PDA

View Full Version : Stop Being Afraid To Start Your Own Business...

Deep Rooted
04-23-2006, 08:09 PM
Brothers and Sisters I am working on starting my own business. I am currently in the beginning stages (I just started writing my business plan). I have no idea how to start or run a business, and I am completely overwhelmed with all the information that I have found regarding what it takes to start a business. For any of you who happen to be in the same boat I would like your support and I would like to support you in your endeavors.

Also, if anyone owns their own business and would like to give us some pointers, OR if anyone has just started their business and would like to enlighten us as they learn your knowledge and expertise would be greatly appreciated. We can all learn from eachother no matter what stage we are in.

I look forward to hearing from you.[color=#009900]

mecca360
04-23-2006, 08:34 PM
this post could not have come at a better time. I am currently writing my business plan as well.
i agree it is overwhelming. for me it was best to break it down in sections and tackle it that way. the most time consuming part is getting all of the statisticall research.... but i try to keep the faith that it will all be worth it in the end. Besides i cannot see my self as a "slave to the establishment" for much longer...LOL..

anyway, i would love to be a part of this support group. lord knows i need it... feel free to PM so we can exchange info.....

Big Teezy
04-23-2006, 08:38 PM
I just wanted to say this is a great idea :) Good luck ladies

Barklel
04-24-2006, 04:51 AM
Last year I decided to start my own business. I had many sleepless nights. I went out there BLIND and the people who had the knowledge here and there couldn't/wouldn't guie me in the right direction. I was so fustrated but I persevered. I couldn't decide whether I wanted a "dba", an "LLC", an "INC" or other....... I made a few calls over a 2 month span to a few lawyers asking legal questions and decided on an LLC because of the kind of business I have. I think my BIGGEST milestone was filing for a trademark- it literally took me 3-5 hours on-line to file one. That was a HUGE accomplishment for me.. a big weight was off of my shoulders. The only thing I regret is *drum roll* is not doing a business plan first (how backwards is that). I figured since I was funding my own business I didn't need one. Boy was I wrong, so I'm at that point right now. It's not that difficult, but then again it is... I think marketing and ther business plan are my next big challenges. I'm encouraged to press on because I have come to far.. I have way too much time, money and effort invested in my business. It's moving at a snails pace, but it is moving. I thank God for guiding me in the right direction and the will to be able to do EVERYTHING myself... I did everything I had to do without help from anyone. I shun the naysayers.... and I have learned to not talk about my business because there are a LOT of "haters out there" (as Michael Baisden would say about people who try to stomp on those starting their business) .... CAN'T NOBODY STEAL MY SHINE is what I say..... for those trying to start and strive to continue.... please press on!!! The pay-off will be well worth it. If I can help anyone with the knowledge I've obtained, please feel free to ask me. I hope I can help... we are all here for eachother. :D

Deep Rooted
04-24-2006, 04:58 PM
Thanks for your input barklel your expertise is going to be a big help for us. I encourage you to never give up your goal. You inspire me to want to keep working to achieve what I want to do.

The business plan is such a tedious thing! It really is annoying but everyone claims its soooooo essential. I am so scared and discouraged with this thing but I am trying not to give up. It's like every time you think your getting the hang of things you find out a million different extra little tiny pieces of information that you need to know.

And when I visited the U.S. Patent and Trademark website it was like they have written everything in the most complex language there is. You have to read the info like four and five times just to get an understanding.

I still have to figure out how I want to file my business. For anyone who is wondering what LLC, DBA, or INC stands for: Limited Liability Corporation, Doing Business As, Incorporated respectively. These are different ways to file your business and each way has its tax requirements and other distinctions that make it recognizable to the government.

Again, in just about all the books and websites I have coroused(sp?) for information they all stress the importance of a solid business plan so everyone, this should be your first step. No matter how bad we want to skip it. I know I do.

Deep

mecca360
04-24-2006, 09:24 PM
ITA... my take on it is that if you can break it down on paper then it can be manifested sucessfully... it is alot of pressure; even though it is self inflicted...LOL I am just so excited with the prospect. so, as far as the LLC, DBA, and INC..

which one do you think is best and why?.....

just wanting different views... the reading of all of the research i have found is killing my eyes!!! LMAO

ejfel
04-25-2006, 07:21 PM
ITA... my take on it is that if you can break it down on paper then it can be manifested sucessfully... it is alot of pressure; even though it is self inflicted...LOL I am just so excited with the prospect. so, as far as the LLC, DBA, and INC..

just wanting different views... the reading of all of the research i have found is killing my eyes!!! LMAO
[/b]

I don't remember all the information I read on, but since it was me by myself, and I didn't anticipate a huge business, dba seemed the simplest, and that's what I register my business as. God know I need a support group. Working 9-5, I have little motivation to work on my business when I get home from work. I need to pray and work on that. Also, I am now looking for people who takes jewelries on a consignment basis, so if anyone knows any businesses/salons/shops that does, please let me know. My site is www.ejfelco.com (http://www.ejfelco.com) . The jewelries listed there are immitation/costume, I also have beautiful silver jewelries, which I am going to post on a different site. That should be up during the second week of May, God willing. But if anyone is interested and wants to see, I can email pictures. Thanks in advance for any help

ConsciousLocks
04-26-2006, 11:15 AM
[color=#CC0000]Peace and Blessings,
I am in the same boat as everyone else. I am 19 years old and I want to have my own business. I have no idea where to start, and no one who runs their own business to look up to. I too would like to start with a business plan.. I just have no clue where to start. This thread should be a great help! Lets keep it coming!! Who's down for starting a support group?
Btw Mecca I am in Va also near Norfolk we should link up!

mecca360
04-26-2006, 11:21 AM
[color=#CC0000]Peace and Blessings,
I am in the same boat as everyone else. I am 19 years old and I want to have my own business. I have no idea where to start, and no one who runs their own business to look up to. I too would like to start with a business plan.. I just have no clue where to start. This thread should be a great help! Lets keep it coming!! Who's down for starting a support group?
Btw Mecca I am in Va also near Norfolk we should link up!
[/b]

Well it is best to start with writing the plan..
it helps you indetify all the things you envision for your business.....

most def we should link up.... feel free to PM me or hit me up with an email @ mecca360@hotmail.com...

if you have msn messenger... you can add me as a buddy.. (i live online!!!) LMAO

meccadon
04-26-2006, 12:22 PM
I'd like to join this group. Ladies, what tools are you using to write you business plan? How do you write it?

mecca360
04-26-2006, 12:25 PM
There are alot of examples you can use as a guideline on

www.bplans.com

i just printed on out and did my research as i went through each section of the plan...

try printing out a few of the samples...

meccadon
04-26-2006, 12:44 PM
There are alot of examples you can use as a guideline on

www.bplans.com

i just printed on out and did my research as i went through each section of the plan...

try printing out a few of the samples...
[/b]

^Thank you, fellow Mecca, lol :) This thread came right on time, because I started to subconsciously talk myself out of it before I realy started!

ejfel
04-26-2006, 06:43 PM
A really good site is www.sba.gov Since its a government site, it tells you the legal aspect of what you will need, and also things you need to get started, loans, marketing etc... I have it bookmarked :D . www.sba.gov (http://www.sba.gov). Tonight, while watching America's NExt Top Model, I am working thrue the commercials. And I have dedicated an hour after the show to do what I need to do for business...I had a really bad day at work today, so that it motivating me to work on my business so I can quit my job sooner ^_^ . Take care ladies.

Deep Rooted
04-30-2006, 11:45 PM
Follow my lead to VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/color]</span>

Deeply Deep Deep Deeper than Deep

P.S. If your not getting email notifications of this thread check that little box

Loquacious
05-01-2006, 04:17 AM
Im in the process of starting my own business as well. I make accessories and I sew a little bit. I&#39;ve just been making stuff and people are willing to buy so I need to organize. I found some good links, hopefully they&#39;ll be of some help to you.

entrepreneur.com (http://entrepreneur.com) good and informative articles

Bklyn Public Buisness Library (http://biz.brooklynpubliclibrary.org/) Even if you&#39;re not in NY you can benefit alot from this site and its resources

Another BPL page (http://somedaysoon.brooklynpubliclibrary.org/) This is another site under the Bklyn Public Library and its geared more towards young people but there are alot of tools and it gives you the basic understanding of what you need to start your own biz.

Barklel
05-01-2006, 12:30 PM

[/b]

....are you trying to determine which type of business filing you are going to choose? It all depends on the type of business you have.... I chose LLC because of liability...

Deep Rooted
05-02-2006, 07:48 AM
For our first feature this week we will be focusing on Business Legal Organizational Structures :
When you start up a new business you will need to select the business form to operate under. Because there are a number of complex issues involved in determining the form most suitable for your business and your personal situation, it is important to consult a lawyer and a tax advisor. Do this before you do any kind of business, including acquiring property or equipment, hiring employees, leasing space, getting investors, borrowing money, acquiring a license or franchise, etc.

Sole Proprietorship
A single owner of an unincorporated business essentially operates the business as an extension of herself. For tax purposes, profits and losses of the business flow through to the tax return of the owner. Liabilities of the business also flow through to the owner.

General Partnership :
Two or more persons own the business jointly and share profits and losses of the business in accordance with their partnership agreement. Each partner is exposed to the public for the full amount of all liabilities of the business, regardless of the agreement between the partners.

Limited Partnership :
The partnership must have at least one general partner and one limited partner. The general partner has personal liability for all liabilities of the partnership. The limited partner does not have personal liability for the business and cannot take part in the management of the business.

Limited Liability Partnership :
The LLP is taxed and controlled like an ordinary general partnership, except that the partners are not liable for the liabilities of the partnership or for the negligence of other partners. A partner is still liable for her own negligence.

Corporation :
A corporation is owned by one or more stockholders and managed by a board of directors (which may consist of only one person) elected by the stockholders. The directors appoint officers who run the day-to-day business of the company.

Limited Liability Company :
An “LLC” is a hybrid of a corporation and a partnership. The ownership percentages, profit and loss distributions, and voting powers of each member are determined by the agreement, rather than by a pre-set corporate legal structure. At the formation of the company an election is made as to whether the company will be taxed like a partnership with profits and losses flowing through to the owners’ tax returns, or taxed like a corporation. The owners and any officers and directors are protected from the liabilities of the company, including for their own negligence in operating the business. An LLC is generally subject to franchise tax.

Doing Business As (DBA)/Fictitious Business Name :
A fictitious business name, assumed name, or DBA (short for "doing business as"), referred to as "trading as" in the UK, allows you to legally do business as a particular name at minimal cost, and without having to create an entirely new business entity. You can accept payments, advertise, and otherwise present yourself under that name. In fact, if you present your business under a name other than your proper legal name without proper notification, it may be considered fraud. Fortunately, filing for an assumed name is so easy and inexpensive, there&#39;s really not much excuse for not filing one.

Alrighty!!! I know that&#39;s a lot to take in ladies but anything worth having is worth working for if you know what I mean.

This weeks challenge: Figure out which business legal structure would be best for you.

For more information on the above refer here-->Business Organizational Legal Structures (http://entrepreneurs.about.com/od/businessstructure/)

mecca360
05-02-2006, 08:27 AM
TY for this Deep....

I finally decided I am going to go with the LLC....
based on the liability issue......

I have question about getting the paperwork done for this: I see a few companies ads for doing the paperwork for you.. they range at about $600.. is it worth it?
anyone know of a company that they would recommend to provide this serice???

Barklel
05-03-2006, 12:24 PM
I filed my LLC on my own.... it&#39;ll cost you double in the end if you have a lawyer file a 2 minute paper. I did all the research, the newspaper legal notice work,etc.... I don&#39;t think it&#39;s worth having someone else do it for you. Call your local state office in VA for answers on the procedures.

icetia
05-04-2006, 06:39 PM
This couldn&#39;t have come at a better time. I have been thinking about starting my own business as well, and I do have a little advantage: I work for IRS, and I went through months of training on tax law. I didn&#39;t memorize the actual information (there&#39;s no way I could remember it all) , but I did learn how to find answers to questions on starting a business and what some of the best resources are for budding entrepreneurs.
A good starting point is Publication 334 (you can find it on www.irs.gov, under Forms and Publications.) It has a lot of good basic information. After getting familiar with that, you may want to browse some of the other publications as they apply to you.

auset_healer
05-04-2006, 08:33 PM
Hey Ladies,
Great topic, I am so glad to see that there are so many sistahs interested in starting their own businesses and its wonderful that you are supporting each other. I do have my own private healing practice and I also have a real estate and investing business with my husband. Running your own business is a lot of work depending on what type of business you are trying to do, but its very rewarding. I feel so blessed every day being able to make my own hours, work on my own terms and service people the way I believe people deserve to be treated.

Some advice that I can offer is to PAY experts. Please don&#39;t try to be superwomen and do it all yourself. You quickly learn that time is money! Sometimes its not worth saving a few bucks if it requires a lot of your time and energy. Plus that&#39;s what experts are for... you wouldnt try to change your engine in your car if you weren&#39;t a mechanic right? Any person with a successful business does not do it all themselves. Get a good banker, lawyer, accountant, marketer etc. Educate yourself. Read, read, read about people in business, about millioners, people with money..read thier stories so you can learn from their mistakes. Take courses in subjects that you don&#39;t know much about. Familiarize yourself with your area of expertise as well as the things you may hire out to others. Get a mentor! Meet and talk to others who have a business similar to yours, or even someone you may look up. Join associations, there are associations for every profession, believe me. I am a healer and I have found many associations for healers.

Have cash flow-- through loans, other source of income etc. Money will be tight, so have money on hand.

You may want to start out small, part time and let it grow. Or you may start out like me, walk out on faith. The important thing is to start! Its really not important to have your logo, the perfect business cards, even business plan or business entity from the beginning. I still have not set up my LLC yet..my accountant doesn&#39;t do that until you really start making money. I&#39;m finally really starting to make money, so now we&#39;re going through the process- but hes doing it for me. You have to find ways to leverage your time! It&#39;s more important to have specific goals, know your target market and plans. I don&#39;t have business plans for either of my businesses. I&#39;m nost suggesting that, but we started one for the real estate business and it just became a burden. But we had a plan and goals and that&#39;s what we went with. Unless your source of income requires a business plan, do not let that hold up your procress. I have known people who had planned to start a business years ago and are still working on the business plan. Sometimes that becomes an excuse not to move forward.

Anyway, I can go on. But I&#39;ll leave it at that. Good luch with your businesses!

Blessings,
Avalaura

Deep Rooted
05-05-2006, 01:58 AM
:D Hello Nappy Family!!! :D

How is everyone coming along with their future businesses?
I just wanted to remind everyone that Next Friday will be our check in for the challenge on: Deciding which business structure you want to use. (Remember: We do Challenges Bi-weekly)

I hope the feature I provided was helpful to all of you ^_^ . Let&#39;s designate Friday&#39;s as the day when we will pick who will be doing next weeks feature and what it will be.

Until we pick who will be doing next weeks feature (I thought it only fair that EVERYONE get a chance seeing as how we all have something valuable to bring to the table...) How&#39;s about I share a secret with you. As a matter of fact not just one secret but 75 of them.

Check out this little business to-do list (I&#39;m currently in the business plan section myself).-->75 Start-Up Secrets for Small Businesses (http://smallbusiness.aol.com/start/startup/article/_a/75-startup-secrets/20060420154809990001)

Happy trails and never quit your dream of running a successful business.
*****Deep*****

Deep Rooted
05-05-2006, 02:36 AM
^_^ Ladies make sure you check out this thread as well Rant and Rave (part 1) (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.ph...opic=63974&st=0). Part 2 of this thread is already visibly on the board and the first post is a link to part 1.

These threads are very helpful. They have motivational statements, useful links, advice, and inspiration. I think these two threads are so important that I have committed myself to sitting down and reading them both through: EVERY SINGLE POST. I have already gained a wealth of knowledge from the threads, and I have also found the links most helpful. And I know you will as well.

:wub: So check these threads out they&#39;re a must.

Deeply Determined
to start my own biz and to help my sistahs do so as well

Deep Rooted
05-06-2006, 09:39 PM
^_^ How&#39;s everyone doing? I want to know how everyone&#39;s business ventures are going. At the current moment I am a little bit more encouraged than usual, it because the more I research and learn my industry the more it seems reasonable that I could really do this thing.

I&#39;m excited about the future and what could be.

Also, if there is some kind of negativity in your life that is hendering your ability to get your business off the ground get rid of it/deal with it/confront it!!! I had a situation in my life that had me about ready to quit on everything, but then The Most High made it possible for me to deal with it and I feel so much better!

I am more focused, more motivated, and I&#39;m not biting people&#39;s heads off left and right anymore.

So that being said, stay encouraged and I will keep checking back to see how everyone&#39;s doing.

bklyndread
05-08-2006, 05:44 AM
thanks for the links. I have to get back on the roll of things.

Barklel
05-08-2006, 12:58 PM
Some advice that I can offer is to PAY experts. Please don&#39;t try to be superwomen and do it all yourself. You quickly learn that time is money! Sometimes its not worth saving a few bucks if it requires a lot of your time and energy. Plus that&#39;s what experts are for... you wouldnt try to change your engine in your car if you weren&#39;t a mechanic right? Any person with a successful business does not do it all themselves.
[/b]

Great post! I agree to a certain degree. I did decide to file my own LLC because I had the knowledge I needed to do so. I took my time, did the research, weighed my pro&#39;s and con&#39;s, called around to lawyers and spoke to people I knew and places with the information/expertise to guide me in the right direction. It turned out to be a really simple, short process (despite the overwhelming, stomach sinking, awful feeling you feel in the beginning when you&#39;re in the dark). Of course I don&#39;t recommend doing it yourself if you don&#39;t know how. Capricorns are tenacious (and thrifty ) and we tend to take our time with things in order to come up with the correct answers in everything we do (that&#39;s what our astrology says anyway *l*. how true it is.) I do wish I would have taken more time with webservices. I did mine myself and I chose the TOTALLY wrong building system.

Take courses in subjects that you don&#39;t know much about. Familiarize yourself with your area of expertise as well as the things you may hire out to others. Get a mentor! Meet and talk to others who have a business similar to yours, or even someone you may look up. Join associations, there are associations for every profession, believe me. I am a healer and I have found many associations for healers. [/b]

This is EXACTLY why I try doing things myself, so I&#39;ll have the knowledge of every aspect of my business.
I need to know that EVERYTHING is being done properly, is cost effective, and in a done in a timely manner.

Have cash flow-- through loans, other source of income etc. Money will be tight, so have money on hand.[/b]
Uhm, still working on this one... I keep buying supplies so I won&#39;t run out...

Or you may start out like me, walk out on faith.[/b]

This is why I chose the LLC instead of doing a DBA... because I plan on moving forward from where I started last March (of 06).... NOW, I&#39;m talking myself into quiting my 9 - 5... (but I have to think realisticly and give it a few more years.. once my name gets out (LaVida Given By Nature, LLC <-- ok, a cheap plug :P ) everything will be fine... it&#39;s a struggle but SO worth it.

I don&#39;t have business plans for either of my businesses. I&#39;m nost suggesting that, but we started one for the real estate business and it just became a burden. But we had a plan and goals and that&#39;s what we went with. Unless your source of income requires a business plan, do not let that hold up your procress. I have known people who had planned to start a business years ago and are still working on the business plan. Sometimes that becomes an excuse not to move forward. [/b]

I needed to see this. I don&#39;t have one, but I plan on doing one. I could use some free funding from my area and of course they want to see what I have to offer......

phillyflower
05-25-2006, 10:44 AM
Greetings,

This is a wonderful idea. I would we more than happy to serve as a mentor to aspiring entrepreneurs. I own an wellness company called Indigofera. We offer plant based body care in sought after scents. The products are available online at our website (http://www.indigofera.com). This summer I will open my first Natural Salon and boutique.

Entrepreneurship is my passion. I feel blessed to be on this journey. I began in 2000 and I am learning everyday. I have wonderful mentors and I surround myself with a dynamic network.

I am working on my first self published book for aspiring entrepreneurs. This post encourages me to get it done! I am also a graduate student pursuing my MBA online.

In the meantime I will make this challenge:

Complete the SBA.gov online business courses together...Let&#39;s Begin...No excuses...Just do your best and discuss what you learn on the thread. I will check in to guide you alone. You can do it!

Review the following topics Wk one

http://sba.gov/starting_business/index.html

Startup Basics Sponsored by: Office of Entrepreneurial Development

Starting a business can be an exciting venture offering many rewards. However, you must be prepared and you must understand the basics.

Wk one focus on the topics below

Startup Topics
Are you ready? *
Finding a Niche *

Checklist for starting a business *
FREE online Business Planning Course *
Protecting Your Ideas *
Product Basics *
Startup Guide *
Forms of Ownership *

mecca360
05-25-2006, 11:15 AM
ohhhhh.. I love it. I&#39;m in!!!

