PDA

View Full Version : The Keep your hands out of your, hair challenge

iyamkenya
01-04-2004, 06:01 AM
i missed this challenge a couple of months ago. i seriously need to go to rehab for my hif disease. question: can a wash n go be part of this? If I just rinse my hair daily and immediately cover it with a silk scarf, would that count? i mean as long as I don't manipulate my hair once i'm out of the shower? i'm trying to stay away from stressful styles like my favorite puff,headband,and pantyhose pullback styles. i'm hoping that wearing my hair loose will eliminate breakage.
I just thought of something: finger-detangling with conditioner during the rinse-I don't think that counts,but let me know anyways. Also,someone mentioned wearing a bun for a month? Don't you have to reset the bun in place, and isn't that rubberband,or whatever you use to hold the bun in place pulling hair out after sleeping on it for a month?

netta1
01-04-2004, 07:48 AM
Hello there!!!! Girl the challenge was a minute ago sorry you missed it. I think I will start another one in oct 04. We might still have some troopers who have branched off on their own and continue to do their own version of the challenge though.

Here is the link to the original hair challenge, on the first page the rules for it are laid out-so theres no need to go through all the pages unless of course you want to. All the ladies that joined were wonderful, so you might find it to be a good and informative read. And I think for just about every question that was asked an answer was supplied.

Hair Challenge (http://www.nappturality.com/modules/ipboard/index.php?showtopic=16403&hl=hair+challenge)

If you still have questions and you might :0) feel free to Pm me. Best wishes to you and the challenge.

Btw
Yes I think frequently pulling the hair back into a bun can be damaging.

And most folks wore their hair in some form of braids/twist during the challenge, but I think protected TWA's were acceptable. Twa's with scarves/hats exc.

I don't know if wearing the hair loose eliminates breakage, its just the opposite for me. Wearing my hair in protective "up" styles have done the trick for me. Then again you gotta ensure that you pick a good protective style.

:blah ok like I said Pm me if you like, we can talk :blah

Medusa Negrita
01-04-2004, 08:23 AM
I don't understand this challenge. Why do you want to keep your hands out of your hair? I don't think there's anything wrong with HIF disease and liked touching my hair. I remember one time I was at the bank and waiting on a clerk. There was this white long straight haired blond chick who kept fingering her hair. I mention this because sometimes I get the feeling that black women are bothered when white or long haired straight chicks touch their hair in front of them, like they are subtly trying to say that they hair is better or looks better. Well since I'm standing there, I absently minded put my hand up to hair (which is nappy and standing out east/west like RosannaDanna)and start feeling and pulling at it and she does the same to hers absentminded and we both catch each other and smile kinda sorta embarrass like ;-)

If you like touching your hair, smoothing it, pulling it gently or just rubbing your hands over hair - what's wrong with it? Why do you need a 'challenge' to stop?

napturallyme
01-04-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Medusa Negrita@Jan 4 2004, 09:23 AM
I don't understand this challenge. Why do you want to keep your hands out of your hair? I don't think there's anything wrong with HIF disease and liked touching my hair. I remember one time I was at the bank and waiting on a clerk. There was this white long straight haired blond chick who kept fingering her hair. I mention this because sometimes I get the feeling that black women are bothered when white or long haired straight chicks touch their hair in front of them, like they are subtly trying to say that they hair is better or looks better. Well since I'm standing there, I absently minded put my hand up to hair (which is nappy and standing out east/west like RosannaDanna)and start feeling and pulling at it and she does the same to hers absentminded and we both catch each other and smile kinda sorta embarrass like ;-)

If you like touching your hair, smoothing it, pulling it gently or just rubbing your hands over hair - what's wrong with it? Why do you need a 'challenge' to stop?
LOL, it does bother me when white women do it, not because they are touching it but because they flinging it in my face. >:( This is one of my pet peeves.

But, yeah, I'm always running my fingers through my twists or pulling my coils. I didn't even attempt to be in the challenge because I would only last for a minute, lol

iyamkenya
01-05-2004, 03:29 PM
i think hif is more like Hand,comb,pick,brush in fro disease. styling,re-stlying, and re-re styling your hair through out the day. I'm guilty of this. All that manipulation(resetting a puff,rebraiding a cornrow,pulling back hair,letting it back aloose again,combing/picking your hair for the umpteenth time today) spells one thing:
B-R-E-A-K-A-G-E. http://jm.g.free.fr/smileys/smhair1.gif