PDA

View Full Version : My Job Will Not Let Me Wear A Shake And Go!

MariposaMorena08
05-28-2006, 11:42 AM
I am so...not even angry, but rather disappointed and sadded by the recent turn of events when it comes to my hair. My job, which is teaching at a predominately African-American, private, Christian school, has not allowed more than 7 braids in your hair (none of the braids are to hang down) nor locs. When I got this job, I had a relatively long, natural fro, which I wore in a shake and go or a puff. I relaxed my hair for 1 year and then transitioned. After my BC in February, I have been wearing a sort of Boho shake and go or either a fro.

The problem is this: I wore a shake and go and added gel and went to work like this. Some students (or teachers, who knows) went to the principal and said that I was locing!!!!! :shocker: I could understand ignorance but THEN he came to my classroom in the middle of class to look at it for himself. AND THEN said that I cannot wear my hair like that, I needed to either push it down or pick it out. I was in total disbelief!! I mean really! I have nappy hair that grows East to West and then hangs. I don't recall feelings of anger, but I was completely shocked! I have the pics in my album of my wet shake and go and the dry, matted aftermath. Please, take a look at them and tell me whether my hair looks like locs to you! :rolleyes: Needless to say, I'm looking for another job.

liberationtheory
05-28-2006, 11:46 AM
no!!!!!!! what in the hell???? i say the first thing you need to do is go to your employee contract and then reply back to him with the evidence: what your contract says, documentation of how you wore your hair when you first got there (pics), along with your reviews about how hair was never part of any issue before. then i would casually mention some other suits where employees faced discrimination suits based on it.

i'm sorry but some of "our" ppl disgust me. truly.

icetia
05-28-2006, 11:53 AM
That's awful. I'm sorry you had to go through that. If I were you, I'd probably take a moment to collect my thoughts, then I'd immediately seek legal advice. This seems discriminatory to me and, even though the school has the right to enforce a dress code, it seems like this bylaw has been misinterpreted. I mean, can you really reprimand someone for something that they haven't done yet? How can they enforce the no-locs rule unless you have fully formed locs? Yes, if I were you, I'd be talking to a lawyer right now.

simply natural
05-28-2006, 11:58 AM
regardless of whether you are locing or not its not right for your job to dictate what styles you can and cannot wear. apart from requiring your hair to be neat they have no rights as far as i know. anyway to answer your question your hair doesn't look like locs or pre-locs for that matter lol. im assuming the person or persons who told on you (lol that sounds so high school doesn't it) are ignorant of natural hair. congrats on your decision to find a new job!

Cheleigh
05-28-2006, 12:05 PM
MM:

First of all, your hair is not all matted looking. It looks like a dried shake and go--similar to what mine looks like when it's dry (and I assure you, not at all matted). It's very pretty on you. :)

It doesn't look at all like you are growing locs. Although I don't get what being a private Christian school has to do with locs and other natural hairstyles, I suppose it's the right of the school to decide whatever they want.

However, if I were a PARENT of children at that school, I would like to know about policies like that, because I would raise a HUGE ruckus about it--seriously. I would consider some legal action, even if they are legally okay to make these type of rules, if only to elevate the visiblity (although clearly your future employement at other private schools should be a serious consideration).

:smil3f9cf915b71bf: Hugs to you--I expect better from people--I really do.

butterpecanva
05-28-2006, 12:15 PM
That is so wrong, you need to get some legal advice as the others have said. Hope you find something new though.

MariposaMorena08
05-28-2006, 02:28 PM
Hi, sisters! Thanks for the support! I won't pursue legal action against them for various reasons, but I wanted to put my situation out there so people can see how prejudiced we are against each other. It is the Pastor who set these rules out there, not the administration. He is ignorant when it comes to these things because he seems to believe that if Black people show any significant difference from the "mainstream" (a.k.a. "White folks"), we can seem militant which doesn't serve the cause of uniting Christians. I understand how he can think that but it is STILL backwards as all get out!! There is no point in me trying to align them with any views of mine, as he is very stubborn. HOWEVER, when I have my yearly exit interview, I will be sure to bring this issue up for discussion.