CoCo2000
05-25-2006, 02:40 PM
I recently found this site, My Own Business, (http://www.myownbusiness.org/index.html) that has a lot of good information, including free online business courses and great templates for business plans (http://www.myownbusiness.org/plans/index.html) that are very easy to follow.

HTH! :)

daydreamr
05-27-2006, 10:55 PM
This information is really helpful! I&#39;ve been thinking about starting up an online business for some time now. If I&#39;m making my own products, besides establishing myself as a legal business, must I also look into copyrights?

blaqueskimo
05-31-2006, 12:07 AM
I want in ladies!!! i&#39;m excited and ready to finally see my ideas through. I&#39;m going to check in with you all often to see where w&#39;re at :D

phillyflower
05-31-2006, 11:18 AM
Greetings,

Identify 3 revelant facts you learned from your week one reading.

What characteristics do you possess that are an asset to your business?

What are you action steps for this week, based on your reading?

Post on.....

blaqueskimo
06-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Hey ladies, you guys have had me SO inspired I&#39;ve been chained to my computer all weekend getting things going, MAN there is a LOT to do! But you know what? I&#39;m doing it with no complaints because it&#39;s for my benefit. It was really hectic because I had to change my hosting site because it was straight JANKY, and to add to that I told people in the beauty forum i&#39;d send out samples etc...so let me delete that because my new site should be up and running by the end of the week:) I&#39;m here waiting on packages of my stock to arrive any minute now. So good luck ladies, and i&#39;ll take a few minutes to read the articles.Candace

LuvJones
06-06-2006, 10:43 PM
Okay I would like to join you.

I&#39;m not starting my own business, but it is a home based business where I will be my own boss. I&#39;m a little scared because I have invested already. I want to think HUGE but it&#39;s baby steps right? I&#39;m trying to come up with my own marketing plans. I really want to do this to give me and mine a healthy financial future, but I am scared of failure. I&#39;m not going to let that stop me though.

Doesn&#39;t Trula have her own zine maybe I can get her to mentor a sista :lol:

Ipanema
06-09-2006, 08:27 AM
I&#39;d like to join, too. I&#39;m self-employed, but I&#39;ve decided to go to the next level & start my own company. I&#39;ve read a ton of books on the subject, but I&#39;m sick of reading. It&#39;s time to just get started. I&#39;m working on a 5-year plan now.

Rastadolly
06-12-2006, 01:44 AM
I am in. I have been trying to start up my own business for the last two years now. Sigh...it&#39;s very fustrating to say the least. I tried my hand at SMC and sold home decor that was slow and it seemed like everyone was doing it, not to mention how weird i felt selling things that I really didn&#39;t make and they loked cheap. I do T-shirts and make really nice gift baskets as well as wedding/party favors but haven&#39;t attempted to sell any because I feel like everyone else is doing it as well lol...arrrggghhh :(

anyway really good thread maybe with this I will be able to re-claim my motivation

LyricalStorm
06-26-2006, 05:23 AM
Ladies; My word. :D What is it Nappturality cant do. This forum is a Godsend. I too would LOVE :wub: to be my own boss an run my own business. My fiance already has and knows what he wants to do. Im stillpicking and grabbing at a market. Right now it&#39;s something I would be doing part time till I am out the military. I was also thinking about the German market as well. Havent looked into it yet, these are thoughts running through my head. Im a young female whos anxious and eager and stuck in Iraq. And you ladies have given me an outlet ot turn too. Thank God for you and willbe a reguar poster as well. I encourage all of you to make your dreams come true. In Jamaica we say "if you wan good ya nose haffi run." :D Later chicas and keep posting.

BlackPearls
06-26-2006, 07:32 AM
I recently started my own business online through my fotki. I only do it part-time as I work full time still, however it was a passion of mine and i hope that this is only the begining of a bigger venture. It took me quite some time to get it going but it is now offically up and runing. It is quite a relief to have it finally get off the ground after many months of planning and finding the necessary supplies. I am a bit nervous about it and still have not recived my first customer review, but I am trying to stay positive and am welcoming both positive and negative crtiques.

I think starting your own business is a wonderful thing because you can pace yourself, and indeed you even learn so much about yourself through all the pressures. It is definitely worthwhile, not only financially but for the experience and I hope other ladies thinking of doing the same give it a shot. Of course nothing happens over night but keep at it and the enjoyment will come!! :wub:

akishac
06-30-2006, 09:36 AM
This forum is right on time for me! I too am in the planning stages of establishing a business, and there are so many directions to go in it is crazy. All of the information out here can be overwhelming, but you push through it and it will be well worth it in the end. I don&#39;t know about all of you that are posting, but I have come to the realization that finding a new job is not the answer. Love the company I work for, but I want to be on my time and have to answer to myself if something goes wrong, you know?!? God has a plan for me as he has for all of you and I know that I need to follow thru with the gifts that he has given me and do this for myself. I don&#39;t know about you, but I know there is a call that I need to stop trying to avoid answering, and I am ready to do this. One of you brought up how a lot of times when people get where you would like to be, they don&#39;t really try to share the information with you, like they are trying to shut your dream down or something--don&#39;t let that discourage you, b/c when one door closes another opens. For every 5 people that won&#39;t put you up on the knowledge, there is one person out there who know that there is enough for everyone, and when you bless someone with the nuggets to succeed, those things come back to you. To all of you on post, continue to pray on your vision, continue to walk on your faith, keep doing your part and when you look up, all that is yours will be there ten times over! I will be a regular poster as well, and hope that we can all give each other the juice to keep it moving and get it done. Good luck to you all, keep pushing and be blessed! :D

blkbuttafly928
07-18-2006, 01:47 AM
I couldnt have found this forum at a better time. I will posting here quite often. I have my idea of what I want....I just have to get started on this business plan. I can only pray that this is what is in God&#39;s plans for me because I have been talking about this since high school. I will be 27 this year and its time that I get off my behind and do something about it instead of being afraid. Its time that I stopped deferring my own dream. Thank you ladies and good luck on your own ventures. All of the websites you all have posted are going to be very helpful in the journey ahead.

hello kitty
07-18-2006, 06:48 AM
wow...this is a great thread...lots of great info!
i&#39;m in the process of starting up a business....as soon as i settle on a name, i&#39;m going to trademark it & get some business cards. for now...i am hoping to get sales based on word of mouth (hopefully my friends will buy my products!) i will look into other marketing ideas later on. i would love to be ready by christmas, but i don&#39;t want to rush anything and make stupid mistakes.

i didn&#39;t realize that i needed to write up a business plan? is this a way to help get loans & market your biz?
i&#39;ve got a bit of savings, so i didn&#39;t plan on taking out any loans....

i am getting a bit overwhelmed by everything....seriously thinking about getting a lawyer to take care of everything....but i hate to spend money on something that i can do myself.

this thread is such an inspiration! thanks for sharing everyone!
http://i1.tinypic.com/v4ovfo.gif

pizazz
08-14-2006, 03:44 PM
Thank you, thank you for starting this topic. I, too would like to start my own business. I&#39;m definitely in the teeny weeny stages. I&#39;m still trying to come up w/ a name, then I know the next step is to trademark it and then......? I think that the links provided should help me if not get it done immediately, but for some inspiration. I&#39;ve been afraid and discouraged for so long. &#39;Preciate it ladies.....Good luck in all of your endeavors.

happylockss
08-19-2006, 04:42 PM
I want to join I have not taken any major steps and I am sick of myself for just thinking about doing it and want to do it, and expecting it to get done without the hard work. Right now I have no money to put into my business so finding an job and going to school and doing the business on the side would be my only option

kame79
09-13-2006, 02:32 PM
Hello fellow businessladies!!

The entrepreneurial bug bit me approx. 4 yrs ago and I&#39;ve been on a mission to open a retail store since. It is a boutique, really, with everything from beautiful paintings from Haiti, African batiks, to cool clothes (unique, funky, vintage, boho, earthy), sterling silver jewelry, natural soap, quilts, throw pillows, uplifiting books, incense, etc....

I&#39;m so excited I could just list everything!! I&#39;m set to sign my lease next week and I&#39;ve just secured my financing (Home Equity Line of Credit). The financing and that was a nightmare in itself. Be sure to keep searching until you find a company that is reasonable in terms of rates and so forth. I had to go through the application process with 4 different mortgage companies before finding a good one. I even recommend Countrywide for all you home loans. The&#39;ve always come thru for me in the last 5 years. Other companies had very high fees in comparison, wanted me to be established

Finding a place to lease was also an experience in itself. I recommend driving everywhere that you can and compare locations, sit in your car and watch people and traffic patterns in the area you&#39;re trying to set up. Will customers be able to see your sign from the street, is there enough parking? What kind of businesses are next you? Do they have the kind of customers that will stop by your place too. Stop and talk to other business owners int he area- you&#39;ll be surprised as to the info you&#39;ll get!

If you&#39;re a retail, really do your research on the product you&#39;ll be selling. Test it out on Ebay, craigslist.com, local craft markets, etc. Accepting money has always made me feel a little "weird" in the past. I&#39;d some ask myself whether my product was good enough or worth the amount of money people were giving me for it. Selling the products using the resources I mentioned above over the last year really helped me alot. I&#39;ve been able to improve on some of my products just by making subtle changes based on feedback I&#39;ve received from customers.

In any case, this experience has been CRAZY to say the least. I often think back to when the store was just a dream and can&#39;t belive just how far I&#39;ve come! I can&#39;t count how many nights I spent tossing and turning- sometimes due to disappointment and other times, excitement due to particular successes. So...regardless of where you are in your journey ladies, I say don&#39;t give up your dream! I know that things will become even crazier in the months to come and I might not make any money for a while. It&#39;s alll worth it to me!

encore310
09-20-2006, 01:52 PM
what a great posting! i&#39;m 24 yrs old and currently trying to start my own business. i&#39;ve written my business plan and am starting to make the next steps. it&#39;s so hard to find the time though...as i have a full-time and am in business school working on my m.b.a. the good thing is that i&#39;m planning on concentrating on entrepreneurship, and will hopefully be able to use my business plan/idea - hoping that the coursework will help me groom my plan, network, and be more confident in my efforts. i applaude all of you for being so courageous, it is such a positive towards the improvement of our community and families. i appreciate the support of this site and can&#39;t wait to hear more success stories (i pray mine is one of them :blush: )

peace

happylockss
09-20-2006, 05:09 PM
How can we do this without feeling like its soo much to do. I got two notebooks and started writing things down, the links and the Irs information. Trying to take everyone on step at a time. Now there may not be short cuts, but I have no funds. Paying someone for this and that is not going to happen, I dont even have a car and just got money for school. I wont let my dreams go away and am not leaving this thread if Allah wills, but how do you put it together with little funds and big dreams and will to learn.

Coneshag
09-25-2006, 01:28 AM
I am surprised that there is a section here that discusses this! I have been writing a business plan and I am very excited about it. I am reading books on starting the type of business that I am interested in and I am very glad to be able to share with you all.

naturalbeliever
10-12-2006, 08:27 PM
How can we do this without feeling like its soo much to do. I got two notebooks and started writing things down, the links and the Irs information. Trying to take everyone on step at a time. Now there may not be short cuts, but I have no funds. Paying someone for this and that is not going to happen, I dont even have a car and just got money for school. I wont let my dreams go away and am not leaving this thread if Allah wills, but how do you put it together with little funds and big dreams and will to learn.
[/b]
Happylockss, a lot of entreprenuers short on funds will network to find others out there with an ability they lack (e.g. creating an attractive, secure website) and barter services with them. That might be a start until you have a nice financial cushion. :) Going into business for yourself certainly can become overwhelming. A business plan is very important. they can be a simple or as complex as you like. They help keep you focused and on track. They give any potential investors a glimpse into your vision and what you may accomplish. If you have an idea and are raring to go, don&#39;t let the fact that the plan is incomplete stop you from going forward, but don&#39;t neglect writing down your plan.

Urbanite
10-16-2006, 12:23 PM
I&#39;m so glad I found this thread! I am starting my own business and got a small loan from my bank for start-up costs. Like someone else said, I kind of jumped in without a business plan but I am going to back it up and start from the top. :) I&#39;m so excited about this.

Hello fellow businessladies!!

The entrepreneurial bug bit me approx. 4 yrs ago and I&#39;ve been on a mission to open a retail store since. It is a boutique, really, with everything from beautiful paintings from Haiti, African batiks, to cool clothes (unique, funky, vintage, boho, earthy), sterling silver jewelry, natural soap, quilts, throw pillows, uplifiting books, incense, etc....

I&#39;m so excited I could just list everything!! I&#39;m set to sign my lease next week and I&#39;ve just secured my financing (Home Equity Line of Credit). The financing and that was a nightmare in itself. Be sure to keep searching until you find a company that is reasonable in terms of rates and so forth. I had to go through the application process with 4 different mortgage companies before finding a good one. I even recommend Countrywide for all you home loans. The&#39;ve always come thru for me in the last 5 years. Other companies had very high fees in comparison, wanted me to be established

Finding a place to lease was also an experience in itself. I recommend driving everywhere that you can and compare locations, sit in your car and watch people and traffic patterns in the area you&#39;re trying to set up. Will customers be able to see your sign from the street, is there enough parking? What kind of businesses are next you? Do they have the kind of customers that will stop by your place too. Stop and talk to other business owners int he area- you&#39;ll be surprised as to the info you&#39;ll get!

If you&#39;re a retail, really do your research on the product you&#39;ll be selling. Test it out on Ebay, craigslist.com, local craft markets, etc. Accepting money has always made me feel a little "weird" in the past. I&#39;d some ask myself whether my product was good enough or worth the amount of money people were giving me for it. Selling the products using the resources I mentioned above over the last year really helped me alot. I&#39;ve been able to improve on some of my products just by making subtle changes based on feedback I&#39;ve received from customers.

In any case, this experience has been CRAZY to say the least. I often think back to when the store was just a dream and can&#39;t belive just how far I&#39;ve come! I can&#39;t count how many nights I spent tossing and turning- sometimes due to disappointment and other times, excitement due to particular successes. So...regardless of where you are in your journey ladies, I say don&#39;t give up your dream! I know that things will become even crazier in the months to come and I might not make any money for a while. It&#39;s alll worth it to me![/b]

My business twin! ^_^ We shoulda been partners. We have the same vision in mind. I eventually want to buy a property where I will combine a profit (a boutique and bookstore/restaurant) and a non-profit (an African-centered Saturday Academy) in the same building. Right now, I am working on creating shampoos, conditioners, hair and body butters, and soaps using all-natural, vegan products. I am also making and selling jewelry, and beginning to experiment with candles, incense, and facial products. I will be taking sewing classes soon to perfect that craft so I can begin making some bags I have in mind. I also want to begin screen-printing shirts.

And, like you, I feel so weird asking people to pay for the things I make. Not sure why that is, but I am all about free samples right now just to get some feedback. So I may be contacting some of you!

happylockss
10-27-2006, 02:16 PM
Can anyone show me an real business plan and what it looks like? I can not access the library or go there right now. How would I create one for myself. I was thinking about opening up a retail shop as well, and I made up my mind that I would place my business in an african american neighborhood, because I do not see many black owned business in houston in this african american area, I want to be an example and I hope others will move up and have bigger dreams.

siglo
10-29-2006, 03:25 PM
I have been coming to this site for a few months now and just came across this thread,but i just switched the computer on to drown out my husbands incessive lecture about not following through with my business plan. You ladies are so motivating, i feel ready to finish up what i started, i just drifted and got caught up with (stuff), to hear some of you ladies go through some of the same thing makes a different. And it sounds different than when my husband preach at me. Thanks for getting me motivated again, and you ladies be motivated.

Nappilocs
11-08-2006, 05:56 AM
Great information ladies..

bronze
11-15-2006, 12:53 AM
--------

cachelleink
12-30-2006, 07:12 PM
Hey Ladies,

I hope I can help in my own little way. I have been in business for seven years now and it’s definitely a growing process. There are always doubts and insecurities and challenges along the way, but stay focused and truly believe that you are in this to succeed.

First, establish a limited liability company. I was advised years ago by my lawyer that this was the safest way to go.

To date, I have still not completed my business plan (shhhhhh). I know it’s a “must have” but it honestly has not stopped me from running a successful Photography and Design firm. My advice is that you complete your plan but don’t believe that it is the only way that you can really start your business.

If you need detailed help, I’d like to make myself available to you all. Feel free to send me a PM.

I started my business right out of college. Couldn’t find a job to satisfy my creative spirit! It’s been a wild ride. I regret none of it. Be prepared for anything and everything.

http://www.cachelleink.com

NapturalRoots
01-16-2007, 09:17 AM
I am sooooo Happy that I found this thread I was goin to start my own so that I could vent, cry, laugh, and shout about the trials and tribulations of being a small business owner. Normally I &#39;m just a nappturality lurker :icon_ShiftyEye: but today I feel a pretty big post comin on ... I began doing hair in my small basement apartment as a hobby and a hustle. After a push ( from GOD first, and my landlord second ) I ventured out into my own small braid shop in late summer of 2001. I can&#39;t say this was my plan I really wanted to be a teacher. However after one Saturday while I was braiding hair for a pretty prestigious person I recieved a phone call from my boss at the time who informed me he expected me to be at work when he wanted me there because he paid me good damn money to do so " I DONT GIVE A DAMN WHOSE HAIR YOU BRAID!" were his exact words. Needless to say I have never worked for anyone ever again... I have since owned two small out of the way braid shops. I mean go around the back past the dumpster and knock on the lil black door and Voila ! I have been the victim of the Ghetto Lease... " well since I didn&#39;t raise the rent last year I am gonna raise it 10% this year " ....People took advantage because they knew I was unlicensed. Because I essentially thrust myself into business with no former research or knowledge I have had to pay my dues. The were PLENTY of times when I wanted to throw in the towel and give up. But so far the Grace and Mercy of GOD has pulled me through. I have even had to take a step back to take a step forward I now rent a chair in a shop. I am now doing every thing I can to educate myself by attending every small business seminar worksop and meeting. I am currently about to enroll into an Entrepreneurial Assistance Program given by my local community college. A ten week course on all aspects of business from taxes to plan writing, acounting etc.. Please check your local listings the Government pays for this stuff. I am also in the midst of writing a comprehensive, fully functionally business plan. What I mean is that there are several types of business plans that you can write. The type that are strictly for capital building- Short sweet and to the point- The type that are for proposals-This is my idea I hope you like it- Or the All in one, the latter will serve as a reference guide and operations manual to your business. I have decided to take my time and firgure out exactly how I want my business to run, Return policies, vendors, stock, shipping, order of operations for sales, service, staff, area renters etc... Financial projections have been the hardest thing for me to wrap my head around. The cash flow projections, Profit and Loss statements is enough to make you go crazy. But in the end I know it will serve me better to know how each penny will be placed in what hand.How to handle my finances has been my biggest challenge. See I&#39;ve been winging it for five years and I just figured out that I have to make money and Natural Roots Hair Care Inc. Has to make money, meaning that I have to deposit a certain amount of money every week to show as income for my business. not to be touched unless it&#39;s for business use, not for groceries.... :blush: Trust me you guys Everything is not written in stone but most of it is in blood sweat and tears I have been there and still gettin there, but every day is a new challenge and I love it. Some books that have helped out are " How to Write a Business Plan." By NOLO and "Retail Business For Dummies" I also found a great business plan writing template for free on Download.com http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?t...20plan&tag=srch (http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?tg=dl-20&qt=ultimate%20business%20plan&tag=srch) Hope that hyperlink works I told y&#39;all I dont post much I hope EVERYONE in this is blessed with Love, Success and Happiness in everything you do I vow to show love to y&#39;all cause Lord knows I need a lil love myself :wub: Peace and Blessings ....

darcysmom
01-30-2007, 03:36 PM
This thread was a wonderful idea. I am in the process of starting my own hair & body care business. It hasn&#39;t been easy. Especially for a single mom like myself. But here&#39;s my 2 cents.....

1.) Read, google, read, google --- be willing to research and learn everything you can about your business as well as others (competitors) who are already doing what you do. Absorb as much as you can because this knowledge can take you far. Remember that no one can reinvent the wheel, but you can offer something original and unique that will provide a useful benefit to others :)

2.) Like the young lady stated above..... PAY the experts!!!! I am just now learning this one unfortunately. Trying to do everything myself had literally held me back for about a year and a half!!! Your time is MONEY. All of the time I spent trying to do it myself, just allowed others to come out with the same ideas, etc that I had been sitting on for years. Get out there and do your thing before anyone else has an opportunity to do it better!!! Now keep in mind, I spent a great deal of time also researching, creating, and developing my products too. So not all of the time was in vain :)

3.) Be willing to share your knowledge with others (i.e. like so many of you have been on this thread). It can be frustrating at times trying to get the info. you need from others at times. Just believe in yourself and have faith. Everything you need, with just a little effort will fall into place.

Thank you ladies for always inspiring and motivating me. This thread couldn&#39;t have come at a better time.

Dovechild20
03-15-2007, 10:19 PM
bump because im trying to put together a marketing plan and just would like to hear any input from someone who has done it.

buttaflybaby
04-26-2007, 11:12 PM
i need to come back and read this all the way through. i&#39;ve been wanting to start a biz for years and i have soooo many ideas. if we pull together we can all help each other a great deal. fo sho!

knickld
04-27-2007, 02:54 AM
wow...I could cry-- u sistahz are such an awesome inspiration... have a very creative spirit as well-- I write, draw... I am learning to sew and make jewelry... I have hustled making gift baskets a couple of times... photography and painting are my passions... (these are God-given talents that I NEED to be utilizing...) I have also dabbled with a janitorial biz...
I got my "paycheck" from my "job" yesterday, and it was small and small... and... depressing...
there are some businesses than can flourish without an official business plan... I need to get on top of my game... I am sitting here at 545 in the morning ( need to get my children and myself dressed; so that I can go to this "job")
I will be working on my business goals-- tonite... this weekend... I told my husband that I want us to see atleast $100,000---for starters--- within a year ( and neither of us have &#39;better&#39;-paying jobs...) but I an claiming THAT in the name OF JESUS--- thanks again ladies... gotta go to work :(
Be BLESSED!!!!!!!!!!

KayC
05-01-2007, 07:49 AM
This is a great thread. I&#39;m in! I started my business Dearestdesigns.com a little over a year ago. It&#39;s part-time, something I do on the side to fill the creative side of me. I wrote my business plan after being in business for eight months. I didn&#39;t know the proper steps when I first opened, but waiting was a plus for me because my plan is a lot stronger now.

Your business plan should evolve and change as your business gets older. I found a great sample plan online, I will search for it and post the link.

mufasa
05-01-2007, 06:45 PM
Thank you for this thread - especially the portion about "seeking out experts". I have been reading as well so I could have some background when speaking with them. I am scheduled to see a lawyer soon and tell him of my ideas to get going. I have been reading about marketing in my area of expertise and this is also helping a lot too.

Are there any positive affirmations that one can use for businesses?

Nappturous Diva
05-03-2007, 10:36 AM
TY for this Deep....

I have question about getting the paperwork done for this: I see a few companies ads for doing the paperwork for you.. they range at about $600.. is it worth it?
[/b]

I&#39;ve also filed my paperwork on my own, for 3 different companies - 1 real estate LLC, 1 hair salon S-corp and another consulting firm - LLC. It&#39;s really easy, and a good accountant is the main partner you need. They should provide you with the forms for free - if not, find another accountant!

KayC
05-15-2007, 05:30 AM
Okay Ladies, I found the link to the resource I used for writing my business plan. They have several free downloads and offer a wealth of information.

SCORE (http://www.score.org/template_gallery.html)

mydestiny
05-15-2007, 09:11 PM
I also went ahead and filed my business as an LLC today. It cost about $105 But I had to do it. I also went ahead and got on the IRS. gov website to get an EIN. My biz is a sole proprietorship but LLC made more sense than an DBA.

If you try to do this with a company instead of going through your state website they will charge you much more. The State of MO allows you to file and pay online. Most companies I seen were charging at least $100 more for the same thing.

ms_rite
07-30-2007, 07:21 AM
doing business online (http://www.startups.co.uk/Doing_business_online.aD-ustw.html)

This is a brilliant thread - I&#39;m at the research stage - i found this link which has excellent tips for online businesses amongst other things. It is a UK based site but I think business advice is generic aside from things like tax etc.

How is it going for those that have already started??? And what about those of you who were at the business plan stage - have you made progress since you last posted??

apb1172
10-05-2007, 06:26 AM
PLEASE DON&#39;T LET THIS THREAD DIE!!!!! Where is everyone at? I jsut started planning my business this past weekend and I am so overwhelmed. Actually this thread is a bit overwhelming to tell the truth! There are so many things that I haven&#39;t thought about and I honestly thought my idea was original! Dang it! I really need to stay my course I can see that and keep plugging away because I know I can get this thing off the ground in a years time. Thank you for all the advice and I look forward to being able to share as I learn.

nappdiva
10-07-2007, 08:07 PM
I have a question also:

What if you have an idea to generate money to help you generate another business?

Here&#39;s my dilemma, I want to start a Errand Service, but I need a car. Even though I am in the NYC area, we have transportation, but some locations definitely require a car.

So I decided to generate some t-shirts for extra income to save for the car. But I came up with a great concept for shirts, (including a name).

Here&#39;s the question:

Can I get a DBA for the T-shirt business and a get a LLC generated for the Errand Service at the same time? Reason: I have a great name for the errand service, and I don&#39;t want anyone else to think of it and claim it.

Any advice?

apb1172
10-08-2007, 12:55 AM
I have a question also:

What if you have an idea to generate money to help you generate another business?

Here&#39;s my dilemma, I want to start a Errand Service, but I need a car. Even though I am in the NYC area, we have transportation, but some locations definitely require a car.

So I decided to generate some t-shirts for extra income to save for the car. But I came up with a great concept for shirts, (including a name).

Here&#39;s the question:

Can I get a DBA for the T-shirt business and a get a LLC generated for the Errand Service at the same time? Reason: I have a great name for the errand service, and I don&#39;t want anyone else to think of it and claim it.

Any advice?
[/b]
I don&#39;t see why you couldn&#39;t. It is my understanding that you could have a DBA for several businesses and that they are the easiest to file for. If you need to go to the same place for registering your DBA and your LLC, then why couldn&#39;t you file for them both? However, filing for an LLC soulds like a time consuming process from what I have read on this and other boards. Good luck and HTH.

cmsheart
10-08-2007, 08:27 AM
Just bumping and throwing out a question...

Who has done niche/market research and what method did you use to do so?

I&#39;m finding my research to be a little daunting. I&#39;m using census.gov for demographic info and the such and have found a few other things but would like to know what methods and tools some of you have used.

Kelly28
10-08-2007, 04:58 PM
I actually started my own business last year. I&#39;m a hairstylist and I currently work out of my home. Before deciding to work from home I was offered an opportunity to rent a small space for $450 monthly. Although I was excited coming fresh out of school I had a lot to consider. Am I prepared to take on a monthly rent, electric, water, advertising and supplies. The answer to that question was no. I decided to try and start up at home only taking clients on a referral basis. First, I started to write my business plan and the direction I wanted to see my business go in.Then I began searching craigslist.org for the furniture I needed. I have been so blessed to have found 2 sets of styling stations with mirrors and chairs, 2 sit under hooded dryers, 2 shampoo sinks, 1 shampoo chair, and a rolling cart all for less than $500!!! Although the furniture is used it is in excellent condition. It took about 4 months to get all the furniture I needed but I have it. It&#39;s been a process and I&#39;ve had to make some decisions based on my family&#39;s needs( married with 5 children) Even though I had to cut my days for the sake of raising my children, by the grace of God I&#39;m still doing my business. I&#39;ve been told by others that maybe I should get a 9-5 and put the kids in daycare. But God is allowing me be home with my children while persuing my dream of owning my own salon. Right now it&#39;s just me but when the time comes I know God will give me the increase at the right time. So in all of this I say to anyone who wants to work for themselves do not let people tell you what you can&#39;t do, instead allow God to use you to show them otherwise.

Peace and Blessings

nappi
10-12-2007, 02:51 PM
i too am interested in starting my own business
i want to start off on ebay and than branch off and have my own independant site
i will be selling ladies handbags and baby clothes
i sold a few items on ebay already
i just need to find a wholesaler/dropshipper
so i can create a stream of income
good luck to all u ladies

Nabru
10-15-2007, 08:54 PM
I don&#39;t remember all the information I read on, but since it was me by myself, and I didn&#39;t anticipate a huge business, dba seemed the simplest, and that&#39;s what I register my business as. God know I need a support group. Working 9-5, I have little motivation to work on my business when I get home from work. I need to pray and work on that. Also, I am now looking for people who takes jewelries on a consignment basis, so if anyone knows any businesses/salons/shops that does, please let me know. My site is www.ejfelco.com (http://www.ejfelco.com) . The jewelries listed there are immitation/costume, I also have beautiful silver jewelries, which I am going to post on a different site. That should be up during the second week of May, God willing. But if anyone is interested and wants to see, I can email pictures. Thanks in advance for any help
[/b]

You have just explain my exact situation, I work a 9-6 sometimes 9-9 job and when I get home all I want is my bed, so that leaves me Saturdays and Sunday afternoon, and the crazy and frustrated thing is that I have been at this job for a yr and a half and I have motivated about 4 people to start their business. I have the motivation and I am a hard worker, but I don&#39;t know what it is but I am moving like molasses....lol, I haven&#39;t started my Business plan yet , (but that is my next move). I Love this Thread .......Lord knows I need support, I am surrounded by negativity, BUT i have remained positive through this journey that I am about to begin .....Thank is advance for your support and advice.

apb1172
10-16-2007, 10:55 PM
You have just explain my exact situation, I work a 9-6 sometimes 9-9 job and when I get home all I want is my bed, so that leaves me Saturdays and Sunday afternoon, and the crazy and frustrated thing is that I have been at this job for a yr and a half and I have motivated about 4 people to start their business. I have the motivation and I am a hard worker, but I don&#39;t know what it is but I am moving like molasses....lol, I haven&#39;t started my Business plan yet , (but that is my next move). I Love this Thread .......Lord knows I need support, I am surrounded by negativity, BUT i have remained positive through this journey that I am about to begin .....Thank is advance for your support and advice.
[/b]
We all have to stop moving so slowly! That is how ideas get stolen so lets all reaffirm that we are on the wagon and going to do this thing!!!!!

apb1172
10-22-2007, 07:03 AM
Hey everyone what have we all been up to? Myself - not so much, I have been in somewhat of a holding pattern lately waiting for today to arrive. I know it isn&#39;t a HUGE deal, but I am meeting with my SCORE executive today. I haven&#39;t really been thinking/talking about it to much because I feel like I have been putting my ideas out there a bit too much right now and I needed to step back a bit. But it is now here and I am really excited! I have so many questions I don&#39;t know if I can fit it all into one hour. Thank goodness these sessions are free! I intend to take FULL ADVANTAGE of them as should we all!

