PDA

View Full Version : Lap Tops

Poetic_Butterfly
06-18-2006, 02:08 PM
Hi Ladies,

I am interested in buying a new laptop. My laptop that I loved recently died, and I have to purchase a new one. If you guys have any suggestions on laptops that have good memory and reasonably priced let me know!

Peace,
Rasta

sonshinescoils
06-18-2006, 09:28 PM
here's a link to a helpful thread: http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.ph...51036&hl=laptop (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=51036&hl=laptop)

some of the info may be a little old (apple has phased out the ibook and powerbook. they now present the macbook and the macbook pro--www.apple.com for more info.

here's a list of threads on related topics:

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.ph...highlite=laptop (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?act=Search&CODE=show&searchid=a0ab2e2a9dbfe1506af237cc83b14010&search_in=titles&result_type=topics&highlite=laptop)

i use an apple ibook (G4), with my eye on the new macbook :D

hope these help :)

Poetic_Butterfly
06-19-2006, 10:54 AM
Thanks,

I will check out some of the threads and compare.

Peace,
Rasta

sharynleigh
06-19-2006, 12:23 PM
I would suggest going to Dell and Gateway's websites. dell.com gateway.com

You can call a sales rep and they will help you configure a laptop based on your budget and needs. I personally prefer Gateway's customer support though.

Poetic_Butterfly
06-19-2006, 09:19 PM
That is a great idea to call Gateway and Dell. My old computer was a Compaq and I loved it.

Peace,
Rasta

hyphenunderscore
07-03-2006, 07:45 AM
i'm not sure about how it stacks up, but i have an ibm thinkpad and it works quite nicely. i've had it for a year now, and no problems yet! :)

ashta
07-03-2006, 11:01 AM
Here are some links to pcworld and cnet. they have an extensive buying guide that doesn't focus on any particular product, but on what to look for and what is best for you...

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/bguide/0,guid,13,00.asp

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7602_7-1016082-1.html?tag=dir

Jaide
07-05-2006, 05:10 PM
I recommend the Dell Inspiron series. I have two ( 700m & the 8100?)

nappysurgeon
07-11-2006, 09:57 AM
Get a Mac. If you are in school or work for a school, you should be able to get a 10% discount on a PC or a Mac. Check with your bookstore.

Cinnamon42
08-02-2006, 05:13 PM
Toshiba is the way to go for me.

BlakStaar
08-02-2006, 10:21 PM
Rasta, what do you want to use your lap top for? Work, school or both?

If you plan to communte with your laptop, then you'll want something light (>6 lbs.)

Other factors to consider are the warranties and services offered, RAM, Hard drive space, processing speed, battery life, screen size, durability and the keyboard set-up.

If you're a designer or into photography, you'll want a laptop with above avg. graphics.

Do you watch a lot of videos, DVDs on your laptop? Do you use some type of music software? If so, check into the media specifications.

How often are you on your laptop? Do you need a work-horse because you use it for personal and business use and multitask? or do you need something with average performance for checking email, occasional web-surfing and editing photos?

No need to answer these questions, I'm just throwing them out there so you'll know what to consider when buying a new notebook. It might also also members make appropriate suggestions.

Cnet, consumer reports, google and pcmag are good recources. Check the weekly circulars to see what's out there and what they're going for.

Edited to Add: PRICE!!! How could I forget that. How much are you willing to spend?

detshorty05
08-05-2006, 12:52 PM
Just my 2 cents...don't get a sony vaio. The tecnology is amazing but the volume is really low

Poetic_Butterfly
08-06-2006, 02:49 PM
Thanks for that tip. I really like Compaq Presario my last lap top was that brand. I felt so bad when it died!!!

Peace,
Rasta

Cheleigh
08-06-2006, 09:18 PM
After spending most of this weekend researching notebooks, for my needs, I am deciding between
Fujitsu and IBM/Lenovo. I had a Thinkpad with Intel PIII that survived drops, spills and other tragedies. It also was a workhorse for 6 years (with only minor upgrades), only being retired because last month the second drop on hardwood cracked the screen. :(

I'm leaning toward the Fujitsu because of features plus price. I also like the build quality on Fujitsus. But IBM is not yet out--it is a great product and very sturdy. Both models I'm looking at are considered very durable.

I've heard good things about Compal and Asus(tek) as well.

gr2006
08-07-2006, 06:20 AM
After spending most of this weekend researching notebooks, for my needs, I am deciding between
Fujitsu and IBM/Lenovo. I had a Thinkpad with Intel PIII that survived drops, spills and other tragedies. It also was a workhorse for 6 years (with only minor upgrades), only being retired because last month the second drop on hardwood cracked the screen. :(

I'm leaning toward the Fujitsu because of features plus price. I also like the build quality on Fujitsus. But IBM is not yet out--it is a great product and very sturdy. Both models I'm looking at are considered very durable.

I've heard good things about Compal and Asus(tek) as well.
[/b]

just wanted to throw in yet another name - lesser known though.

ACER is an excellent value for the money. i own one now - this is my second. first one was destroyed in our house fire last year and after shopping around for a replacement - i decided to get another but one with a bit more upgrades.

Poetic_Butterfly
08-08-2006, 05:08 PM
I want something compatible for both work and school. I think that I have to really sit down and think about price, memory, look of the computer. I've seen some really nice looking notebooks and I am having trouble deciding but I think it will be awhile before I make my purchase. I just know for me a lap top is a priority in my life. Thanks ladies for all the advice.

Peace,
Rasta

MissCandy2U
08-15-2006, 11:51 AM
I understand how you feel about laptop shopping...I been looking and researching for almost ayear, because i have to get the money together...but im have been looking more at toshiba, and dell, I love mac computers, but i know icant afford them...good luck...hopefully i will be getting my new laptop this month....