning: I've been in a non-fiction mood as of late. The first two are the only ones haven't read and don't plan to read in print form.

A trip To the Beach (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1587880164/qid=1072938690/sr=12-1/104-0264053-1072737?v=glance&s=books)
Firehouse (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1590863437/qid=1072938469/sr=12-5/104-0264053-1072737?v=glance&s=books)
Extra Virgin (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060958111/ref=lpr_g_2/104-0264053-1072737?v=glance&s=books)
Year in Provence (http://www.audible.com/adbl/store/product.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@2051163889.1072938224 @@@@&BV_EngineID=cccgadckfjlklhjcefecegedfhfdgfi.0&uniqueKey=1072938806218&pageType=preliminaryResults&productID=BK_AREN_000242)
Perfum (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0375725849/qid=1072939250/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_3/104-0264053-1072737)
Founding Brothers (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0375705244/qid=1072939407/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-0264053-1072737?v=glance&s=books)
Salt: A World History (http://www.audible.com/adbl/store/product.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@2051163889.1072938224 @@@@&BV_EngineID=cccgadckfjlklhjcefecegedfhfdgfi.0&uniqueKey=1072939324644&pageType=preliminaryResults&productID=BK_NEWM_000035)
Cod: A biograhpy of the fish that changed the world (http://www.audible.com/adbl/store/product.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@2051163889.1072938224 @@@@&BV_EngineID=cccgadckfjlklhjcefecegedfhfdgfi.0&uniqueKey=1072939401725&pageType=preliminaryResults&productID=BK_NEWM_000004)

Twistednkinky
01-01-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by pfenix@Jan 1 2004, 02:49 AM
TnK: Glad to read that you've found an audiobook to start with. If you're particurlarly concerned about narrators, check if a desired book is available from audbile.com--they have 15 minute audio samples :thumbsup

As for recommendations, I think you've done well by starting with classics you like. To be honest, I seldom seek out particular audio books. I usually just look over the shelves at the library or bookstore bargain bin and pick whatever catches my eye, be it an intresting title, cover, etc. The following list reflects that :)
Pfenix......You are a gem! :heart

Thank you so much for taking the time to offer such comprehensive feedback. I wish you all the best with your writing endeavors. :)

TnK

naturalpeach
01-02-2004, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by Twistednkinky@Dec 31 2003, 05:01 PM
[color=purple]Okay Curlysaurus and community......I just came back from the library and I chose Their Eyes Were Watching God, by Zora Neale Hurston and performed by Ruby Dee! :-)
TnK, congratulations on your selection. I read Their Eyes Were Watching God my Senior year in High School and loved it. And Ruby Dee is a Sage of a jewel. I heard hear recite Langston Hughes' poem Mother to Son...and man she blazed my flame of love for that piece all over again. Enjoy sis.

LPB

Twistednkinky
01-02-2004, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by naturalpeach@Jan 2 2004, 12:21 AM
Enjoy sis.

LPB
I plan to.....THANKS! :-)

I will start listening to the audiobooks on Monday.....when school resumes for my son. The holiday break is coming to a close....thank goodness! :dance:

I'm so excited.....I just can't hide it..... :d)

I love my son....but I miss my M E time! :)

sassyny
01-02-2004, 06:24 AM
I like audiobooks! I usually have a book with me everywhere I go, but for the last couple of months, I have been working on some crochet projects and I have been unable to read as much as I would like. I decided to buy some audiobooks on cd and I am hooked! I love the fact that I can enjoy two pastimes at the same time. I no longer buy the audiobooks because they are quite expensive(at least$30) so I just go to my local library instead. Also I tend to listen to books that would I read once and never read again.

ZenDiva
01-02-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by pfenix@Dec 31 2003, 10:49 PM

I'm having a bit of a narrator delimma myself. The abridged version of Memoirs of a Geisha (http://www.audible.com/adbl/store/product.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1347712492.1072940290 @@@@&BV_EngineID=cccgadckfjlkklicefecegedfhfdfon.0&uniqueKey=1072940197479&productID=BK_RAND_000140) has a superb narrator, but the unabridged version is read by a different and unexciting narrator :( I barely finished chapter 2 in the print version of the book, but may well end up reading because I'll miss a lot if I go with the excellent abridged version... I always want unabridged editions because I want to hear every single word :lol

Right now I'm listening to writing and sailing related books. I've been S L O W L Y writing two novels of my own and often replay Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird and Stephen King's On Writing for positive reinforcement of their recommended best practices.