I am really excited to be at the point where I really cam take my next steps in the process. I know though that the honeymoon will end and there is a lot of hard and probably at times unpleasant work to be done, but if I just follow through and stay motivated, it will happen. I was telling my friend this morning, "If I do my part, God will hold my space for me."

I also decided to start my business plan over. The public library in my town has a greaet business start-up program that is free and LOADED with resources. PLUS it also gives tells you EXACTLY where to go to find any information you need in the library itself. Which is a big plus for me because I was never very good at navigating in the library. It should be a great aid to my needed research efforts and that is one area that I struggle in.

I still am struggling with the name of my business. It is hard to encompass what I envision my place to be in just a few words ya know. I know who I want to focus on initially as customers, but I also have a broader view of the customer base I want to serve and I want that to be reflected as well. Maybe I am just thinking to much about it. I think I&#39;ll put that on the back burner for now and focus on the next steps to come.

I really hope this thread doesn&#39;t die because I really appreciate all of you and having a place to come and talk that has a true community feeling. Honestly, this website and this site alone is my inspiration for starting my business. (hmm...perhaps Dee should get a PM from me.....) :icon_thinkerg: :whistling: :bolt:

buttaflybaby
10-25-2007, 06:38 PM
ok LOVIN THIS TOPIC! how do i bookmark it?

i&#39;m goin through the pages and clickin the links. next i&#39;mma have to go back through everything and read.

thanks SOOOO much for posting this! may many blessings flow your way! :P

jorjeni
10-28-2007, 08:14 PM
So what people are saying is

Even though I am the Sole owner of my busines I can still set it up as a Corperation. The same for a LLC. I do not have to have a partner for these??

honeybunch2k5
10-29-2007, 07:04 PM
I dream of starting my own health food and beauty shoppe. I have an idea of what I would like to sell. I&#39;m a little scared that it wouldn&#39;t work though.

I fantasize about doing it soon-i wouldn&#39;t want someone else to do it first and be in competition with them.

jorjeni
10-29-2007, 07:33 PM
I want to add another question to the other. I started a business years ago and I already have a DBA. I listed the business as a Financial Consultant. I was going to register a new DBA for my new business which is my bath and body business. I was wondering if I could just go ahead for now and use the DBA I had for the other business for this one? Do I have to register the DBA to say it is now a bath and body business? Since money is tight I am trying to see if I can just use the other DBA for now and when I get more money register the other one which will be a few weeks from now. I just want to start selling as soon as I can.

TIA

apb1172
11-03-2007, 02:59 AM
I want to add another question to the other. I started a business years ago and I already have a DBA. I listed the business as a Financial Consultant. I was going to register a new DBA for my new business which is my bath and body business. I was wondering if I could just go ahead for now and use the DBA I had for the other business for this one? Do I have to register the DBA to say it is now a bath and body business? Since money is tight I am trying to see if I can just use the other DBA for now and when I get more money register the other one which will be a few weeks from now. I just want to start selling as soon as I can.
TIA
[/b]
I siwh I could answer that question for you. I would suggest that you contact your local score office for a free counseling session. I am sure someone there could answer your question. Also, their follow-up counseling is free as well so you could perhaps build a relationship with a counselor for the long run. That is my plan. You can also try your local SBA or Attorney General to find out the legal ramifications.

I though I would update you all on what I have been doing. After taking a long hard look at my finances, I had to change my approach. My vusiness idea has been to open up a boutique beauty supply store. I was so excited about it because I have a unique retail situation in the building that I live in and I could work it out to have very minimal rent. Unfortunatley, I don&#39;t/won&#39;t have the money to open my store by my deadline. So I have decided to go a different route. I am going to start my bath and body line first. I am so excited. I will be purchasing my equipment next week and will hopefully be ready to start by January 1. I will keep you all informed.

DaDiva
11-11-2007, 08:22 PM
Hi, Divas:

I&#39;m new to the board. I picked this topic because I just launched my newest website called DivasOnTheProwl.com wherein we post profiles of sistahs of Afrikan (Black) descent who are in business for themselves. From reading a lot of the posts here, I believe that my website could benefit a number of you if you already are established and looking for a start to begin receiving customers for your business. We do the profile, we include your product, a bio about you and/or your company, you can include a stand-alone building address, phone number, website address, email address, so that if anyone clicks on your profile, they will have enough information about you to determine whether or not you have what they want. The only thing that we ask for in return is that you place one of our beautiful banners (http://www.divasontheprowl.com/dotpbanners.htm) on your website where your visitors can easily see it. That&#39;s right. It&#39;s FREE.

We do our updates often and we also send out mass emailing so that many people will get a chance to see what&#39;s new on our website. You may view our Meet The Divas (http://www.divasontheprowl.com/meetthedivaslist.htm) page and see if this is what you can do for you and your business.

Our website also carries a number of other interesting things that will keep you there for quite awhile.

DaDiva
DivasOnTheProwl.com (http://www.divasontheprowl.com)

childofmist
12-06-2007, 09:33 AM
bump!
I&#39;m still in the researching stage. I hope I can get my business started in the next 6 months. :)

Dovechild20
12-22-2007, 06:35 PM
Its time for me to get serious, i have been in "analysis paralysis" for over a year now. My "New Years Resolution" is to OFFICIALLY GET STARTED.
Im scared as all get out, but Im ready.

bronze
01-02-2008, 12:24 AM
--------

sassyjaymo
01-03-2008, 11:27 AM
I think that this is a great medium for like minded people to come together and share the information and knowledge that we have gained over the years. I too, have started my own business. I researched my information for 7 years. I am in the process of incorporating and trademarking this year. My website is up and running. I look forward to conversing with all of you on the subjunt if business and wish each and every one of you the best in your business endeavors.

nkem2004
01-05-2008, 10:00 AM
This forum is very inspiring, I also want to start a business. I&#39;m currently a fashion design major and looking to start a line of clothing soon. This is something i&#39;ve never done before and I&#39;m totally scared.

honeybunch2k5
01-31-2008, 07:15 PM
nkem, I&#39;m scared,too! I don&#39;t even know anyone who has their own business. I still want to have like a health food store. I was thinking I could even grow some of the produce myself. I&#39;m afraid of being put out of business by Whole Foods (that&#39;s if I don&#39;t start it where I live now).

Mara
04-21-2008, 01:30 AM
I haven&#39;t read the whole thread but this is where my head is right now. I am trying to sort out the how, where and when to start my own business(es). I am going to take my time and review this thread.

KB
04-21-2008, 05:45 PM
*sigh*

i&#39;m afraid, thats why i&#39;ve been lazy :(

honeybunch2k5
04-22-2008, 03:33 PM
As for fear-I think of it like this. There is a risk of failing in a business, but there&#39;s a similar risk for employees. In fact, at my job 100 people (middle management) were laid off.

ETA: And lots not forget the intangibles when it comes to being an entrepreneur. Depending on the nature of your business, you can bring kids with you which saves you $$$ on child care. You can set your own hours. Setting your own hours is another plus.

Sugawata
04-24-2008, 03:24 PM
I am truly loving this thread. I have started a couple of ventures...both part-time home based. I have dragged my feet for years in doing what is necessary to make these "booming businesses"....and I know that I have stood in my own way. I can admit that I have been afraid of success and failure. I come up with the ideas and put lots of energy into research and formation, then I let it fizzle.

You phenomenal women have inspired me to keep pressing...and I will. My businesses are profitable, but can be even more so if I put the right time and energy behind them. Right now, I operate out of the basement of my home. I eventually want to open an actual storefront, so I have to complete my business plan and save $$.

Lets keep this thread going and continue to inspire one another!

Love, Light & Pure Goodness to you all.........

honeybunch2k5
04-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Holy Moly I was just looking at the costs to lease retail space. I&#39;m gonna have to find something really,really small (which is fine). I may start of online or do online in addition to having a shop. But I am determined to do this even if I have to work a second job.

LovingBlack
04-29-2008, 04:14 AM
honeybunch..what were some of the prices you saw?

KB
04-29-2008, 03:59 PM
Holy Moly I was just looking at the costs to lease retail space. I&#39;m gonna have to find something really,really small (which is fine). I may start of online or do online in addition to having a shop. But I am determined to do this even if I have to work a second job.
[/b]

thats why i said in your other thread to start off really really really small. i dont care if you rent a booth that be in the aisles/walk ways of the mall. or see if you can share a space with a small store owner.

Sugawata
04-29-2008, 07:28 PM
Yes, retail space is quite costly. I dream of the day that I have a good space with lots of foot traffic. Location can make or break your business. Right now, I retail out of a designated space in my basement. That works well, but I have to rely heavily on word of mouth and marketing to get new customers. I guess its time for me to rely on MySpace as well. I am so not a MySpace person, but I hear it works wonders for networking.

HB...best of luck on your venture honey!

tbaby900
04-29-2008, 08:12 PM
Everyone check out vistaprint.com for low cost marketing ideas!

honeybunch2k5
04-30-2008, 11:34 AM
honeybunch..what were some of the prices you saw?
[/b]
$1,000 and up, but the locations were really,really good. Online biz here i come lol.

Ty@ sugawata!

thats why i said in your other thread to start off really really really small. i dont care if you rent a booth that be in the aisles/walk ways of the mall. or see if you can share a space with a small store owner.
[/b]
Hmmm, I could do that. Someone else told me to do that as well. Its a start. :)

chokolatedove
05-03-2008, 06:41 AM
This is a good thread and I just posted a new thread about this same type of info sharing. I am putting my dibs in here as well. I am looking for info. Ima little sleepy right now but will return to read up on ideas. I have been thinking of a business plan. I need to find a basic step by step for the begining stages of home/own businesses. :P

choco
05-17-2008, 12:55 AM
Brothers and Sisters I am working on starting my own business. I am currently in the beginning stages (I just started writing my business plan). I have no idea how to start or run a business, and I am completely overwhelmed with all the information that I have found regarding what it takes to start a business. For any of you who happen to be in the same boat I would like your support and I would like to support you in your endeavors.

Also, if anyone owns their own business and would like to give us some pointers, OR if anyone has just started their business and would like to enlighten us as they learn your knowledge and expertise would be greatly appreciated. We can all learn from eachother no matter what stage we are in.

