PDA

View Full Version : Here Is My Story. Tell Me Where I Went Wrong.

lovelyleo
04-26-2006, 01:46 AM
Okay its been awhile since I posted. Mainly because I straighten my hair via flat flaming hot tool of hair torture (I have never had a p.erm) more in the winter and since spring is here and its getting hot I try not to fight with my hair about keeping it straight. Well here is my story....when I first started to become napptural last summer/spring I was happy. I thought I would have my afro in no time. I even clipped off more than 2 inches of hair during summer 05. Before I became napptural I had hair down to my shoulder blades, but before the summer was out my hair was brushing my shoulders (maybe a little longer). I went out and brought all the "amazing" products that would help me in my long transition. I never could do the two strand twists and wear them out because my hair was too thin from all the flat ironing and pressing. I usually wore a twist out or braid out or just a ponytail with some gel and other stuff in it to make my hair slick back. I don't know if it was the hard water or a product or an essential oil but my hair broke off horribly. It would not have taken me by surprise if I had a perm but I had never had a perm and I could not believe the shedding that was going on (my hair sheds a lot naturally, but this was ridiculous). Finally I went to my sis's beautician in July/Aug 05 and she took a look at my hair. She told me it was damaged from going natuaral and that I had to either start doing my hair (meant combing and brushing and taking care of it). This shocked me because I thought I was taking care of my hair, but obviously with all the shedding going on I wasn't. By the end of the appointment she just ended up clipping a little of my ends off because she didn't want to cut my hair because it was so badly damaged. So I went back to straightening my hair and what not. So I started to straighten my hair but not as much as before. Then in Oct. 2005 I went home to visit my mom and went to her beautician. She cut off all of my damaged ends, I told her too just to get it over with. In the end I lost more in the back than in the front. The back was cut really short, it didn't even cover my neck. Thankfully my hair at the top could cover up the stuff in the back. The beautician also gave me a shampoo, mosturizer, and deep conditioner by Aphogee. I used that for the most part all through October and up til now. I went back to straightening my hair after seeing her, because I didn't know if going natuaral had caused the breakage and drying of my hair. I went back to my mom's beautician in December 2005 and she noticed that my hair was a lot fuller at the roots and it was doing much better. This time she gave me a roller set to give my hair a break from the flat flaming hot tool of hair torture and flaming hot tool of hair torture. And I really liked it too because it was the closest thing to a natural hairstyle I had ever had done professionaly. I straightened my hair from Dec 05 to about Feb 06. I then tried to do my own rollerset, which turned out nice but wouldn't stay for more than 1 day. I also waited until Feb 06 to do the roller set because the hair in the back had grown back enough so that I could roller set it. My problem with the roller set was that after I slept on it the curls didn't fall a little at a time but completely fell all at once. So I have been doing roller sets twice maybe three times a week and the other days just wearing a scarf and ponytail (which is terrible). My hair is gradually growing back, but I wish there was a way for it to grow faster. The hair in the back is just now reaching my neck but it has not reached its original length back in Aug 05. The roller sets are working for now, but how do I make them last longer? I tried sleeping in rollers but that is so uncomfortable, I'd rather just keep it straight and wrap it. My hair is healthier and there is a curly texture to it but I have still not reached my original napptural goal of my afro :(. I also wonder what I did wrong last summer so I won't repeat it this summer? It just dawned on me had I completely stayed napptural I would be coming up on my 1 year anniverseray.

jameca
04-26-2006, 02:09 AM
Lovelyleo, I'm a relatively new nappturality member and I can tell you what you did wrong. You say you want an afro, but all you started out wearing was straight hairstyles. 1. Either you are not comfortable with your naps or 2. you (like me) are not good at styling your natural hair. If it's #1 then you have to transition your mind first and try to find out why you feel the need to have your hair straightened. If 2 then you need to keep practicing. You got pretty good with roller sets after only 1 time of having someone else do them for you! I bet if you tried other styles on your nappy hair you would look great. You will never learn how to deal with your hair texture if you never dealwith your hair texture!
I find it funny that the beautician told you you damaged your hair from going natural! That doesn't even sound logical. How can you damage your hair by not doing something that is damaging to your hair? Of course natural is the best state for your hair. Did she mention that the continuous straightening could have had an effect? Maybe she just wants you to keep going to her after you go back to a perm and that was her motivation for telling you that bald faced lie.
I think you have to get out of the mentality that straight hair=better, and once you stop trying to make your hair do something it doesn't want to do, you'll be amazed by the growth! (Just don't get so hung up on length!)

