PDA

View Full Version : Can't make up my mind about the size

esperance
01-04-2004, 02:07 AM
I've started locs 3 times now. The first time I dismantled them because my hair was not healthy at all and it showed. The second time, I started them with palm rolls but I developed puffy lumps in the middle of each loc from scrubbing my roots too vigorously during the first shampoo. The lumps never went away and the hair never looked quite right after that. This is my 3rd attempt at it. I started these on 11/29 & 11/30/2003 with two strand twists. They are smaller than before, which is what I wanted anyway.

But I keep looking at them and wondering if they are going to be as small as I'd like for them to be. I figured that if they started really small, I could always "marry" them to make them larger if they end up being too small. But if they start off too big, how can you make them smaller? I've heard of people cutting them in half lengthwise and then just palm rolling them over time to get the shape back. But that sounds unhealthy too me.

How small is too small? I'm tempted to start over AGAIN, but I'm leaning more towards just leaving them alone this time & just accepting the size as it comes.

HELP! I'm too indecisive! Maybe I'll just have a professional start them for me.

Has anyone else been this indecisive in the beginning, worried about the size in the long run?

Please advise!

ShekinahSoul
01-04-2004, 02:29 AM
Locs get thicker as they get older so if they are the right size for you at this moment at such a beginning stage then they will get bigger than you may like for them to be. The idea of making them small and then marrying them later will work. And you can cut locs in half and when you get to the roots which are not loc you just pull the hair aloose and make two locs. I can see that working if you had a really big loc. I don't think it would take long for the locs to look like they were always apart. I'm thinking you could brush the locs and that might help them look more uniform. Since you locs were started in November I'm thinking now is a good time to seperate the locs since they are not totally loced yet.

esperance
01-04-2004, 03:39 AM
Thanks for the advice! I'm going to wash my hair tonight & reevaluate the size to see if I am happy with the progress. I guess you're right. Now is the time to do it, huh??

rockinlocs
01-04-2004, 05:37 PM
esperance, the most important thing is the size of your rootbed.

If you want small-to-medium sized locs and your rootbeds/sections are a little bigger than a pencils diameter, then you will be good.

The size of your twists NOW is not a reflection of the size they will become. As Shekinah said, they will thicken up. Once they've reached mature, adult stage, they will condense into their final size, but that will be slightly larger than the size you initially started out with.

CrystalD
01-05-2004, 02:59 PM
I too was apprehensive at first regarding the size. I wanted small to medium sized locs, and pretty much ended up with that. However, a year later, I see that they have definitely thickened up and a two of my locs are bigger than the others. I was actually thinking of undoing those two and making smaller locs, but now I've just learned to accept them (plus you really can't tell that they're bigger than the others).

However, if you're going to do any separating, I advise you to do it now. Just be careful not to make them too small. I know someone that did just that, and now, 6 months later, his locs are fragile and risk breaking at any point.

hope this helps.

BlakStaar
02-14-2005, 01:34 PM
bump

Taqwa
02-14-2005, 03:40 PM
Good thread!

I am going to birth mine 02/21/2005! Turning in my resignation from my job to become totally devoted to getting my Master's.

Now...
@ Rockin' this rootbed info...can you make parts? or just grab and twist?

@ esperence did you wash and redo??

Beryl
02-14-2005, 04:24 PM
Good luck on your Masters! What area?

It is definitely better to start with locs that are smaller than you'd like than larger than you'd like. You can always combine them but splitting them, though possible, is a little more work. Look at Rockinlocs. Her locs look great after she combined hers.

You can do either -- part or grab. One will give you uniformity and the other will give you variety. Both result in lovely locs. If you aren't sure which look you want, you should start out with even parts. It is easier to take away uniformity than to create it.

Later, you can vary the locs by making new locs between locs and combining them.

W8N2XHL
02-15-2005, 01:22 AM
My locs (almost 3 years old) are smaller than when I first got them started. And getting smaller. I don't worry too much because the rootbed is pretty strong. I believe your hair texture determines the final size of your locs. Then again, I could be totally wrong.

NyckeiXXIV
02-15-2005, 05:32 AM
I'm not sure what size mine are going to be -- at this point I just want them to BE...
But yeah, I feel the OP. My first set was large and I am almost positive that had I left them, they would have been larger than I anticipated. It's kinda hard to tell how the thing is going to play out, cause you're looling at the twists/comb coils; whatever what have you, and trying to estimate what's going to be happening 1, 2, and 4 years from now!
But I think that when they're the right size, you will know. I felt a certain ease when I got my comb coils and when I looked at them I knew they were okay and that I was okay with them. And even though I went to a stylist, not a loctician, to get them started, some of them are still not the same size. It's got to do with your head and its diameter as well... lots of factors, seen and unforseen, go into locs.
Good Luck and I hope you get what you want!!

One Love,
Nyckei

karimarie
02-15-2005, 08:59 AM
i wasn't really thinkin when i started my locs - and for me - this was a good thing. indecisive by nature - i'm afraid had i had any more time before i impulsively decided to loc - i would have still been makin locs and parts on this big head of mine.

i actually started my locs by accident - kept in my protective twists from a challenge i had participated in and went from there. because i was not really contemplating these would be the twists i'd grow locs from - they are not all that even. basically they are all uniform - but every now and again i find (feel - touch - grab) a loc that is just - ridiculously uneven/larger than the others. i guess that will be my character marks - because at this stage of the game it's too late (imo) for changes.

if you're anything like me - i'd say - grab and twist (or part and twist) away - and don't be so ... um... so much of a perfectionist another month or two goes by before you get your starters in. that could be time (IMO) that you could be budding. and then i think to myself - if you're contemplating and really indecisive - then maybe that's telling you that now is not the time to start locing. maybe you need to find a bit more peace - to be able to BE AT PEACE with your locs. just a thought - and my 2 nickles. :)

-kari.

ms_rite
07-11-2006, 04:47 AM
I've had the same concerns and started mine 3 times as a result.

I finally opted for smaller, for a few reasons. i have quite fine hair and i didnt want them to be too scalpy. They will eventually thicken with time and I can join fragile ones together. I hope i've made the right choice...only time will tell :unsure:

Lollapalooza
07-11-2006, 07:37 AM
I've started locs 3 times now. The first time I dismantled them because my hair was not healthy at all and it showed. The second time, I started them with palm rolls but I developed puffy lumps in the middle of each loc from scrubbing my roots too vigorously during the first shampoo. The lumps never went away and the hair never looked quite right after that. This is my 3rd attempt at it. I started these on 11/29 & 11/30/2003 with two strand twists. They are smaller than before, which is what I wanted anyway.

But I keep looking at them and wondering if they are going to be as small as I'd like for them to be. I figured that if they started really small, I could always "marry" them to make them larger if they end up being too small. But if they start off too big, how can you make them smaller? I've heard of people cutting them in half lengthwise and then just palm rolling them over time to get the shape back. But that sounds unhealthy too me.

How small is too small? I'm tempted to start over AGAIN, but I'm leaning more towards just leaving them alone this time & just accepting the size as it comes.

HELP! I'm too indecisive! Maybe I'll just have a professional start them for me.

Has anyone else been this indecisive in the beginning, worried about the size in the long run?

Please advise!
[/b]

Oh my goodness, I was insanely indecisive in the beginning...first I had 40 locs, then 43, then 65, then 75, then 93, then 95, and now 110!!!

lol, I'm a nut.

I'm definitely keeping this set now. I'm done. 110 is fine for me. Whew!