PDA

View Full Version : Lice & Locs

Patrina
01-05-2004, 03:26 PM
I was just reading the lice thread and I was wondering. . . Are locs more susceptible to lice? Is this something I am going to have to worry about? I was reading about coating the hair with olive oil or some type of grease and then covering it with a plastic cap. Can this be done with locs? Especially baby locs (not loced yet). What do you ladies think?

Peace and Napptural hair grease :rainfro
Patrina

LotsOfLocs
01-05-2004, 03:38 PM
Patrina calm down. :razz It is rare for Blacks in America to get lice. I assume you use oil on your hair. That alone will make it less easy for lice to attach. We are not more susceptible. I just think it will be harder to remove them without cutting our locs.

Patrina
01-05-2004, 11:40 PM
:bubble :thumbsup Thank you gurl. Trust me I have an imagination even a child would envy.

Peace and Napptural hair grease :rainfro
Patrina

Beryl
01-06-2004, 01:18 AM
Let me drag up the article from a post in a HAIR!!!! forum 3 years ago.

Black folks can get lice but only lice in Africa and other countries where the lice exists which can hang on to nappy hair. The lice in the US and other places populated with Europeans (and those with straight hair) can't cling to naps.

I'd guess that relaxed hair might be more susceptible. j/k

Beryl
01-06-2004, 01:52 AM
Here is a pretty good link:
http://www.crisny.org/not-for-profit/nycap...e.htm#who%20can (http://www.crisny.org/not-for-profit/nycap/headlice.htm#who%20can)

Note that there are lice which do prefer nappy hair. They just don't live in the US or Europe.

ShekinahSoul
01-06-2004, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by Beryl@Jan 5 2004, 09:52 PM

Note that there are lice which do prefer nappy hair. They just don't live in the US or Europe.
.....yet.

It just takes one person to bring them into the country in their hair....and then we have an outbreak folks.

QueenLocks
01-06-2004, 05:13 AM
Well, I've had my locs for 5 years now, and NO LICE! A Bunch of Dandruff, but that's another problem. If I see "ANYTHING Crawling" in my locs, without hesitation, I'm cutting them off!!
Shampoo locs, keep them wrapped up at night, and when doing things like cutting grass, or in a dirty environment, like walking by a dirt/dust construction area!

amalah9
01-06-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Queenli19@Jan 6 2004, 01:13 AM
If I see "ANYTHING Crawling" in my locs, without hesitation, I'm cutting them off!!

:lol I would probably dip my locs in a pot of boiling water 1st to see if I could kill 'em. But if that doesn't work then I'm gonna have to :cen too!

amalah9
01-06-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Beryl@Jan 5 2004, 09:18 PM
Black folks can get lice but only lice in Africa and other countries where the lice exists which can hang on to nappy hair. The lice in the US and other places populated with Europeans (and those with straight hair) can't cling to naps.

:shock

QueenLocks
01-06-2004, 05:52 PM
Yeah Amalah9, "most" lice, likes to cling-on [suck] moisture from oily, straight hair! "Most" African Hair is dry, so they don't bother our Hair Type...

Epiphany_Castro
01-07-2004, 02:54 AM
Boy is lice just my worst nightmare!!!! I teach little kids so I am always very careful to keep some sort of oil/coating on my hair. I do the same thing to my 7 yr. old son's hair. Just a wee bit,because he is bi-racial he has caucasian type hair and I cannot have that child bringin' them home to me!!!EEEEk. So far so good-I have had them going on 5 years now.