Dolliesdaughter
04-26-2006, 05:56 AM
Why can't you just stop hot combing your hair?

sweetnikki_6
04-26-2006, 06:28 AM
Your hair is not breaking because you went natural. The lady that told you that is apparently smoking something. YOur hair is tramatized from all the heat your putting on it. The intensity of the heat to press and curl it is ridiculous and doing this on a regular basis will lead to damage, thin breaking hair. I would suggest leaving the heat alone and working with the natural texture instead of against it.

KnottyAuthor
04-26-2006, 06:42 AM
flaming hot tool of hair torture+nATURAL HAIR=DISASTER

Especially if you have tightly coiled ,spongy,cottony hair

If I blow dry, or curling iron-it's death to my hair shaft. The hair is so very fragile. And once that cuticle is damaged, the hairs start splitting. I havent put heat in since my early days of nap(end of 04) and I am STILL reaping the "rewards" of heat damage as those hair grow out .

Many have done a 2nd BC because of this mistake. Check out the heat archives under this forum topic. You arent alone-but it would be better if you started over. Good luck-and sisters stop being so MEAN!!! Enlighten, keep it positive and lift her up!

Trula
04-26-2006, 06:46 AM
you damaged your hair by hot combing it, not by going natural. that is where you went wrong. Please look at all the pinned threads on heat damage.

hello kitty
04-26-2006, 07:37 AM
Many have done a 2nd BC because of this mistake. Check out the heat archives under this forum topic. You arent alone-but it would be better if you started over. Good luck-and sisters stop being so MEAN!!! Enlighten, keep it positive and lift her up!
[/b]

not being mean....but if she has been a member for over a year...w/more than 250 posts under her belt...there really shouldn't be a need to ask these questions....
i cannot even believe what i'm reading....the reasons are so obvious!

Okay its been awhile since I posted. Mainly because I straighten my hair via flat flaming hot tool of hair torture.....
.....my hair was too thin from all the flat ironing and pressing. ......

.......but my hair broke off horribly.......

....... It would not have taken me by surprise if I had a perm but I had never had a perm and I could not believe the shedding that was going on......

... I thought I was taking care of my hair, but obviously with all the shedding going on I wasn't.

..... So I started to straighten my hair but not as much as before.......

.......i went back to straightening my hair after seeing her......

......I'd rather just keep it straight and wrap it.......

I also wonder what I did wrong last summer so I won't repeat it this summer?
[/b]

HELLO!!!!! :icon_headshake:
looks like a sister has to transition her mind (and read the pinned topics!)

http://i2.tinypic.com/r23vqb.jpg

newmoe1
04-26-2006, 07:42 AM
are you nuts and is the lady who said that mess to yo nuts also?
you said you went natural so why are you flat ironing your hair ?
i cant go on with out losing my mine on you so i'll stop but i will say if you are natural then wear you hair and stop wearing out you hair by burning it up all the time

oshea

*my head hurts*

xayide79
04-26-2006, 07:53 AM
Your hair broke because you were transitioning, you were putting a lot of tension on the place where your relaxed hair meets your natural hair by wearing ponytails, and you probably used too many products.

If you really want to cut to the chase and see a lot of fantastic growth, go ahead and do the big chop and start from there.

Serbbral
04-26-2006, 08:04 AM
Your hair broke because you were transitioning, you were putting a lot of tension on the place where your relaxed hair meets your natural hair by wearing ponytails, and you probably used too many products.

