PDA

View Full Version : back on the wagon

Bklyn4eva
01-06-2004, 07:36 PM
happy new year! hope we all have an even more fruitful and positive one than last year

must vent again...
towards the end of my last semester of college i went crazy. i moved into the computer lab the last week of classes to finish my thesis and other coursework... i was so stressed and unhappy i decided one day to give myself a scalp massage in the shower. it felt good, but i impeded the two months progress my uncombed hair had made :rolling

i haven't combed my hair since that day, and now that i'm not in a stressful situation, i've mentally recommitted to locs. i'm being graduated in may, and made it out of my last semester of college alive (just barely). i finger rolled my hair a few days ago, and will continue to maintain myself- i've decided i dont want other people's hands in my hair until my hair is loc'd

:offtopic
for an early graduation present my bf gave me a copy of Dreads by Francesco Mastalia and Alfonse Pagano, with some beautiful photos and an intro written by Alice Walker, which definitely stoked my fire for dreads

ShekinahSoul
01-06-2004, 10:05 PM
I have that book. That book always gets me motivated. Makes me even more proud that I have locs. Locs take patience, commitment, time and a certain persona that says a person is willing to take that journey. It takes one type of state of thinking to say we are going to buck the norm and go natural. There are PLENTY of comments and looks and our own "did I do the right thing" that goes into growing out the relaxer and sporting the nappy do. But when a sista decides to LOC well she is taking her napptural journey up another notch. See our style is permanent. Locs are not like twists and coils we can take aloose and then do a puff fro and then do twist out. Locs mean that's what you have EVERY day. Locs. You can style them but you have locs every day. Not everybody will go natural and out of that group not everybody will loc so every time I see loc heads especially on women I feel a kinship. I do believe that loc sistas are a unique group of people. And when a sista lets her locs grow long. She is really in a truly special group of Black women.

toy
01-07-2004, 12:31 AM
all is not lost, lady! it may seem as if you've lost all the work you'd done, but i'm sure there are still some buds in there. also, you can massage your scalp just do make sure you do it in moderation.

@ShekinahSoul, well said.

amalah9
01-07-2004, 01:38 PM
Congrats on making it successfully through the semester! :app

all is not lost, lady! it may seem as if you've lost all the work you'd done, but i'm sure there are still some buds in there. also, you can massage your scalp just do make sure you do it in moderation.

@ShekinahSoul, well said.
ITA

NaturallyJade
01-07-2004, 02:20 PM
Congratulations on your upcoming graduation!

Don't you love that book! I bought it for myself (paperback.) I went back and bought it in hardcover and gave the paperback to a friend/salon owner.

I am trying not to touch my hair (I just had it loc'd this past Friday) so far I have been doing a good job.