PDA

View Full Version : Loc's & Dreadlocs?

NaturallyJade
01-08-2004, 11:58 AM
I was chatting with a co-worker and she mentioned they are different. The only thing I can think the distinction might be is;
locs - cultivated
dreadlocs - freeforming/organic

Is there a difference or are they the same?

temari
01-08-2004, 12:18 PM
I was told they were the same.

LotsOfLocs
01-08-2004, 01:03 PM
They are the same. Your co-worker is misguied.

amalah9
01-08-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by LotsOfLocs@Jan 8 2004, 09:03 AM
They are the same. Your co-worker is misguied.
Yep

NaturallyJade
01-08-2004, 01:53 PM
Thanks!
I thought I had read a lot about the history. When she told me that I was puzzled.

MsMack
01-08-2004, 06:23 PM
I've been approached by two people asking whether I have locs or dreads? I have no clue what they were talking about even after asking what the difference was the first time.

marissasensei
01-08-2004, 06:25 PM
They are the same. I use both terms, depending on the audience (i.e., whether I feel like explaining that "locs" = "dreadlocks")

nottyfreedom
01-08-2004, 06:59 PM
yep the same...i call em dreadlocks...but i guess the 'pc' or apple pie term is locs because of the root of the dread story (our hair being dreadful in the eyes of cra- white folks).

notty

cbunny44
01-08-2004, 10:12 PM
I think I understand why some might be puzzled that there is a difference. In Jamaica, where I am from we have Rastafarians, who are a religious people, who believe in alot of things along with not eating pork, shellfish, or combing one's hair, along with smoking ganja 8) . They give praise to Yahweh (descendant of King David in the bible). They refer to their hair as dreds/dreadlocks. But in today's society many have loced their hair, for style, or individual reason, but not for religion. This might be the reason why some believe there is some difference, but also some similarity.

Some Rastas are offended by people who loc their hair for style and not religion, but they are coming around these last days because atleast we are starting to welcome one of their beliefs about not combing our hair, and accepting ourselves.

FYI: I use dreds/locs interchangeable, but when telling my family in Jamaica that I have started the loc process, I am careful in saying locs and not dreadlocks. Otherwise, they'll think I've taken it to the extreme.

Hope I didn't confuse anyone, just referring to the little I know.

Snazzybrown
01-08-2004, 10:57 PM
Interesting.

I do not have locs. But I went to a conference this summer in Texas and some of the women there threw a HUGE fit when people referred to their hair as "dreads or dreadlocks." I know that the poster was probably not inquiring about terminology. But this is the only difference that I know of...... semantics, word derivations and such.

ShekinahSoul
01-13-2004, 02:18 AM
They are the same. But some people do think of dreads as the free form Rasta.