PDA

View Full Version : Two strand twists

MochaVegan
01-04-2004, 07:00 PM
Hi
I was just wondering how can I get my mothers two strand twists to look full? She has mostly 4b hair with some 4a in the very back and some in the front. How can I make them look full? They always look fat and spaced up and stiff. What product can I use and what techniques can I use to make them look full? Also in the back and front they come loose.
We usually use cd loc butter on them. I like the ones that are small and and have a little curl to them. How can we acheive this style!!!!!!!!! I't desperate to keep mother mother natural.. She is seriously thinking about perming out of frustration.

saga30311
01-05-2004, 05:11 AM
Hm...I'm not sure what u mean by "full", because I'm confused by your saying they look "fat, spaced up and stiff". It sounds like each individual twist is "fat", and then the whole head altogether isn't "full" enough - so I'll assume this is true & answer in this vein...

You may want to make the twists smaller, and twist the hair dry. Depending on the end result I want, I'll blow dry my hair before I begin to twist - which produces longer & thinner indv twists. I try not to part - just grab smaller individual sections with my fingers. IMO this produces an overall fuller, more "natural" appearance. if she does twist-outs also, using smaller sections will produce a "wavier" appearance (depending on the size of the twists).

If I want curlier or fuller indv twists - I'll twist my hair wet and use larger sections. The hair tends to "draw up" (for lack of a better description) and the twists look "fatter", and the parts appear more pronounced (IMHO). However, fatter twists produce curlier twist-outs, which to me are prettier.

As for twist products, I'm a gel fan, but I use non-alcohol based gels. You can search the product forum for more ideas on what to use for twists, but some of my fave twist products are:
- Taliah Waajid's Lock It Up Gel (http://www.blackearthproducts.com/bep_pg1.htm)
- Taliah Waajid's Crinkles & Curls (for dry twisting) (http://www.blackearthproducts.com/bep_pg1.htm)
- ORS's Lock & Twist gel (http://www.organicrootstimulator.com/products/lock_twist.htm) (beware of buildup)

HTH :)

femmeNoire
01-06-2004, 04:12 AM
Whenever I get my 2-strand twists they're usually stiff at first. Then over the next week they start to loosen up at the root and look fuller.

I also get my hair blow-dried then twisted, but it's the same thing: It doesn't start to look full until it's a week old

darkgoddes
01-06-2004, 04:55 PM
I think it depends on your hair. When I do my daughters hair (she's a 3c), it's very thick and full. When I do my hair (4a), they come out thin every time.

Shaunie
01-16-2004, 03:29 AM
What do the numbers & letters mean (4b, 3c, 4a)? Sorry, I'm new. Thanks

jenteel
01-16-2004, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by saga30311@Jan 5 2004, 03:11 AM
As for twist products, I'm a gel fan, but I use non-alcohol based gels. You can search the product forum for more ideas on what to use for twists, but some of my fave twist products are:
- Taliah Waajid's Lock It Up Gel (http://www.blackearthproducts.com/bep_pg1.htm)
- Taliah Waajid's Crinkles & Curls (for dry twisting) (http://www.blackearthproducts.com/bep_pg1.htm)
- ORS's Lock & Twist gel (http://www.organicrootstimulator.com/products/lock_twist.htm) (beware of buildup)

HTH :)
i am currently on the search 4 a new twist product
could u tell me more about the lock up gel?
what is in it?
and what is the consistency?

thanx...

btw
ur twists look gorgeous in ur pics!!!

saga30311
01-16-2004, 04:09 AM
@jenteel - thank you for the compliment! :-)

It just figures - my daughter just ran outta the house with my last jar of Loc-It-Up about 10 minutes ago :doh

This is the ingredient list she gave me over the phone, not necessaily in this order: Black Earth Formula (Water, Tea, Natural Herbs), Indian Hemp, Yaro Root, Rosemary, Nettle, Natural Hair Locking Recipe, Carbomer 940, Bio-flavonoids, Hydrolyzed Protein, Natural Preservatives, Nipa Guard, Fruit 6 fragrance.

The closest comparison I can make to the consistency is Jello - if you let it set partially, and the stirred it really well, then let it set again - that would be Loc-It-Up gel. It doesn't cause a lot of buildup, and is great for twists & comb coils. It has good hold, and it keeps my hair soft, while maintaining the hold. I use other stuff for different styles, ex. afropuff - I may use a gel with a firmer hold.