If you really want to cut to the chase and see a lot of fantastic growth, go ahead and do the big chop and start from there.
[/b]

She stated that she NEVER had a perm.

lovelyleo
04-26-2006, 08:12 AM
I did transition my mind first, but I had been natural from Jan. 16 and did not go to the hairdresser until that
July/Aug 05 because my hair was looking so frazzled and damaged. I didn't get the damage from straightening because my hair was healthy (to some extent) before I started to do my two-strand twists or other natuaral hair dos. I only went back to straightening because of the fact that my hair was falling out and looking damaged. I was just wondering what I did wrong during the time bewteeen Jan 05 and July 05 that could cause my hair to break severly. I only straightened after the fact that nothing natural was helping my hair out and it was thinning my hair out. I know its supposed to go in the opposite direction. I NEVER had a perm so it couldn't be the perm breaking off...okay hope that clarafies things

Scribetastic
04-26-2006, 08:25 AM
You're not napptural, you're someone without a chemical fire cream who straightens her hair in other ways. I've been perm free for years, and wore my hair in microbraids for years, but I didn't go napptural until last summer.

You have to become comfortable with your natural hair and learn how to style and work with it. You don't need to iron out your hair and going to a hairdresser that isn't familiar with natural hair will get you into trouble. I don't understand why the first hairdresser didn't just chop off all the damage you'd caused. It seems like she was more concerned with keeping your length even if the hair was damaged. Chemical or not, over-processing will damage and dry out your hair. My hair is real fine and if I put heat on it, I'm just asking for trouble.

Shop around the board and figure out what works for you. As others have said, transition in your mind as I still don't see why in the harsh season of winter you'd ever make it worse by putting heat on your hair. In the winter, I kept my hair in two strand twists and maybe wore my hair out in a fro once or twice.

There are other websites too like Motown Girl's site (http://motowngirl.com/index.php) where she gives not only different styles, but step-by-step ways to do them. I also like OurHair.net (http://www.ourhair.net/) as it gives some techniques too.

However, again, this is more about you making the mental transistion but maybe learning how to style your hair will help. I know that made a big difference for helping me move past wearing damaging microbraids all the time.

jones_1755
04-26-2006, 09:31 AM
I'm a bit confused on the state of your hair at the moment. Are you still straightening it? If you are, technically you're not napptural. I have to agree with you needing to make a mental transition. I have yet to have an urge to straighten my hair since becoming napptural. Not to say you or others won't, but most have not acted on them. If you get frustrated, ust say a prayer. When you are weak, the Lord is always strong.

All of that heat has definitely damaged your hair. Keep doing the rollersets and continuosly moisturize your hair. If you use perm rods or flexi rods (the skinny ones like the size of your pinkie finger or a bit smaller... i have skinny fingers) to do your rollersets, you'll get tighter curls that will last longer. While I was transitioning, I only had to do a rollerset once a week. As your hair begins to fall, you can make a puff or bun. The key is to keep you hands out of that head as much as possible.

Stay strong.

lovelyleo
04-26-2006, 09:47 AM
I'm a bit confused on the state of your hair at the moment. Are you still straightening it? If you are, technically you're not napptural. I have to agree with you needing to make a mental transition. I have yet to have an urge to straighten my hair since becoming napptural. Not to say you or others won't, but most have not acted on them. If you get frustrated, ust say a prayer. When you are weak, the Lord is always strong.

All of that heat has definitely damaged your hair. Keep doing the rollersets and continuosly moisturize your hair. If you use perm rods or flexi rods (the skinny ones like the size of your pinkie finger or a bit smaller... i have skinny fingers) to do your rollersets, you'll get tighter curls that will last longer. While I was transitioning, I only had to do a rollerset once a week. As your hair begins to fall, you can make a puff or bun. The key is to keep you hands out of that head as much as possible.

Stay strong.
[/b]

Your post is about the most sensible I've read. Its not so much the fact that I enjoy straightening my hair, its just that last summer when I did go natural my hair ended up more damaged than it was before I started the whole natural journey, so I had to go back to straightening or I would have been bald headed by now. I have not straightened my hair in about two months, just because I use the roller sets when I have an important event and other than that its up in a ponytail/scraf combo. I think people are confused on why I went back to straightening. Its not that I wanted to its that I had to because going natural was literally taking my hair out. People read straightening and just jump to the conclusion that my mind was not ready, no my hair was falling out and my mind had nothing to do with it.

LBellatrix
04-26-2006, 10:06 AM
From your post, I gather that you have always been natural, but you have straightened it via p.ressing. You are now trying to wear your hair nappy (unstraightened).

