PDA

View Full Version : No Conditioner Challenge

BlackPearls
05-16-2006, 12:54 PM
After reading this thread:
http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.ph...wtopic=63882&hl (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=63882&hl)

Some ladies stated that they do not use conditioner b/c it does not have any effect on their hair. And many men with lovely full heads of natural hair rarely conditioner either.

I figured we could start a non-conditioner challenge. (I saw that one nappie was going to start I but I don't see the thread anywhere. Hope you don't mind me kicking it off). I ran out of conditioner three weeks ago and have yet to replace it due to laziness. As a result, I haven’t been conditioning my hair at all, only shampooing or rinsing as usual and then moisturising with whipped shea butter. I haven't noticed any dryness; in fact my hair feels more moisturised (weird), no breakage or damage etc. I will still do monthly hot oil treatments though.

I thought doing a no-conditioner challenge would be a good way for those who are interested to share their experiences and track results to find out if conditioning is really necessary for them.

meccadon
05-16-2006, 12:57 PM
Hmmmm....I'm intrigued! ^_^

meagan22
05-16-2006, 02:35 PM
Hmmmm....I'm intrigued! ^_^
[/b]
as am I. But if I participated I'd have to find a shampoo with enough slip for me to detangle with.......... :unsure:

meccadon
05-16-2006, 03:30 PM
as am I. But if I participated I'd have to find a shampoo with enough slip for me to detangle with.......... :unsure:
[/b]

I know ya'll tired of me saying this, but look into the J.R. Liggett shampoo Bar (they have it Essene Market on 4th St., two blocks up from South St.). Just check out the site online and see if it'll work for you.

You also may be able to detangle with a regular moisturizer too. Plus, I detangle with a cushioned paddle brush (a Scunci knock-off).

runrunrunner
05-16-2006, 05:38 PM
i've done that many times. i kind of go back and forth. i'll use conditioner a lot ...and then other times, i wont use any at all.

hammie
05-16-2006, 05:42 PM
I know ya'll tired of me saying this, but look into the J.R. Liggett shampoo Bar (they have it Essene Market on 4th St., two blocks up from South St.). Just check out the site online and see if it'll work for you.

You also may be able to detangle with a regular moisturizer too. Plus, I detangle with a cushioned paddle brush (a Scunci knock-off).
[/b]

Dang, I was right in Essence Market getting me some aloe jelly just an hour ago, too! Gonna try out that 'poo bar next time I go, though, thanks for the rec. :D

mecca360
05-16-2006, 10:15 PM
hmm... interesting.

I am almost tempted to try this...

BlackPearls
05-17-2006, 08:41 AM
I washed my hair again last night, with shampoo did not condition. Simply used whipped shea butter again and placed it into large twists. Still feels good today, I'll give updates on this later in the week.

Some ladies were asking about shampoo. I think it is best that your shampoo be very moisturising to begin with. I use Nubian Heritage Raw Shea Butter Shampoo. I listed the ingredients below for those who are interested. It doesn't contain any sulphates, simple recipe and works wonders.

Ingredients: African Shea Butter, Avocado Oil, Aloe Vera, Vitamin E, Soy Milk Protein, Filtered Water, Wheat Germ Oil, Rosemary Extract, Soaps of Coconut and Palm, Panthenol, Aloe Vera, Extracts of Frankincense and Myrrh, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben.

TrueSugar
05-17-2006, 08:48 AM
Good Luck!!

Nx2brat
05-17-2006, 12:46 PM
[/b]

BBD Triple Slip Moisturizing Shampoo... detangling is a breeze.

Brat :P

blksnflwr
05-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Hmm. This is very intresting. I have been thiniking that my co-washes are drying my hair out lately.

Is BBD shampoo made by the same people who make glass?

BlackPearls
05-18-2006, 10:43 AM
There's gotta be regular non conditioners around here, where you at ladies! :unsure:

detshorty05
05-18-2006, 12:42 PM
Nubian Heritage Raw Shea Butter Shampoo<---where can I find this?

I just rinsed my hair today. I&#39;m planning on doing a hot oil treatment acv rinse and shampoo tomorrow. I&#39;ll skip the conditioner and see how it goes.

