PDA

View Full Version : The big chop??

vinny_46
01-09-2004, 12:42 AM
Hi ladies! I am a new nap, and I have a question about the big chop. I'm considering this to be my second time going natural, since I did it about a year ago, but without guidance--so I went back to relaxing. But now I've found this wonderful site!!
Anyway, when I am ready to do the big chop, is it better to go to a salon, or can you do it yourself at home?? I dread going to my old stylist seeing as she may be vindictive that I will no longer be spending $75 every time I get a touch up relaxer. I'm afraid I'll get a haircut!! Not just removing the relaxed parts.
So, how did you all do it??

Vinny :razz

Ezili
01-09-2004, 12:54 AM
I did the BC myself, using professional scissors. What I did was wet a small (about 1cm by 1cm) section of my hair with a spray bottle, and waited for the hair to become "soaked". I did this becasue the relaxed ends would matt together, and it would be easy to identify the relaxed hair, the scab hair, and the natural hair. I did my best to cut right down to the natural hair. I found 2 main problems with my method
1) When I got to the back of my head, I basically had to feel my hair for the change in texture, so it's really uneven at the back
2) My hair is generally uneven.

I plan on even-ing out my fro during the new moon (to promote growth, I want to see if it will work for me) but I'm not sure if I should so to my scissor happy hair dresser or a barber.

If you choose to chop don't be scared!! Remember what you're in this for!! Good Luck! Don't forget to sign the "Perm no more in 2004" thread! :thumbsup :thumbsup

Nappy4Me
01-09-2004, 12:54 AM
You can try it yourself. You may still end up going to the barber to shape things up for you.

I think a good option may be to find a reputable barber. Then you won't have to worry about "payback" and they can really give you a nice TWA. It can be less stressful that way.

Take some time to think about how you feel first and then go and get it done if that's what you decide. Take your time there's no rush to do the Big Cut

cooliewoolie
01-09-2004, 01:01 AM
Hi! Congratulations on going natural again! :app I actually got my big chop an hour ago! :bis I was afraid, too...I have NEVER had short hair...not since I was a baby. But I cut it to like 3 1/2 inches. I still have about 3/4 inch of relaxed hair on there, but that's just cuz I didn't want to go toooo too short. But it's way cute, much more managable, and I am happy nappy! :-) I think you should go to a stylist, though. I didn't go to my usual stylist, who's cheaper, I went to Bubbles hair salon cuz there's this really nice guy that does hair there, and I knew he wouldn't be catty and cut off more than I wanted. So maybe if you know a male stylist, you can find one! or just find a completely different one who won't be mad that you're puttin them out of a job all of a sudden. Good luck on your chop!!! :d) :cen

buttaflybaby
01-09-2004, 01:01 AM
it's good to do it by yourself first because you'll know what's yours if you watch like i did, but i still have uneven spots. but you can get a stylist you trust that has experience with the natural thing to even you up. good luck God bless

SugaSmacks
01-13-2004, 05:59 PM
1st, let me say You Go Girl!!!! 2nd, I did my own BC @home....w/ no assistance!!! What I did was after shampooing and conditioning, I grabbed a pair of scissors :cen , grabbed a mirror and "studied" where the 2 textures met. Since "she" was wet, I was able to see where I was gonna cut a lot better! As I began to cut, the more I began to see shrinkage...and I loved it :heart !!! Once I was finished, I rinsed again, added leave-in conditioner and styling gel and that was that :thumbsup ! I had about 1-1.5" when it was over of natural hair!!! That was June 28, 2003! Now it's Jan. 13, 2004 and my hair has grown 3-5" (my hair isn't the most even in the world...but you can't tell b/c of the shrinkage :lol )!!

My advice: if you have the patience and a good pair of hair scissors and you can really see the difference of your textures, I'd do it at home on my own. You'll feel so liberated!!!!

That's my $.02!

Lady :rainfro

babygurl
01-14-2004, 03:45 PM
I did mine at home.... after I took out m briads.... had I started chopping... I know I need a professional shaping, but that will have to wait (school just broke me!!!)...... but I really love my hair.... and didn't have a problem cutting it myself...

MSNewbie
01-14-2004, 08:45 PM
Hi Vinny, I guess I will be the oddball. I went to a salon to get my big chop done. I had lady who always cuts my hair to cut the perm off and she did a wonderful job. She was afraid I was going to cry but I didn't. I say do which one you feel most comfortable with. I knew better than to cut my own hair. It would be jacked up royally if I did.

KarmaQueen
01-14-2004, 11:03 PM
I actually had my mom do mine at home. I would say save your money if you have someone to help you out especially with the back.
Ain't nothin to it but to do it!!