Your simply being unstraightened natural can't have caused the damage you're describing. It had to be your being unstraightened natural IN COMBINATION WITH your hair care products/techniques that was doing the damage.

My hunch is that you tried to care for your nappy hair as though it were straight, and it didn't work. You went back to straightening because you only know how to care for straight hair. So now you perceive that your hair is doing better because it's back to a texture with which you are familiar.

I tend to agree with the others: It sounds like you do still have some residual issues with wearing your unstraightened natural hair. That's OKAY...getting to napptural takes time. :)

My immediate hair care advice to you is to LEAVE YOUR HAIR ALONE as much as possible.

Good luck...

xayide79
04-26-2006, 10:08 AM
She stated that she NEVER had a perm.
[/b]

Excuse me, the place where her previously straightened hair met the natural hair.

bettytoo
04-26-2006, 10:19 AM
girl give up on straightering your hair. Or at least only do it every few month's or so. I know being natural hard .When your use to straight hair. I was natural for nine year's and fell of the wagon.but i'm back .you have to decided do you want straight hair .Or health hair.good luck

setarcos
04-26-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm confused. How come you've "been natural since Jan 16, 05" yet you've NEVER gotten a p.erm? That's only possible if you were born on Jan 16, 2005.

I can only assume that you mean that since that date you've not had a p.erm. Therefore, you are/were transitioning, that is, you are/were dealing with a mixture of natural hair and relaxed hair. If that is so, I should point out the following:

* During transitioning, it is normal for the straight ends of the hair to break off, and break off A LOT. There is going to be a weak point where your textured natural hair meets your straight relaxed hair. To avoid this, some people just chop all the relaxed hair off. Others wear braid extensions, twists, braid outs, rod sets, etc, to disguise the two textures, minimize the handling of their hair, and minimize the breakage. But some breakage is inevitable.

* Hair cannot be damaged from going natural. (God help us!!!) Natural is the way it grows out of your head, remember? Hair can only be damaged if you mistreat it, i.e. by putting chemicals on it, or by not properly cleansing and moisturizing it. (When your hair breaks during the transition, it's not because going natural damaged it (!!!!!) but because the damaged re.laxed hair is falling off).

* Hair will be damaged by straightening it using heat. It doesn't matter how "healthy" the hair was before.

* Everything we do has something to do with our mind. Unless you're in the habit of doing things without thinking.

Advice: Chop the damaged hair off, stop using heat.

LBellatrix
04-26-2006, 10:24 AM
^^That's it right there.

Technically, even though you've always been natural, you are transitioning. The straightened hair is breaking off where it meets the unstraightened hair.

Chop off the straightened hair, and don't straighten any more.

mrsloh
04-26-2006, 10:35 AM
Why can't you just stop hot combing your hair?
[/b]

simply put...and listen to your hair...give it what it loves.

@ setarcos...I think the OP has straightened her hair all her life. That would make it possible that she has never had a perm.

SaPhia
04-26-2006, 11:06 AM
She told me it was damaged from going natuaral and that I had to either start doing my hair (meant combing and brushing and taking care of it). [/b]
Read: I need you to come back next month so I can pay my car note!

That must have been the same hairdresser who told me that bald spot in the middle of my head would go away if I keep relaxing!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_1.gif

Please follow the advice above. Stop the heat and learn to care for your kinky, coily, nappy hair.

Soul Rebel
04-26-2006, 11:20 AM
Your post is about the most sensible I've read. Its not so much the fact that I enjoy straightening my hair, its just that last summer when I did go natural my hair ended up more damaged than it was before I started the whole natural journey, so I had to go back to straightening or I would have been bald headed by now. I have not straightened my hair in about two months, just because I use the roller sets when I have an important event and other than that its up in a ponytail/scraf combo. I think people are confused on why I went back to straightening. Its not that I wanted to its that I had to because going natural was literally taking my hair out. People read straightening and just jump to the conclusion that my mind was not ready, no my hair was falling out and my mind had nothing to do with it.[/b]

Agree with rkwalton, labellatrix, et al. It is the bolded statements that make me think the mental transition is not yet complete.

Question for you to ponder: Did it occur to you that the falling out of your hair may have coincided with your going natural (i.e. - just happened to start at about the same time). If going natural caused baldness, there wouldn't be a board about Nappy hair. I mean it just isn't logical to say that growing your natural hair caused it to fall out, particularly when you were engaged in a bunch of hair processes that are known to be damaging. If growing one's hair naturally caused it to fall out most of the world's population would be bald because most people's in the world don't process their hair. On the real, if going natural really made your hair come out, I'd say it's time to hit the dermatologist and see what's going on with your scalp, seriously.

So I'm not saying this to be snarky in any way. I know the transition to being Napptural is very hard for a lot of folks. I just want to encourage you to take a step back and look at this from a rational standpoint of what may be happening. A lot of folks are answering in ways that you don't seem to want to hear, but I'll add my two cents anyway; I'm part of the leave your hair alone crowd. No heat, no roller sets, no this, no that. My hair is quite fine naturally, and it can't take a lot of manipulation and styling. It grows like a weed the more I keep it in good condition and leave it alone. So I'd vote for washing and conditioning it, putting it in a protective style with little or NO product, and leaving it alone. You'd probably be amazed at the results.

nappy chic
04-26-2006, 11:26 AM
Hey sis, I sympathize with your hair woes, because I think we can ALL relate when our hair is not cooperating with our expectations. I can only guess but maybe the products you are/were using was causing some of the problem with shedding and that straightening the hair only made the problem worse. Maybe the stress of pulling your hair back into ponytails and using the gel also contributed to the problem. I think that you should see a professional who specializes in natural haircare and consult with them before you do anything else with your hair. At this point, it sounds as if there is no alternative but to cut it; your hair will be healthy and thank you for it.

curly8
04-26-2006, 11:43 AM
Okay its been awhile since I posted. Mainly because I straighten my hair via flat flaming hot tool of hair torture (I have never had a p.erm) more in the winter and since spring is here and its getting hot I try not to fight with my hair about keeping it straight. Well here is my story....when I first started to become napptural last summer/spring I was happy. I thought I would have my afro in no time. I even clipped off more than 2 inches of hair during summer 05. Before I became napptural I had hair down to my shoulder blades, but before the summer was out my hair was brushing my shoulders (maybe a little longer). I went out and brought all the "amazing" products that would help me in my long transition. I never could do the two strand twists and wear them out because my hair was too thin from all the flat ironing and pressing. I usually wore a twist out or braid out or just a ponytail with some gel and other stuff in it to make my hair slick back. I don't know if it was the hard water or a product or an essential oil but my hair broke off horribly. It would not have taken me by surprise if I had a perm but I had never had a perm and I could not believe the shedding that was going on (my hair sheds a lot naturally, but this was ridiculous). Finally I went to my sis's beautician in July/Aug 05 and she took a look at my hair. She told me it was damaged from going natuaral and that I had to either start doing my hair (meant combing and brushing and taking care of it). This shocked me because I thought I was taking care of my hair, but obviously with all the shedding going on I wasn't. By the end of the appointment she just ended up clipping a little of my ends off because she didn't want to cut my hair because it was so badly damaged. So I went back to straightening my hair and what not. So I started to straighten my hair but not as much as before. Then in Oct. 2005 I went home to visit my mom and went to her beautician. She cut off all of my damaged ends, I told her too just to get it over with. In the end I lost more in the back than in the front. The back was cut really short, it didn't even cover my neck. Thankfully my hair at the top could cover up the stuff in the back. The beautician also gave me a shampoo, mosturizer, and deep conditioner by Aphogee. I used that for the most part all through October and up til now. I went back to straightening my hair after seeing her, because I didn't know if going natuaral had caused the breakage and drying of my hair. I went back to my mom's beautician in December 2005 and she noticed that my hair was a lot fuller at the roots and it was doing much better. This time she gave me a roller set to give my hair a break from the flat flaming hot tool of hair torture and flaming hot tool of hair torture. And I really liked it too because it was the closest thing to a natural hairstyle I had ever had done professionaly. I straightened my hair from Dec 05 to about Feb 06. I then tried to do my own rollerset, which turned out nice but wouldn't stay for more than 1 day. I also waited until Feb 06 to do the roller set because the hair in the back had grown back enough so that I could roller set it. My problem with the roller set was that after I slept on it the curls didn't fall a little at a time but completely fell all at once. So I have been doing roller sets twice maybe three times a week and the other days just wearing a scarf and ponytail (which is terrible). My hair is gradually growing back, but I wish there was a way for it to grow faster. The hair in the back is just now reaching my neck but it has not reached its original length back in Aug 05. The roller sets are working for now, but how do I make them last longer? I tried sleeping in rollers but that is so uncomfortable, I'd rather just keep it straight and wrap it. My hair is healthier and there is a curly texture to it but I have still not reached my original napptural goal of my afro :(. I also wonder what I did wrong last summer so I won't repeat it this summer? It just dawned on me had I completely stayed napptural I would be coming up on my 1 year anniverseray.
[/b]

Lovely Leo,
I've been natural for four years now. I transitioned using synthetic braids and twists, until I had about 4 inches of hair. I liked this way the best because I didn't have to worry about styling for months at a time, and it the braids and twists kept both my hair textures protected from excess breakage. Why don't you try this? Also after my afro grew out, I made sure to moisturize, moisturize, moisturize...on a daily basis with a light hair cream (not oil). Maybe this would work for you as well. Good luck on your journey.

-Curly8

jones_1755
04-26-2006, 11:45 AM
Your post is about the most sensible I've read. Its not so much the fact that I enjoy straightening my hair, its just that last summer when I did go natural my hair ended up more damaged than it was before I started the whole natural journey, so I had to go back to straightening or I would have been bald headed by now. I have not straightened my hair in about two months, just because I use the roller sets when I have an important event and other than that its up in a ponytail/scraf combo. I think people are confused on why I went back to straightening. Its not that I wanted to its that I had to because going natural was literally taking my hair out. People read straightening and just jump to the conclusion that my mind was not ready, no my hair was falling out and my mind had nothing to do with it.
[/b]

I see where you're coming from. But again I have to say that going natural doesn't cause damage to your hair. The damaged parts of your hair (straightened parts) are the parts that will be breaking and causing you trouble. That's why I said moisturize often (deep condition, hot oil treatments, conditioners, leave-in conditioner creams or sprays), especially where the straightened part of you hair shaft meets the nappy part. This will help lessen the breakage. Nappy hair is fragile period and is exceptional fragile at this inbetween state, so you must treat it with the utmost care (the less you manipulate the better). Don't forget to where a satin scarf or bonnet at night, or you can sleep on a satin pillow/pillowcase. Even though many ladies are transitioning from relaxers, they may be experiencing or have experienced this problem. I'd look at transitioner's albums and the transitioner's forum for tips and advice. Nappy=healthy. When its straightened the chemical bonds are broken/rearranged, thus the breaking and dryness.

Sometimes you have to take peoples comments like a grain of salt.

curvycurly78
04-26-2006, 01:42 PM
[/b]

sooooo...straightening you hair stopped it from falling out? And, without straightening, you would've been completely bald by now?

I don't get it. I'm confused. Can you clarify what you mean?

I'm not trying to be funny, I just really don't understand what you mean. :unsure:

Scribetastic
04-26-2006, 02:02 PM
[/b]

One more reply and I'm out of this. You post a long message which seems to come down to “I went natural, but my hair was damaged due to going natural, so I started straightening it to stop my hair from falling out.”

So regardless of the other details, that's what everyone is hearing, but that doesn't make any sense. Also, it seems that you're using terms "bald headed" and a technique, straightening, that slap of your mind still very much being in the "straight is better" point of view. So, yes, people thought (and I still think) a lot of this is more about your attitude towards nappy hair. If preserving your length "forces" you to straighten your hair, then stop fighting your hair, chop it off and just grow it back out. Instead, you go to stylists who aren't specialists in natural hair and they tell you that straightening your hair is the way to keep it from falling out. If you refuse to cut it, and I'm not saying you should if length is that important to you, then, yes, you're going to deal with, at least, two textures of hair: damaged natural and undamaged natural.