I look forward to hearing from you.[color=#009900]
[/b]
Hi I am in the beginning stages of finally starting my business. I have been dreaming of starting it for years and now I finally feel it&#39;s my set time.... getting started is challenging. I feel as though I&#39;m goin in circles. I am submitting my forms to register my business name and app. for tax id tommorrow. I am using this program to write my business plan. I hope to make more headway this weekend.
You can do this! I believe you just need to keep your focus, accept the challenges as tools to strengthen you on your journey. :lol:

honeybunch2k5
05-19-2008, 05:04 PM
^What program are you using?

I saw on TV where a family converted their shed into a small shop. I really like that idea!

chokolatedove
05-19-2008, 07:32 PM
I need to know whats the first thing to do when starting your home business? I have been thinking of this all weekend and did some work. I think im clueless as to whats first.

tbaby900
05-19-2008, 07:56 PM
chokolatedove, Do you have a business license? In my county you have to let them know it is a home business. Have you decided your business name/entity? Have you written a business plan ?(some say do this first others do it later)

Sunkissed08
05-19-2008, 08:52 PM
Ladies! I am so excited about this thread! I am currently working on my business plan as well. :)

Malia78
05-21-2008, 03:49 PM
Hi everyone I am also in the process of starting my own marketing communication and consumer insight company. I have a partner we are currently in the process of merging business plans and trming down the services that we will offer.
I have known for a long time that I wanted to work for myself but fear of the unknown kept me in a cycle of unfufilling jobs. When I returned to Baltimore last fall, I took another job with the vow that it would be me last one.
When I found out a few weeks ago the office I was working in was closing. I took it as a sign to keep my promise to myself to start this busness. So far so good :)

Wannagofro
05-25-2008, 02:45 PM
Ive been thinking about starting my own side business with "Holy Tea". Its a tea that works like a natural laxative. Ive used it and it works! My moms supervisor has been pushing me to start selling it like she&#39;s doing. But i have no idea how i would go about selling something such as a laxative tea! it would be great to make some extra money while still in school without breaking my back at the airport. What should I do, start a website? advertise? ...

Also im thinking about getting a notary public license....

Wannagofro
05-25-2008, 05:38 PM
Market it as a detox/cleansing/body purifying/spirit lifter tea. That&#39;s how the others market their teas. I&#39;ve seen words like herbal, all natural, gentle, energizing.... Also with a health product it doesn&#39;t hurt to know as much as you can about the herbs and their benefits. You can post your own story and have others share their stories too. [/b]

i was thinking about marketing it on a small blog but how would i get the word out? me being 20..i dont think anyone my age or a little older has bad bowels and usually anything with the word "cleansing" scares us yungins away. even when my mom introduced me to it when i wasn&#39;t "going" often, i was very hesitant but after drinking it for a week...i have no more problems ladies!

Wannagofro
05-25-2008, 10:30 PM
ok that definitely sounds like a plan! I will get started on that blog. plus my pockets are a lil small right now but im gonna order some of that tea and if you give me ur info, i&#39;ll send you some!

Kalia
06-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Carmen- Hoping all is well with you I wanted to ask you which "Blog" site were you referring to that is free? I have been thinking about establishing a blog to start my motivational/writing business. Now I am just looking into how it can blossom.

KB
06-04-2008, 04:14 PM
i think doing all of the paperwork is the part that intimidates me the most..

Hamira
06-04-2008, 04:34 PM
I&#39;m finally, finally on the last leg of getting started. I&#39;ll probably be up and running in a few weeks. My procedures haven&#39;t been quite as involved as for some of you ladies since I&#39;m selling through an online vendor venue. Right now, I&#39;m in the midst of setting prices. I stopped requesting advice in that area when someone said "$1" :rolleyes: , but I do have to deal with making sure I&#39;m getting enough to cover the cost of materials, plus ensure a decent profit.

Sugawata
06-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Carmen-
I have a silly question....how do you get your pics and youtube vids in your blog post? I have a blogspot blog where I plan to sell stuff from, but I can only get pics on the side by using the "elements" tool. Please help....I like your blog by the way and would be interested in getting some pieces from you.
You can also check out my blog at www.museannex.blogspot.com

KnottyAuthor
06-07-2008, 02:30 PM
TY for this Deep....

[/b]

this is my friends business

http://eztoincorporate.com/incorporate_form1.html

Dovechild20
06-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Nice link, cheleski68, thank you!

Well, Im FINALLY done deciding on my starting marketing plan. So now, im just ready to implement it. Bought to purchase my web hosting and create my website and will prolly create MySpace, Facebook, Blogspot, and WordPress pages as well (gotta get that "word-of-mouth" going lol).

Are ya&#39;ll using magnetic car signs? Im thinking about doing it but im kinda scared about possible liability issues. Originally I was thinking about doing the rea window decal thing, but hubby vetoed that idea, so i been eyeballing the magnetic passenger side signs. What ya&#39;ll think?

Im also, mentally, tryna fight the fear that once i implement my marketing plan, that i could actually have someone call me for help (then in turn, i&#39;ll need help from my mentor, lol)! Eeek!

Sugawata
06-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Sugawata - Aww, thank you very much!

When you create a new post or edit one - Make sure your post tab is in Compose and not HTML. On the tool bar you&#39;ll see Font with a scroll down option. On that same tool bar you will see little icons. If you hold you cursor of the pictures you will say what they are. There&#39;s one with the ABC and a check. To the right of that icon is one that looks like mountains and a sky - that one is ADD IMAGE. Click on that one to add pictures directly to the post. Another screen will pop up prompting you to browse your computer for pictures to upload. Once uploaded, the picture will appear in the post you are writing.

For youtube videos I did the same steps above. I wrote the article first in COMPOSE. Then put the video in using the HTML. I copy/pasted the youtube code into the actual post.

For paypal buttons - start from your main blog page - click on customize near the top right. Click LAYOUT. Click Add a Page Element. Find - HTML/JavaScript
Add third-party functionality or other code to your blog. And click Add to Blog. Give it a title and copy/paste your paypal buttons or whatever buttons into that space.

Hope that helps. And thank you so much for your interest in Tomoka&#39;s Twists. And I will stop by your blog. Good luck to you!
[/b]

Thanks so much Carmen! I need to update my blog with pics of the merchandise that I retail....I got some really cool things and I am getting ready to retail some really nice bath and body products.

I will be in touch!

nappyhaitian
08-07-2008, 10:37 AM
This topic is such a blessing. I am starting an online business soon, later on a "brick". This is God sent. It&#39;s 4 am and I still up researching....I work all night, and get tired during the day, but I this is a process I must go through. I don&#39;t mind because it&#39;s for ME NOT THE MAN......Don&#39;t let this topic die, KEEP IT GOIN...ANY UPDATES?
I have a lot of reading to do on these sites that were post...bookmarking for later....THANK YOU...

Carus
08-22-2008, 10:49 PM
In the words of Jill Scott, " I am NOT afraid."

I was just intimidated. I&#39;m not anymore. I have hired professional help with my business plan, I have started the ball rolling with copywriting and I have put together a group of technical, industry people to help me "birth" this "baby".
I see that I can work through the rough spots. I am encouraged by the progress I&#39;m making and the responses I&#39;m getting in and out of the industry.
I say all this to say, don&#39;t let this thread die ladies. I know that I, for one, really need it.

NapturalAndPowerfulSistah - N.A.P.S.

Fuesha
09-03-2008, 01:55 AM
I have two ideas that I have been going back and fourth about but i have no idea how to go about getting started. I dont have the money to start a business but i know thats just another ex. I guess in a werid way im scared to succeed. I know how to right a business plan. I did one in undergrad. My problem is trying to not talk myself out of trying.

Carus
09-03-2008, 04:17 AM
Fushsia;

JUST DO IT

If you think you&#39;re going to talk yourself out of it, do what you know first. Your business plan. As you write it to pitch it to someone else, begin to pitch it to yourself. Reignite the fire. Just start.
What would you do if someone else did what is in your heart? How would all your second guessing make you feel? Start as if someone else is hot on your tail...they just might be. I know it may feel like I&#39;m trying to scare you. I&#39;m not. I hope that what I said can serve to spur you on.

NapturalAndPowerfulSistah - N.A.P.S.

buttaflybaby
09-04-2008, 01:15 AM
yixe! i been behind! i need to come back and go over this thread. i&#39;ve been gettin alot of offers for my goodies..so i need to get to work!

aquababie19
09-04-2008, 03:16 AM
also yall check the thread i posted about the miller urban entrepreneur contest. grand prize is 50K! my bf won 15K to start his gallery & frame shop. i am gonna bump it up. maybe i can ask a mod to pin it to the top.

honeybunch2k5
09-08-2008, 03:16 AM
Hi, everyone. I still want to start my business, but I want to save up a bit more money.

Is anyone dealing with negativity from either people namely family members??? My mom told me I could not start a business and be a work at home mom which is how I would prefer to do things. How supportive. :rolleyes:

Dovechild20
11-10-2008, 12:03 AM
Bump! Any updates?

tbaby900
11-10-2008, 10:38 PM
Hi, everyone. I still want to start my business, but I want to save up a bit more money.

Is anyone dealing with negativity from either people namely family members??? My mom told me I could not start a business and be a work at home mom which is how I would prefer to do things. How supportive. :rolleyes:
[/b]

No offense but a lot of times people say that YOU cant do things because THEY cant do it! Maybe she is just jealous of your drive. BTW I was wanting to be a WAHM too. That way I will have the best of both worlds: Being with my children and doing a business that I love!

naturalbeliever
11-15-2008, 04:03 PM
No offense but a lot of times people say that YOU cant do things because THEY cant do it! Maybe she is just jealous of your drive. BTW I was wanting to be a WAHM too. That way I will have the best of both worlds: Being with my children and doing a business that I love!
[/b]
I completely agree. You can do anything you set your mind on. I started my own career as a freelance writer and never would have thought I could do it full-time from home and pay my bills. I was really tested wehn my husband&#39;s business went under and I was it as far as income was concerned. There were some rough months here and there, but we&#39;re okay.

It is very common for people who work from home and/or start their own business to get negativity from those around them . It could be jealously, or just than they don&#39;t really understand how you can make money from home. Try not to focus on that. Keep your eyes on the prize instead. :)

topseekrit
11-23-2008, 06:12 PM
Hi everyone,

I&#39;m so happy to see so many people wanting to start their own businesses. As I read all the posts, a lot of you could be doing things to get your business off the ground today but you&#39;re in your ow way:

* If you have a product you want to sell to others (i.e. tea, jewelry, food, etc.) you don&#39;t need a business plan to make the sale. Invite people over, give them a free sample if you can afford to and have a special offer if they buy from you at the very moment. Talk to your neighbors, friends, co-workers and see if they&#39;re interested. If you were able to make sales then that is when you jump start your business plan and see how you can make it work.

* If you provide a service like I do (i.e. event planning, cleaning, marketing, etc.) then offer your services to a small business owner or solo-preneurs who may want or need it for a small fee or pro-bono. If you were able to secure clients then get your business plan in action.

I once made the mistake of getting a website, spending money on PR before I even got someone to buy. Keep It Simple Sisters. Remember the days when you would buy M&Ms in bulk for a discount and sold to anyone who wanted it to make a profit. Look at how our president-elect used simple grassroots methods to get interest and votes going door-to-door, face-to-face. It&#39;s a lot of hard work but writing your business plan will come just a tad bit easier once you see that someone bought your product/service.

Ok that&#39;s a huge mouthful, back to work, I just motivated myself to go get new clients, hope I did the same for you LOL

monappy28
11-25-2008, 12:11 AM
Alright support group, I am trying to grow my business and no better time than the present! It&#39;s christmas time and my Scentsy products are great! For anyone who loves candles, these will make an awesome gift! Check out my website in my siggy and let me know what you think! If you want to buy, please do, I&#39;m telling you, I love this stuff and the customers I have do to and they re-order scents all the time! Yankee candle fan, these are just as good but with out the jar and the wick and the ugly burnt down candle that you can&#39;t light anymore!

What can I do to grow this business! I love it and I know if I could market it well, it would boom! Help me!

honeybunch2k5
12-16-2008, 01:36 PM
[/b]
Thank you I soooo needed that boost!!!

nappi
01-31-2009, 05:04 PM
i am looking to branch out from ebay and have my own website

i sell ladies designer handbags and accessories
i have been working on my website but it coming along slowly

does any one have any tips on how to get clients

(Need some extra cash?) http://www.AWSurveys.com/HomeMain.cfm?RefID=nappi

Syrel
02-03-2009, 06:49 AM
Hello Nappi. I&#39;m not a retail expert, but here are some off-the-cuff ideas.

Perhaps you can convince a few locally owned clothing boutiques to buy handbags from you for resale in their shops.

Or maybe the boutiques will allow you to sell your products on consignment.

Or, perhaps they&#39;ll simply allow you to set up your handbags in little vignettes that show off the handbags as the perfect accessories to the boutique&#39;s garments. Sometimes seeing things together makes people want to buy that combination. If the shop refuses consignment or reselling your bags, include brochures and business cards with the vignette so customers can follow up and learn more about your products.

If your product can enhance and not compete with another business owner&#39;s product, perhaps you can convince them to do cross promotion. (Other entreprenuers who sell clothing, jewelry, shoes, etc.)

For a little publicity, if you have some handbags that attract positive attention, you can get a few trusted relatives and friends to carry them and talk them up among their circles. Give them special business cards to give out to potential buyers. For every bag sold as a result of their peer marketing--verified when the buyer returns the card--your friend gets a credit or a product.

Build a database of satisfied customers and email them a newsletter periodically with photos of new products. I started reading a book called, "Positioning," and it encourages business owners to make the effort to keep customers because keeping them is easier than attracting them to begin with.

Consider special promotions if you can do so cost-effectively. For example, "Buy 3 handbacks and receive a free silk scarf."

Find a way to market to "church ladies" if you have very dressy handbags, and advertise in different ways around gift-giving seasons like Mother&#39;s Day. (My mother loves handbags!)

Hope you find ideas that work for you.
Syrel

chachadiva
02-03-2009, 01:39 PM
i am looking to branch out from ebay and have my own website

i sell ladies designer handbags and accessories
i have been working on my website but it coming along slowly

does any one have any tips on how to get clients

(Need some extra cash?) http://www.AWSurveys.com/HomeMain.cfm?RefID=nappi
[/b]

Nappi, check out the forums on http://www.fashion-incubator.com/. They have a lot of handbag and accessories companies. You can find a lot of info on production, marketing/sales, trade shows, etc.

Kspirals
02-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Hey just wanted to show some support to all the ladies starting their own businesses. I believe that God has placed many projects in our spirits to do. Women are the one&#39;s who give birth and it&#39;s the same spiritually. NO matter what everyone else says you know what you are called to do. So continue to believe for all things. One important thing to do is to count up the costs and stay committed to your goals to see them through-get it on paper and make it plain. When one way is not open, remember there are hundreds more. Be patient and reach- place no limitations on what God is able to do. It is possible!!

This topic is such a blessing. I am starting an online business soon, later on a "brick". This is God sent. It&#39;s 4 am and I still up researching....I work all night, and get tired during the day, but I this is a process I must go through. I don&#39;t mind because it&#39;s for ME NOT THE MAN......Don&#39;t let this topic die, KEEP IT GOIN...ANY UPDATES?
I have a lot of reading to do on these sites that were post...bookmarking for later....THANK YOU...
[/b]

Wow that&#39;s so encouraging- you do what you gotta do which is PUSH to Work it! You go nappy!

deezine
02-21-2009, 01:14 AM
I was wondering about this very topic as well. It seems that the way that society has some people programmed is to get a job and work making other peoples dreams a reality.

Actually now is the best time to start a business. Just think about it, everyone else is scaling down, you could be out there picking up customers who are looking for what it is that the other companies are not providing, because they have "brought into" or are using the "recession" as an excuse.

If you have faith in GOD and you have a true relationship with him, then there is no recession. But you will need to put in the work in order to reap the benefits. And this is where a lot of people get sidetracked. They don&#39;t take any ACTION.

naturalbeliever
02-21-2009, 04:19 PM
I was wondering about this very topic as well. It seems that the way that society has some people programmed is to get a job and work making other peoples dreams a reality.

Actually now is the best time to start a business. Just think about it, everyone else is scaling down, you could be out there picking up customers who are looking for what it is that the other companies are not providing, because they have "brought into" or are using the "recession" as an excuse.

If you have faith in GOD and you have a true relationship with him, then there is no recession. But you will need to put in the work in order to reap the benefits. And this is where a lot of people get sidetracked. They don&#39;t take any ACTION.
[/b]
:clap:

CurlyandHappy
02-23-2009, 06:16 PM
This is a great topic and I am glad there is a support network for women who want to start businesses. I am currently taking business management and can provide assistance to anyone regarding business law, marketing, accounting.... the basics anyway lol I am not professional just yet.

I eventually also want to start a business...still stuck on a business name (they must all be taken).

Good luck everyone!

Smocches
06-11-2009, 04:13 PM
i am sooo happy to have found this forum and it took a coupla days but i read every post. i&#39;m off to a motivated start. i&#39;ve been thinking about starting this business for about the last 6 months and a couple yrs ago i took a start your own business class and have been thinking about taking another. after reading these messages i think i have a lot of work to do this summer then take another class. also i have found a mentor YAY me so I think i should be able to do this. I just need to keep my motivation.

I wish all of you good business and hope you do the same for me I will be avidly reading this forum

Urbanite
06-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Hi everyone,

I&#39;m so happy to see so many people wanting to start their own businesses. As I read all the posts, a lot of you could be doing things to get your business off the ground today but you&#39;re in your ow way:

* If you have a product you want to sell to others (i.e. tea, jewelry, food, etc.) you don&#39;t need a business plan to make the sale. Invite people over, give them a free sample if you can afford to and have a special offer if they buy from you at the very moment. Talk to your neighbors, friends, co-workers and see if they&#39;re interested. If you were able to make sales then that is when you jump start your business plan and see how you can make it work.

* If you provide a service like I do (i.e. event planning, cleaning, marketing, etc.) then offer your services to a small business owner or solo-preneurs who may want or need it for a small fee or pro-bono. If you were able to secure clients then get your business plan in action.

I once made the mistake of getting a website, spending money on PR before I even got someone to buy. Keep It Simple Sisters. Remember the days when you would buy M&Ms in bulk for a discount and sold to anyone who wanted it to make a profit. Look at how our president-elect used simple grassroots methods to get interest and votes going door-to-door, face-to-face. It&#39;s a lot of hard work but writing your business plan will come just a tad bit easier once you see that someone bought your product/service.

Ok that&#39;s a huge mouthful, back to work, I just motivated myself to go get new clients, hope I did the same for you LOL
[/b]

Thank you so much this! I so needed to hear this!

I&#39;ve been bouncing around ideas for a business for awhile now and even though I know the energy is right for it, I still find myself hesitating, thinking that either people will not be interested or that I can&#39;t write a business plan.

My idea is to sell vegan and raw desserts (good, tasty, beautiful desserts!). I always have people asking me to read their astrology charts or asking me about energy work, so I am considering becoming a consultant of some sort, though I am still considering all of the details.

I am so thankful to have read so many supportive posts...thank you for the positive energy! :wub:

Syrel
06-14-2009, 05:38 AM
Chokolatedove, I just noticed this thread, and it&#39;s past 3AM for me; so I haven&#39;t looked to see if someone has already given this advice. There are a number of business books in the "Dummies" series, and I saw one recenlty on starting a home business. I have one on launching a consulitng business, and the books share much of the same content. I&#39;ve found the Dummies books simple, clear and practical.

Also, check out SCORE, the Service Corps of Retired Executives. They connect you with business counselors who answer questions for you, and their service is free. They&#39;re online.

Happy learning!
Syrel

Dovechild20
06-15-2009, 02:03 AM
Hey there, Im still here as well. Ive implemented my marketing plan (been draggin my feet for the past 2 years, but hubby&#39;s lay off earlier this year kicked me in my butt) and now my journey has begun.

Im nervous as all get out but optimistic that things will work out and the biz will be a success.

Fuesha
11-19-2009, 03:23 PM
I had to bump this. I think it would make a great sticky. Its filled with great information!

Rings
12-05-2009, 06:06 AM
Been trying to write a business plan for at least 2 years now. Never seem to get into it too far, because I really dont' know that much about writing it. But, I know it's essential to have. Especially the forecasting part. Really do want to start my own business, tired of making other people rich. Any suggestions, about my "business plan writing" fears, please feel free to offer your constructive advice.

Thanks,

Rings.

chachadiva
12-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Been trying to write a business plan for at least 2 years now. Never seem to get into it too far, because I really dont' know that much about writing it. But, I know it's essential to have. Especially the forecasting part. Really do want to start my own business, tired of making other people rich. Any suggestions, about my "business plan writing" fears, please feel free to offer your constructive advice.

Thanks,

Rings.
Ring,

Try getting a SCORE counselor. They can walk you through the process. www.score.org