PDA

View Full Version : Straightened my hair, now what?

Blackanese
01-02-2004, 07:14 PM
I got bored last night and straightened my hair with a curling iron. It was my intention to curl it up somehow and wear it loose, but the ends looked all dry and frizzy so I just slapped it into two little pigtail buns.

Do I need to trim all of the dry ends off, or is that just how some natural hair looks when you straighten it? Maybe it looks like that because I used a curling iron instead of a flat iron or hotcomb? I'm kind of panicked because I thought my ends were healthy, but they look very strawlike compared to the roots.

gayee
01-02-2004, 07:20 PM
that is how my hair is also. i'm wondering is it scab hair or what. its real hard and crunchy. i never big chopped but im ready to get rid of these ends. guess i'll just keep trimming until they are gone.

ShekinahSoul
01-02-2004, 07:55 PM
Sounds like your ends are dry. Too much heat on the hair. To be honest the only time I've seen straigten hair not look dry is with the help of hair grease. And that's not good for the hair either. Maybe some pink lotion will help. But bottom line strong heat simply dries the hair out. And Black hair really does not need that type of heat.

Blackanese
01-02-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by ShekinahSoul@Jan 2 2004, 02:55 PM
Sounds like your ends are dry. Too much heat on the hair. To be honest the only time I've seen straigten hair not look dry is with the help of hair grease. And that's not good for the hair either. Maybe some pink lotion will help. But bottom line strong heat simply dries the hair out. And Black hair really does not need that type of heat.
I know you're right, I just couldn't resist the temptation to see the 'true' length. Do you think the heat affects the ends more? because the rest of it looks fine.

ShekinahSoul
01-02-2004, 08:33 PM
Heat hurts the ends the worst. That's one reason for getting split ends. You do not need to straighten hair to see it's length. Our hair is coily and springy. You can just pull it tight and see how long it is. Well at least that one section you are pulling on. Hair oils come from the scalp down the hair. The ends are the last to get the natural oils so they are more in danger with the heat.

NubianPrincess
01-02-2004, 09:16 PM
It's funny this thread came up. For Christmas, I used a curling iron to curl a tendril of my hair (that's about as much heat as I am willing to play with right now) and the curled, smoothed ends actually felt softer than my own napptural hair :doh I felt so horrible, but I figured maybe it is because even when I soften my hair with moisture and glycerine, it is still thick and packed and shrunk so maybe that's why it never feels as soft as one tiny strand of hair will :-?

I guess in the end, my hair isn't naturally smooth and silky, and I have to judge how soft my hair is supposed to feel by what it does naturally, not what it does with heat.

I hope my post wasn't too :offtopic

napturallyme
01-02-2004, 09:32 PM
Well I straightened my hair for the first time earlier this week and my ends were fine, though I didn't get them real straight because it wasn't my intention to get them bone straight, I think it may be that your ends probably need a trim. I don't really agree that it's the heat that damaged your ends since you said you only used a curling iron to straighten it. I do agree with Shekinah about the hair looking dryer straight, my hair has looked pretty dry to me this week.

Blackanese
01-02-2004, 10:29 PM
I guess I do need a trim, I've trimmed the ends of my twists before, but that's been maybe twice in 10 months.

NappGirlCurl
01-03-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Blackanese@Jan 2 2004, 05:29 PM
I guess I do need a trim, I've trimmed the ends of my twists before, but that's been maybe twice in 10 months.
Yep, lil sis', you may need to give yourself a trim, especially if you still have some scab hair hanging on.

HuGrad2002
01-03-2004, 01:54 AM
when was the last time you trimmed?

ShekinahSoul
01-03-2004, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by NappGirlCurl+Jan 2 2004, 07:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (NappGirlCurl @ Jan 2 2004, 07:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Blackanese@Jan 2 2004, 05:29 PM
I guess I do need a trim, I&#39;ve trimmed the ends of my twists before, but that&#39;s been maybe twice in 10 months.
Yep, lil sis&#39;, you may need to give yourself a trim, especially if you still have some scab hair hanging on. [/b][/quote]
Yea I agree with that. Scab hair is dryer and courser. I know mine was. Whooo the memories. Funny I&#39;m actually looking at a pic on my desk with my fro when I had scab hair still. I seriously thought my natural hair was as a course as a rug :doh Now I feel my roots and wow major difference. So yea if you still have scab hair that will make your ends feel like rice cakes.