PDA

View Full Version : Need good shampoos and conditioners

itel55
01-14-2004, 06:43 PM
The cold weather is doing a job on my dreads. I've been noticing that my dreads are getting hard and shedding a lot, and getting thin. I think that I need a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner to build it up. Does anyone have any suggestions for volumizing and moisturizing my dreads.

Fauryn78
01-14-2004, 06:48 PM
You really don't need a conditioner... I usually make my shampoos. I (like many of the loc heads in here) use Dr. Bonners castille soap as a base.

For moisture in between washings I just spritz my hair with water and oil. (almond or jojaba) and I try to keep my hair oiled...

aquababie19
01-14-2004, 06:58 PM
you could try a hot oil treatment.

itel55
01-14-2004, 07:08 PM
Fauryn78 said "You really don't need a conditioner... I usually make my shampoos. I (like many of the loc heads in here) use Dr. Bonners castille soap as a base."

Could you share a couple of shampoo recipes with me? Thanks

LotsOfLocs
01-14-2004, 07:45 PM
Leave the conditioner alone.

ShekinahSoul
01-15-2004, 04:15 PM
My new hot oil blend works great. I use olive and safflower and jojoba oil. And I do the hot oil treatment twice a week verses once a week.

marissasensei
01-15-2004, 04:21 PM
I like the Aveda Sap Moss shampoo, though it is a little $$$.

I would avoid thick conditioners. Consistent hot oil treatments may very well give you what you're looking for, without the risk of buildup.

Also, how is your diet? Are you drinking enough water? Getting enough EFAs (essential fatty acids?