People felt your frustration and tried to come in a help you out by stating that straightening damages your hair it doesn't make it better. By straightening it you're damaging the hair closest to your scalp and keeping up the cycle. Just like "scab hair" for those who've chemically straightened their hair, if you've got hair you've used heat on regularly and you stop then that hair is damaged and will break off. So the question is how to stop that breakage? For the most part, everyone's reply, some more productive or more nuturing than others, has been stop the heat and/or readjust your attitude.

Furthermore, it's a roundabout slap in the face to anyone who took the time to answer you without personal insult to say only one reply is "sensible".

On that note, I'm going to do the "sensible" thing and ignore the rest of this thread before I loose my temper. However, keep in mind that if you’re going to ask a question that you don’t always get the answer you want to hear.

Best of luck turning your hair around.

Sassydiva
04-26-2006, 02:10 PM
Get rid of the Heat its killing your hair. Cut it off and start over.

SolSistah
04-26-2006, 03:01 PM
I agree with all the advice you've been given so far. Especially about chopping your damaged hair off. It seems you're frustrated with the length of your hair as well. Keep in mind that when your hair is nappy, it won't appear as long as it truly is when stretched. This doesn't mean its not growing or that it's growing slow. Just be patient. Before you know it your hair will be bigger (not long) than you imagined it could be.Febuary until now is not very long at all. Please, if you truly love your hair, have patience, say a prayer and go in your bathroom and destroy your blowdryer, curling iron, and flat flaming hot tool of hair torture. :wub:

lovelyleo
04-26-2006, 03:29 PM
Some people are obviously confused on what happend. 1. I went napptural for 6 months Jan 05 til Aug 05. 2. During this time period my hair did break off. No I was not using heat on my hair. I no-pooed, did ACV rinses, started to use homeade products (using honey, olive oil, rosemary),twists, twist-outs, puffs etc etc. I don't know what caused it but no it was not heat because I did not use heat. Everybody hair is different, so to say that this couldn't happen is absurd cause it happened in my case 3. Only after 6 months did I go back to heat processing because that was the only way to get my hair's balance back, because what I was doing in those 6 months was not working for me. ....so I asked "what did I do wrong during those 6 months?" I obviously know that heat is bad for my hair, or else I would not be here posting. I did not ask "What do I do with the damaged ends?" or "Could the heat have caused breakage?" because I already know what to do with the damaged ends and I know that heat can cause breakage but was not the factor in this case because I wasn't using heat, so excuse me if the only "sensible" answers are the ones that answer my original post. 4. I only went back to putting heat on my hair as a last resort. If I knew of a natural hair salon in the middle of southern Indiana I would have been went and had my hair hooked up but sorry I don't live in a huge metropolitian area.
And to answer the question NO I am not straightening my hair and have not since March, NO I don't have a p.erm never had one all my life so I'm sure it wasn't from the breaking off of p.erm....smdh some people don't read they just see the word straighten or f.lat iron and just assume thats what caused the damaged

P.S. I know its not the natural part that caused the breakage I was wondering was it something that I was doing to it a product or something...I don't know

singingnappyhead
04-26-2006, 04:05 PM
Okay, I think I understand the basics here:

1. You've never had a perm, but have heat-straightened your hair all your life.
2. You decided to stop heat-straightening, and had lots of breakage.
3. The hairdresser said that "going napptural" was the cause, and recommended you start using heat again.
4. You're wondering what you could have been doing in the 6-month period you stopped straightening that caused the breakage.

If the above statements are true, I have something to add that may help you:

I have had a blow-out since my last bc, and let my hair stay straight for 2 weeks or so. It took 3 washes for my hair to act like it did before the heat was applied. I even had a spot in the front that stayed straight for 2 months-literally! It was like someone had put a perm on that one strand. So, if my hair could react like that to one major heat session, and you have been using heat on a regular basis all your life, I would think that even though you didn't use a perm on your hair, you did alter the basic structure. I remember the really good thread where a poster talked about how heat changes molecular structure (in all things, not just hair), and compared it to melted butter. You can put it back in the fridge, but will it be the same? Nope. So, even though it seems like the perm analogies are off-base, actually your hair is responding as if it were permed. So, the stuff about different textures and breakage, etc, does apply in your case. The verdict? Stop using heat, cut off the straight parts, and free your mind if the goal is nappturality. If not-good luck with the pressing. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like you'll be able to have both.