Ketchup
05-18-2006, 02:02 PM
Some ladies were asking about shampoo. I think it is best that your shampoo be very moisturising to begin with. I use Nubian Heritage Raw Shea Butter Shampoo. I listed the ingredients below for those who are interested. It doesn&#39;t contain any sulphates, simple recipe and works wonders.

Ingredients: African Shea Butter, Avocado Oil, Aloe Vera, Vitamin E, Soy Milk Protein, Filtered Water, Wheat Germ Oil, Rosemary Extract, Soaps of Coconut and Palm, Panthenol, Aloe Vera, Extracts of Frankincense and Myrrh, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben.
[/b]

Those could actually be the ingredients for a conditioner itself...w/out the highlighted.....

The key is definitely using a moisturising shampoo/poobar..

JustKei
05-18-2006, 05:28 PM
There&#39;s gotta be regular non conditioners around here, where you at ladies! :unsure:
[/b]

I am a regular non-conditioner but I do believe I have to pay attention to what my hair needs. Though my hair doesnt LOVE conditioner, there are some times when I know it needs it, the same goes for oils. I am not sure how I would benefit from a challenge, there isnt much difference, just that my hair doesnt need it sometimes.... I will stay tuned to see what you ladies report....

Kei

BlackPearls
05-18-2006, 06:45 PM
Hey there MsAlecia, thanks for posting. I&#39;ve been thinking a lot about what you said. I think my hair may be the same. Althought it does not need to be conditioned everytime I wet it, it may benfit from conditioning at some point, which is probably where I&#39;d just do the deep conditions. Just out of couriosity do you do them when you notice your hair feels like its in need, or can you kinda guess a range, like once every 3 weeks or so?

meagan22
05-18-2006, 06:52 PM
Thanx for the info about the shampoo bar, BlackPearls. I&#39;d never heard of that store. I&#39;ll check it outu next week and if the bar doesn&#39;t work for me then i&#39;ll try the shampoo that Nx2Brat suggested :D

JustKei
05-18-2006, 07:13 PM
Hey there MsAlecia, thanks for posting. I&#39;ve been thinking a lot about what you said. I think my hair may be the same. Althought it does not need to be conditioned everytime I wet it, it may benfit from conditioning at some point, which is probably where I&#39;d just do the deep conditions. Just out of couriosity do you do them when you notice your hair feels like its in need, or can you kinda guess a range, like once every 3 weeks or so?
[/b]
Its difficult to describe how I know when my hair needs to be conditioned. I always condition when I use certain shampoos, like nizoral or selsun blue because I feel they strip the hair. If I use Dr. Bonner&#39;s or Oyin&#39;s poo bar or some other conditioning shampoo, thats when I skip the conditioner.

obsidian78
05-18-2006, 08:22 PM
as am I. But if I participated I&#39;d have to find a shampoo with enough slip for me to detangle with.......... :unsure:
[/b]

Lovin "The Mane Event" :lol:

Obsidian78

cher79
05-18-2006, 08:59 PM
I haven&#39;t been using conditioner for the past few months because I keep noticing build up everytime I use it...maybe I&#39;m also heavy handed with the stuff, too. But I can&#39;t use it anymore (although I have went back and forth at times).

I just washed my hair and only used a shampoo called EO Essential Oil Products Grapefruit and Mint Shampoo. I got it on sale at Marshall&#39;s for $3, but I don&#39;t think they have it anymore.
http://www.eoproducts.com/

ChiChiKinks
05-19-2006, 06:43 AM
Recently I have been hooked on natual soap bars that can be used from head to toe so I just wash my hair with that and don&#39;t use a conditioner. I do moisturize my hair afterwards with my butters and oil products, almost like a leave in conditioner ...but not and I must say I like it this way much better

BlackPearls
05-19-2006, 06:59 AM
Recently I have been hooked on natual soap bars that can be used from head to toe so I just wash my hair with that and don&#39;t use a conditioner. I do moisturize my hair afterwards with my butters and oil products, almost like a leave in conditioner ...but not and I must say I like it this way much better
[/b]

CHiChiKinks, I&#39;m finding the oils and butters be enough as well, it seems as though conditioning doesn&#39;t really have a big place in my routine and now a moisturising shampoo is more important...interesting. I always aimed for the exact opposite when I first BCd