PDA

View Full Version : Im Comingout..

joy1112
06-18-2006, 09:04 PM
At long last, I am making a stand against wearing wigs and scarfs to cover my alopecia. I am now 16 months loced and have been ashamed to show my hair in all its glory until now. I have traction alopecia (self inflicted) which I would describe as severe., but I try to remain optimistic and adapt my styles to suit. My temples are filling in but very slowly . I have pics showing progress but to be honest there isnt much improvement. All the same, Im enjoying embracing the real me. Anyone else coming out of hiding???

gr2006
06-21-2006, 12:38 PM
At long last, I am making a stand against wearing wigs and scarfs to cover my alopecia. I am now 16 months loced and have been ashamed to show my hair in all its glory until now. I have traction alopecia (self inflicted) which I would describe as severe., but I try to remain optimistic and adapt my styles to suit. My temples are filling in but very slowly . I have pics showing progress but to be honest there isnt much improvement. All the same, Im enjoying embracing the real me. Anyone else coming out of hiding???
[/b]

i'm not loced or planning to be - just wanted to send some :wub: to you.

moniqy
06-21-2006, 02:30 PM
Just wanted to say CONGRATS!!! Show your glory, share some pics.

joy1112
06-21-2006, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the support and :wub: ladies, It really means a lot, especially during those "feeling sorry for myself" days. As for sharing pics... :unsure:

gr2006
06-21-2006, 07:38 PM
days. As for sharing pics... :unsure:
[/b]

I'll "come-out" too joy1112:

http://i6.tinypic.com/156emuc.jpg

well i'll share one of mine my son took about 2 weeks ago.

front part of my head is in cornrows - the mid-upper right part causes alot of problems since it's so difficult to cover and the skin here differs so much in color (pink) from the rest of my scalp.

i don't have any pics of my twists just yet but i wind up having to put 3 flat twists in this particular spot. i'll start the flat twist go over the patch and finish it off on the other side of it. usually the thickness of the hair manages to cover. it works ok but i constantly worry that my spot will show or keep asking my family if it's showing :(

.........at times i wish i could just not care and really really REALLY mean it it's sooo hard.

joy1112
06-22-2006, 04:34 PM
I know exactly what you mean gr2006. :wub: :hug: It would be so nice to go out and relax without having to worry about whether anybody can see your bald or thinning areas. I have had this continuous worry that my wig :afro: will be blown off :( and I will be left chasing my wig down the road followed by howls of laughter. :lol:
Thank you for disclosing this pic, you have now given me courage enough to share my pics also. You have been blessed with wonderfully thick hair, and im sure you are using its thickness to your advantage. You must continue to see this as a positive attribute. Will post pics as soon as I figure out how to go about it :rolleyes:

naturally_nappy_red
06-30-2006, 05:19 PM
i dont know if i could relate to any of u guys but i kinda know wut u mean. i been natural for about a year and sum, but i been havin bald spots around the temples since before i went natural. it becomes embarrassin when i do my two strand twist over and my hair is so fresh that u can see my parts...and this includs my bald spots. But think about it, sometimes its really not that bad. Its only bad becuz we know the spots are there so i learned that the key to success is patience. Besides i find that my hair grows better when it can air out. SO GET FREE GIRLS!!!! Even thought my hair is growing in slowly, its growin and thats all that matters.

so anyway, i wish yall the best! just do what u do best...just be u & remember i luv yall.

gr2006
06-30-2006, 06:34 PM
i dont know if i could relate to any of u guys but i kinda know wut u mean. i been natural for about a year and sum, but i been havin bald spots around the temples since before i went natural. it becomes embarrassin when i do my two strand twist over and my hair is so fresh that u can see my parts...and this includs my bald spots. But think about it, sometimes its really not that bad. Its only bad becuz we know the spots are there so i learned that the key to success is patience. Besides i find that my hair grows better when it can air out. SO GET FREE GIRLS!!!! Even thought my hair is growing in slowly, its growin and thats all that matters.

so anyway, i wish yall the best! just do what u do best...just be u & remember i luv yall.
[/b]

i wish this forum didn't exist cause that would mean no one would be going through this mess. OTOH, thank goodness it does since i believe only those who've walked the walk can really understand.

you have a wonderful way of laying it out natural_love - thank you!!

:wub:

honeyhoney
07-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Thank heavens for this forum!

To GR2006 thanks so much for sharing your picture. My spot is very similar to yours, maybe slightly wider, although it is now growing back, which causes a new set of problems.

Its so comforting to know you're not alone...

joy1112
07-02-2006, 11:23 AM
I suppose you could say this is my best side :( This pic was taken late last year so my sides have improved somewhat since then. Ill post updates soon.http://www.msnusers.com/iiq37lbvk0b96id0hor9dnvog3/Documents/Pictures/IMAG0006.JPG

vibchil2
07-07-2006, 12:17 AM
[/b]

My bald spot is what prolonged my transition, but I finally just said enough is enough. My aunt was like, girl you cut a little bald spot in your hair when you cut it but it still looks okay. :lol: If she only knew, my bald spots were self imposed from years of scratching in the middle of my head.

joy1112
07-07-2006, 02:09 PM
What happened to my pic???? :dunno: