PDA

View Full Version : On Impulse I Did Something Kinda Dumb

Napia Mia
05-02-2006, 02:25 PM
About a year ago, I permanently straightened my hair in the front with the pressing comb. For the most part, I've figured out ways to wear my hair to camoflage the damange with flat twist styles. But when I want to wear double strand twists that hang, there is NO hiding the damange.

Problem is...it's not a large area of damage. It happened in one area right in the front. So, when I wear hanging twists, it affects about three or four small twists on the right side and they frame my face. And depending on the twist, the damange along the hair shaft isn't even all the same length. So where I might need to cut off two inches on one twist, I might have to cut off four or three inches on the others.

See my dilemma?

So last night, while I was stupid sleepy, I started twists. Looking at my hair today, I just couldn't take it anymore so I cut the damage out of about four twists. So now, guess what, no surprise, my hair terribly uneven in only one spot. Most of my hair in the area where the damage is, is about 12 inches long. But now, one of my twists is about 8 inches long. Some of you might be thinking...wow 8 inches of hair. But when I was a permie, my hair never grew past 8 inches. Now I feel really sick and dumb...dumb...dumb. But that hair was gonna eventually have to go right?

I guess I could go back to wearing my flat twist styles...which I think are really cute. But I'm tired of that and I want to wear my hair in hanging twists. But for my hair to look right, I'm going to have to go get my hair trimmed and I consider this to be my first BC. I can't/don't count the first one cause I probably have the longest microbraid-transition on record, I wore them for 3.5 years. Never went through the emotional trauma of having short hair, the braids got me waaaay past that.

This just feels like a MAJOR setback cause I can't see any way around cutting off soo much healthy hair just to have an even head of hair.

I'm sick. All suggestions are welcome. Long post for a dumb problem. Sorry. :(

KnappilyMe
05-02-2006, 02:39 PM
Well.. at least you know what heat can do to your hair.

What i would suggest is a small section of flat twist in the front of your hair, then the rest wouldbe hanging.

or only a few little flat twist in the front where you cut it *like 3 of them* and the rest is hanging.

that way you dont have to chop all of your hair, your shorter hair is in a "protective" style and you still can wear your hanging hair.

knamean?

keep ya head up. :hug: its not the end of the world

Ok i have to ask.. why oh why did you just do that one little section? i mean any part is bad but why just the front?

curliefro
05-02-2006, 02:39 PM
About a year ago, I permanently straightened my hair in the front with the pressing comb. For the most part, I've figured out ways to wear my hair to camoflage the damange with flat twist styles. But when I want to wear double strand twists that hang, there is NO hiding the damange.

Problem is...it's not a large area of damage. It happened in one area right in the front. So, when I wear hanging twists, it affects about three or four small twists on the right side and they frame my face. And depending on the twist, the damange along the hair shaft isn't even all the same length. So where I might need to cut off two inches on one twist, I might have to cut off four or three inches on the others.

See my dilemma?

So last night, while I was stupid sleepy, I started twists. Looking at my hair today, I just couldn't take it anymore so I cut the damage out of about four twists. So now, guess what, no surprise, my hair terribly uneven in only one spot. Most of my hair in the area where the damage is, is about 12 inches long. But now, one of my twists is about 8 inches long. Some of you might be thinking...wow 8 inches of hair. But when I was a permie, my hair never grew past 8 inches. Now I feel really sick and dumb...dumb...dumb. But that hair was gonna eventually have to go right?

I guess I could go back to wearing my flat twist styles...which I think are really cute. But I'm tired of that and I want to wear my hair in hanging twists. But for my hair to look right, I'm going to have to go get my hair trimmed and I consider this to be my first BC. I can't/don't count the first one cause I probably have the longest microbraid-transition on record, I wore them for 3.5 years. Never went through the emotional trauma of having short hair, the braids got me waaaay past that.

This just feels like a MAJOR setback cause I can't see any way around cutting off soo much healthy hair just to have an even head of hair.

I'm sick. All suggestions are welcome. Long post for a dumb problem. Sorry. :(
[/b]

So are you saying that most of your hair is 12 inches and the area of damage in front that was cut is 8 inches? Is it uneven throughout the hair or just at the front (i.e. 8 vs. 12 inches which may not look to bad)
If you don't want to cut the rest of the hair (which doesn't make sense given most of the hair is healthy), why don't you do braid extentions (not too tight) until the growth "catches up." Sorry, I am not as creative with twists and what not and know that others may give you better advice. Good Luck!

kristina
05-02-2006, 02:50 PM
I had (have) heat straightened sections in the front- I just cut them out. The section wasn't big so it looks like I have longish bangs when I wear hanging twists. I also bobby pin the sections back. Why is evenness necessary for hanging twists.

Majestic
05-02-2006, 03:00 PM
Even hair length is overrated... especially with nappy hair. Even up the other side (only) and call it a day. :) When the difference is 12" vs. 8", trust me when I say you're probably the only one bothered by it. :lol:

Daughter-of-Diaspora
05-02-2006, 03:24 PM
Even hair length is overrated... especially with nappy hair. Even up the other side (only) and call it a day. :) When the difference is 12" vs. 8", trust me when I say you're probably the only one bothered by it. :lol:
[/b]
ITA. We are often out own worse critics.
It'll grow back and youll look back on this experiance and laugh... hopefully.