I'm listening to the novels Moby D1ck and Master and Commander to familiarize myself with nautical lingo in addition to just experiencing the great story telling of authors like Herman Melville & Partrick O'brien. I read these type of books for pleasure, but these two lengthy novels started taking too much time away from my writing efforts.
---

As for recommendations, I think you've done well by starting with classics you like. To be honest, I seldom seek out particular audio books. I usually just look over the shelves at the library or bookstore bargain bin and pick whatever catches my eye, be it an intresting title, cover, etc. The following list reflects that :) Warning: I've been in a non-fiction mood as of late. The first two are the only ones haven't read and don't plan to read in print form.

I love ...love books on tape and have been listening to them for years. I got hooked during my long exploring drives across Europe.

Now I check out several per week at the local library. I ventured out and bought, The Work, by Bryon Katie last month.

Also listening to V. Frankel's Man's Search for Meaning... 8) " Memoirs of a G. is my all time favorite... !! :bis Engrossing ...and wonderful story...

Phenix ...I only chimed in to say thanks for the links to audible.com. I still not up on all that is involved, as I am not a techie.. I do have a MP3 player , that is never used :doh so its an exciting idea to have so many option available... :)

Thanks ...I'm off to decipher which service is right for me... :tiptoe

Peaches
01-02-2004, 04:43 PM
I love audio books, but it depends on who is reading. Jo-Marie Peyton is an excellent reader, but Shari Belafonte is not too good. I've found that people who have a background in theater or some other form of acting are far better readers than the authors who read their own books, with the exception of people like Iyanla, who seems to be a very passionate speaker.

soleil
01-02-2004, 06:30 PM
I love audiobooks that relate to self-empowerment such as Les Brown and Iyanla Vanzant audio tapes. I listen to them on the way to work, as I work toward my dreams of entrepreneurship and continued positiveness and empowerment :)
..Soleil

Twistednkinky
01-02-2004, 06:48 PM
Also listening to V. Frankel's Man's Search for Meaning... 8) "

Man's Search For Meaning.....deep....very deep!

Although, this is a relatively short book, I was not able to complete it immediately. I did not realize how psychically wounded I was (still am) until I read Frankel's book. This book is bone chilling.....too many parallels to slavery, IMO.

Nevertheless, what I appreciate about this book is the human spirit....which jumps off the pages at you.....the human spirit is amazing....absolutely amazing!

Transcending above dehumanizing circumstances and then going a step further to create something that is meaningful and will help many people......again, truly amazing.

ZenDiva....I would really like to get your feedback on this audiobook, in terms of the narrator. Would you give it a :thumbsup or a :nohuh ? Perhaps, I will add to my list of future audiobooks.

Jo-Marie Peyton is an excellent reader,

The lady from Family Matters? If so, I can see that.....she has one of those voices with a lot of character.

but Shari Belafonte is not too good.

Hmm.....I vaguely recall her voice. What specifically did you find unfavorable about Ms. Belafonte's voice?

Iyanla, who seems to be a very passionate speaker.

That does not surprise me.....not really a big fan of hers, but I do have a book that was passed on to me......I should check to see if it is on audiobook.

Great feedback.....carry on. :tiptoe

ZenDiva
01-02-2004, 09:54 PM
I must say ... I have preference an author to narrate their own stories.. and have been known to skip it entirely on a whim, if some actor is 'performing'. On other occasions , ( more forgiving perhaps), I at least 'attempt' to give 'em a try. If their tone ..intonation , voice is off ...grates on my nerve , then it goes back into its cover... 8)

TKinky~ Man's Search for Meaning is narrated by Mr. Frankel..and is indeed deep, thought provoking. I visited several of the concentration camps he describes, during my HS years in Germany. Reminds me how resilent we are as humans, so hence , why I'm revisiting it this new year... I first read the book in the early 80's.
:thumbsup

Twistednkinky
01-02-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by ZenDiva@Jan 2 2004, 05:54 PM
TKinky~ Man's Search for Meaning is narrated by Mr. Frankel..and is indeed deep, thought provoking. I visited several of the concentration camps he describes, during my HS years in Germany. Reminds me how resilent we are as humans, so hence , why I'm revisiting it this new year... I first read the book in the early 80's.
:thumbsup
Wow!!! :shocked Mmm......ZenDiva.....you visited the concentration camps? As a teen? :shocked Surely, this was a life-changing experience for you right?

I am so slow about things.....I was introduced to this book 4 yrs. ago in a Counseling Psych. course. I can vividly reminder......sobbing uncontrollably when reading this book. To say that I was not mentally prepared to read this book is an understatement.

Oddly enough, many of my cohorts were not able to read this book in it's entirety either. At first, I thought it was just me, because I have been known to be HYPERsensitive at times.....but, it wasn't just me. There were only two other Blacks in the class and they too shared similiar experiences.

Thankfully, we had an instructor who was very sympathetic and allowed for alternative assignments. We were all required to write a 3-5 page essay on the parallels to slavery, along with role-playing about what specifically was problematic for us, as it related to our current circumstances.

Sorry for the :blah and incessant rambling...... :)

Anyway, thank you for your feedback......for sure this will be my next selection for an audiobook.

:doh Slowly but surely, my January reads are moving closer to February. 8)

blackdixie
01-06-2004, 08:26 PM
I enjoy audio book, I listen to them in my car. I drive for adleast an hour each day so instead of cursing other drivers or listening to the same song on 3 different radio stations, I listen to audio books. I'm now listening to "Gather In My Name", by Maya A.

kadburyz
01-06-2004, 11:21 PM
I listened to part of The Africans by David Lamb on audio tapes just cauz I wanted to try audio books.

Never again.

I prefer to listen to music/comedy/radio while driving and not books because when I read I write notes and quotes I like and have a certain pace I like. I also have to be in a certain mode and state of mind and comfort while reading which cannot be achieved while at the wheel.

Another annoying thing, to me, is the reading was sooo slow! I read very fast and was frustrated by the pace.

toy
01-15-2004, 10:23 PM
i've only listened to a couple of books on audio b/c i prefer to read them, plus it's difficult for me to devote the time to just LISTEN AND FOCUS on what's being said (i'm usually road trippin' or something when i do listen to them). having said that though, my two favorite audio books are Cane River and The Seasons of Beento Blackbird by Akusua Busia. both were performed by the authors themselves and were unabridged. the benifit to listening to a tape over a CD is that you don't lose your place, so to speak, if you decide to take the tape out of your car and listen while you're at home, whereas that's an issue with a CD. i've never used the mp3 format.

Sekhmet
12-04-2006, 08:48 AM
Now there are these....

http://www.evpl.org/digitalbooks/images/playaway-purpose%20driven%20life.jpg.

No need for a CD or tape player. No downloading. Just plug in your headphones and go. What do y'all think? Anybody try them?

Seven
12-04-2006, 09:09 AM
I love them. I used to purchase them frequently. They were especially helpful for the days I had to sit in traffic. I also like to give them to my mother. She is not an avid reader and it was my way of cramming books down her throat. :) She would listen but not read. She also had a long commute.

I think I prefer when the author reads their own work - I say think because someone else may be able to do a much better job - but you'll never know. The quality of the experience can be seriously effected by the reader's ability.

http://www.evpl.org/digitalbooks/images/playaway-purpose%20driven%20life.jpg
[/b]
I like that but for some reason I'm :icon_eek13: I think it's because it's new and I would need to know how it worked. What makes it go round? :huh:

I'm sure I'll get over it. I better, one day I may be able to download my favorite book to an ipod.

Knsoroma
12-04-2006, 12:01 PM
I like audiobooks. I used to get the CDs and listen while I travel, clean my house, whenever really.

But now I like the Mp3 versions. A lot of libraries have e-books now where you download a book from the library website. Its great!

I recently downloaded God Don't Like Ugly

Hamira
12-04-2006, 09:32 PM
I've never listened to an audiobook, but now that I have my ipod, I'm just looking for things to fill it up with. I don't think I can do fiction and will probably stick to non-fiction. I have to travel b/w here and Houston which is six hours round trip so I'm sure these will come in handy. Any non-fiction recs?

sonshinescoils
12-05-2006, 10:56 PM
stephen king's on writing :)

Felisha
12-21-2006, 10:50 AM
For me audiobooks are good. I love to read, but between work and a family of 6, I can't really devote my time to read like I used to. The majority of my book reading now is limited to children's material. :) Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong w/ reading to the chillens. :) With an audiobook I can plug it in on my commute to work and enjoy. I just finished BeBe Moore Campbell's "What you Owe Me", narrated by Caroline Clay. (She is a good narrator by the way) Now I am listening to "Invisible Man" by Ralph Ellison.

sonshinescoils
12-22-2006, 12:07 AM
listening to darkly dreaming dexter by Jeff Lindsay. i didn't feel like sitting on the computer or watching tv (i don't do much of that anyway), and didn't feel like the eyestrain of reading--even reading a very good book the joy luck club--so i decided to pop in dex. very good. darkly hilarious :lol:

gigglezk
12-27-2006, 08:24 PM
I'm currently listening to The Audacity of Hope read by Barack Obama. I swear that man's voice spills out like liquid silk. He is a great reader. It really sounds as if he is talking to you. Sometimes I burst out into laughter when I catch myself talking back to him, lol

sonshinescoils
12-27-2006, 11:20 PM
girl, that's just because you want him :lol:

nuberianne
12-28-2006, 07:46 PM
I started listening to audiobooks almost 2 months ago. I am in nursing school and have to drive an hour to get there with nothing but farms and cows on the way. Listening to the garbage on the radio gets very frustrating. I listen mainly to fictional mystery books. I am almost ashamed to say that I borrowed Possessing the Secret of Joy written and read by Alice Walker and was so bored I almost ran of the road into a ditch. There were only four tapes and when I got to the end of the first side of tape 1 I couldn't take it anymore. I would encourage everyone to go to your local library and borrow an audiobook.

gigglezk
12-28-2006, 10:26 PM
girl, that's just because you want him :lol:
[/b]

I have no idea what you are talking about...
http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/love008.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/love008.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/love008.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/love008.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)
http://www.ourfaithourvote.org/atf/cf/{672795DC-5E75-49F5-AA1D-4B8EFB01DCA1}/barack%20obama.jpg

:wub: :wub:

ZenDiva
12-28-2006, 10:43 PM
I'm currently listening to The Audacity of Hope read by Barack Obama. I swear that man's voice spills out like liquid silk. He is a great reader. It really sounds as if he is talking to you. Sometimes I burst out into laughter when I catch myself talking back to him, lol
[/b]
This post prompted me to search out Obama's book. :wub: The librarian look me straight in the face and said, 'there's a waiting list Ms. ZD' --me, no problem, add me to it..then, she informs me that the list is 160 folks deep... :( I, in amazement, replied, woooooww.) She says his voice is like silk...I cracked up LOUDLY in the library..

So, it seems I will be purchasing it from the local bookstore or dowloading it from itunes.... Either way, I cant wait to digest the content and partake of his silky cords in the process...uuhmm... :wub:

natural_butterfly4
01-16-2007, 03:21 PM
I listens to audio books while I'm at work. I find it really enjoyable. The day doesn't seem so long. I love to listen/read fiction books. I have a hard time finding African American fiction on audio. Anyone know of a souce with a good selection?

TwistedXn
01-16-2007, 03:35 PM
Just finished listening to Ishmael which was an outstanding story.

Now off to audible.com to get "silky smooth" :lol:
:bolt:

Jazitones
02-04-2007, 08:48 AM
I haven't tried audio books yet. I love to read books so I think will try one on my IPOD. Let ya'll kow if I like audio books. :)

nappysurgeon
02-13-2007, 10:07 AM
It's better than listening to someone dropping their booty and skeet skeet.

italdumpling
02-13-2007, 11:39 AM
[/b]

:bolt: off to the library. never tried audiobooks, but i'll have make this my first :-)