PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of milk

feepee
01-15-2004, 03:40 PM
So I'm trying to live a natural healthy life. I've started working out regularly and being really picky about food. I try and research the things I eat and drink to determine what I feel is most healthy for my son and me.

I'd heard some things about milk. And at first figured it couldn't be that bad. But monday, while surfing the net on the subject, I ran across a few sites and was shocked and disgusted at what i found out about milk. I've since stopped drinking it. And my son hasn't had milk since Tuesday, but keeps asking for it.

So my question to you ladies is, what other milk type drink can I ween him off of cows milk with? I want him to be healthy AND happy. I've been telling him 'no milk' and just giving him juice or water. We drink only 100% real fruit juice at my crib. and I make him real fruit smoothies as well. But my son has always liked milk. But that stuff messes with both of our digestion. He gets diarreha and i get constipated.

Is there a particular brand or type of soy milk that small children (or an grown woman like me) may like? What about rice milk? I'd appreciate any help or advice.

rockinlocs
01-15-2004, 04:17 PM
Hey Feepee,

Well, I'm in the same boat as you! My girls and I love Soy Dream Vanilla soy milk, but my son prefers Silk brand (which I personally don't care for)

Thankfully, my household doesn't drink milk as a beverage...only for cereal, so that's not much of a problem.

But you can also try rice, oat, and nut milks as well.

If you buy (not)milks from your local grocery store, be prepared to pay more for it. But if you can find a wholefoods store in your area, try them for possibly lower prices.

Try one of each type of "milk" to see which one you and your son like best. I am going to invest in a soymilk maker - http://www.soyajoy.com - and start making my own milks. I think I will lean more toward nut milks because I don't want to over do it with soy.

Oh, and if you want an enriched milk alternative, you can find some that are enriched with the same vitamins that cow's milk has (Soy Dream has both enriched and original soy and rice milk available)

Be aware also that some brands (such as Silk) have an ingredient called Carageenan that is said to be not so healthy: http://www.notmilk.com/carageenan.html
http://www.annieappleseedproject.org/carandcolcan.html

mrandmrsmer
01-15-2004, 04:36 PM
I think I'm going to invest in that soymilk maker! Thanks for the link!

rockinlocs
01-15-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by mrandmrsmer@Jan 15 2004, 12:36 PM
I think I'm going to invest in that soymilk maker! Thanks for the link!
No prob!

You might also wanna check this out: http://www.vegtv.com/Soy/soy_17.htm

feepee
01-15-2004, 06:01 PM
thank you rockinlocs! i know there are a number of whole foods stores around here. not sure where. but i'll search for some.

i was thinking of getting small containers of different stuff to try. someone once told me chocolate soymilk is good... any truth to that?
and how is that stuff in cereal? my son likes dry cereal as a snack and i like it as a snack but with milk. is there a particular non-cow milk that is good in cereal?

feepee
01-15-2004, 06:06 PM
note to self: avoid CARRAGEENAN

thanks for the info. keep it comming!

FemmGranGwav
01-15-2004, 06:33 PM
We were drinkin Silk Soy at first (you can a 3pack at Sam's Club) but then I moved up North and couldn't find a Sam's Club. So now we drink WestSoy (buy it from Trader Joe's). Trader Joe's has some great prices!!

rockinlocs
01-15-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by feepee@Jan 15 2004, 02:01 PM
thank you rockinlocs! i know there are a number of whole foods stores around here. not sure where. but i'll search for some.

i was thinking of getting small containers of different stuff to try. someone once told me chocolate soymilk is good... any truth to that?
and how is that stuff in cereal? my son likes dry cereal as a snack and i like it as a snack but with milk. is there a particular non-cow milk that is good in cereal?
You're quite welcome!

Well, as I mentioned, I prefer Soy Dream Vanilla in my cereal. I mean, I LOVE cereal and to me, that particular brand of soy milk enhances the flavor of my cereal. It just tastes good to me. I've never been one to drink the milk after the cereal is gone even when drinking cow's milk; but with THIS, my bowl is CLEAN!

Try it and see if you like it. I usually get the ones in the box you find on the shelf as opposed to the refrigerated kind. It has a shelf life of one year prior to opening it.

