PDA

View Full Version : Hair extensions

wanna-b-nap
01-17-2004, 01:27 AM
I am so new to this and i have finally made the decision to go natural. I was thinking of just getting braids until my hair becomes natural but i was reading that braids are dangerous. Is this true because i really don't look good with short hair and i am real patient but if the braids are going to damage my hair, what should i do???? :huh
I hope that i am not babling too much but i am so tired of my hair. my life :offtopic ........Sorry.
Anyway, I hope that i can get some help without people thinking that i am crazy. :-cre
:doh

RealBeautyTT
01-17-2004, 01:50 AM
Braids actually help to grow hair. When you don't take them out the right time and don't handle them properly then there's damage.

AngelNappy
01-17-2004, 06:22 AM
YEs braids grow your hair, but like RealBeauty said if they aren't handled the correct way they can damage your hair. Also if the person braiding your hair is braiding it too tight it can pull out your edges, but they do grow your hair

naturalhairlover
01-17-2004, 06:44 AM
Braids are an option. Just remember not too tight, not too small, and not for too long. Follow the rules about deep conditioning in between braid styles and also giving your hair a rest in between. Good luck and congratulations on your decision to grow out your natural hair!

blakpearl
01-17-2004, 07:03 PM
I agree with the other posters. Just make sure that whoever is braiding your hair knows what they're doing. Because if it's done too tight or if they pull on your hair while parting it, yes, it may cause some damage. I transitioned with braids and micros and it helped to grow my hair faster.

Good luck :thumbsup

FoxyLox
01-17-2004, 11:41 PM
ITA w/ not wearing braids too long, not having braids done too tightly, and not having braids too small.
If you decide braids are the way to go, make sure that you keep your hair clean and moisturized, as extensions can be drying to your natural hair. Good luck!

Saundus
01-18-2004, 09:39 PM
Just to add to what has already been stated, if your hair is already damaged go ahead and get a good trim. If not, you may lose more hair when you take your braids out.

Natural Kinks
01-20-2004, 08:53 AM
Braids are an excellent way to transition however there COULD be potential damage (particularly the edges) depending what YOUR hair can take and stand. I would recommend having this area in particular not braided as tight as the rest. Even have a little new growth - an eighth of inch or so. It won't be as neat but it is well worth it. Once you have the worn the braids once then you gage how strong your hair is against them. No more than eight weeks at a time and give yourself breaks in between braiding. Braids do not grow your hair out but the rate at which hair grows is the rate at which hair grows and this varies from person to person. What they do allow is for you to retain your length because you are not manipulating your hair at all during this time and are able to keep those ends. If you do not moisturize properly though while your hair is in braids then you will LOSE those ends from dryness. Sta-sof-fro is an excellent spray to use on braids. Good luck!

carlaw78
01-20-2004, 11:55 AM
if your hair is weak or if you aren't good at taking braids down or don't have patients....STAY AWAY FROM MICROS. But other braids are good , just like everyone else said, don't keep them in for over 2 1/2-3 months, condition and moisturize, and while the person that is braiding your hair is doing it, don't be afraid to speak up and tell them that it is to tight....GOOD LUCK

Dolliesdaughter
01-20-2004, 06:15 PM
Braids do not grow hair. Your hair grows because you are not manipulating your hair every day. You can do the same thing with twist or just wearing a natural. Over manipulating is what breaks your hair off.

feepee
01-20-2004, 09:38 PM
i agree with these ladies. not too tight and not too small is the key. don't try to run those braids in the ground either. i braid hair and if u want some more detailed advice on upkeep then u can PM me. u gotta know how your hair reacts to stuff cuz i can only tell ya what works for me, or my clients. but what i always tell folks is that u still have to take care of your hair, even while in braids. the only easy thing about braids is that it's typically easier to style every morning.

>>a few questions...
-what kind of braids ya want?
-type of hair?
-length? this matters cuz u don't want heavy long hair pulling at your roots (some hair is lighter than others/again pm me and we can go over options)
-who's gunna braid it? (professional or bootleg-like me lol.)
-what style u going for?

u gotta consider these things before ya do it. or u may end up with a horror story to share. i wish ya the best and remember u can always pm me! ~peace~

Venetter
01-21-2004, 01:51 AM
Only my sister and I put in my twist extensions, thus my hair was handled with care (and the process was free!)

The twists/nonmanipulation (thanks Alken!) really grew out my hair and were 100% easier to remove than braids.

Just make sure to moisterize and make sure you handle them with care.

BTW, I kept mine in for about 3 months at a time and the twists still came out well. Just use lots of conditioner when combing out the knots and they'll detangle easily! (and I have very thick 4b hair).

sharynleigh
01-22-2004, 02:55 AM
ITA with Venetter

I wore twist extensions for over a year and my hair growth was amazing because I did nothing to my hair except wash as much as I wanted. I kept my twists for 3 months each time and they always looked great. I think this is one of the gentler extension styles.