You know, one of the ladies of the church, which I do not attend, told me that dreadlocks are "worldy" as if her perm was what God is happiest with??!! :(

bluvember
05-28-2006, 02:56 PM
:( I get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach thinking that these people really believe that God is this trivial and persnickity to the point that they cannot see that this is what He created us as. What right do they have to change what He has made so. So sad.

nappy chic
05-28-2006, 09:00 PM
This sounds like a (very) bad dream! What does the way that you wear your hair have anything to do with your teaching ability? And the fact that the school is trying to force you to conform only exhibits to the children to become "robots" and not express their individuality. I say run, not walk away from that stifling environment as fast as you can. :angry:

And who the hell is counting THE NUMBER OF BRAIDS in your hair?!?!? :(

hello kitty
05-28-2006, 09:48 PM
My job, which is teaching at a predominately African-American, private, Christian school, has not allowed more than 7 braids in your hair (none of the braids are to hang down) nor locs.
[/b]

this is very unfortunate situation, but.....

maybe the school does not allow locs because they have been long associated w/rastafarians.....i don't think that they practice the same type of christianity (someone correct me if i'm wrong) when i told my mom that i was cutting off the perm....the first thing she said was "oh, just don't get locs" my mom is SUPER religious, so this may be the reason she doesn't like locs....
keep in mind that my mom is natural, but burns her hair & wears kinky twists all the time.

not saying that this policy is right...but this may be their reason for not allowing locs.
http://i1.tinypic.com/v4ovfo.gif

januaryjoy08
05-28-2006, 10:07 PM
And who the hell is counting THE NUMBER OF BRAIDS in your hair?!?!? :(
[/b]

I'd like to know too.

Scribetastic
05-29-2006, 05:51 AM
My job, which is teaching at a predominately African-American, private, Christian school, has not allowed more than 7 braids in your hair (none of the braids are to hang down) nor locs.
I could understand ignorance but THEN he came to my classroom in the middle of class to look at it for himself. AND THEN said that I cannot wear my hair like that, I needed to either push it down or pick it out.
Needless to say, I'm looking for another job.
[/b]

That's just really sad to hear that at a black school there is such ignorance. However, I'm glad to hear you're looking for a new job. They just don't deserve you! I feel for the kids. I think they'll be the biggest losers in this scenario.

Lady-N-Black
05-29-2006, 09:02 AM
Well, I've seen the pictures and it does NOT look like a loc to me at all, just looks like wet curls.

But, what I don't get is why you can't have locs in the first place. A black school........I don't understand some people.

lizzes
05-29-2006, 10:11 AM
But, what I don't get is why you can't have locs in the first place. A black school........I don't understand some people.
[/b]

My personal experience, and that of others, has shown me that other black people are the harshest critics of nappy hair. The conditioning that we were exposed to so long ago has left a lasting impression on so many of our people. We have to be beacons of light to new generations to show them that God made us in his image and there is nothing wrong with our hair, skin, noses, feet, hips, etc. We are fearfully and wonderfully made.

Zanzibardotcom
05-29-2006, 10:23 AM
That's some BS. Hopefully you will be able to find a new job soon. Good luck.

larenee
05-31-2006, 10:50 PM
I am so...not even angry, but rather disappointed and sadded by the recent turn of events when it comes to my hair. My job, which is teaching at a predominately African-American, private, Christian school, has not allowed more than 7 braids in your hair (none of the braids are to hang down) nor locs. When I got this job, I had a relatively long, natural fro, which I wore in a shake and go or a puff. I relaxed my hair for 1 year and then transitioned. After my BC in February, I have been wearing a sort of Boho shake and go or either a fro.

The problem is this: I wore a shake and go and added gel and went to work like this. Some students (or teachers, who knows) went to the principal and said that I was locing!!!!! :shocker: I could understand ignorance but THEN he came to my classroom in the middle of class to look at it for himself. AND THEN said that I cannot wear my hair like that, I needed to either push it down or pick it out. I was in total disbelief!! I mean really! I have nappy hair that grows East to West and then hangs. I don't recall feelings of anger, but I was completely shocked! I have the pics in my album of my wet shake and go and the dry, matted aftermath. Please, take a look at them and tell me whether my hair looks like locs to you! :rolleyes: Needless to say, I'm looking for another job.
[/b]

Ignorance abounds even in an educational setting...hmm... I see what I might have to contend with after I get certified.

Note: I saw the pic and it DOES NOT look like you're locing, not that it matters.

sweetnikki_6
06-01-2006, 07:17 AM
your hair looks great please keep on doing what your doing. Hopefully you will find employment where you are 100% aprreciated from hair to toes. The hair vs the christian is a brutal battle just last night i wasin church and the pastor was talking about looking like a princess to attract your prince. Then he starts with the whole get your hair done do this do that to attract your prince and he is fully looking at me. I am thinking in my head ok but guess what I am not changing a lick about my hair. My so called prince will have locs or a fro just like me and he will not be the guy sitting in front of me with a perm! YEs, I looked at this guy's head and he was fully rocking a perm with finger waves! I was like is he for real? One day I really wanted to get in that pulpit and start preaching about the creeamy crack and the brainwashing. I am sure there are over 1000 members of this church and and 2 date I have only seen 2 naturals not including me! sorry for the rant but just pointing out those of faith are still struggling with some battles so don't be too hard on them.