If you decide on it, just be sure to shake well before each time you pour some.

There's a place I found online that has a 3-pack of Soy Dream (in all varieties - soy, rice, enriched and original) for $3.39 or something like that. So, if you go to your local store, try a box and like it, it may be a deal to get it in the 3 pack from here on out and you can stock up on it!

Here's the site where the 3-packs are sold: http://www.villageorganics.com/orsoyricbev.html

I haven't tried the chocolate variety yet.

feepee
01-15-2004, 07:16 PM
rockinlocs, i'm loving u right now. are you vegan? if so, what prompted you? or have you always been vegan, if u are?

personally i'm not vegan because i still eat fish, and cheese. But i think after a while i may give cheese up too. or maybe i should start another thread on this?

rockinlocs
01-15-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by feepee@Jan 15 2004, 03:16 PM
rockinlocs, i'm loving u right now. are you vegan? if so, what prompted you? or have you always been vegan, if u are?

personally i'm not vegan because i still eat fish, and cheese. But i think after a while i may give cheese up too. or maybe i should start another thread on this?
A dear sister to me said I was a "meat-minimalist" :razz

I am not vegan. I am weaning things out...transitioning if you will.

My goal/desire is to completely eliminate all dairy, meat, eggs, processed foods, white sugar, flour, etc. from my diet.

I have not been 100% yet, but I am slowly incorporating healthier alternatives. For example, I am about to purchase a blender and food dehydrator to help with eating more raw foods.

I am going to start buying EnerG Egg replacer (or other substitutes such as flax) in the place of eggs in recipes. I really don't care for eggs cooked anymore, so that's not an issue.

I switched the cow's milk to soy but eventually want to try nut milks and maybe rice. BUT...there have been occasions where I or my husband have purchased cow's milk. When we do, we try to at LEAST get organic.

So, I haven't totally arrived at where I'm headed, but in my heart and soul, I know what I want to do and I'm aiming for it.

It's just gonna take converting my whole kitchen cupboards and refrigerator to the healthier things a little at a time.

Right now, I've been doing some store/price comparisons to see where to get the best deals on what 'cause eating healthy is kinda costly especially for a family of 6!

We'll get there, though!

What prompted me to DESIRE to be vegan or raw foodist is just a pulling/tugging in my spirit to do so. It just feels right. Also, I have learned so much about what this food is doing to us. Blacks have the worst diet in the world (those who eat the B.A.D - Black American Diet - you know...the good 'ole SOUL food!)

It's funny, I was on this raw foods group for people of color...there was this post that someone made and it made reference to the original "Soul Food" movie. She was saying how she noticed that during that movie, they always ate those foods. Then, when Mama Joe got sick and had to have her leg amputated, all they said was that she needs to cut down on her salt and sugar. Not once did they make a connection to her sickness and all that "good 'ole soul food" they were cooking and eating.

I thought that was so interesting and the thing is...it's the truth!

I have many family members, friends and inlaws who are like "Mama Joe". They really enjoy eating and eating all those (as my friend calls them) "death foods", yet, they are constantly in pain, constantly in the doctor's office, constantly popping prescription pills and constantly sick.

My grandmother has to get dyalisis every week AND she has diabetes; my aunt has "sugar" and had to have a full hysterectomy when she was only in her 30's; my mom just found out a few years ago that SHE has "sugar"...I could go on and on. But the bottom line is, I have to break this cycle not only for myself, but for my children.

They say things are "hereditary" and I say yes they are if you continue the same kind of diet that your people before you ate.

I have to break away from that "sickness cycle".

