PDA

View Full Version : Black Hair Industry

vlyons
06-16-2006, 07:30 PM
When I went to the Black Owned Beauty Supply Association websight, it contained a sample of the dvd. The dvd shows how the Koreans are dominating the Black hair industry. It also show how Black beauty supply owners are being put out of business because the Koreans refuse to sell their products. The Koreans tell them that their products are no longer in demand, but they don't tell them that Koreans copies are made and placed in prominent places in the stores. The beauty supplies are in business ONLY because African-Americans shop there.

It is frightening how we are making ourselves unemployed while making other races rich. Everyone should purchase and see the dvd and boycott the Korean stores. Imagine the impact we would have if we joined together on this issue.

B_Phlyy
06-16-2006, 07:57 PM
I saw a clip of a documentary from another site about this same thing. That's why I try to buy most of my hair products from black owned or operated beauty supply stores or mega chains. It seems that the White man told black women that they need all those perms, irons, and weaves and now the Koreans are selling it to us.

choconillaprincess
06-16-2006, 08:31 PM
well they say there are three sides to every story... one person's the other's and the truth... sounds like it's kinda bias to me

vlyons
06-16-2006, 09:00 PM
I purchased the dvd and talked with some beauty professionals. The dvd confirms that the largest supplier or beauty supply products will not sell to Black beauty supply stores. It also stated that many companies, which we thought were Black owned have been sold to Koreans.

I have seen women swarm one beauty large upply in Chicago. They probably earn $1 million a month or more. The women go to the salon there and purchase everything there while receiving some terrible treatment from some employees. The Black owned supply stores are struggling.

Camilah
06-17-2006, 02:34 AM
I have seen women swarm one beauty large upply in Chicago. They probably earn $1 million a month or more. The women go to the salon there and purchase everything there while receiving some terrible treatment from some employees. The Black owned supply stores are struggling.
[/b]
Yeah, a new, bigger one opened down my high road, and there's already a small black-owned one about 1 block down. I tried it out though, and was confronted with aisles upon aisles of skin bleaching creams and weave. Hardly anything decent to put in your natural hair, and the place is tended by some asian men. I was basically going around like :huh: coz I couldn't really believe people were still allowed to sell that bleaching stuff, until this black lady comes in with a scarf tied on her head buying weave. You knew she thought her hair was too bad to be seen in public without the weave in. All I could see was the asian man showing her the long, blonde, wavy hair and that did it for me - I will not be going back in that shop again.

SoFrolushes
06-17-2006, 03:34 AM
i have seen this docu
its on you tube and there are 4 parts if you watch it on you tube. bosba website is really good aswell
in the uk we have the same problem instead of koreans we have asian indians and pakistanis who dominate the black hair industry in the uk
there was a big riot in birmingham recently

vlyons
06-17-2006, 07:37 AM
Why was there a big riot in Birmingham?

Napia Mia
06-17-2006, 08:26 AM
This is the second time this topic has surfaced in the hair discussion forum. It got moved to the Cultural Forum. Don't be surprised if this one gets locked. Here's the link to the other thread.

Black Hair Documentary The Korean Takeover 4 Parts, Something to Ponder (http://www.napturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=78390)

I took the time to watch the video, which is broken up into 4 parts on YouTube (or whatever it's called); it was quite fascinating and very distrubing. Don't think it was at all biased, in fact the narration sounds like it was done by a white guy. I'm doing some big time assuming here, but I THINK it was produced by white folks...not sure why I got that impression so I could really be wrong. But anyway, I've lived in several larger cities (e.g., Columbus, OH, Cleveland, Washington D.C. and Chicago) other than Omaha, which is where I'm from, and all are over saturated with Asian-owned black beauty supply stores. And, the situation is the same in Omaha as well.

Here in the big O (ok don't laugh), though, these days, you'd be hard p.ressed to know that Mid K is Koran-owned. :doh n...light bulb! The K stands for Koren. Just realized that when I wrote Mid-K. I knew they were asian, but until I saw the documentary just a couple of days ago on the Internet, I didn't know what ethnicity. Man! I have ALWAYS wondered what the K stood for. Betcha no one else know what that K stands for either. I'ma ask around.

Anyway In Omaha these days, Mid-K fronts with all black employees. They have three locations on the North side. They barely speak English, they appear rude...although I think some of this is cultural...so, now you only deal with black folk up front. But hey, why not...they sit back in the office and roll in the $$$$$$$.

EVERYone runs to Mid-K's...even me. To my knowledge, there's only One black-owned hair supply store left in the city with a very tiny inventory that's incredibly over priced. Mid K on the other hand has a humungus (sp?) inventory and no one...not even Walmart, Sally or Walgreens can beat their prices. The super store location even has a hair salon. And all sale urban clothing and other items which appeal specifically to black folk. There's one other Korean-owned store in the city called Lee's. Maybe that's short for Lekwan or something. Always wondered about that too.

It has always bothered me to shop in these stores, but if you want to find something, you always check with those two stores first cause chances are they have it at the best price. It's so sad but true that everyone can figure out how to capitalize off of us, but us.

If you haven't watched these videos, they are a must see.

GalaxyGirl2012
06-17-2006, 09:47 AM
so you guys dont think the black business also wont be peddling the 24" french refined wet and wavy in platinum blonde? i dont shop at those stores anymore cus there isn't anything i can use on my natural hair and i wouldnt buy anything from a black owned business that sold the same products cus i still cant use them. so im already boycotting :lol:

by the way, join us over here:
http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=78234

Sunshine2177
06-17-2006, 12:41 PM
WOW interesting topic.

I have ALWAYS wondered how is it that Asians can come over and "dominate" this area of business when the customers are almost always Black. I always wondered how come Blacks don't start thier own beuaty supply stores....espeically when I hear so many women complain about the type of service they recieve in these establishments. I will definitely have to view the tape.

vlyons
06-20-2006, 12:52 AM
so you guys dont think the black business also wont be peddling the 24" french refined wet and wavy in platinum blonde? i dont shop at those stores anymore cus there isn't anything i can use on my natural hair and i wouldnt buy anything from a black owned business that sold the same products cus i still cant use them. so im already boycotting :lol:

by the way, join us over here:
http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=78234
[/b]

Thanks for supplying access to all four parts of the video. Now others can see what I have been complaining about for years.

Although I have nothing against women who prefer extensions, I could not buy into the notion that my own hair was not enough. The fact that many women buy packs and packs of kankelon is what has kept Korean beauty supply stores in business. We need to return to supporting Black-owned businesses exclusively.

Price should not be the only factor for purchasing any merchandise. Of course, the Black-owned beauty suppliers cost more - they have smaller inventory and do smaller volume. However, if we begin shopping exclusively at these stores, the stores can stock more merchandise, and prices will become more competitive. BOBSA sells beauty supply products on their website. Support your own people and create more wealth in your own communities.

quelinda
06-20-2006, 01:24 PM
You know what was interesting is when I went into a Korean owned hair store the owner is very pertcular about who shops there. If you are not an afirnacn american women he doesn't want you in the store. Case in point, There where some white guys that came in wanting to buy fake hair for a gag they wanted to pull and he pressured them out. Another day others came in and he made the point that the store was for African American women only, the products where for us and it should only be us that had the right to purchase.

I thought it very odd..........especially seeing that he was not an African American?!?

soshic83
06-21-2006, 12:51 AM
I loved the documentary on how Koreans are taking over the beauty supply stores in black neigborhoods. It educated me, and now I understand that I can do my part by making my own products or buying products on line that I know are black owned and produced. I just wish that more black people would start owning businesses and making that money.

The narrarator of the documentary was Henry Louis Gates Jr. or Skip who does a lot of good docus on African American culture and society. He is of African descent.

Peace two fingers.
:afro: