PDA

View Full Version : Honey/(Olive, Coconut, Almond, etc) oil mix - Q&A

acjazz28
01-22-2003, 10:16 PM
Is it possible to use the honey/oo mix too often?

I use it twice a week with vitamin E capsules mixed in. I've had some breakage, so I got another chop and I recently started using the no poo method too. I am loving the way this stuff makes my hair feel. I am noticing some new growth sprouting too - dunno if this stuff is the reason, but I haven't seen this type of progress before (without any extensions).

Any help is much appreciated.

Gracias.

I believe that our hair needs all of the moisture and conditioning it can get...so I think that twice a week shouldn't hurt. When you water your garden, it should grow! So I'm sure that keeping your hair moisturized and conditioned will help promote growth as well...:-) When I was transitioning, I did the h/oo treatment once a week. It made my hair feel so soft and wonderful! When I do it now (all natural), it makes my hair so cottony soft to the touch...I'm also using 100% unrefined coconut oil, which has the added benefit of vitamin E...and I'm sure that's good for our hair too. :-) I've also seen a growth spurt recently, and I'll have to post pics of that real soon...but I hope this answers your question...:-)

honeychild
01-22-2003, 11:22 PM
i use it once a week with no adverse effects. my hair LOVES this treatment. listen to your hair. if you haven't had any breakage since switching to no poo, perhaps the shampoo was the culprit, not the honey/oo.

??

strawwberryz
01-23-2003, 01:40 AM
I use the Coconut and Olive oil mix and love it too. Will try adding the vit. E...thought it was just for skin? Who knew!

BrownSista
01-23-2003, 03:38 PM
Hey ladies,
I tried the honey/olive oil pretreatment this past weekend and the results were not good. I applied the mix to dry hair and left on for 45 minutes, I washed and conditioned since my hair was still brittle to the touch. I'm not sure if this was due to me having a permanent dye. But I don't think I'll be using the honey again, it was sticky and just a big ol' mess!!! :mad:

BrownSista

CrazeeDCoil
01-23-2003, 06:46 PM
I just did this treatment on Tuesday and I have to say the results while not amazing, were definately good. Next time that I do this I will use a clarifier first to remove mineral deposits on my hair. I just rinsed the mixture out, I didn't follow up with conditioner or shampoo or anything. My hair is still shiny from it, and myhusband thought it was softer than usual.

**as a plus, my husband is not allergic to this treatment. He was having asthma attacks from some of the other manufactured conditioners that i was using.**

CrazeeDCoil
01-23-2003, 10:52 PM
I just tried a cocnut oil, honey, olive oil, banana treatment and I think it worked great. The only problem is i'm having trouble getting all of the banana out of my hair. So I'm washint it w/ suave coconut conditioner. I hope it doesn't ruin the benefits. My coils looked the best ever excpt for bits of banana
:?

sugarNfeist
01-24-2003, 05:21 AM
[quote]
Hey ladies,
I tried the honey/olive oil pretreatment this past weekend and the results were not good. I applied the mix to dry hair and left on for 45 minutes, I washed and conditioned since my hair was still brittle to the touch. I'm not sure if this was due to me having a permanent dye. But I don't think I'll be using the honey again, it was sticky and just a big ol' mess!!! :mad:

BrownSista

I think it works best on wet hair. Honey is a natural humectant and you get the best results with humectants when their is moisture from it to draw from. Thing with humectants is if there isn't a readily available source of moisture it will draw the moisture from your hair, which will give you the adverse of what you want. I used to use this mask alll the time but maybe I over used it cause it doesnt work for me anymore. :?

NappGirlCurl
01-24-2003, 03:42 PM
I just tried a cocnut oil, honey, olive oil, banana treatment and I think it worked great. The only problem is i'm having trouble getting all of the banana out of my hair. So I'm washint it w/ suave coconut conditioner. I hope it doesn't ruin the benefits. My coils looked the best ever excpt for bits of banana
:?

Hey CrazeeDCoil!

How did you mix in the banana?

CrazeeDCoil
01-24-2003, 04:12 PM
Hey CrazeeDCoil!

How did you mix in the banana?

I sliced half of a banana in thin slices and smashed it with the back of a spoon and stirred in my oil/honey mixture. But i didn't smash it enough. I'm thinking of using a blender or a stick blender next time. The added benefit was that it was warm so it went on like a hot oil treatment. I sat with one of those gold self-heating caps (looks like a shower cap) on for about 45 mins and I could see the difference as soon as I took the cap off. Oh and I lightly sprayed my hair w/ water before applying so my hair was slightly damp.

honeychild
01-28-2003, 12:48 AM
ooh, what a great idea to add banana. avocado also might be another good addition. i'll try it with a stick blender & report back probably wednesday or thursday. big ole conditioning smoothie for the head!

i'm also totally coveting a self-heating conditioning cap, to leave me free of wringing out hot towels all the time.

CrazeeDCoil
01-28-2003, 11:32 AM
There is definately (sp?) one caveat about the banana. It MUST be liquefied as much as possible or else you'll be picking banana out of your hair for days! ( I was still finding small peices yesterday :shock: :roll: )

BrownSista
01-28-2003, 10:30 PM
I think it works best on wet hair. Honey is a natural humectant and you get the best results with humectants when their is moisture from it to draw from. Thing with humectants is if there isn't a readily available source of moisture it will draw the moisture from your hair, which will give you the adverse of what you want. I used to use this mask alll the time but maybe I over used it cause it doesnt work for me anymore. :?

Thanks sugarNfeist :lol: ....I will try it again on wet hair.....BrownSista

GalaxyGirl2010
01-29-2003, 09:54 PM
i'm also totally coveting a self-heating conditioning cap, to leave me free of wringing out hot towels all the time.

honey gold n hot as a self heating conditioning cap that ive had my eye on foe awhile
i i really havent seen any others at the hair stores i go to.

CrazeeDCoil
01-30-2003, 11:20 AM

honey gold n hot as a self heating conditioning cap that ive had my eye on foe awhile
i i really havent seen any others at the hair stores i go to.

That's the one I'm speaking of. It works well if you put it on while doing house work or wrap a towel around it to keep all of the heat in.

sugarNfeist
01-30-2003, 09:39 PM
[quote]

Thanks sugarNfeist :lol: ....I will try it again on wet hair.....BrownSista

You're welcome. I may give it another try again soon too. I been kinda lazy, but i notice that this mask makes my hair curls clump really well when i do it before i shampoo, it will be a great precursor to my shake and go. When i get enough hair to do a shake and go that is, 8).

Brit
01-31-2003, 09:23 PM
ooh, what a great idea to add banana. avocado also might be another good addition. i'll try it with a stick blender & report back probably wednesday or thursday. big ole conditioning smoothie for the head!

bingo! avocado is great to use like a banana and it doesn't leave chunks of anything in your hair (eww that sounds a little disgusting)

tann
02-03-2003, 12:41 PM
I did the h/oo treatment on dry hair also, it didn't work :? I didn't even get shine, but I will try it again on wet hair

Pumpkin43
02-04-2003, 07:12 PM

bingo! avocado is great to use like a banana and it doesn't leave chunks of anything in your hair (eww that sounds a little disgusting)

Excuse my ignorance but what is EWW?

vuqua1
02-05-2003, 07:53 PM
@ CrazeeD, I've seen coconut milk but not the oil. Where did you purchase yours?

I have Lottabody setting lotion diluted w/ water; shea butter w/jojoba hot oil treatment mixed and honey/olive oil mix. I really want to try the coconut oil. I think I would love the scent.

The shea butter w/jojoba mixed together seemed thick like a conditioner. I used it as a hot oil treatment but perhaps when I start my no poo routine, I can make it one of my conditioners.

Thanks for the recs ladies!

NaturalSerenity
02-08-2003, 03:08 AM
Okay I have been a firmly committed no oil sistah since July 2002, but the winter over here in germany has been harsh and my hair felt and looked like a brillo pad, and I was desperate for something to help my dried out hair.

Of course, I came to the wisdom of nappturality for answers. I was a little leery of the oil, but the h/oo treatment was 1. easy 2. contained ingredients that were easily available to me here 3. sounded like it worked well for a variety of people here with a variety of hair types.

Sistahs, well I have now tried it and I LOVE it...my hair hair a softness and a sheen I never knew it was capable of....and it was so manageable, I was able to make my first set of twists in my hair! How cool is that? I micro'ed the honey and oil and then added drops of lavender, geranium and roasemary and left the concoction on there for like an hour and half while my hubby, best friend and I watched Starship Troopers...then I took it out and whoa!

TYo make my twists, I used some of the olive oil and mixed in a few drops of lavender, geranium and ylang-ylang essential oils and used that to twist my hair...my hair smells, feels and looks wonderful!

thank you, thank you thank you sistahs -- I am hooked. During the winter I will do the treatment twice a week and during summer maybe only once.
Thanks again for all the great advice!

ChoqlitQT
02-09-2003, 05:07 AM
Can someone detail exactly how to get the honey to mix with the oils? I have done this treatment twice and it was messy to use and left my hair very dry. Here's what I did:
I used the honey/oo as a pretreatment. I warmed it up in a bowl in the microwave, but no matter how hot it got, I couldn't get it to mix. The honey sits on the bottom of the bowl and the oil sits on top. So instead of honey/oo on my hair, I have some honey and some oo. And my hair was wet....

I want to try it one more time, and then I'll just let it go....

Thanks in advance

krazeenapps
02-09-2003, 07:48 AM
Can someone detail exactly how to get the honey to mix with the oils? I have done this treatment twice and it was messy to use and left my hair very dry. Here's what I did:
I used the honey/oo as a pretreatment. I warmed it up in a bowl in the microwave, but no matter how hot it got, I couldn't get it to mix. The honey sits on the bottom of the bowl and the oil sits on top. So instead of honey/oo on my hair, I have some honey and some oo. And my hair was wet....

Mine doesn't mix either, but that doesn't stop me. I don't heat my "mix," I just get a spoon, mix really fast, grab some up in the spoon and hope that there's both honey and oil in the spoon. :lol: Or I'll dip my hand in and scoop some out. If you pour the whole thing on your head, then you've gotta have both honey and oil and your head, and then you can mix in then. I'm sure there's a better way, but my patience in these types of things doesn't do very well. Does anyone go as far as to use an emulsifier to get the two to blend together?

newlynatural
02-09-2003, 08:58 PM
You could try adding a small amount of hot water to the honey, to thin it out, before adding the oil.

HTH :)

ChoqlitQT
02-09-2003, 10:06 PM
You could try adding a small amount of hot water to the honey, to thin it out, before adding the oil.

HTH :)

I'll try this, thanks!

CEE26
02-11-2003, 01:47 PM
i just made my own deep conditioner last night...it left my hair a little greasy..i used my steamed cap.(1hr)

100% shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil, wheat germ oil, avocado oil, grapeseed...

so, know my hair has a greasy feel to it...that's okay my hair needed something extra.........8)

Azure
02-16-2003, 08:51 PM
I finally tried the honey and olive oil yesterday. I put it in the microwave for about thirty seconds and when I took it out it was HOTTTTT! I had to put it in the freezer for a few minutes to keep it from burning my fingers and scalp. I bent over the tub and just poured it on my (wet) head and worked it in. Minimized the mess for me. I left it on an hour and a half and then rinsed it out, shampooed and conditioned. Afterwards I saturated my hair with my glycerin/water/conditioner mix and detangled. It took me a while because I haven't combed in a week and I don't want to go through that again! :wink: From now on I'll comb out more often! Well, after all that, I did notice that my hair was a little softer and showed a little more sheen, so it was worth it. My hair wasn't crispy at all, even after using mousse.

I just gave all the details because I hope someone can learn from my mistakes!

Na
02-17-2003, 02:00 AM
I only put my honey/olive oil in the micro for 15 seconds. (Longer than that makes it too hot) Stir with a spoon and apply to my hair. While it's kinda mess,y it works so no complaints here.

CrazeeDCoil
02-20-2003, 12:10 AM
@ CrazeeD, I've seen coconut milk but not the oil. Where did you purchase yours?

I bought mine at a Health food store. It came in a jar like mayonaise.
Also, I mix the honey & oil together as best I can first, then zap it in the micro for a few and stir again when I take it out.

CrazeeDCoil
02-20-2003, 11:00 PM
Just tried it with the avocado

-I premixed the avocado,honey, coconut oil
-heated in micro for 18 seconds
-mixed all ingredients w/a stick blender in a container sitting in an ice water bath until a loose "conditioner" consistency
-applied to hair and wrapped a hot towel around self heating cap for 45 mins and rinsed.

Actually I'm going to rinse now... i'll edit this post to report how it turned out!

Ok... I'm back and I think it turned out well. But I didn't let it dry my usual way I tried to blow it out, and that turned out badly so I went back and rinsed it out w/ conditioner. Then applied sta-sof-fro and SSLD to it. But it was shiny and soft feeling before I got the idea to blow it out...

cocomomi
02-24-2003, 03:08 AM
Hi I am new to posting to the forum :-)... the wealth of information here has me coming back...

I have searched and searched for the actual honey and olive oil recipe but I can not find it. :? Can someone point me to the actual recipe ?

Thanks

REGEE
02-24-2003, 04:29 AM
Hi,
This thread is from the old board where it- Honey Hair Shine- was originally posted-http://nappturality.suddenlaunch2.com/index.cgi?board=homemade&action=display&num=1026086833
You have to read a few posts b4 the recipe is actually given :)
REGEE

acjazz28
03-03-2003, 08:36 AM
I tried to follow that link Regee...but it didn't work. :-(

...so I went back to the old board and found it...here it is for those of you who haven't tried this wonderful recipe!

http://nappturality.suddenlaunch2.com/inde...&num=1026086833 (http://nappturality.suddenlaunch2.com/index.cgi?board=homemade&action=display&num=1026086833)

REGEE
03-03-2003, 10:33 PM
I tried to follow that link Regee...but it didn't work. :-(

Oopppssss :o Sorry 'bout that!!!!

Thanks Acjazz-your always on top of things :wink:
REGEE

mrandmrsmer
03-16-2003, 02:21 PM
Well, I finally got all of my braid extensions out last night, and I am doing the honey/olive oil treatment RIGHT NOW, and I am about to rinse it out, then no-poo my hair using Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner. I am going to attempt to do a shake-n-go, and we'll see what happens.

BTW, I am going to document all this with pics, so I will have an album up relatively sooner or later.

God bless!

Mrs. Mer :)

mrandmrsmer
03-16-2003, 02:36 PM
Well, I finally got all of my braid extensions out last night, and I am doing the honey/olive oil treatment RIGHT NOW, and I am about to rinse it out, then no-poo my hair using Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner. I am going to attempt to do a shake-n-go, and we'll see what happens.

BTW, I am going to document all this with pics, so I will have an album up relatively sooner or later.

ETA: I LOVE THE HONEY/OLIVE OIL TREATMENT! My hair is soooo soft and the coils are springing up errywhere. I also noticed while rinsing the h/oo out, that my hair was very managable, and I was able to detangle my hair with my fingers. Wow. I love it. Now I'm off to no-poo with the Suave, shake n' go and go to church! Thank goodness we're having really warm weather today. Don't have to worry about going outside with a wet head. LOL

God bless!

Mrs. Mer :)

asj5870
03-16-2003, 02:46 PM
Hi...
after your hair drys can you post how if felt afterwards..?

cixchic
03-22-2003, 04:23 AM

Excuse my ignorance but what is EWW?

Eww is in "eww! yuck!"
lol, that's kinda funny, but there are so many acronymns (sp?) on this site that who would have known?

CrazeeDCoil
03-22-2003, 01:13 PM

It was a little disgusting... it was a lot, actually. But that can be completely avoided by blending your ingredients. So don't discount its use for fear of the icky factor. If properly blended it won't happen! :D

cixchic
03-22-2003, 11:38 PM
Ok I LUV this stuff!!! :pumpheart: My hair was sooo soft once I rinsed it out! I'm transistioning, so the relaxed ends got some TLC too!

Here is what I did:

I kinda eyeballed the measurements

3 scoops of shea butter
3 scoops of coconut oil
a good heaping of honey, (not too much, not too little)
a few small squirts of aloe vera gel 100% (Fruit of the earth)

and a big drop of Burt's Bees Vitamin E Body and Bath oil (It's got a ton of EO's in it-Sweet Almond oil, lemon oil, wheat germ oil, and rosemary extract, not to mention Vitamin E)

I melted the shea and coconut together in an old Let's Jam! Container
I had a nice cold water bath going for the jar. I added the honey, squrits of aloe vera and the other ingredients, stirring well. THen *Opps*! WHen I brought the jar over to the water, I got H2O in it!! I was soo upset, but I kept going. I kept stirring, letting it chill. I figured it couldn't be a total loss. I wanted a consistency similar to what acjazz28 had described. Well, I put it in the fridge, and low and be hold, when I went to put it on my hair, The water separtated out :!: . So it wasn't a lost cause after all...and the results are great!

I conditioner washed after (My First time) because of a lot of product use this week. I applied the mixture to wet hair as well.

Sorry to share so much, but I was estatic, and I 'll have to let you all know about this style I tried......