PDA

View Full Version : Is Every Natural Style Appropriate For Work?

fiesole
04-07-2006, 05:00 PM
The recent news about Rep. Cynthia McKinney sparked an interesting discussion with one of my friends. We are both life long nappy and happy, and very glad that more women are thinking of letting the p.erms go. But while we were watching the news of McKinneys apology, my girl said "I cant believe she is in the US congress with her hair like that. I'm all for keeping it natural, but you still have to COMB your hair". I said I certainly wouldn't wear my hair like that to work although I do do the wash and go look for weekends. She said "of course, me too, but that's way too casual and chill for the US congress, what is she thinking? She needs to put her braids back if she can't do any better than that. She knows she should have picked that hair out and shaped it up if she wanted to wear it free to work."

So, this sparked me to think. Do folks here feel that ANY natural style is a go for the workplace? Obviously there are different variables to consider depending on your profession, but for instance with the Rep, do people think that is too "chill" for the US Congress?

For those who may not have seen the different styles:

Her 'signature' two braids
http://www.globalresearch.ca/globaloutlook/cynthia.jpg

Her new syle
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/artic...GI4S3D1.DTL&o=0 (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2006/04/07/MNGNGI4S3D1.DTL&o=0)

Bunny
04-07-2006, 05:31 PM
I've been thinking about this in reference to McKinney's hair... first of all, the wash-n-go is not the issue to me. I wear a wash-n-go to work all the time and it looks just fine. It's all in how you style it -- wash-n-go doesn't have to mean that you don't do anything to your hair. For some reason, that perception seems to exist, even on this board.

Now, I'm not a fan of the style I see in the pics simply because it doesn't look like she did anything with it. No matter your hair texture -- shoot, no matter your race -- you do have to groom your hair, just like you have to wash your body and practice proper hygiene and all that. Her natural loose style isn't the problem -- the problem is that it's simply not groomed.

Having said all that... I wonder why I never hear this conversation relating to whether every relaxed style is appropriate for work. Not picking on you Fiesole... I'm just saying that I've never heard anyone discussing this issue using the words, "Are all relaxed styles professional or appropriate?"

I mean, it's assumed that wearing multicolored finger waves and freeze whips and extreme weaves isn't professional, but again, no one ever says or asks, "So, what straight-looking hairstyles are appropriate for black women?" I bring this up just to say that I wonder if we'd be having this discussion if McKinney came to Congress with some straight, but uneven, broken-off, non-curled under relaxed hair instead of some ungroomed natural hair.

sweetdrmr
04-07-2006, 06:57 PM
I don't think that every natural style is appropriate for work b/c some styles are too "chill" but on the other hand I definitely don't think that all relaxed styles are appropriate for work b/c they are a bit eccentric. It all depends on where you work, I am a teacher and nobody cares how big my afro is but I can see how it may be different in cooperate America. By the way I don't like any of her hairstyles. The second style was scary looking.

keni1221
04-07-2006, 07:00 PM
IMO I think see looks way more professional with her hair in the braids. I think it depends on you job what hairstyle is appropriate. If you are in the military a BAA is not appropriate but it may be for someone in the civilian workforce.

JCoily
04-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Honestly, her hair looks a hot mess in the 'new style' photo.

If you showed me that picture and I didn't know who she was, I would think the woman on the right was the 'grown up' congresswoman and McKinney was her assistant. And that's two women with natural hairstyles being compared, so there isn't an aspect of embracing european standards. It's one person looking the part and the other one not doing so.

tagg1214
04-07-2006, 08:32 PM
No, every hairstyle out there is not necessarily appropriate for every work place. This goes for every race, and gender. I am an attorney in NYC and I wear my hair in twist out with a head band, micro braids, or pulled back in a bun. On the weekend I wear my hair in fros, wash-n-gos, etc. If I worked at a record company or MTV or something I would wear my weekend hairstyles Mon-Fri also. I say all this to say that the hairstyle that one wears to work is based on the dress code of the work place. My white co-workers cannot come to work with hot pink hair or mohawks, nor can my relaxed sisters come with teased blond weave ponytails. I therefore do not think that it is a double standard that I cannot wear a Big fro to work. There are things one gives up when you need a paycheck...not wearing jeans and putting on a suit is no different than not wearing a wash-n-go and wearing more conservative hairstyles to work.

lizzes
04-07-2006, 11:56 PM
There are some styles that are inappropriate for work. I want bantu knots, but I can't wear my hair like that to work. I'm going to wait until I have some time off to do that to my hair. That's one of the things that makes me miss being a student. I could wear my hair however I felt to class, and I would not have anyone say it was unprofessional.

taritac
04-08-2006, 12:26 AM
Wow. A shake-and-go is unprofessional? Isn't saying that like, nappturality sacrilege? :huh: That means I've been unprofessional about 90% of the time I've been natural! I work in the planning/engineering/architecture field, and usually I only get compliments from people-- not to say that I don't have jacked up days, of course.