WARNING: I got my big chop at Taliah Waajid's salon - which is where Black Earth products are created & sold, so this may be why I'm such a fan. I have tried some other gels, like the Fantasia IC (this dried my hair) ORS Loc & Twist (which causes buildup, and has some questionable ingredients), BBD Glass (too hard & smelly for me), and some other cheap stuff that shall remain nameless for fear of incriminating any one product :lol

Note: there is a cheap knock-off of Loc It Up that I like, it's called Locs & Twists, made by a company called Nature's Image out of Florida. The DD took that too, and she's not answering her phone now, but I get this at my neighborhood beauty supply store (not Sally's - the ghetto store that sells all the hair weaves :smug ). The ingredient list is pretty similar, and it doesn't contain any harmful ingredients that I can remember.

Suffice it to say - I am far from an expert, although I was a minor product junkie for a bit. I had to experiment to figure out what was right for me, and you may have to do the same...

jenteel
01-16-2004, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by saga30311@Jan 16 2004, 02:09 AM
This is the ingredient list she gave me over the phone, not necessaily in this order: Black Earth Formula (Water, Tea, Natural Herbs), Indian Hemp, Yaro Root, Rosemary, Nettle, Natural Hair Locking Recipe, Carbomer 940, Bio-flavonoids, Hydrolyzed Protein, Natural Preservatives, Nipa Guard, Fruit 6 fragrance.

WARNING: I got my big chop at Taliah Waajid's salon - which is where Black Earth products are created & sold, so this may be why I'm such a fan. I have tried some other gels, like the Fantasia IC (this dried my hair) ORS Loc & Twist (which causes buildup, and has some questionable ingredients), BBD Glass (too hard & smelly for me), and some other cheap stuff that shall remain nameless for fear of incriminating any one product :lol

Note: there is a cheap knock-off of Loc It Up that I like, it's called Locs & Twists, made by a company called Nature's Image out of Florida. The DD took that too, and she's not answering her phone now, but I get this at my neighborhood beauty supply store (not Sally's - the ghetto store that sells all the hair weaves :smug ). The ingredient list is pretty similar, and it doesn't contain any harmful ingredients that I can remember.

Suffice it to say - I am far from an expert, although I was a minor product junkie for a bit. I had to experiment to figure out what was right for me, and you may have to do the same...
the ingredient list sounds good
my hair likes gels 2
especially carbomer based gels!
(even though carbomer is supposed 2 be an allergen)
what can u do? :-?

i have the locs and twists by nature's image!!!!!
the yellow 1
the black 1 looked thicker?
but it does not hold
i twisted on monday
and they r already comin out >:(
if u want it --- u can have it!
my hair is really soft
but that doesn't help me
that's why i like gel-based things

i used the ors gel b4
but i did get that yucky buildup
and my twist-outs were mad stiff :duck

girl i have been napptural since 98-99
and i still am searching
just recently i got real serious on what's in my products
i want 2 twist w/ real products!

saga30311
01-16-2004, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by jenteel@Jan 16 2004, 04:20 AM
the ingredient list sounds good
my hair likes gels 2
especially carbomer based gels!

i have the locs and twists by nature's image!!!!!
the yellow 1
the black 1 looked thicker?
but it does not hold
i twisted on monday
and they r already comin out >:(
if u want it --- u can have it!
my hair is really soft
but that doesn't help me
that's why i like gel-based things

i used the ors gel b4
but i did get that yucky buildup
and my twist-outs were mad stiff :duck

girl i have been napptural since 98-99
and i still am searching
just recently i got real serious on what's in my products
i want 2 twist w/ real products!
it didn't hold, huh? hm....

Never tried the black Locs & Twists - only the yellow 1. Although, I know there are 2 different yellowish ones - one's got Honey in it I think. I bought the one with the strongest hold.

:huh Hm...if that didn't hold, I wonder if Lock-It-Up will? It's a lil stronger - but not a lot stronger. I still like it better, because it holds better, and it keeps my hair soft.

