PDA

View Full Version : The Intuitionist by Colson Whitehead

MsNikki
01-02-2004, 07:55 PM
I've been debating on whether or not I should purchase this book and I have finally made the decision to buy it. Prior to this week, I had never heard of this author. I only found about this book by searching Amazon. If anyone has read this novel could you please share your thoughts?

Curlysaurus
01-03-2004, 05:06 AM
Hi MsNikki.

The Intuitionist is one of my absolute favorite books. I think Whitehead's writing style is sublime. His portrayal of the main character Lila Mae Watson is -- to me -- a little heartrending. She's incredibly smart but so alone.

At first glance, the storyline seems bizarre and perhaps even boring (a mystery involving an elevator in an accident and a battle between two trains of thought for elevator inspectors!) but Whitehead achieves something amazing with it, IMO. I found the book had a semi-mystical/mysterious edge.

ellimac98
01-03-2004, 03:46 PM
Colson Whitehead gave a talk at the university where I work a couple of months ago. He spoke about how he chose the main character for the Intuitionist. It was very interesting.

I've started both that and John Henry Days, but I could never finish either. But I would definitely recommend both, because the perspectives are so different from anything else being written today.

Curlysaurus
01-03-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by ellimac98@Jan 3 2004, 08:46 AM
Colson Whitehead gave a talk at the university where I work a couple of months ago. He spoke about how he chose the main character for the Intuitionist. It was very interesting.

Do tell!

MsNikki
01-03-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by ellimac98@Jan 3 2004, 03:46 PM

I've started both that and John Henry Days, but I could never finish either. But I would definitely recommend both, because the perspectives are so different from anything else being written today.
Why couldn't you finish either books? Did you find them to be boring?

ellimac98
01-05-2004, 12:30 AM
At the talk, it seemed that with the character of Lila Mae, he wanted to get out his comfort-zone and explore a character unlike himself with respect to gender and time period. He said that the protagonist in his first novel (I can't remember the title or if it was published) was more like himself, a modern urban Black male.

Now as to why I didn't finish either book, John Henry Days was just very difficult to me, with too many characters to follow.

I read 3/4 of The Intuitionist, but got side-tracked with another book. I loved the setting, and the fact that Lila Mae had this unusual profession, but I remember thinking her a cold character. I couldn't really warm to her.

Curlysaurus
01-05-2004, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the response.

MsNikki
01-05-2004, 04:22 AM
Thank you both for responding! Once I finish, I will post my review.