I actually like McKinney's new do. It's a twist-out or shake-and-go.

One thing that I've always held is that as nappturals, it is up to us to determine what is professional or not. I decided a long time ago that I would set the paradigm for my hair. It doesn't make sense for me to try to use white people's or relaxed hair styles as a template for my own.

Napia Mia
04-08-2006, 02:12 AM
No, every hairstyle out there is not necessarily appropriate for every work place. This goes for every race, and gender. I am an attorney in NYC and I wear my hair in twist out with a head band, micro braids, or pulled back in a bun. On the weekend I wear my hair in fros, wash-n-gos, etc. If I worked at a record company or MTV or something I would wear my weekend hairstyles Mon-Fri also. I say all this to say that the hairstyle that one wears to work is based on the dress code of the work place. My white co-workers cannot come to work with hot pink hair or mohawks, nor can my relaxed sisters come with teased blond weave ponytails. I therefore do not think that it is a double standard that I cannot wear a Big fro to work. There are things one gives up when you need a paycheck...not wearing jeans and putting on a suit is no different than not wearing a wash-n-go and wearing more conservative hairstyles to work.
[/b]

Hmm...As an attorney, you don't think a large, nicely shaped fro is professional enough for the work place? I wonder if you would have felt that way back in the 60s or 70s when fros were very prevalent. Is that just the limitation you've set on yourself, or does your employee handbook specifically put a limit on how big a fro can be? Or is that any fro no matter how big or small it is? And what dress code is going to stop relaxed sisters from having teased blond pony tails...I guess you're using this as an extreme example...

Sorry to fixate on just one part of your post, that just stuck out to me like the proverbial sore thumb so I had to ask. However, I do understand the larger point you are attempting to make.

Anyway, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who didn't have a good feeling about McKinney's do.

JCoily
04-08-2006, 02:19 PM
On another note, is this look appropriate in a corporate setting? Both women are both dressed within the confines of acceptable corporate wear, but does the hairstyle complete the look or distract from it?
http://show.magiconline.com/convdata/aug2003/images/0205_dnb_macy_gray.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/Princess_Ivy/random3.jpg

PacificSky
04-08-2006, 02:31 PM
I don't think either of those looks are appropriate in a corporate setting. Anything that is distracting is not appropriate for my workplace. That's my definition and I know what is distracting and what isn't. It not only goes for my hair- it's my shoes, accessories and clothing.

taritac
04-08-2006, 02:34 PM
I think both of them are fine. In the first one, the profile is a bit more 70's-- I'd maybe shape it differently, less on top, more on the sides and show her face more-- more like the profile of the second lady. The sunglasses is what most makes her look non-corporate, IMO. The second lady looks fine to me; maybe a little lopsided, but nothing a quick mirror check wouldn't correct.

What styles do y'all think are professional or corporate?

fiesole
04-08-2006, 06:52 PM
On another note, is this look appropriate in a corporate setting? Both women are both dressed within the confines of acceptable corporate wear, but does the hairstyle complete the look or distract from it?
http://show.magiconline.com/convdata/aug2003/images/0205_dnb_macy_gray.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/Princess_Ivy/random3.jpg
[/b]

I guess this speaks to the differences of acceptability in work settings. Neither of these women is dressed appropriately for the setting where I work. The pink scarf and lipstick on the first woman would be deemed to loud and she would need a blouse under that jacket and the second womans dress is an after five bearing cleaveage, lacking panty hose with an open toed shoe. I guess only we know what works in the settings where we work. I guess I looked at the House of Representatives and look at the other women when judging McKinney and feel her hair (and clothes to be honest) are not appropriate.

JCoily
04-08-2006, 10:30 PM
I guess this speaks to the differences of acceptability in work settings. Neither of these women is dressed appropriately for the setting where I work. The pink scarf and lipstick on the first woman would be deemed to loud and she would need a blouse under that jacket and the second womans dress is an after five bearing cleaveage, lacking panty hose with an open toed shoe. I guess only we know what works in the settings where we work. I guess I looked at the House of Representatives and look at the other women when judging McKinney and feel her hair (and clothes to be honest) are not appropriate.
[/b]

Oh I recognize that Macy Gray would need to put a blouse on under the pinstripe blazer and that Jody Watley is dressed in after 5 wear, but these are the only two pictures of women with afros in what could remotely pass as business attire that I could find.

tagg1214
04-15-2006, 02:02 PM
I just want to clear up some things from my previous post.

