PDA

View Full Version : Help- Am I Going To Have To Start Over?!

its_nappy
06-18-2006, 11:17 AM
I got my hair flatironed in January- It was the bomb- my hair was swinging all ova the place! Actuallly made me miss my CFC days! I wore my hair straight for about 3 weeks- even in humid florida, by flatironing it myself w/ the ceramics every other day in the beginning and every day for the last week as it started to "go back." NOW I am left with areas where my hair is just straight- I am thinking I may have heat damage since it hasn't reverted in 5-6 months (I only burnt it out one other time sice then). I am afraid that I may have ruined my natural and may need to start over- which will be difficult- this is year 3 and I have quite a bit of hair. Right now- I can't do anything with it- I get a nice curl definition with certain products- BUT NOT EVERYWHERE! It's like the perimeter (where the most damage is) looks good while the middle acts like it's supposed to (Like a real afro!).
DOes anyone have any suggestions- it is possible to bring back heat damaged hair?

spiral
06-18-2006, 11:31 AM
Hun, I'm sorry, but if some of your hair has been straight for 5 to 6 months and still hasn't reverted - it's done! You're gonna have to transition or chop. Maybe you can start by just clipping off the straight peices and see how your hair looks. Hopefully you have stopped flat ironing -if not, you will continue to inflict damage on it. Read the post on heat that Dee has pinned at the top of this forum. I'm sorry this happened to you three years in, just consider it a lesson learned.

soblu2
06-18-2006, 11:33 AM
you 'll be in that sticky on heat damage...
Unfortunately there is no way to have your hair back to "before state"

You'll have to start or at least gradually cut the straighten hair off
sorry

LBellatrix
06-18-2006, 11:33 AM
It's a lost cause. Cut it off. Don't worry. It will grow back. :)

kysses2
06-18-2006, 11:34 AM
I mean you knew it was bound to happen by flat flaming hot tool of hair torture your hair everyday with heat, or every other day, What were your reasons for going natural? I see that you like your hair swinging, but there is an archive at the top of this section about heat damage and I read it, but I see that people will read it and then go burn their hair straight and then get upset when it doesn't curl back.

But I guess you wanted a different look, or you want straight hair without the chemicals? But all in all I guess you will have to start over, or it might curl back up later, But I am sure you will get some sound advice on what to do.
Good Luck and don't use that flat flaming hot tool of hair torture anymore LOL!!

RecoveredPermie
06-18-2006, 11:40 AM
Yep, just what everyone else said, you can add yourself to the list Heat Damage (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showforum=53)

Try deep conditioning it multiple times :dunno:

Only advice I can offer: STAY AWAY FROM THE HEAT!!