:-P You may want to try that Fantasia IC - folks here rave about it. It's the one with SparkleLites I think. I don't have any handy, cause I tossed my last jar a while ago. Here's a partial list of the ingredients:
Enriched With Sparkle Lite Conditioners, Aloe, Wheat Protein And Vitamin-E (alcohol free). The jar says it's for "Hard to Hold" styles, so this may work, and it's relatively inexpensive, compared to Lock It Up (I think my jar was like $3.99?

Matter of fact - if you search on twists in the Forum title (Try the Napptural Hair thread, and the Products thread) - there are probably several thread dedicated to this very subject.

HTH :thumbsup

jenteel
01-16-2004, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by saga30311@Jan 16 2004, 02:38 AM

it didn't hold, huh? hm....

Never tried the black Locs & Twists - only the yellow 1. Although, I know there are 2 different yellowish ones - one's got Honey in it I think. I bought the one with the strongest hold.

:huh Hm...if that didn't hold, I wonder if Lock-It-Up will? It's a lil stronger - but not a lot stronger. I still like it better, because it holds better, and it keeps my hair soft.

:-P You may want to try that Fantasia IC - folks here rave about it. It's the one with SparkleLites I think. I don't have any handy, cause I tossed my last jar a while ago. Here's a partial list of the ingredients:
Enriched With Sparkle Lite Conditioners, Aloe, Wheat Protein And Vitamin-E (alcohol free). The jar says it's for "Hard to Hold" styles, so this may work, and it's relatively inexpensive, compared to Lock It Up (I think my jar was like $3.99?

Matter of fact - if you search on twists in the Forum title (Try the Napptural Hair thread, and the Products thread) - there are probably several thread dedicated to this very subject.

HTH :thumbsup
yeah
i think i'm going 2 have 2 do a search
i've used the fantasia
wasn't 2 crazy about it
me and my weird hair
everybody else just uses shea butter
if the kemi-oyl pomade didn't make me itchy
it would have been perfect!
thanx!

saga30311
01-16-2004, 04:53 AM
@Shaunie

I tried to post this link earlier, but it took me a while to find it (note: the page includes pics to clarify as well):

.: Andre Walker's Hair Types on OurHair.net :. (http://www.ourhair.net/oldsite/andre_hairtype.htm)

The synopsis:

Andre types hair from 1 to 4, 1 being the straightest and 4 the curliest. Type 1a and 1b hair is straight with no curl or wave. This hair type has a lot of shine and tends to be oily

Hair that Andre classifies as Type 2a and 2b has some soft waves but little or no curl. It tends to be coarse and stays clings to the scalp in long S shaped curves. This hair type has very little body, though styling products can help it along.

Type 3a and 3b hair has a definite "S" pattern to it which is usually fine textured and soft. It does not have as much shine as Type 1 or 2 hair, but it does have a lot of natural body. When this hair type is wet, it straightens out, but then draws up into a curlier state as it dries.

Andre classifies Type 4 hair as kinky textured hair which he defines as being tightly curled. Type 4 hair can be wiry and very fragile. It is also drier than other hair types because the twists in the hair make it harder for the scalp's sebum to reach the ends. Type 4a's hair strand has an "S" shape like spirals.

Type 4b has the characteristics of Type 4a, but the hair strand has a zig zag shape like "Z". This makes it more fragile than all of the other hair types and it should be handled accordingly.

HTH

Shaunie
01-16-2004, 04:24 PM
Saga30311

Thanks for the hair types descriptions!

divanapptural
07-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Hi
I was just wondering how can I get my mothers two strand twists to look full? She has mostly nappy hair with some nappy in the very back and some in the front. How can I make them look full? They always look fat and spaced up and stiff. What product can I use and what techniques can I use to make them look full? Also in the back and front they come loose.
We usually use cd loc butter on them. I like the ones that are small and and have a little curl to them. How can we acheive this style!!!!!!!!! I't desperate to keep mother mother natural.. She is seriously thinking about perming out of frustration.
[/b]
Wow! This one may be challenging. Ive found that ORS lock and twist gel works well on my hair to hold the twists together ( my hair is very thick and coily in the back and loosely wavy in the top and sides) If you are using a comb to get clean parts...stop! Its better if you do them free-hand. What is wrong with fat twists? Isnt that what u want them to look like. I wish mine would plump up like that in the top and front. I have to rinse my twists and let them air dry to get that look. Well any who.... :soapbox: try the gel and no comb technique and see how it turns out. Good luck! Please don't let her go back to chemical fire cream :afro: