PDA

View Full Version : Update On My Daughter's Mohawk

Trula
04-26-2006, 07:31 AM
Some of ya'll may remember that last spring my daughter asked me to untangle her locks (http://www.mspmedia.net/trula/dreadlocks.html#sec9). I did, and she wore her naps out proudly. By summer she asked me if she could get a mohawk. I said sure. She still has the mohawk, but it has suffered. Instead of being even longer and thicker than it was by now, it has broken off in clumps and is straggly. Why? because she has colored it and puts lots of hair gel on it but also often blow dries it or f.l.a.t-i.r.o.n presses it completely straight. She has been natural all of her life and has a wonderful image of herself as a nappy-headed black person, so I let her, I figured there was no harm in letting her experiment around with her hair.

Well! seeing the damage has told her more than I ever could about what heat does to your hair. Here is how her mohawk looked before, notice how lush and thick it is:

http://www.mspmedia.net/trula/natural/iyende/frohawk5.jpg

http://www.mspmedia.net/trula/natural/iyende/spikehawk4.jpg

How it looks now, after extensive heat and coloring damage:

http://i2.tinypic.com/sx1z04.jpg

You see how broken off it is? and no she has not cut the mohawk hair at all!! she has only kept the sides short. Parts of it will never curl up again, the naps are fried and withered. She says she's going to dye it one more time (blue and/or purple) and then cut it off and wear a TWA this summer. :) She told me Mom, it keeps breaking off! I can see why some of my friends think their hair doesn't grow.

Lady-N-Black
04-26-2006, 07:34 AM
Wow, I see what you mean...but it is still really cool!

Trula
04-26-2006, 07:52 AM
Wow, I see what you mean...but it is still really cool!
[/b]

Yeah, I love the color! She's so cute and confident, my daughter could wear her hair any way and it look cool. I was just floored at how much of her hair had broken off because of heat damage. I wanted to share it with ya'll 'cause plenty fo folks still don't get/see what heat damage does to natural hair.

LBellatrix
04-26-2006, 07:55 AM
Dannng...but hey...at least she knows how it happened AND she's not scared to start over with a TWA.

Trula, I've told you this before, but I'll just say it again: You get my vote for Coolest Mama! I don't know ANY parent who'd let their daughter be that free with her hair AND not b**** about it to some extent.

Trula
04-26-2006, 08:12 AM
LBellatrix, thank you! I figure hey it's just hair. and she's been natural all her life, she has had hair to the middle of her back both locked and unlocked several times in her life. So she has no fear her hair won't grow back or anything. and when else in her life will she be able to experiment around like this...when she's grown she may choose a job or career where she can't walk around with pink and green hair and stuff, so I feel why not let her do it now when that's not an issue. :)

Jazitones
04-26-2006, 08:33 AM
I love it, but like lbellatrix said she could start over again with a TWA.

Yeah you are a cool mom! :)

ashptash
04-26-2006, 08:39 AM
I agree, it is unfortunate that her napps are suffering now, but it's a nice cycle, eh? Go crazy with your hair and then cut it off to start fresh. She's braver than I am.

And you are easily the coolest mom ever. I don't even want to think of what my mom would say to me if I came home with a mohawk :o

TalkingYam
04-26-2006, 08:41 AM
Dear Lord: If you bless me with offspring, please let me be a cool-tail ma like Trula... Yam

Your daughter is so gorgeous, so funky -- and lesson learned.

:wub:

mrsloh
04-26-2006, 08:59 AM
Some of ya'll may remember that last spring my daughter asked me to untangle her locks (http://www.mspmedia.net/trula/dreadlocks.html#sec9). I did, and she wore her naps out proudly. By summer she asked me if she could get a mohawk. I said sure. She still has the mohawk, but it has suffered. Instead of being even longer and thicker than it was by now, it has broken off in clumps and is straggly. Why? because she has colored it and puts lots of hair gel on it but also often blow dries it or f.l.a.t-i.r.o.n presses it completely straight. She has been natural all of her life and has a wonderful image of herself as a nappy-headed black person, so I let her, I figured there was no harm in letting her experiment around with her hair.

Well! seeing the damage has told her more than I ever could about what heat does to your hair. Here is how her mohawk looked before, notice how lush and thick it is:

http://www.mspmedia.net/trula/natural/iyende/frohawk5.jpg

http://www.mspmedia.net/trula/natural/iyende/spikehawk4.jpg

How it looks now, after extensive heat and coloring damage:

http://i2.tinypic.com/sx1z04.jpg

You see how broken off it is? and no she has not cut the mohawk hair at all!! she has only kept the sides short. Parts of it will never curl up again, the naps are fried and withered. She says she's going to dye it one more time (blue and/or purple) and then cut it off and wear a TWA this summer. :) She told me Mom, it keeps breaking off! I can see why some of my friends think their hair doesn't grow.
[/b]

...out of the mouths of babes...but I won't front - that mohawk is the bomb! I was feeling that I wanted to stand out and be different from everyone but was too afraid of others would think so I applaud your daughter's ability to be herself!!!!(and I applaud you too for letting her be who she is and not tryin' to hold her back by trying to make he what you think she should be!)

have you ever thought of trying colored henna on her hair? Here's a link to the brand I use:

Colored Henna (http://www.lotuspress.com/ltmtn.htm)

that way she can have her cake and eat it too - she won't have to worry about the color damage and she can change up the color of her TWA as it gradually washes out.

masoesa
04-26-2006, 09:04 AM
Wow, she has great hair and appearently no hair issues. This is a great example of how it could be. Thanks for posting. You are a great mom, I agree.

Tha0ne
04-26-2006, 09:30 AM
Trula...would you adopt me? :lol: It's great that she realizes what's going on and is willing to change. Some people would just keep doing what they were doing. Her hair is still awsome though :)

JustKei
04-26-2006, 09:33 AM
Wow!!! I am not surprised at the damage and I am sure she knew it was possible. But sometimes we gotta experiment. Her hair is waaaaay cool.

Trula
04-26-2006, 10:18 AM
Wow!!! I am not surprised at the damage and I am sure she knew it was possible. But sometimes we gotta experiment. Her hair is waaaaay cool.
[/b]

you know what, she really did not believe/understand how bad the damage would be. I kept telling her, I don't mind you using a blow dryer occassionally but it might make your hair break off, just so you know. I showed her the threads on NP. The she bought that flat flaming hot tool of hair torture anyway, and I told her it might permanentally straighten parts of her hair. She was like no it won't, when I wash it is always goes back curly. Not anymore! she was really hurt and surprised one day when she wanted to wear it out afro-style and her hair kept flopping over.

Trula
04-26-2006, 10:28 AM
have you ever thought of trying colored henna on her hair? Here's a link to the brand I use:

Colored Henna (http://www.lotuspress.com/ltmtn.htm)

that way she can have her cake and eat it too - she won't have to worry about the color damage and she can change up the color of her TWA as it gradually washes out.
[/b]

thank you mrsloh!! I am going to show her this. She really likes to color her hair, thanks so much. :)

thank all ya'll for your kind words!!

bettytoo
04-26-2006, 10:34 AM
That mohawk wick.Ilove the wild colour's.I should have had one when i was teen.I just did the shaved head thing.

detshorty05
04-26-2006, 11:32 AM
She would look great with a TWA!

Whitley Gilbert
04-26-2006, 11:42 AM
I love the color!!!! Shoot, I loved my color... to bad it's so damaging. *sigh*

poohslocs
04-26-2006, 11:44 AM
I know it's been said a number of times already, but I will say it again....

Trula, you are THE coolest mom! :D

yolan
04-26-2006, 11:49 AM
She would look great with a TWA!
[/b]

I agree, you can tell by the hair growing in at the sides that she will look fierce with a twa.

It's sad that the heat damaged her hair, but I love the fro/mohawks, both the before and after pics. Once again, I wish I had her confidence when I was younger and even some of it now that I'm older.

iscott555
04-26-2006, 12:00 PM
This is a really great post because people don't realize why their hair doesn't grow...but when you look at it in pictures you can actually see the breakage! This is similar to me because in high school my mother took care of my hair and she would always braid it up in some cute style and I had so much hair! Wheneve I look at my pictures I'm just in awe and then I went to college and I started doing my hair and I was p.ressing it every day and you could jsut see in my pictures that my hair just thinned out and broke off like crazy and I was always wondering why it didn't grow....thanks for this post!

pacunurse30
04-26-2006, 12:08 PM
Oh my goodness!!!!! Your daughter's hair was so beautiful!! :::sigh::: wishing and hoping for the day when mine gets to that point. I agree with what the other ladies said though, she's got the face for a TWA. I wish that I could rock one, seriously. I don't look too good with short hair. :(

Lady D
04-26-2006, 12:47 PM
Man those colors are hot! Reminds me of me back in the day I wish hair color wasn't so damaging cuz I am sooooo feeling color right now! Too bad about her hair but she's got such a great attitude she will rock that twa this summer! What a great mom you are!

BuddhaBelly
04-26-2006, 12:56 PM
Your daughter is so hardcore, I love it! I wish my mom would be cool about me doing some craziness to my hair but she would flip. lol I'm so tempted to dye my hair hot pink but too late now, I like the length I've got

kurliehead
04-26-2006, 01:05 PM
Trula you have to be the baddest, coolest, awsomest mom on the planet! :Cool_049:

I wish I had the confidence your daughter has at that age, and I hope that if I ever have a child I will be as great a mom as you.

jenni b natural
04-26-2006, 02:17 PM
her mohawk is so cool! i think this is an excellent example how heat AND COLOR...can be damaging to the hair. lots of times we like to sprinkle sugar on the coloring issue, but if something is strong enough to change the color of your hair, its strong enough to damage the crap out of it! wishing her hair a speedy recovery!

trula, you totally rock for letting your daughter be herself! lots of mamas try to make thier daughters replicas of them! :)

cocoapeblz
04-26-2006, 02:46 PM
wow, those are a lot of colors. She young and experimenting. Thank God she has you to tell her right from wrong. I bet you she'll lover her twa.

natitwists
04-26-2006, 03:13 PM
You truly are the coolest mom ever, I'm sure if Gin told me she wanted to dye her hair multiple colors I'd have a LOT to say....But what's wrong with letting her express herself? Nothing what so ever AND she learned a valuable lesson in the process. Teach on mama Trula! ;)

SimplyAlex
04-26-2006, 04:11 PM
Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks. Some peoples hair cant handle heat as well as others.

blackernsweeter
04-26-2006, 04:43 PM
man, my mom would've never went for that!!! that's so awesome!!! i hope i am that open minded as a mother. i remember that original post, thanks for the update!!

a clear head
04-26-2006, 05:46 PM
[size=4]

I think your daughter is so precious! What does she want to be when she beomes an adult?

Those colors are wonderful on her!!!

LuaBonita
04-26-2006, 06:41 PM
yea. that is a good example of what that stuff can do. im afraid to use chemicals and heat PERIOD!

off topic: your daughter is THE COOLEST! i love her hair (probably more with the funky colors). and its awesome that she can decide easily to chop everything off to sport a TWA. your family is unique :)