PDA

View Full Version : sisterlocks, what do you think?

Onelove25
01-15-2004, 07:18 PM
Hi, I was wondering what sisterlocks wearers think about them or if you know someone who has them. I just went to a sisterlocks consultation and am thinking about starting them. I just have a few questions/concerns. :smug They are very small, which I kinda like, but I have a very bountiful head of hair and am concerned about how long maintenence will take. Also, since they are small will they be more prone to breakage? I also just have concerns about locks in general because my scalp is prone to itching and dandruff when I wear breads and was just wondering if this will be mangeable with locks. I would appreciate any comments or feedback about sisterlocks as this is a big decision to make.
thanks and lots of love.

blkbyrd0302
01-15-2004, 07:59 PM
Lockitup@yahoogroups.com

Check out this group for sisterlocks and brotherlocks wearers. You can get answers to your questions there.

marissasensei
01-15-2004, 08:02 PM
Here's a direct link to the Lock it up site:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/LockItUp/

Also, check the archives on this board.

To answer your questions, I started my sisterlocks almost 11 months ago (whew, time flies!). So far, so good.

Re: size & maintenance, I also have a lot of hair and most of my locks are done in the "large" size, and at this point, they're maybe a little bigger than a mouse cord in diameter. I think that for folks with thick/lots of hair, they usually advise not getting the small or micro-sized SL so as to avoid the lion's mane effect. I don't think SL are that much more fragile than other kinds of locks--yes, the base is smaller, but the way the locks are retightened reinforces the strength so that they're not as fragile as small locks that are maintained by twisting at the roots, for example.

My initial locking session took about 15 hours with two people working on my head. Thankfully, the retightenings are much shorter. I've been to a couple different consultants, and the retightening sessions range from 2 hours to 5.5 hours, depending on the consultant's speed, the amount of new growth I have, and the number of people working on my head.

Re: dandruff, etc. I think that those things can be problematic with locs because there's a risk that the dandruff or other scalp gunk will get imbedded in the locs. What kinds of products are you using on your scalp? Have you tried the apple cider vinegar rinse?

Onelove25
01-15-2004, 08:58 PM
Thanks so much for the information on the yahoo group. I'll have to look into the size issue more because at my consultation she told me that I would have to the in between the small and medium siza and that because of my texture I really couldn't do the large size??? To tell you the truth, I have heard of the apple cider vinegar rinse, but have not tried it yet. The sisterlocks consultant that I went to told me not to worry about dandruff and it almost seemed like she was just trying to get me to agree to do it without really seriously addressing my concerns.

marissasensei
01-15-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Onelove25@Jan 15 2004, 12:58 PM
I'll have to look into the size issue more because at my consultation she told me that I would have to the in between the small and medium siza and that because of my texture I really couldn't do the large size???
:-? I've never heard that hair texture had anything to do with the size of the locs, only the specific locking pattern used. You may also want to post this question over at LIU, since there are a number of consultants that post there. If you don't feel comfortable with the consultant you visited, by all means shop around. If you decide to get SL, you'll be making a sizeable $$$ and time investment, so you might as well be comfortable with and feel confident about the person doing your hair.

Ree-C
01-15-2004, 10:05 PM
I will be Sisterlocked on Saturday (1/17). I did about four months of research on it b4 I made my final decision. I am also a member of LockItUp and they were very helpful w/ all my questions, I made a list of questions to ask at my consultation. If u weren't comfortable w/ that consultant, there is a full list at the Sisterlock website. I would suggest just having another consultation w/ another one. As far as size, I hear of some females who want a larger size, just get brotherlocks, which is the larger ones. Not sure of remedies on dandruff/dry scalp.

Diamonique
01-15-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by marissasensei@Jan 15 2004, 04:10 PM
:-? I've never heard that hair texture had anything to do with the size of the locs, only the specific locking pattern used.
Yeah... it does. The smaller the lock size, the more volume you'll get. So if you already have a lot of volume, you don't want the smallest size locks because that'll really give you "big hair".

As for the dandruff. I can see this several ways:

1) Your consultant may have been right to tell you not to worry about it. So many times our scalp problems are caused by the use of the wrong products, i.e. hair grease and stuff like that. These things coat the scalp, clog the pores, and don't allow the scalp to breathe or to moisturize itself...so you end up with drying and flakiness. So maybe when you start taking proper care of your hair and scalp, the problem will go away. It's happened that way for lots of people.

2) It could be the braids that are drying and breaking your hair. Some people have an adverse reaction to the extensions.

3) Maybe you do have a problem, and the ACV rinse might help. Using proper hair products is probably the key, though. Throw away the grease and start using natural vegetable oils like olive oil, almond oil, jojoba oil, etc. Use on wet hair.

If you decide to get Sisterlocks, you won't be using any oils or moisturizers on your hair for awhile, so it's a good idea to nail this problem down before you start. You don't want to have flakes building up in your locks.

-- Diamonique

marissasensei
01-15-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Diamonique+Jan 15 2004, 02:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Diamonique @ Jan 15 2004, 02:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-marissasensei@Jan 15 2004, 04:10 PM
:-? I&#39;ve never heard that hair texture had anything to do with the size of the locs, only the specific locking pattern used.
Yeah... it does. The smaller the lock size, the more volume you&#39;ll get. So if you already have a lot of volume, you don&#39;t want the smallest size locks because that&#39;ll really give you "big hair".
[/b][/quote]
I understand what you&#39;re saying, but I was referring to the texture of the individual hair strands, not the quantity or fullness of all the strands. The OP&#39;s consultant said that based on the OP&#39;s texture, she would recommend a certain size. While I know texture (degree of coarseness, curl/wave pattern, etc.) is taken into account when deciding which pattern to use, I&#39;d always been told that the size was dependent more on the hair density and, to a lesser extent, the customer&#39;s preferences and lifestyle.

Onelove25
01-16-2004, 08:22 PM
[quote]Yeah... it does. The smaller the lock size, the more volume you&#39;ll get. So if you already have a lot of volume, you don&#39;t want the smallest size locks because that&#39;ll really give you "big hair".

Well I do have a lot of hair and I don&#39;t want to end up with really "big hair". That is strange the she would tell me this I think. I might have to shop around for someone else. Oh by the way thanks for all your ideas and insight. :heart

NewLocs
01-16-2004, 11:15 PM
I was concerned about the flaking when I was first interested in SL, but I took the plunge anyway. I got my locs on Nov 19 and have not had ONE flake.... it was mos def the products I was using.

Currently I use only the SL starter shampoo....no conditioner, oil or anything else.

Good luck to you.

shuaia
01-17-2004, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by blkbyrd0302@Jan 15 2004, 07:59 PM
Lockitup@yahoogroups.com

Check out this group for sisterlocks and brotherlocks wearers. You can get answers to your questions there.
you will definitely have your questions answered here. it&#39;s agreat site for sl wearers (as well as other loc styles).