PDA

View Full Version : Corrine Bailey Rae

locd4life
03-17-2006, 04:14 PM
what is your take on her? Her voice is very angelic. great style. music is hot....

Cococure76
03-17-2006, 06:36 PM
What a coincidence. I was gonna start a topic about her today, but decided to search just in case someone else started one previously. And looka here, you started one today.

Anyway, I've only heard the one song that they play on VH-1 Soul. I can't think of the name, but it song good. Pretty different. I'm interested in hearing others view on her cd, if anyone has heard it. I went to Amazon.com to check it out. She got pretty good reviews. However, I'm guessing since it's an import to the U.S., they don't have samples of the music.

afromation
03-17-2006, 06:45 PM
I've seen her video on VH-1 soul a couple of times this week. She's cool

bollyhair
03-17-2006, 07:26 PM
How funny,...I just did a search on her two nights ago! I also saw her video for the song "Like A Star" on VH1 and I, too, liked her vibe. I like that whole neo-soul sound and searched for her music on Ebay and Amazon, which, you can only get from the UK! I also called local music stores and NOBODY had heard of her or had her in their systems. If anyone finds her cds in the states, let us know! Oh,...I also liked her hair (we should try to recruit her as a member if she's not already! ;) )

SpokenWordz
03-17-2006, 11:37 PM
What a coincidence! I just saw her video ("Like A Star") on VH-1 soul no more than 20 minutes ago! I'm feeling her style and about to look her up on Amazon.com. Hopefully, her CD doesn't cost too much!

SpokenWordz

Ketchup
03-18-2006, 09:56 PM
hehe.... was gonna start a topic myself :D :P ... she's lovely....We like her alot over here in the UK too...one of my fav songs which isn't on her album is 'Young n Foolish'..try copying that song.. It'll give u an idea of how so worth it.. buying her album would be.. :D

KhymFree
03-19-2006, 05:14 AM
I keep seeing her video on VH1 Soul.

Love her voice. :)

However, i keep thinking BRACES...BRACES..BRACES...when i watch her video. :D

Annlucilu
03-20-2006, 10:23 AM
Well when I saw her video the sound was turned down because I was talking to my sister on the phone, so I can't really comment on her sound, but I remember thinking she was drop dead gorgeous. There's just something about her face....

nappylicious
03-20-2006, 07:46 PM
I saw her video last night on BET JAZZ channel--Soul Sessions. I like it..

Cococure76
03-20-2006, 10:42 PM
That&#39;s not nice, Khymfree <shaking my finger>

But, perhaps after next payday, I&#39;ll brave it out and order it from Amazon. I swear VH-1 Soul is force feeding this girl on me. And I&#39;m ready to give. If no one buys it before me, I&#39;ll let you know what I think.

Godsgem
04-04-2006, 06:43 PM
I also saw her on BET Soul Sessions and liked her song "Like a Star" It&#39;s very pretty and smooth.

malissann
04-05-2006, 08:00 AM
What a great find! I&#39;m really loving her voice. She reminds me a bit of Erykah Badu. Border and B&N didn&#39;t have her album, but I think I may be able to get it from amazon.

I&#39;m excited about this one!
Malissa

malissann
04-05-2006, 02:50 PM
BTW, I loved the artwork on Corinne&#39;s album/website so much that I did a search for the artist. Her name is Irene Rukerebuka and she has a magazine called &#39;Rant.&#39; Irene&#39;s napptural, too! I did a google on her. I love her work. It reminds me of a scrapbooking product line called "Urban Coutoure" by Basic Grey. Makes me want to just go and scrapbook. :D

Malissa

Cococure76
04-05-2006, 03:07 PM
I went through drama ordering this cd. First I tried b&n, even though I don&#39;t like them, but I had a gift certificate. They were taking too long because they didn&#39;t have them in stock. Then I saw on Amazon that they had got some more in stock, and went down about $7.00 in price. So I cancelled the bn order. Hopefully, I get my order sometime this week.

notroz2u
04-07-2006, 07:23 AM
Lol didn&#39;t I just make a post about her
I just saw the video last night
I think I am going to buy the cd

nappydee78
04-07-2006, 08:40 AM
At first I wasn&#39;t feeling her, but towards the end of the song (Like a Star) I was slowly starting to feel her. She has a voice that&#39;s similiar to Amel Larrieux to me. I need to hear another song by her before I feel like buying her CD.

Correction: She has a voice that&#39;s similiar to Joss Stone!

MsMila
04-07-2006, 08:57 AM
I kinda like her voice. I have to listen to her a bit more before buying the CD.
Heres her website..

Corrine (http://www.corinnebaileyrae.net/)

nappydee78
04-07-2006, 09:04 AM
I kinda like her voice. I have to listen to her a bit more before buying the CD.
Heres her website..

Corrine (http://www.corinnebaileyrae.net/)
[/b]

thanks for passing the site along. I listened to the other songs and i&#39;m still not sure... I noticed she doesn&#39;t tour the States until July.

Cococure76
04-10-2006, 11:55 AM
I ended up liking the cd. The first time I heard it, I didn&#39;t pay much attention because I was at work. Lots of distraction. So, I decided to put it in the car. It put me in an upbeat mood. Out of 11 tracks, here&#39;s what I liked" Of course I like "Like A Star."

Enchantment- (2nd track) A song about mesmerizing love. Like how a man can put you under a spell and you don&#39;t snap out of it until your alone. You&#39;re like, "what was that?"

Put Your Records On- (3rd track)- when I heard it on the little music clip I was iffy about it, but being able to hear the whole song was better. It&#39;s an uplifting song. Like your girl trying to make you happy.

Till It Happens to You- About love that was, but now she&#39;s getting over it. It like thinking about the past and missing it, but being able to get past it. It doesn&#39;t hurt anymore. This song reminds me of an Erykah Badu song. I can&#39;t think of it right now, but I believe it&#39;s on the second cd.

I&#39;m about to be a bad reviewer. Because I&#39;m already tired. But I really do like this cd. The artists that I am reminded of are, and it&#39;s not to say she sounds like them, but there may be a beat or topic, or just something. But listening to her I think of Sade, Erykah, Jill Scott, Nelly Furtado, Lenny Kravitz. The songs seem like poetry that was written and sung to a beat. Words don&#39;t necessarily rhyme. Like, this is what I am feeling.

And I think I connect because a lot of the lyrics are about wanting love. Someone special. Or the thought of that special someone. But there are songs about friends and the memory of growing up.

Oh, and she has words to the songs. Always a plus.

Zanzibardotcom
04-10-2006, 01:05 PM
I just love her cd. I missed her at SXSW.

cristalena
04-16-2006, 04:27 PM
[/b]

She&#39;s British, so we can let it slide. Very pretty girl though.

Ketchup
04-18-2006, 03:17 AM
She&#39;s British, so we can let it slide. Very pretty girl though.
[/b]

:huh:

MissCandy2U
05-02-2006, 08:30 AM
I have heard 2 of her songs and i loved them..I am going to get her cd when it comes out here, i think they said in the summer...im mad cause it already out in europe...

creativity
05-05-2006, 03:32 PM
If you have a Tower records in your state the CD is there. Price about $24 because its an import.

caj48223
05-05-2006, 06:01 PM
The CD is off the hook!! I listen to it practically everyday, espeically Seasons Change and Til It Happens To You. She is talking about my life right now in those two songs!!! The whole album is real mellow, something to listen to after you&#39;ve had a long day at work and light some scented candles and incense...I&#39;ll probably listen to it when I get off tonight...

RighteousFire
05-10-2006, 04:44 PM
I just discovered her and I love her voice :)

afromation
05-10-2006, 06:19 PM
I keep seeing her video on VH1 Soul.

Love her voice. :)

[/b]

I neve rnoticed her teeth, what&#39;s wrong with them?

divineyeam
05-15-2006, 09:34 PM
I absolutely love her music! She brings a depth to it-like a lightheartedness that makes u feel all good inside. :D

sonshinescoils
05-23-2006, 11:43 PM
i really like the feel of this cd. light and airy, but some nice soul in there. her voice is cool and the groove is nice. good recommendation :)

locd4life
05-26-2006, 09:00 AM
i really like the feel of this cd. light and airy, but some nice soul in there. her voice is cool and the groove is nice. good recommendation :)
[/b]

THANKS! :blush:

NLight1
05-29-2006, 10:30 PM
I only see her video on Vh1 Soul. She is pretty, nothing really outstanding about her to me. Her voice is kinda annoying. But she&#39;s pretty :P

roxygirl
06-01-2006, 11:32 PM
put your records on (acoustic version) is the free download on itunes this week.

i like it. :)

kinkykhick
06-09-2006, 10:43 AM
Ok, there playing an ad about this Corrine one of those "VH1 You Oughta Know" slots on the regular VH1, I don&#39;t get VH1 soul anymore. This is my first time hear/seeing her because I didn&#39;t step into this thread.
Even though they only play a tiny clip of her music, I like what I hear. I&#39;m very interested in getting the CD (as opposed to downloading it) brand new and everythng. haven&#39;t said that in a very long time ^_^

kinkykhick
06-09-2006, 12:09 PM
At first I wasn&#39;t feeling her, but towards the end of the song (Like a Star) I was slowly starting to feel her. She has a voice that&#39;s similiar to Amel Larrieux to me. I need to hear another song by her before I feel like buying her CD.

Correction: She has a voice that&#39;s similiar to Joss Stone!
[/b]

After listening to her a little more, I&#39;m hearing Tricky collaborator Martina Topley Bird vocal similarities mixed with Norah Jones style Jazz.

Truessence
06-09-2006, 03:13 PM
Put Your Records On is a beautiful song and the video is beautiful also.

naturali-t
06-09-2006, 03:58 PM
I like her,just have to get past the baby voice a minute

Nubie
06-10-2006, 01:13 AM
I heard her song "Put Your Records On" on a jazz radio station here the other week and I was feelin&#39; her vibe. I heard a couple of her other songs on her myspace page (www.myspace.com/corinnebaileyrae) and I like those, too. Her voice may get a tad annoying with prolonged exposure (lol :P ) but I think I&#39;m willing to tolerate it cuz it&#39;s somethin&#39; new and somethin&#39; a little different. Looks like once her cd comes out here (June 20th) it&#39;ll be 9.98 on Amazon, so I&#39;ll wait till then to get it. :)

Nubie
06-20-2006, 11:08 PM
...and I just saw on bestbuy.com that it&#39;s $7.99 there. I got mine in the mail from Amazon 2day and I absolutely love every track, not getting annoyed by the &#39;uniqueness&#39; of her voice at all. Check it out! :D

Yonique
06-20-2006, 11:44 PM
Target has her CD on sale this week for $7.98, the one near me was out but I&#39;m getting this week definetly, I cannot wait to check it out.

anthropology
06-22-2006, 02:03 AM
hehe.... was gonna start a topic myself :D :P ... she&#39;s lovely....We like her alot over here in the UK too...one of my fav songs which isn&#39;t on her album is &#39;Young n Foolish&#39;..try copying that song.. It&#39;ll give u an idea of how so worth it.. buying her album would be.. :D
[/b]
i&#39;ve worn out that song!!!! it&#39;s so fab!

kinkykhick
06-22-2006, 04:38 AM
I picked up the cd today at Target I&#39;m and unable to download it to Itunes useing Windows anyone else have this issue? :huh: :angry:

I&#39;m probably going to have to fight with Target to get them to take this CD back.
If I buy a hard copy of a CD I expect to be able to make copies for personal use -DAMN! :Angry_boese008:

emerald06
06-22-2006, 01:29 PM
I&#39;m LOVING it! :D She fits right in with my Amel and Goapele! So many good tracks. My favorite right now is #6 Call Me When You Get This.

kinkykhick
06-22-2006, 06:42 PM
Ok, After much manuvering the CD&#39;s on my Ipod
Crisis Averted : :P

locd4life
06-23-2006, 07:18 AM
i finally copped my cd from best buy...7.99. and i must admit, i&#39;m glad i started this thread! its a great find! i&#39;ll add it to my collection next to amel, goapele and jazzyphatnastee. :lol:

gigglezk
08-13-2006, 12:56 PM
is it just me or is her voice like a fresh breath of air?

star13
08-13-2006, 05:37 PM
I love her voice too I can&#39;t stop listening to her album. :wub: Hey how come barely anyone responded when I put this topic up :angry: .

jaimuziq
08-13-2006, 11:38 PM
I&#39;m glad I have the cd because the radio stations in my area haven&#39;t and probably won&#39;t play it.

notroz2u
08-14-2006, 07:01 AM
I can;t stop listening to "Til it happens to you" and "Breathless"

Breathless has such a fun feel to it, the horn section puts me in mind of Hugh Masakela. Anybody else think so? I tried reading the tiny tiny album notes lol and didn&#39;t see his name mentioned. (is he still alive?)

I was wondering if anyone knows how old she is? I heard she was 16 and the video for "Put you records on" does look juvenile

But she thanks her husband in the liner notes

Information please

notroz2u
08-14-2006, 09:20 AM
Sorry folks I meant "Trouble Sleeping" horns sound a lot like Hugh Maskela
where is the edit button on my post up above lol

Lady-N-Black
08-14-2006, 11:08 AM
I only see her video on Vh1 Soul. She is pretty, nothing really outstanding about her to me. Her voice is kinda annoying. But she&#39;s pretty :P
[/b]

Pretty much, sorry if this is annoying but her singing voice sounds a little "too" british.

femmefatales
08-14-2006, 01:15 PM
is it just me or is her voice like a fresh breath of air?
[/b]

No it&#39;s not just you. She not anything that&#39;s out right now which is great!
Going to see her on the 24th at Webster Hall. I&#39;ll try to get some short vids.

nappysurgeon
08-14-2006, 02:18 PM
I picked up the cd today at Target I&#39;m and unable to download it to Itunes useing Windows anyone else have this issue? :huh: :angry:

I&#39;m probably going to have to fight with Target to get them to take this CD back.
If I buy a hard copy of a CD I expect to be able to make copies for personal use -DAMN! :Angry_boese008:
[/b]

I was able to download it to iTunes easily on both my home & work Mac. But my work PC it would only open with Windows Media although I have iTunes on the PC. I kept trying but I couldn&#39;t get it onto iTunes on the PC. I think it may be the formatting of the CD. :unsure:

sunshine21
08-15-2006, 11:07 AM
I went out and bought the cd during lunch after reading this thread...and going to her website. I am on track 3 right now and I like so far. I am watching out for that Jannelle Monae too :P . If yall ask me, when I went in target and best buy I saw people buying the cd so I think she will be a big hit. I think she should give the ladies on NP some credit cuz so many of us bought the cd because of this thread :rolleyes: .

sunshine21
08-16-2006, 07:11 AM
Well, I bought the cd listened to it all day. And I must say WOW! mY FAV&#39;S are

1."Like A Star"
3."Put You Record On"
5."Trouble Sleeping"
6."Call Me When You Get This"
8."Breathless"
9."I&#39;d Like To"
10."Butterfly"

Thats just about the whole cd :) . The other tracks are good too, its just these do something to me. I think she has a touch of Erykah, Cee-Lo, Maxwell, and Sade throughout the whole cd. Cee-Lo and Erykah and Sade seem to be in her voice on various tracks and Maxwell is definitly in every pause and the lyrics of these songs shoot he is even in the compostion of the beats. I wonder who her personal inspirations were.

"Who Could Love You The Way I Do?" I love that line....Anyway its a good record.

Vizion
08-17-2006, 02:20 AM
my fav is enchantment

Beautifully Human
08-17-2006, 10:05 AM
Pretty much, sorry if this is annoying but her singing voice sounds a little "too" british.
[/b]

This is actually one of the reasons I like her voice. The accent add&#39;s a little something to her songs. Different :wub:

gigglezk
08-17-2006, 10:12 AM
[/b]

:huh:

well....what do you expect? she is british

Epiphany_Castro
08-17-2006, 10:25 AM
Love her,and breathless is my fave...I play it over and over in the car-blasting and opening the Moon roof. Her music is happy and makes me smile. Not too many artists can do that consistently!!!

70ssoulchild
08-17-2006, 04:26 PM
Love her, Her music is happy and makes me smile. Not too many artists can do that consistently!!!
[/b]
ITA and my favorite is "I&#39;d like too".

rina_0324
08-20-2006, 01:51 PM
I REALLY want her CD. She is a breath of fresh air right now, very genuine and classy. I&#39;ve noticed her music crosses over into more than one category. Like, here the alternative station mainly plays her music (well "Put Your Records On"), but I could also imagine hearing her on the R&B/ soul or smooth jazz stations, so that will work out for her.

Puffalishous
08-20-2006, 04:16 PM
I just downloaded this from Itunes Friday and I am so glad I did. I agree with the OP who said that she is like a breath of fresh air! I l luv her CD. I feel so encouraged and beautiful after listening to it.

femmefatales
08-25-2006, 10:46 PM
8/23 @ Webster Hall She was awesome!
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a3/femmefatales/100_4250.jpg

Not sure if this video clip will work, but here it goes..
<embed width="430" height="355" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://s8.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid8.photobucket.com/albums/a3/femmefatales/100_4243.flv"></embed>

femmefatales
08-26-2006, 01:34 PM
She is extremely overrated.

<_<

Norah Jones, Joss Stone, Erykah Badu, Amel Larrieux, it&#39;s all been done before.

*yawn*
[/b]

The funny thing is the people you listed are all great artist so I guess she&#39;s in good company.
Myself, I&#39;d put her in the Sade category.

locd4life
08-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Oh I agree, they are great artists...well...Joss Stone is debatable to me.

<_<

But that&#39;s why it doesn&#39;t need to be repeated. Her whole gimmick is so TIRED. There aint nothing new or fresh about Corrine Bailey Rae.
[/b]

There is nothin&#39; "NEW" under the sun. I think the point is, there&#39;s not enough erykahs and amels out there. So when someone comes out in that arena, its refreshing. Especially when you have tons of cherishs, cassies, letoyas, beyonces, ciaras so forth and so on.... :unsure:

i don&#39;t think corrine is for everyone...but its definitely something you don&#39;t find in heavy rotation every time the radio decides what hot.

bless.

femmefatales
08-27-2006, 02:18 PM
Oh I agree, they are great artists...well...Joss Stone is debatable to me.

<_<

But that&#39;s why it doesn&#39;t need to be repeated. Her whole gimmick is so TIRED. There aint nothing new or fresh about Corrine Bailey Rae.
[/b]

I&#39;m not sure how having a good voice, thoughtful lyrics and playing an instrument is considered a gimmick.

Now if she was a juggler then maybe...lol

nah 4 real tho- 2 each his own.

locd4life
08-27-2006, 06:08 PM
I&#39;m not sure how having a good voice, thoughtful lyrics and playing an instrument is considered a gimmick.

Now if she was a juggler then maybe...lol

nah 4 real tho- 2 each his own.
[/b]

ITA :clap: :clap: :clap:

Beautifully Human
08-28-2006, 10:14 AM
I actually saw her perform last night in Toronto. Honestly she&#39;s just amazing! She sounds even better in person which is rare and her band was great! Her voice is so clear and her tone is wow I dunno can&#39;t explain it but I was thoroughly impressed. Someone compared her to Amel and Erykah? I agree she&#39;s along those same lines but having seen Erykah perform live as well I think Corinne Bailey definitely has a uniqueness to her voice. She also plays the guitar and is really good at it. If she&#39;s ever in your neck of the woods I encourage you all to try and get out to see her. You won&#39;t be sorry! Oh yeah and she has this really shy demeanor about her its so humbling to watch her. :wub:

bbrown
09-21-2006, 03:56 PM
I am so in love with her CD, I can&#39;t stop playing it. I love her voice and the music is sooo soothing.

aquababie19
09-21-2006, 04:54 PM
i like this cd.

DaniJ
09-21-2006, 06:36 PM
I got her CD for my b-day back in July and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!