PDA

View Full Version : I crochet/knit too tight

mrstwisty
01-16-2004, 11:04 PM
I always crochet or knit too tight. My projects get messed up, then I get frustrated and stop. Any suggestions? TIA

kianga
01-17-2004, 04:38 AM
I have the same problem. I found that I have to use a hook one or two sizes too small. Also, I have to take a few deep breaths before I start so that I'm relaxed. I noticed that if I'm tense I hold the hook for dear life and my stitches are too tight. :rolleyes

I haven't tried following a project with a set guage in awhile for that very reason-I get to the end and I'm pissed. :mad But if changing the hook size and relaxing doesn't help. You might want to try figuring out how to modify the pattern so that you can do it even with your tight stitches.

HTH!

mrstwisty
01-17-2004, 04:38 PM
Thanks Kianga, I will try that.

LBellatrix
01-18-2004, 01:24 AM
This is why all the experts say you MUST do a gauge swatch BEFORE starting a pattern. That way you can do what you need to to get the gauge you're supposed to get.

Most patterns will tell you what the gauge is supposed to be (stitches/rows, in pattern stitch). Do a 4" x 4" swatch using the yarn weight and needle size recommended, then measure the swatch to see if you hit the gauge. If you have too many stitches, use a larger needle size; too few, use a smaller needle size.

Doing a gauge swatch ahead of time has saved me a lot of stress. HTH...

Sherman
01-18-2004, 07:38 PM
relax..eventually you learn to relax the hands...and then the stithing is still left "crisp" yet pliable.

mrstwisty
01-19-2004, 04:13 PM
Thanks ya'll. I never thought gauges were necessary, but now I see the need for doing them. It just seems like waist of good yarn. But I guess in the long run, it will save me time and aggrivation. What do you do if the pattern does not give gauge details? :huh

QueenLocks
01-23-2004, 06:17 PM
I never did a Gauges! don't really see how it helps, but my stitches are never too tight. My Tip: Don't make your holes too tight when pulling yarn through....

LBellatrix
01-23-2004, 11:30 PM
Gauge helps for those items for which size is important. For example, if you're making somebody a sweater, and you have their measurements, you want to make sure you're going to hit or come close to the gauge provided in the pattern in order for the sweater to fit properly.

Yeah, you could block the pieces to fit (if they're too small), but then you risk stretching out the yarn.

I don't usually do gauge swatches for hats or scarves. They are what they are. :lol But for sweaters or tops, I definitely do a swatch.

Shellashel, when I finish a swatch, I don't cut the yarn loose unless I'm required to block the swatch before measuring. So it's not necessarily a waste of yarn. BTW...it's always better to have too much yarn than not enough yarn, because that way you know you'll have enough to finish. Most knitters (myself included) have a "stash" of leftover yarn with which you can make other (small) stuff. :)

Depending on where you buy the yarn, if you have whole skeins or balls left over after completing a project, you may be able to return the surplus to the store.