Sorry to have been so long-winded. But that is what has prompted me to make a change in my eating.

feepee
01-15-2004, 08:37 PM
oh, please do not apologize. i'm transitioning myself as well. i just want to make my life the best i can. same for my son.

my fam is pretty good about it, but i think sometimes they make too big of a deal (or joke) about my food choices. i had a big dinner at my house last sunday. everyone was tripping cuz they didn't think i'd allow meat or thought i was some kind of militant vegetarian. it's not like that at all. i don't bother trying to force this on them. just like with the natural hair, they see what wonders it does for my hair and now they are transitioning. i think once they see the benefits i'm reaping of a healthier diet they may follow.

this past summer was pretty rocky for me, and just when i was getting to the point of depression i just turned it around and said i'm gunna be happy and healthy. Because i realized i have control over that. i first started with joining the gym. started eating more healthy stuff. I rarely eat out now. i even stopped ordering cheese pizza, which i love! So i'm trying to eliminate things i feel i can do without, but replacing them with good tasting healthy alternatives so i don' t feel like i'm missing out.

i'm also trying to do sufficient research on everything so that i'm not just doing stuff cuz someone says. This drives me to continue this journey toward healthy living. i'm also making changes in my spiritual journey.

all this is making me stronger and happy, so i'm gunna keep it up.

i really appreciate all your advice. i keep this little notepad by my desk to jot stuff down, so i can remember. and i print out stuff as well.

*excuse any typos* :razz

CocoaButterflyy
01-16-2004, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by feepee@Jan 15 2004, 01:01 PM

The chocolate soymilk is good... one day I was craving chocoate milk so I picked up a container of chocolate silk soymilk and it was fabulous, really rich and chocolaty and I am soo not a chocolate fan

I only use soymilk in cereal and to me its great I don't drink it straight up. With my neice and nephew they prefer the vanilla flavored soymilk for drinking and plain for cereal

feepee
01-16-2004, 02:52 PM
CocoaButterflyy, i picked up some soy dream vanilla last night and tried it with my cereal this morning. it was ok. a different taste than i'm use too. my son hasn't tried it yet. i think i might get some plain soy milk to see how that is on my cereal.

i just want it or cereal and for my son to drink. i'm a stickler for ingredients now so i'm always reading up on it. is it possible to get chocolate without dairy milk in it? just wondering. i've never been a fan of chocolate milk and i don't think my son ever had it. so i prolly wont get that unless he hates the vanilla soy.

BTW i went to the local Whole Foods store, love it! i even picked up some mahi mahi and talapia fish. yummy! and i finally found some aloe vera gel. they got great kids vitamins too. my son thinks it's candy! and the prices were reasonable to me at least. i'll definately be going back!
thanks for all the tips ladies. if ya got any more, let me know

rockinlocs
01-16-2004, 08:00 PM
Hey Feepee,

Yeah, keep trying different brands and you'll find one that you prefer over others.

I can tell you now that NONE of them will taste like dairy milk. I had to keep that in mind as I did my "taste testing". They will all have some kind of "nutty-type" taste to them. Even with your almond milks. I tried one brand of almond milk and it was pretty good...still not cow's milk.

Just try and in your mind, think of yourself trying a different and new beverage...not "milk".

Then, it may be easier for you to adjust to the taste of soy (or other non)milk.

You may like Westsoy or EdenSoy. I particularly didn't care for those and found Soy Dream to be my choice as far as soy milks go.

Which ever brand you try will take some getting used to, though.

Try getting used to it by perhaps making smoothies or shakes with it first (frozen banana or other frozen fruit w/soymilk and any other ingredients you want) and perhaps that will be a better way to introduce you and your son's tastebuds to a "different" kind of "milk".

But, glad you found and loved your local wholefoods store!

I fell in love with the one we go to as well...so much to choose from...I felt like a kid in a candy store! :lol

As for chocolate, you can find cocoa that doesn't have any dairy in it OR, you can try carob powder or carob.

PoetiklyFroed
01-16-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by feepee@Jan 16 2004, 08:52 AM
BTW i went to the local Whole Foods store, love it! i even picked up some mahi mahi and talapia fish. yummy! and i finally found some aloe vera gel. they got great kids vitamins too. my son thinks it's candy! and the prices were reasonable to me at least. i'll definately be going back!
thanks for all the tips ladies. if ya got any more, let me know
I have enjoyed this thread and I'm glad you found a whole foods store in your area. I'm still looking, but I won't give up! I wanted to address the part where your son thinks the vitamins are candy; please be careful with him thinking this because he may get a hold of the "candy" and thinks its okay to eat it. I'm just looking out. I hope you can find some cow's milk alternative that he may enjoy!
Thanks Rockinlocs for the info.. I'm going to check my Silk Soy milk and see what's up.
-Froed

feepee
01-16-2004, 09:58 PM
PoetiklyFroed- girl i'm almost obsessive compulsive about child-proofing my home so viatmins are kept high in the kitchen. Good looking out! I try to explain to him that it's not candy (but he's only 2...).

