PDA

View Full Version : Illegal Immigration

satriela
04-07-2006, 01:37 PM
While congress is busy trying to please their corporate bosses and call it "immigration reform" I am wondering what could be done. The problem is huge, no doubt.

10 to 12 million people here illegally. Most consider it impractical to ship them home.

Someone said on the other thread I posted that it was hopeless and we should just legalize them and have better borders. That is certainly one of the political messages.

But we already did that (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_Reform_and_Control_Act_of_1986) in 1986 and went from 2.7 illegal immigrants to 11 million in 2006. I'd have to say that strategy doesn't work.

In my mind the most practical thing to do is:

1.) Heavily (I'm talking hundreds of thousands of dollars) fine employees who break current labor laws OR hire illegal immigrants. We've got to make it cheaper for them to follow the law instead of break it.

2.) Give people who can prove they were here for at least 5 years the dreaded amnesty (after applying like everyone else) but not without heavily heavily heavily fining them (like $10,000) and punishing them in some other way. (that doesn't involve jail or prison time). We have to make it so undesirable to have illegal status that they will come by the legal methods. If you've been here under 5 years, go home.

These are just ideas I've been kicking around in my head...

Do you guys have any ideas?

ljam4u
04-07-2006, 07:49 PM
No Amnesty!
Deportation!
Secured Borders!
Enforce current laws!

Do not reward CRIMINALS for their CRIMES!

CatSuga
04-09-2006, 02:33 AM
Let them stay and make Mexico pay!!! :angry:
A barrel of oil, per illegal, per day!