PDA

View Full Version : What Should I Do Before I Go To The Barber?

lulu
05-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Hi. Last July, I did the second chop really really short because I wanted to start anew and see how it was to care for extremely short hair. I waited a year to cut off the permed ends the first time.

Anyway, my hair has grown considerably and I really need it trimmed in the back. So I was thinking of going back to the barber's because I can't cut hair well. Before I go, is there anything that I need to do before I go? Should I wash my hair just before? Should I put anything in it? Should I comb out and leave it out? I just want to be prepared and not go in there looking silly.

Briyandra
05-27-2006, 02:57 PM
I can't offer any advice because my cousin trims my hair. However, just make sure you specify how much hair you want cut off (1" etc). I've heard of too many stories where barbers got scissor happy.

fro_real
05-27-2006, 05:22 PM
Hi. Last July, I did the second chop really really short because I wanted to start anew and see how it was to care for extremely short hair. I waited a year to cut off the permed ends the first time.

Anyway, my hair has grown considerably and I really need it trimmed in the back. So I was thinking of going back to the barber's because I can't cut hair well. Before I go, is there anything that I need to do before I go? Should I wash my hair just before? Should I put anything in it? Should I comb out and leave it out? I just want to be prepared and not go in there looking silly.
[/b]
Don't Do It!!! I went to a Barber a week ago to do the exact thing your trying to accomplish...If only I could rewind the hand of time. My hair is messed up!!! I ask the guy to shape my hair because he was highly recommended by someone. I don't know what came over me taking advise and not personally knowing this guy work. Anyway to make a long story short...My hair was worse after he finished it. I can't even do two strand twist now. I literally cried after I got home and called myself washing my hair to get rid of the loose cut hair. Before I left the shop I could see the damage because my hair was packed...but after I got home...washed...and picked what I thought was going to be a nice fro out was not that at all.

I literally burst into tears!!! My hair was three different lengths...Then when I told the guy about it he tried to blame it on the texture and said I should have my hair blown out before I cut it. Yeah right after he got my money. Anyway...a word of advise to you is don't do it unless you truly know this persons work. I would do it myself if I could do it all over again. It's like I'm starting all over with my hair growth...when it does grow back I will blow it out and clip my own ends. I'm sick even thinking about it now! Good luck to you in whatever you decide. I hope I can save you some trouble!

I'm sorry to sound so bitter!

jazzijenni81
05-27-2006, 06:09 PM
i had a similar experience last july fro_real. he blew me out and shaped w clippers. he didnt seem to care about the fact that i have VERY curly hair. when i left the shop, i had a nice fro. when i got home and washed it, i had an uneven boxy high top fade! there were spots where the clippers had sliced into my curls...giving me plugs and a ratty texture! plus it was stiff and wouldnt move. i was so depressed i got an all over fade. i will never step foot into a non latino barbershop. they know that you cut curly hair wet w scissors!

OP, i wouldnt say dont go to the barber, just make sure he shapes your hair w scissors. clippers give a too stiff finish that isnt feminine at all. make sure he realizes that first! as long as you let him know what you want, it will be fine :)

fro_real
05-27-2006, 08:44 PM
i had a similar experience last july fro_real. he blew me out and shaped w clippers. he didnt seem to care about the fact that i have VERY curly hair. when i left the shop, i had a nice fro. when i got home and washed it, i had an uneven boxy high top fade! there were spots where the clippers had sliced into my curls...giving me plugs and a ratty texture! plus it was stiff and wouldnt move. i was so depressed i got an all over fade. i will never step foot into a non latino barbershop. they know that you cut curly hair wet w scissors!

OP, i wouldnt say dont go to the barber, just make sure he shapes your hair w scissors. clippers give a too stiff finish that isnt feminine at all. make sure he realizes that first! as long as you let him know what you want, it will be fine :)
[/b]

I was viewing your damage pics...I had to laugh...not at the damage, but your comments. Everything you said and felt...I felt the same about mine times two. Where do I get the HHB?

lulu
05-28-2006, 07:53 PM

[/b]

So it seems like scissors are the way to go, as well as finding someone who knows what they're doing.

Thanks everybody for your advice.

jazzijenni81
05-29-2006, 02:07 PM
I was viewing your damage pics...I had to laugh...not at the damage, but your comments. Everything you said and felt...I felt the same about mine times two. Where do I get the HHB?[/b]
:P i was going through a thing girl! the healthy hair butter can be ordered from carolsdaughter.com

good luck OP.