matter of fact, i keep all candy and sweet stuff out of sight and high up. out of sight, out of mind ya know? so he has to ask and i can determine when and how much he gets. he's got easy access to fruits tho *wink*

rockinlocs- you are right on with the smoothies. i invested in a blender about a month ago. I love it. (i seem to love everything) I use fruits, apple juice and sherbet to make 'em. they are yummy. and this morning i poured a little of that soy milk in to see if i'd taste a difference. not really. the pinapple cancelled it out! but that is definately an option. my son likes the smoothies so i'll try different combos of that.

*you guys are great, i love the support here*

i just don't know anyone personally who will even take this meatless, milkless thing seriously. glad i can come here and get so many great ideas. sniff.. ok, i promised myself i wouldn't cry! lol

CocoaButterflyy
01-16-2004, 10:03 PM
I agree with what rockinlocs said it will never have the "milk taste"
The best thing to do is buy little boxes of the different brands and try them out.

Also if you are drinking a soy milk with Carrageenan just do the research on the companies site to see if they use food grade or degraded carrageenan. Food grade is the one that is safe and all the research that says carrageenan is bad was referring to the degraded type.

Also with the chocolate milk I did the same research... for example looking for a chocolate milk I found that silk soy uses roasted cocoa beans and there is no dairy involved

one last tip look on the label and see if it says no gmo's (genetically modified organisms) because some companies use genetically modified soybeans

I'm a fan of silk and occasionally eden soy

have you tried nut milks like i.e. almond or ricemilk?

rockinlocs
01-16-2004, 10:21 PM
i just don't know anyone personally who will even take this meatless, milkless thing seriously. glad i can come here and get so many great ideas. sniff.. ok, i promised myself i wouldn't cry! lol

I feel you on that! Which is precisely why there really aren't any people offline who know what I am embarking upon! My mama near cussed me out when I told her I didn't eat pork and beef anymore...she'd probably shoot my pancky toe off if I told her NO meat and NO dairy (and eventually, no cooked foods)! :lol

Folks don't need to know everything you're doing. Wait until you're like FULL force into it and even then, you don't owe anyone any explanations.

My husband and kids are really the only people in my life who know and thankfully, they're supportive.

But my family and my inlaws...ESPECIALLY my inlaws...I just leave them guessing and hanging when it comes to decisions I make 'cause they wouldn't understand at all.

So, yes, we can be a support to one another. :blab

tdhayes
01-20-2004, 02:11 AM
Rockin'locs- You are the BOMB!!! THanks for the info!

Feepee-
I drink SunSoy and I love it! I buy it from Walmart down here in Atl. I'm doing pretty good with my diet but I'm transitioning in a sense also. I've been a vegetarian for almost 5 years, I gave up ALL dairy (including products with casein) this year...I've also stopped eating refined sugar, white flour, white rice, white pastas. My goal is to eat at least 75% of my foods raw. I'm working on saving money to purchase a food processor and a juicer. I'm noticing that my "taste" for multi-grain breads is waning which is a good thing. I still eat brown rice and I just bought a wok to stir-fry some veggies (I'm going to try it with water though because I'm not big on oily stuff)...I'm getting there slowly...

lilkinkyc
01-20-2004, 05:50 AM
Finally someone else uses Sun Soy. That is really the only kind that I buy. I too get it at Walmart here in Dallas. Last week Kroger had Silk on sale buy one get one free, and I hadn't been to Walmart yet and it was cold so I decided to try it. I can say that it is alright. If I had to I would buy it again, but I love me some Sun Soy.

feepee
01-20-2004, 03:56 PM
hello ladies!

tdhayes- i might have to try sunsoy. i admire your dedication to healthy living. i tried brown rice once and i didnt like it. so i can't see giving up white rice. although i don't use sugar in my food (i opt for honey) i do indulge in candies for my sweet tooth. trying to eat it in moderation tho. BTW water works just fine with stir fry. that's what i use for that type of frying. otherwise virgin olive oil for other dishes. do u use fresh veggies or frozen? i use frozen for stir fry. but i'm finding myself enjoying fresh veggies more and more.

CocoaButterflyy- i'm staying away from Carrageenan as far as food goes. i noticed it as an ingredient in my aloe vera gel as a thickening agent. so far i'm seeing only good results with regards to my skin and hair, so i think i'll limit it to that. do u have any sites for info on this ingredient? the info i got was from notmilk.com
and i'm gunna make another trip to Whole Foods this week to try some rice or almond milk

rockinlocs- my son still refuses to even taste the stuff in the box. it's kind of funny. he hasn't been asking for milk tho. so that's a good sign. and i've decided to kinda keep stuff to myself about my new lifestyle. i see it as a lifestyle change. eliminating things i see as toxic. i did reveal to a good friend of mine that i'm no longer drinking milk. and she brought up the fact that she feels like we were lied to. about milk being good for your body. i told her we ARE being lied to!

in some ways i wanna hide the fact that i only eat fish and don't drink milk because folks act like something is wrong with me. being from a fam that has roots in the south, we were use to eating pork chops and ham hocks, food filled with salt and fat. but i was telling my sis that the fact that we don't even know what killed our grandmother when she was only 30 (before we were even born) concerns me.

wow, no cooked foods? that would be a hard one for me. i actually would like to eventually go vegan, but i'm trying to do things gradually so that i don't fall off the wagon later. i feel i really need to do this for my son. right now he still eats meat. in our home it's limited to some turkey deli meat. he likes that as a snack sometimes. i'm debating if i should cut all meat except fish as i do. i think it may pose a problem when it comes to daycare tho. but he just started a new one today and i'll speak with the lady about his diet. for now i told her NO MILK!

>>ok, kind of a long one but i like this dialogue<<

tdhayes
01-20-2004, 07:26 PM
Thanks Feepee-
I agree that the brown rice is probably an acquired taste...I got used to it...then again, I&#39;d never really cared for rice before unless it was in something else that I was eating...go figure. I went to a veggie restaurant in Atlanta (Veggieland) this weekend and was in heaven. This restaurant has no animal products, no dairy, no sugar, no cholesterol...It&#39;s the bomb...even the tofu cheeseless cake was GREAT!!!! (gotta find a recipe for that one too)! I&#39;m trying to eat healthier and to exercise. As for veggies, I gave all of my frozen veggies away because I just didn&#39;t eat them (my family made out like bandits!)...I use the fresh veggies...sometimes I waste those too because I forget to vacuum seal them and I don&#39;t use them in time... :o(

As for your son, you may want to give SunSoy a try. My sister and her family weren&#39;t big on soymilk until I convinced them to give it a try...that girl now drinks the SunSoy chocolate milk for dessert...*shaking my head*....gotta love my folks :-) :-)

feepee
01-20-2004, 08:24 PM
on a couple other threads (forgive me i do not remember where) there was mention of dangers of soy. and i was glancing thru SELF mag this weekend and a letter to the editor mentioned the previous issue had a story about the dangers of soy.

http://www.soytoy.com/soydanger.html <<waddaya think?

so i&#39;m wondering about other beverages for my son besides just water, and juice.

ok so there is rice milk, almond (sounds kinda good)... i can make him the real fruit smoothies. Has anyone had luck with juicing veggies? it just sounds kinda gross to me. but never tried it.

feepee
01-20-2004, 08:28 PM
also found this about rice milk http://www.soytoy.com/

>>Rice milk is delicious, but it&#39;s devoid of nutrition.

To drink ricemilk is to drink "starchy" water.

You can easily make your own rice milk. Instead of
steaming (white) rice, boil it. Two cups of white rice
in ten cups of water for about 20 minutes yields one
quart of rice milk. Add vanilla and sweetener to taste

**so this makes me wonder again, what&#39;s the point of eating white rice? it&#39;s like a filler. although i love my jasmine and coconut rice, i&#39;m not really getting any nutritional value.

i may need to start a new thread for brown rice recipies.. tdhayes, any suggestions for this?

tdhayes
01-21-2004, 01:39 AM
Girl, I&#39;m just getting started...I would welcome some brown rice recipes....

As for the juicing of veggies, you may want to shoot BrownSugaDIVA a pm...she&#39;s loving her juicer!

rockinlocs
01-21-2004, 02:01 AM
Feepee, about that article (I can&#39;t get into to view it right now) but I remember reading it once before. Didn&#39;t the guy mention something about soy being bad when it&#39;s been processed and stuff (like the soy "meat" products, etc.)?

As for brown rice, I had to get used to it too. One thing I do to get my family to eat brown rice and not complain is to make fried rice with it.

Olive oil in a skillet or wok, cut up some green onions and saute&#39; along with some bean sprouts (and whatever other veggies you want)

OH and remember the rice should be COLD...so, make it early in the day and refrigerate it to be used at dinnertime (or make it the night before and refrigerate)

Add the cold rice and add soy sauce, garlic or garlic powder and I sprinkle a little ginger sometimes for that "oriental flare".

All of those seasoning ingredients are to taste. You won&#39;t need salt with that soy sauce!

Stir and allow to cook and keep checking on it as not to burn/scorch it.

My kids LOVE it and ask for seconds and sometimes thirds.

But basically, I am learning to season my brown rice because I still don&#39;t care for the hearty, nutty taste it has.

So, sometimes I will add some garlic powder or onion to give a different flavor.

feepee
01-21-2004, 03:21 PM
ok, thanks for the info ladies!

*note to self, print out rockinlocs recipie for fried rice cuz my mouth is kinda watering right now*

ok, got a meeting to go back too. just checking in cuz i know my girls had some info for me! luv yall! will be back soon. I hope...

blufaerie
01-28-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by lilkinkyc@Jan 20 2004, 05:50 AM
Last week Kroger had Silk on sale buy one get one free, and I hadn&#39;t been to Walmart yet and it was cold so I decided to try it. I can say that it is alright. If I had to I would buy it again, but I love me some Sun Soy.
I remember that sale.......My daughter hates Silk. She said it tastes funny. But she likes 365 from whole foods. They had another kind of soy milk at Kroger that I received a checkout coupon for( something 8???) I need to make sure the carageenan is ok in it....

Gosh....I love this board!!!! :bubble

blufaerie
01-28-2004, 08:37 PM
Rockinlocs......I noticed you use soy sauce...Have you ever tried Braggs? Its a soy based sauce as well, tastes like soy sauce, but has more amino acids and vitamins and less sodium in it. They sell it at Whole Foods.

PowerPuff
02-04-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by feepee@Jan 15 2004, 11:40 AM
I&#39;d heard some things about milk. And at first figured it couldn&#39;t be that bad. But monday, while surfing the net on the subject, I ran across a few sites and was shocked and disgusted at what i found out about milk.

What&#39;s wrong with cow&#39;s milk? :huh

tdhayes
02-04-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by PowerPuff+Feb 4 2004, 11:35 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PowerPuff @ Feb 4 2004, 11:35 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-feepee@Jan 15 2004, 11:40 AM
I&#39;d heard some things about milk. And at first figured it couldn&#39;t be that bad. But monday, while surfing the net on the subject, I ran across a few sites and was shocked and disgusted at what i found out about milk.

What&#39;s wrong with cow&#39;s milk? :huh [/b][/quote]
PLENTY!!! Not good for the body. Go to NOT MILK (http://www.notmilk.com)

Humans are the only mammal that consumes another species BREAST milk after the age of 2 AND it has NO benefit!!!

PLEASE go check out that website and educate yourself. All of those "Got Milk" commercials have to do with MONEY and NOT HEALTH!

feepee
02-04-2004, 05:31 PM
PowerPuff-- please please check out the link tdhayes provided. may change ya forever!

hey rockinlocs!!! i made that fried rice this weekend, but i used this rice my nigerian friend got me, she says it&#39;s good for fried rice. it&#39;s not brown rice, may try it later. but anywho, that mess is good!!! next i&#39;m gunna try that taco recipie.

carrolina
02-04-2004, 06:16 PM
thanks for the link tdh, i need to show that to my milk-lovin mama.

tdhayes
02-04-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by carrolina@Feb 4 2004, 01:16 PM
thanks for the link tdh, i need to show that to my milk-lovin mama.
No problem...I try to help folks when I think I can...

ChocolatChaud
02-05-2004, 11:54 PM
Does anyone make their own almond milk or nut milk? I no longer want to drink soy and rice milk is a little to starchy for me. I have a recipe for raw almond milk that I will be using tomorrow morning.

feepee
02-06-2004, 02:15 PM
hey everybody!!! Good news. My son asks for milk by name, but he&#39;s referring to Soy Dream Vanilla soy milk. He wants it with his cereal. He still doesn&#39;t ask for it by itself, which is fine. But I&#39;m happy he likes this milk.

Thank you for all your help and advice!!

tdhayes
02-06-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by ChocolatChaud@Feb 5 2004, 06:54 PM
Does anyone make their own almond milk or nut milk? I no longer want to drink soy and rice milk is a little to starchy for me. I have a recipe for raw almond milk that I will be using tomorrow morning.
be careful with the raw almonds and nuts in general...WASH THEM FIRST!!!! this cuts down your risk of Salmonella infection!

As for a recipe, check with Rockinlocs.

ChocolatChaud
02-06-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by tdhayes@Feb 6 2004, 09:16 AM

be careful with the raw almonds and nuts in general...WASH THEM FIRST!!!! this cuts down your risk of Salmonella infection!

Oh....I guess I will remember to wash them next time....whoops.... :-? I made some almond milk this morning and it was delicious!!! Only problem I had was that I was really sleepy and clumsy this morning and I spilled like 90 percent of it all over the place!!!! :doh The 10 ounces I managed to salvage was quite good and tasty. I used the recipe from rawtimes.com

1 cup almonds(soaked overnight)
4 cups water

Then I blended it all together with 5 dates(pitted).
I plan on making some more tomorrow morning, hopefully with no mishaps! 8)

feepee
02-13-2004, 04:59 PM
ok, think i found a winner!!! Original flavor Rice milk from Soy Dream. Son likes it alone or with cereal. I must say it&#39;s great with cereal cuz it doesn&#39;t over do it with taste. Haven&#39;t tried it in my cornbread yet...

tdhayes
02-13-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by feepee@Feb 13 2004, 11:59 AM
ok, think i found a winner!!! Original flavor Rice milk from Soy Dream. Son likes it alone or with cereal. I must say it&#39;s great with cereal cuz it doesn&#39;t over do it with taste. Haven&#39;t tried it in my cornbread yet...
Congrats!!!! Where do you buy your Soy Dream milk? Is it the kind in the refridgerated section of the store?

feepee
02-13-2004, 08:16 PM
tdhayes- nope i don&#39;t get the refridgerated kind. i think only cuz rockinlocs reccomended the carton on the shelf. i still gotta chill it tho in the fridge before drinking.

as fate would have it, they got a whole organic section in Cub foods now with the exact same stuff as whole foods, same brand. of course it&#39;s just one aisle (sp?) but it&#39;s got the little bit of stuff i buy. so it works for me. plus it&#39;s cheaper!

good2uuuu
02-14-2004, 03:47 AM
I am so glad I drink soy milk. I also give it to my kids. I went to the Not Milk site. YUK! Hubby still won&#39;t give up his skim mik though. I need to work on my cheese love. My son is also a cheese head. I gotta look into soy cheeses. Anyone know of any good ones? Now my real weakness is ice cream. But that&#39;s a whole nother thread. At least I don&#39;t eat it often. But I will need a substitute.

tdhayes
02-16-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by good2uuuu@Feb 13 2004, 10:47 PM
I am so glad I drink soy milk. I also give it to my kids. I went to the Not Milk site. YUK! Hubby still won&#39;t give up his skim mik though. I need to work on my cheese love. My son is also a cheese head. I gotta look into soy cheeses. Anyone know of any good ones? Now my real weakness is ice cream. But that&#39;s a whole nother thread. At least I don&#39;t eat it often. But I will need a substitute.
I can&#39;t really help you with the cheeses because all of the soy cheeses that I&#39;ve seen STILL have casein in them and that&#39;s a milk protein that also works well in the production of glue.

As for the ice cream, I eat Rice Dream ice cream and it&#39;s pretty good. I get it from Kroger grocery stores in GA.

feepee
02-17-2004, 02:32 PM
good2uuuu- i eat whole fruit Sorbet and it&#39;s delicious!!! sooo good. a little expensive. i also make my own fruit smoothies. i just buy a bunch of fruit and freeze it. use some apple juice or soy milk and blend it. my son LOVES it. you can put you own protien or fiber in there. honey also works well for taste. i also use sherbet (not to be confused with sorbet) in my smoothies. I noticed that the cheap sherbet i get for my smoothies contains some milk products. so i&#39;m trying to see if i can find something that&#39;s cheaper than the sorbet but without milk products.

i still eat cheese on occasion. still haven&#39;t tried any soy cheese but it just sounds kinda gross to me.

Curlicious
02-17-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by tdhayes+Feb 16 2004, 07:39 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tdhayes @ Feb 16 2004, 07:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-good2uuuu@Feb 13 2004, 10:47 PM
I can&#39;t really help you with the cheeses because all of the soy cheeses that I&#39;ve seen STILL have casein in them and that&#39;s a milk protein that also works well in the production of glue.

As for the ice cream, I eat Rice Dream ice cream and it&#39;s pretty good. I get it from Kroger grocery stores in GA. [/b][/quote]
There&#39;s a soy cheese that I&#39;ve only heard of that good. It&#39;s called Vegan Gourmet. I can&#39;t get it in my area but supposedly it&#39;s pretty tasty and casein free. I don&#39;t remember the name of the company that makes it, but it&#39;s the same people that make Veganaise. Maybe Food for Life, or something like that?

Natural Kinks
02-23-2004, 02:02 PM
@t.d. hayes - What is Sun Soy? How is it different from soy milk?

tdhayes
02-23-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Natural Kinks@Feb 23 2004, 09:02 AM
@t.d. hayes - What is Sun Soy? How is it different from soy milk?
Sun Soy is a brand of Soy Milk that I buy from Walmart. I alternate now between Sun Soy and Enhanced Silk which has Omega-3 FA&#39;s. I get my Silk from Kroger. They also carry Rice Dream in the refrigerated section.

I sent you an email...actually 2...let me know if you get both of them please mam...

Natural Kinks
02-23-2004, 02:21 PM
Yes I got them Ms. T.D. :) . Thanks for looking out. You ladies have started something for real. I was very content (and ignorant looks like) with my skim milk and increasing my veggie intake while reducing my fat and sugar intake but now...my goal is not lose weight (trying to hold on to what I got other than needing to lose some stomach) but just to be healthier.

tdhayes
02-23-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Natural Kinks@Feb 23 2004, 09:21 AM
Yes I got them Ms. T.D. :) . Thanks for looking out. You ladies have started something for real. I was very content (and ignorant looks like) with my skim milk and increasing my veggie intake while reducing my fat and sugar intake but now...my goal is not lose weight (trying to hold on to what I got other than needing to lose some stomach) but just to be healthier.
You&#39;re getting there. Healthy living begins with applying the knowledge one has attained...

eri
02-23-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by tdhayes@Feb 23 2004, 09:05 AM

Sun Soy is a brand of Soy Milk that I buy from Walmart. I alternate now between Sun Soy and Enhanced Silk which has Omega-3 FA&#39;s.

is that enriched silk as nasty as the regular? i&#39;ve had original and vanilla, and i can&#39;t stand either.

tdhayes
02-23-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by eri+Feb 23 2004, 03:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (eri @ Feb 23 2004, 03:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-tdhayes@Feb 23 2004, 09:05 AM

Sun Soy is a brand of Soy Milk that I buy from Walmart. I alternate now between Sun Soy and Enhanced Silk which has Omega-3 FA&#39;s.

is that enriched silk as nasty as the regular? i&#39;ve had original and vanilla, and i can&#39;t stand either. [/b][/quote]
Actually, I think it tastes better...it&#39;s not as thick as the original or vanilla....

new2naps
03-15-2004, 01:34 AM
I have been drinking 8th Continent Chocolate soy milk and I like it a lot. The light version with Splenda is good too.