PDA

View Full Version : learning how to do your own hair

kinkytwists1
01-17-2004, 02:26 AM
I want to learn how to do my own hair because I can't always afford to go to the salon. What simple styles should I start off with practicing that are easy to learn?(twists, braids, cornrows, flat twists, knots, etc.) How many minutes a day should I practice them, and how long should it take for me to perfect the style? If I practice on a doll or someone else's head will that help? The reason I'm afraid to do my own hair is because I have to go to school, and if i do some twists and my hair looks a mess, what am I going to do? That's why I wish my hair was longer (it's like 4inches), so that I can put in a puff or something if I can't style it. Anyways, thanks for the help.

Shaunie
01-17-2004, 03:19 AM
I think twists are probably the easiest to start off with. I was really put off by the thought of doing my own hair for almost 2 years; I didn't think I'd have the patience to sit and twist for however long it would take. But, I did try it in the fall and I just gave myself a whole saturday to experiment....it took me about 3 hours to twist my whole head, and it turned out great! If you use a twist butter and twist your hair wet, it should turn out neat and you won't have to worry about school. HTH, Good luck!

sapphire
01-17-2004, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by kinkytwists1@Jan 16 2004, 10:26 PM
What simple styles should I start off with practicing that are easy to learn?(twists, braids, cornrows, flat twists, knots, etc.) How many minutes a day should I practice them, and how long should it take for me to perfect the style? If I practice on a doll or someone else's head will that help?
My question to you is how patient are you? :lol
That matters to me cuz lord knows I don't have the time nor the funds to go to a hair salon when I need a style. Some people pick up on things faster than others. I picked up flat twisting in no time, each time I did it it only got better. I know how to braid but I just don't have the patience to practice on my hair (cornrowing that is), I'm afraid I might rip it out! :lol

Trial and error girl, try different things and see what works for you. It might be a good idea, if that's how you really feel, to practice on a doll. But the only thing about that is, I don't think you'll find a doll that matches your hair type (especially if you have multi-textured hair). The key here, I feel, is getting used to working on your hair.

I hope that helped and wasn't more of a sensless ramble. :-P

kinkytwists1
01-18-2004, 01:16 PM
thanks you guys. i think i'm gonna try to twist my hair today. i'm gonna give myself 3 hours to do it. if i finish under a hour, that means i went to fast and it probably looks a mess (which usually happens, lol) so i will slow down and re do it. wish me luck!

Shanna
01-19-2004, 02:02 AM
Twists are definitely the easiest thing to do. If you have 4 inches of hair though... you should be able to make some kind of puff though. I've been puffing for a few months and my hair is about that length.

saga30311
01-19-2004, 02:41 AM
Twists & puffs definitely easiest - you should be able to pick either up pretty quickly.

As far as timeframe - practice & patience with self makes perfect. I used to get frustrated, 'cause my styles weren't picture perfect. However, I learned over time that I'm too hard on myself in judging how well I do my own hair. People complimented me on days that I thought I'd done a piss-poor job of it.

Good luck :thumbsup

ETA: 4 inches should be long enough for a puff. Just set it higher on your head.

blckqueen
01-19-2004, 05:30 PM
Does anyone know how to create really fancy styles. I have long locks, but still tend to pull them back in a ponytail (I waited sooo long to do that...)or else I'd just wrap it up. Since Valentine's Day is coming up, I'd like to do something special.

Mrsdawsondn
01-19-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by blckqueen@Jan 19 2004, 01:30 PM
Does anyone know how to create really fancy styles. I have long locks, but still tend to pull them back in a ponytail (I waited sooo long to do that...)or else I'd just wrap it up. Since Valentine's Day is coming up, I'd like to do something special.
blckqueen If you go back to the main topic of this forum Nappturality Community Forum and go down to the onkine photo galleries there are some pics in there of some hairdo's with locs that will knock you socks off :shocked beautifull loc pictures as well as other pic. It had me looking at locs in a whole different light although I never had bad thought about them but it just opened me up to see how creative you can be with the locs.

And also kinky twist you should check that out too there are alot of nice styles to check out on that page. both freeform natural styles and locs.

blckqueen
01-19-2004, 06:03 PM
blckqueen If you go back to the main topic of this forum Nappturality Community Forum and go down to the onkine photo galleries there are some pics in there of some hairdo's with locs that will knock you socks off :shocked beautifull loc pictures as well as other pic. It had me looking at locs in a whole different light although I never had bad thought about them but it just opened me up to see how creative you can be with the locs.

And also kinky twist you should check that out too there are alot of nice styles to check out on that page. both freeform natural styles and locs.[/QUOTE]
I'll take a look at the styles. Thank you very much!
(Can you tell that I'm a newbie?)

Mrsdawsondn
01-19-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by blckqueen@Jan 19 2004, 02:03 PM

I'll take a look at the styles. Thank you very much!
(Can you tell that I'm a newbie?)
Don't worry about being a newbie honey you learn by askin questions and trying every tab and link in this site :lol there really are alot of helpful tips and suggestions and oh by the way : I'm fairly a newbie too :-)

Have fun and take your time getting some great information on this site I now swear by it :rainfro

Dolliesdaughter
01-26-2004, 03:57 PM
Trial and error and don't be so hard on yourself.