PDA

View Full Version : Why Does Shea Butter Make My Hair Hard & Greasy?

kysses2
05-24-2006, 09:30 AM
I envy those that can use she butter and get that soft hair, I have unrefined shea butter and everytime I use it after a few hours my hair becomes hard & dry, I am kind of heavy handed, but maybe my hair just don't like shea butter, maybe if I just use a little and not so much because it does get greasy just like regular hair grease, but I had made me a homemade curly pudding and I am thinking of melting a small amount and adding it for extra moisture.

Am I the only one who go through this? My husband loves the shea butter maybe I need to mix it in order for it to work instead of just using it plain ^_^

Thanks Ladies!

ms_g
05-24-2006, 10:07 PM
try mixing it with aloe vera.
you can also pm shulta. she knows all about this stuff. lol.

LBellatrix
05-25-2006, 06:00 AM
Yeah, pure shea butter doesn't work for everybody. I always had to mix mine with something else...usually olive oil or a combination of oils.

Loquacious
05-25-2006, 07:10 AM
Ive always used pure shea butter on my hair but a little goes a long way. my hair is about 5" all over and longer in some parts. I use a small piece of butter the size of a cherry pit and rub it between my hands really quickly and rub it all over my head. usually I'll do this on damp hair and the shea would lock the moisture in. sometimes if I felt I needed more then I'd use a little more but not too much. hope that helps.

spiral
05-25-2006, 11:42 AM
Your hair may not like direct butters or oils. Like Ms_g and LBellatrix said, you may need to mix it with something. My hair doesn't like direct butters either. I mix them with flax gel and that makes a world of difference. Also butter/aloe vera emulsions could work. I bought a product that has a lot of butters and oils, but they are blended with aloe vera and that also makes a big difference - the aloe helps the mixture sink in rather than sit on my head (which leads to hardness/dryness).

mecca360
05-25-2006, 11:49 AM
I have been having the same problem as well, i will try adding some oil to it as well as some AVG....

you ladies were refering to aloe vera GEL... right?

CoutureKitty
05-26-2006, 10:24 PM
my hair sometimes does this hard dry thing when i hot oil treat with olive oil. I have no idea what thats about and why it is a sometimey type thing.

sweet
05-28-2006, 11:25 AM
shea butter on dry hair does not work for me at all.
In my case its already dry and putting a product that has no water content straight on doesnt help.
However once I applied it to damp hair and braided it up to dry, when I undo them my hair is soft and happy. you can also spritz your hair with a bit of water before adding the shea.
Or as others have said, mixing it up with aloe vera gel can work too. i do this.

carlasher
05-29-2006, 11:25 AM
Pure shea butter doesnt work for me either. The smallest amount weighs my hair down.

When you ladies mix it with aloe vera gel, do you melt the shea butter first?

kysses2
06-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Thanks Ladies! I have been away for awhile, but I will try it with avg and see how that goes because my hair works well with aloe vera gel!

Shawnee66
06-04-2006, 12:00 AM
I mix my Shea butter with aloe vera gel of flaxseed gel. When I first BCed I tried using just Shea butter but it would make my hair very hard and greasy. Since I started combing it with Aloe Vera or Flaxseed and applying while my hair is wet, I haven't had this problem.

I usually melt the Shea, let it cool for a few minutes then add the Aloe or Flaxseed gel and whip them together.

carlasher
06-04-2006, 01:17 AM
I usually melt the Shea, let it cool for a few minutes then add the Aloe or Flaxseed gel and whip them together.
[/b]

Thanks!

Saidah
06-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Are you guys using Aloe from the plant or a bottled one such as Fruit of the Earth? Or bottled natural aloe juice straight from the plant?

kysses2
06-05-2006, 07:28 AM
I use fruit of the earth but I had ordered some Lily of The desert 100% aloe vera gel because I have heard good things about it. but fote works great for me.

jtsupa
06-05-2006, 01:23 PM
No matter what I mix it with my hate shea butter!
but it does like shea oil mixed in my spritz

blksnflwr
06-05-2006, 01:54 PM
My hair does not like it plain. It just sits on it hard.I have tried it many a ways. It only likes it with aloe.

phlough
06-06-2006, 07:43 PM
I am having the same issue as well. I will try the aloe vera oil mixture. Thanks for the info!

kysses2
06-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Okay I tried it mixed with AVG and it just didn't work but I have discoverd that my crown area which was badly damaged by a Haircolor before I went natural. I just apply a small amount to my scalp at the crown area before I go to bed and it is helping it out alot. But I am gonna try it melted and see how it works it might work better by being warmed up a bit!

lovida
06-16-2006, 02:44 PM
my hair sometimes does this hard dry thing when i hot oil treat with olive oil. I have no idea what thats about and why it is a sometimey type thing.
[/b]

Yeah, my hair HATES HATES HATES hot oil treatments, but shea butter mixed w/ a little sweet almond oil works perfectly. I never use it when my hair is completely dry.