1) Wash and gos can be appropriate for where I work. In fact I used to wear that style all of the time when my hair was shorter. A wash and go is no longer appropriate for MY job becuase of the length and texture of my hair...it would look too casual.

2) Fros can also be appropriate for MY job, however it would have to be a shorter fro and tappered. I do not believe that a big fro (as in Angela Davis) would be apropriate for MY job....and that's the job I have in 2006 and not in the 1960 or 1970.

3) The same person who is going to tell you not to wear an ill fitted suit to work/court (becuase I was making reference to the fact that I am an attorney in NYC) is going to tell the relaxed sister not to come to work/go to court with her blond teased weave. If she doesn't like it, I'm sure that same person at MY job is going to give her info on how to collect unemployment.

The point I was trying to make in my previous post is that one's hair style is supposed to match the dress code of the job and the office culture. I work in a conservative office, in a conservative profession, therefore I cannot wear my hair in any style (and that goes for everyone in my office). When I go to work I wear my hair in a curly twist out for the most part, with a conservative suit, and pearl earrings. On the weekends the air blows through my picked out fro, and my pearls are replaced with big hoop earrings. I wish I could dress like that all of the time, however I depend on a paycheck and the person/firm that pays me has established a dress code/office culture that I agreed to be a part of in order to get that pay check. Every office and work place is different. I advise all to adhere to the dress code of their work place, and before you cry foul when confronted on the way you chose to style your natural hair, ask your self, am I conforming (b/c that's what it is) to the dress code/office culture. If you are and the person still has a problem with your hair...then they are just ignorant and that's a whole other problem in of itself. Natural hair can be styled in many ways...natural hair is not in of itself "unprofessional"..it's the way some chose to style the hair that can be seen as unprofessional. If your hair is styled appropriately in a natural style then there should never be a problem...unless as i stated before the person is just ignorant.

PittGirl06
05-03-2006, 01:44 PM
I seen the photo of the congresswoman and it looks like she just got out of bed...definitely not acceptable at all. And the big fro look is no acceptable either because its just too big. These women should consider braidouts or something or possibly updos. I will probably be in braids or natural twists once I start working....with updos and various other styles, but I defiitely wouldn't do fros because my hair has grown so much that it just wouldnt be becoming in a corporate setting.

liveletlive
05-11-2006, 08:39 PM
I've seen both photos and they both look fine to me. The first looks a little more conservative, but I think they're both appropriate. I really don't see what the big deal is. It's bad enough natural hair is discriminated against in the work setting, must we with natural hair do the same thing to each other? Do you think that every white congresswoman has put together hair every day? I often see congresswomen with frizzy, dry, over heated or bleached hair, and this is white women. I also see black women with permed hair that 'needs' a touch-up and also looks frizzy, dry and overheated. Does Condoleeza Rice's hair always look perfect? I don't think so. I think there's always some way to criticize someone on their physical appearance, but I think one standard about being black is that you have to do everything perfect all the time, or you will be slammed, no room for mistakes or individuality. Can't she experiment with her natural hair, and do it the way she wants to do it?

Maybe if all the other congresswomen only wore braided or otherwise taut-kept hairstyles, I would say that looks unprofessional. But who knows why her hair turned out like that on that particular day, either way I think that everyone should be the judge of their own preferences. Maybe she decided braids felt childish and unprofessional, and thought that wearing her hair out made her look more mature. I know that wearing your hair out, down, or free was a special thing as a child, and made us feel more grown up. So I think everyone has different standards of beauty and professionalism, it would help if we applied it only to ourselves and those we are in charge of, and stop judging others so harshly.

It's just a hairstyle, who really gives a *bleep*! :lol:

wysdom1
05-12-2006, 11:40 AM
ITA with liveletlive.. both pictures look fine to me. Her shake and go looks a little wind blown in the pic but on the regular she keeps it decent.

It may be a matter of work place etiquette if LARGE HAIR is a problem but I am of the mind that my hair do and personal style are just those things. I do not have pookieismybabydaddy shaved in my BAA.. so I will wear it to work in the very conservative setting I work in. What's inappropriate about it? Besides presett notions of what is "acceptable" that my natural hair doesnt fit anyway. Many people stare, ask questions, etc.. but I say, if you can perform your job, have pride in your appearance, and know that your hair is in many ways a reflection of your other personal goals and beliefs.. then rock that nappy fro big and wild...lol..

Mae
05-14-2006, 07:55 AM
I think this society in general has issues with hair that is big, curly, or looks uncontrolled. If you read books like "curly girl" you hear about the discrimination white women with curly hair get in the workplace as well...there is something about loose curly or kinky hair that is almost sexual and folks are not comfortable with it, so they want to subdue it...the Congresswoman's hair did not even look that big to me, but if you have seen my wash n go's you understand why....I never worked in corporate America, partly because my nature and my natural self would not fit in to an environment where I would have to mute myself to be accepted...that being said, people should wear what is comfortable to them, there are situations where I don't want the focus to be my hair, so I wear it back, but there are times when I just don't care, so I wear it out....

thunderstorm
05-16-2006, 12:11 PM
no, not every natural style is appropriate for work, particularly uber conservative work settings.

namely, the childish 4-8 plaits. from your feet to your neck, your attire may be on point, but no matter how well cleansed, conditioned, and uniform your plaits and parts, that style will look like a bedtime style.

shake and goes for people with multiple textures "that fight each other" on their heads. once the water completely dries and you are left with straggely spirals poking through dense carpet or coils, with overall uneveness, it won't look put together no matter how dressy your scarf or headband.

scalpy 2-strands or coils. when you can see your scalp, these styles (especially on the first couple of days) look like childish or bedtime styles.

TRUE freeform locs (especially in the beginning stages) where you have 2 inches of afro with a hint of 2-strands, coils, or braids extending from it. even in a casual setting, this is a phase of loc development that frustrates most of its wearers, as the hair looks unkempt, no matter how freshly cleansed and conditioned it is.

frizz and halos on puffs. it might go against your personal convictions, but sometimes you have to take a brush and smooth the natural shorter or shrunken hairs down to a more polished look.

also, because everyone's texture varies, some people can pull off some of these styles in a corporate setting, while others can't. for example, scalpy 2-strands seldom look corporate, but full, dense 2-strands that hang evenly might give someone a pass.

MissThing606
06-02-2006, 04:42 AM
no, not every natural style is appropriate for work, particularly uber conservative work settings.

namely, the childish 4-8 plaits. from your feet to your neck, your attire may be on point, but no matter how well cleansed, conditioned, and uniform your plaits and parts, that style will look like a bedtime style.

shake and goes for people with multiple textures "that fight each other" on their heads. once the water completely dries and you are left with straggely spirals poking through dense carpet or coils, with overall uneveness, it won't look put together no matter how dressy your scarf or headband.

scalpy 2-strands or coils. when you can see your scalp, these styles (especially on the first couple of days) look like childish or bedtime styles.

TRUE freeform locs (especially in the beginning stages) where you have 2 inches of afro with a hint of 2-strands, coils, or braids extending from it. even in a casual setting, this is a phase of loc development that frustrates most of its wearers, as the hair looks unkempt, no matter how freshly cleansed and conditioned it is.

frizz and halos on puffs. it might go against your personal convictions, but sometimes you have to take a brush and smooth the natural shorter or shrunken hairs down to a more polished look.

also, because everyone's texture varies, some people can pull off some of these styles in a corporate setting, while others can't. for example, scalpy 2-strands seldom look corporate, but full, dense 2-strands that hang evenly might give someone a pass.
[/b]

so basically, if you have fine hair with different textures, you're screwed :huh:

hello kitty
06-02-2006, 08:27 AM
so basically, if you have fine hair with different textures, you're screwed :huh:
[/b]

i guess i'm screwed!
http://i2.tinypic.com/qxvqja.gif

Clarissa359
06-20-2006, 06:26 AM
I don't think every hair style is appropriate for work just like every outfit isn't appropriate for work.

asmabahiya
07-12-2006, 06:29 AM
[/b]

I agree with you. However, I work for the state and the commissioner's secretary has bright red, LIKE THE CRAYON, hair. It varies in the colors from red to orange, no one says anything.. Let me come in the office with an afro or frohawk.. There would be all kinds of discussions..

ethnic_beauty
07-14-2006, 02:14 PM
I've seen both pictures and honestly I think that they are both fine. I prefer her with her signature braids, it gives her a more "tame" look, and for me, it makes me take her more seriously. But I see nothing wrong with her new style. Personally, I feel some natural styles are not appropriate for work, but it depends on the work environment. For example, where I live, twists in a bank is a big no no. And I don't have a problem with that.