Good luck!

jones_1755
04-26-2006, 05:43 PM
Okay, I think I understand the basics here:

1. You've never had a perm, but have heat-straightened your hair all your life.
2. You decided to stop heat-straightening, and had lots of breakage.
3. The hairdresser said that "going napptural" was the cause, and recommended you start using heat again.
4. You're wondering what you could have been doing in the 6-month period you stopped straightening that caused the breakage.

If the above statements are true, I have something to add that may help you:

I have had a blow-out since my last bc, and let my hair stay straight for 2 weeks or so. It took 3 washes for my hair to act like it did before the heat was applied. I even had a spot in the front that stayed straight for 2 months-literally! It was like someone had put a perm on that one strand. So, if my hair could react like that to one major heat session, and you have been using heat on a regular basis all your life, I would think that even though you didn't use a perm on your hair, you did alter the basic structure. I remember the really good thread where a poster talked about how heat changes molecular structure (in all things, not just hair), and compared it to melted butter. You can put it back in the fridge, but will it be the same? Nope. So, even though it seems like the perm analogies are off-base, actually your hair is responding as if it were permed. So, the stuff about different textures and breakage, etc, does apply in your case. The verdict? Stop using heat, cut off the straight parts, and free your mind if the goal is nappturality. If not-good luck with the pressing. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like you'll be able to have both.

Good luck!
[/b]

I second that. My hair hasn't been burnt since I was like 5 or something, so I really couldn't identify with you. Assuming when you decided to go natural you did not chop off the straight parts but just washed and let it do its thing, it was most likely due the constant pressing. It seems like you have the pressing comb version of "scab hair". It is more fragile and dry, thus it is susceptible to breakage. This just means you have to be prepared to weather the challenges of mainaining now nappy once straightened hair, or like others have said, chop it off.

You can always try doing a protective style like box braids or twists. Then when your hair reaches the length you'd like, chop it off. This way you won't be manipulating those fragile ends alot. You most likely didn't do much to damage your napps outside the previous straightening.

LuaBonita
04-26-2006, 07:26 PM
[/b]
hey!

hang in there, lovelyleo and thanks for coming back here for advice. of course you know that you should stop pre.ssing your hair so im not going to repeat that. i have a feeling (and is the only thing that may make sense to me) is that your hair was probably REALLY REALLY REALLY dry and broke off from a lack of moisturizer. thats the only thing i can think of if you experienced the breakage before pre.ssing. the excessive pre.ssing probably made the situation MUCH worse and just destroyed your hair

i dont know what type of styles you had during the time shortly before you started pre.ssing, but those could also lend to the dryness. having braids in TOO TOO long or wearing weaves too long without adding moisture to your hair or without clarifying your scalp is BOUND to dry out and damage your hair

also, that lady who told you that your nappy hair was at fault is on crack! but im sure you could sense that by now. haha!!

any way, my advice to you would be to get advice on how to moisturize your hair. also watch out with rolling your hair too often. depending on how you roll your hair (ie how tight you make them), your hair can snag and be litterally pulled out of your scalp. be carefull! also constant manipulation (ie brushing it back into pony tails and applying heavy gels) isnt always good for your hair either...

i hope you dont run off due to some of the comments. you must understand that its just weird that you have 250+ posts yet resorted to heat instead of asking us or asking professionals that actually work with nappy hair. but now, you know :)

and also if you have heat straightened your hair all your life and decided to transition, that could have been a blow to your hair. it is already weakened and then to pile on a lack of moisture is BAD bad BaD

to the some of the nappys who have replied: some people must fall in order to learn. give her the benefit of the doubt. if you chase everyone from this board who slip up from time to time, there will be NO WAY to help with the transition of the mind and heart. be nice, please

SaPhia
04-26-2006, 07:51 PM
1. I went napptural for 6 months Jan 05 til Aug 05. 2. During this time period my hair did break off. No I was not using heat on my hair. I no-pooed, did ACV rinses, started to use homeade products (using honey, olive oil, rosemary),twists, twist-outs, puffs etc etc. [/b]
Just wondering, did u try to comb/brush your hair the same way as when it was straightened? How often did u wash and detangle? How often did u style? These are also contributing factors to hair breakage.