PDA

View Full Version : New vegetarian

RaLuvsRed
01-06-2004, 07:31 AM
I went to the food shopping the other day and saw they had tofu on sale. Can I freeze the tofu for later use if I buy it in bulk?

tdhayes
01-06-2004, 12:32 PM
I wouldn't suggest that. However, I think you can just read the package. If something is not to be frozen, it normally says so.

rockinlocs
01-07-2004, 12:35 AM
I've seen recipes where they have you freeze the (medium or firm) tofu and then thaw and slice it before preparing.

I would suggest you take it out of the pack, drain it (press it firmly to remove the water that it's stored in) and then freeze it in freezer bags.

When you thaw it, you can either marinate it or slice or cube it and use it for whatever you plan to do with it. But I think the main thing is to drain it well prior to freezing and not freeze it in the original packaging and all that water.

niki000
01-09-2004, 12:15 AM
YES you can freeze tofu, and it gets a really meaty (for lack of a better definition) texture when its frozen which is perfect for a lot of recipes. Just drain, put it in a freezer bag and thaw it by running warm water over... (don't microwave it!). Then cook however you want, it's good to fry it after its been frozen, just coat it in some cornstarch and fry it like chicken or something. Another good way to preserve tofu is to cook it in a dish and then freeze that. For example, 3 bean chilli and tofu freeze well, and it flavors thetofu well. I also make chocolate pudding out of soft tofu and when it freezes and thaws a little it tastes like ice-cream.. and when it thaws a lot, its pudding again. lasagna with tofu freezes really well, i think its actually better after its been frozen.

welcome to veg world btw, if you want to trade recipes please pm me. :)

RaLuvsRed
01-14-2004, 07:11 PM
Thank you very much for all the information

tdhayes
01-20-2004, 06:49 PM
Thanks too@! I didn't know that you could freeze it!...gotta try that!...