PDA

View Full Version : WHY, OH WHY...ARE MY LOCS SO DRY

locd4life
01-17-2004, 01:42 PM
my locs are just creeping down between my should blades, and they feel so dry next to my cheeks, neck and back...i'm sure when someone hugs me, they're like "dayum, thats what locs feel like.." and that's not what lasting impression i'm going for. My regiment is simple (maybe too simple) wash with a clarifying shampoo. occasionally retwist my roots with a herbal oil. and go!!

PLEASE HELP! I've had my locs for 3 years and 2 mths.

any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.

Fansia
01-17-2004, 02:08 PM
the claryfing shampoo might be too harsh.
you could shampoo with a mild shampoo
and only use the clarifying one for occasionally (when needed).

Sunchild
01-17-2004, 02:40 PM
Since you have had your locks for so long, I am sure they could withstand a good conditioning.

ShekinahSoul
01-17-2004, 07:18 PM
Clarifying shampoo may be stripping to much of the natural oils out the locs. Maybe use the clarifying shampoo less often and a moisturizing shampoo instead. :)

alma2254
01-17-2004, 07:39 PM
What I'm thinking:
try the no poo method for a while
deep condition with organic root stimulator hair mayonnaise
carry a spritz everywhere you go

My locs felt like that a year ago until I started using these methods

locd4life
01-17-2004, 09:14 PM
@alma, what kinda spritz....school me sis. 'preciate the love and advice for everyone i'm sitting here as i type with a deep conditioner and plastic bag on my head right now

locd4life
01-17-2004, 09:15 PM
:-?

teekydawg
01-17-2004, 09:44 PM
i had posted about my daughter's locs being a little on the rough side. she's had them for 5 years. someone suggested steam treatments and i posted about this earlier also, but i used dish soap on my daughters locs recently and they are softer. it got rid of alot of buildup which i think was making her locs heavy and somewhat brittle. i also did a hot oil treatment before washing.

Also i've started the spritz but i can only testify for my hair because i just started my daughter's on it. the spritz i use has approx 1-2 tbsp of olive oil, 1-2 tbsp of avocado oil, 2-3 squirts of rosemary eo, 10-15 drops of lemongrass eo, 3 tbsp of veggie glycerin and fill the squirt bottle with distilled water. shake before each use. other eo's i know people have used are sandalwood and sage. my sister has those in addition to the recipe i just posted and her spritz smells glorious.

the spritz recipe is a hybrid of information found on this site.

good luck and peace

NaturallyJade
01-18-2004, 02:02 AM
Here is a hair spritz recipe. I have been using aromatherpy for over 10 years and have taken numerous classes on the subject.

16 oz spritz bottle
8 drops ylang ylang
4 drops rose geranium
1 drop of rosemary
1 drop sandlewood
2 drops rose otto (or jasmine)
2 tablespoons of kikui nut oil
2 (opened) vitamin E capsules
1 tablespoons of jojoba oil
1 teaspoon of carrot oil

I shake well and usually add to a tiny spritzer. I spray my hair throughout the day.

I am always switching up my scented hair recipes. I have a variety of essential oils/carrier oils. I make all my hair/skin care products.

Clarity36
01-18-2004, 02:47 AM
Try increasing your daily water intake.

Beryl
01-18-2004, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by Mzfitbodi@Jan 17 2004, 08:02 PM
Here is a hair spritz recipe. I have been using aromatherpy for over 10 years and have taken numerous classes on the subject.

Thanks! I'm trying that one myself and my locs aren't feeling dry! The ingredients sound yummy.

NaturallyJade
01-18-2004, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by Beryl@Jan 17 2004, 10:39 PM
Thanks! I'm trying that one myself and my locs aren't feeling dry! The ingredients sound yummy

I hope you like it. :)
I made two variations since I am in the baby stage of my locs, one with all the ingredients and one with just water and essential oils. I guess I am paranoid about overdoing it with the base oils. :) The scent is not strong, a nice fresh (slightly floral scent) I usually add more or dilute with more water if the scent is too much. I have gotten compliments on it. I also use it, occasionally use the water/EO as a body spray. I spray my hair with the water mist a few times daily. I go in tomorrow for my two week appointment. :duck

shuaia
01-18-2004, 02:45 PM
mzfitbodi,

thanks for that recipe. it sounds delicious. i just wrote down the ingredients for my mom & sister to try (they're loose nappturals). i will definitely be adding this to my routine once my hair matures. :thumbsup

locd4life
01-18-2004, 05:18 PM
'preciate all the advice...thanks for the recipe....i'm on it.

@clarity36, if i drank any more water, i wouldn't be able to leave the house behind running to the bathroom! :-)

thanks again ya'll.....