PDA

View Full Version : Wrap -a-round skirt

nadadayo
01-18-2004, 06:04 PM
Ladies it's Sunday afternoon and snowing hard in NYC. I'm a newbie to sewing but have the desire :) My problem is this.. I've got almost 3yrds of material just sitting here waiting :pop to be used. I'd like to make a wrap around skirt and don't have a pattern.

Appreciate any advice and thanks in advance for you help.

Knottygal
01-19-2004, 01:01 AM
Great question...I'm anxious to see the responses.

I like wrap skirts too and I'm always seeing beautiful fabrics.

I've got a question also...how much material is required to make a skirt?

blkrose
01-21-2004, 06:06 PM
I searched just today for african material and found a site that had "How To" pics on using the fabric for wrap skirts, dresses, head wraps etc. so to answer no you dont need a pattern. i will bet the sit to you in a bit

blkrose
01-21-2004, 06:11 PM
found it

http://www.kangausa.com/

Fauryn78
01-21-2004, 06:45 PM
Are you looking to make a skirt that is more uh "skirtish"? Like you would buy in the store (you know with the sash that you tie) or something that is more "sarong" like?

I have tons of wrap skirts...I love them and Iwould like to make them too...but I don't really sew. Besides I'm all about winging projects and they usually turn out just fine...

I'm also curious as to what other sisters have to say. I'm not sure how confidant you are with your sewing skills, but I say wing it! :thumbsup

W8N2XHL
01-22-2004, 01:20 AM
No, you don't need a real pattern. The other day at work, I took a sheet of paper (pretending it was fabric) and decided how I could make a wrap skirt. I also did the same to make a matching jacket. I will put my templates to test soon.

RealBeautyTT
01-22-2004, 03:41 AM
You can do latch hook patterns-easy and nice.
I love to buy different types of fabric , and make my own wrap skirts, especially for the summer. Mooshood -wear yourself- is nice but too expensive! (A label /design that Jill Scott wears)

Knottygal
01-22-2004, 04:48 AM
I'm actually looking for something that has a little more material than store bought wrap skirts that tend to fly open and show all your business if the wind should happen to blow. :nohuh

nadadayo
01-22-2004, 05:15 AM
Ladies thanks so much. Blkrose the site really helped. Knotty girl I know what you mean. Check out the link Blkrose sent. Kiana, think I'll do a lil sketch for my next one. Fauryn that's what I ended up doing! Seems that wearing my wares regardless of how perfect the seams is real confidence booster. Not to mention sewing is so relaxing. Hey it's all about being creative.

Fauryn78
01-23-2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Knottygal@Jan 22 2004, 01:48 AM
I'm actually looking for something that has a little more material than store bought wrap skirts that tend to fly open and show all your business if the wind should happen to blow. :nohuh
LOL!!! That happend to me all summer!!!

One day some guy stopped me in the street and was like SIS!! hold your skirt your showin all your goods!!!.....

Then he proceeded to ask me for my number... :smug :rolleyes

blkrose
01-23-2004, 11:39 AM
for no sew wrap skirts - would it be better to use a material with some sort of stretch to it? and what about wools or heavy material for these cold winter months.........................any experts out there

Dreamyb
01-23-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Fauryn78+Jan 22 2004, 08:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Fauryn78 @ Jan 22 2004, 08:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Knottygal@Jan 22 2004, 01:48 AM
I&#39;m actually looking for something that has a little more material than store bought wrap skirts that tend to fly open and show all your business if the wind should happen to blow. :nohuh

One day some guy stopped me in the street and was like SIS!! hold your skirt your showin all your goods!!!.....

Then he proceeded to ask me for my number... :smug :rolleyes [/b][/quote]
lol

Dreamyb
01-23-2004, 01:54 PM
http://www.kangausa.com/A,%20Swimsuitsmall.gif

so this is how you make a bathing suit out of a large piece of fabric? it seems it would look rather awkward to me but eh...

the other pics were great for future ideas though :)

Fauryn78
01-23-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Dreamyb@Jan 23 2004, 10:54 AM

so this is how you make a bathing suit out of a large piece of fabric? it seems it would look rather awkward to me but eh...

sooo...what type of material do you use? I wouldn&#39;t want to wear one of my sarongs like that and then jump in the water.... :huh

feepee
01-23-2004, 07:12 PM
i love the patterns but will not be paying $20 like they ask on that site. i have ALOT of Kangas (as the site calls them) i just call &#39;em scarves.

well i just play around with them. i make skirts, dresses, shirts, halters, head wraps and whatever i could think of. the swimsuit is a new one for me... i dont think that is really good for swimming in tho

flnatural
01-23-2004, 10:22 PM
Well ladies, I&#39;m going to see if I can help a bit with your sewing tips. I can sew, but I can&#39;t sew with patterns. (Jack of all trades, master of none) Something I have done in the past was to take an old skirt, (item) and kind of move the piece on your fabric or better yet paper to make your pattern. (I just go straight for the fabric on the wrong side) I use the tracing paper that you use on fabric to go around each shape of the fabric. So say for your wrap skirt, you may have 2 front panels, back panel and a waist band. Make sure you have 2 seams (one on each side) when you start sewing. Always cut your pattern/fabric at least 1/2 wider than your original clothing. If you notice, you do have maybe 5/8 of an inch of space from the end of your fabric to your sewing line. Also make it longer that your clothing to allow for your hem and waist band.

If you need some more info or if you don&#39;t understand post it and I&#39;ll try and clarify it for you. I will also post some items I made or modified.

nadadayo
01-24-2004, 12:00 AM
@Flnatural ~ great instructions. Couple of questions for you...with the waist band though how do you know where to insert the hole to pull the tie through? What about if your just wanting the wrap skirt without the wrap waistband (i.e 2 buttons/snaps) General measurements are approx 2 inches down from the waist? Any answers to Blkrose&#39;s questions?

flnatural
01-24-2004, 12:52 PM
Ok, for blackrose, you can us any type of fabric. If you use fabric with flowers or designs, just make sure they are all going in the same direction. So it&#39;s best to do all of your cutting/tracing at the same time. Just remember when your using stiff fabric, such as wool, denim, then you should allow a little extra fabric so it can hang well. If you use those fabrics, then you are going to get a more tailored look.

Regarding the waist band, if you&#39;re going to make a hole for it to go through, then it is better to have it on the side seam or between the front and side area. Buttons should go in the same area.

I hope that helps.

blkrose
01-26-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by flnatural@Jan 24 2004, 08:52 AM
Ok, for blackrose, you can us any type of fabric. If you use fabric with flowers or designs, just make sure they are all going in the same direction. So it&#39;s best to do all of your cutting/tracing at the same time. Just remember when your using stiff fabric, such as wool, denim, then you should allow a little extra fabric so it can hang well. If you use those fabrics, then you are going to get a more tailored look.

thanks for the tip - oh 2004 is going to be FABULOUS :bis

IM COMING OUT

:bis :d) :bis :d) :bis

Dreamyb
01-29-2004, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by feepee@Jan 23 2004, 03:12 PM
the swimsuit is a new one for me... i dont think that is really good for swimming in tho
yep, exactly my point. it looks as if it would weigh the swimmer down.

BlakStaar
02-16-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Fauryn78+Jan 23 2004, 01:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Fauryn78 @ Jan 23 2004, 01:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dreamyb@Jan 23 2004, 10:54 AM

sooo...what type of material do you use? I wouldn&#39;t want to wear one of my sarongs like that and then jump in the water.... :huh [/b][/quote]
I was thinking the same thing :lol .

Whitley Gilbert
01-20-2006, 08:07 AM
Bump

Let&#39;s revist this topic, please.

I like simple skirts and I&#39;d like to hear more ideas. This is a good topic.

Buttercup82
01-20-2006, 07:54 PM
I saw this (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=39246.0) on craftster and I liked the pattern. I can&#39;t sew but maybe someone else can make uses of it.

meagan22
01-23-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Knottygal@Jan 22 2004, 01:48 AM
I&#39;m actually looking for something that has a little more material than store bought wrap skirts that tend to fly open and show all your business if the wind should happen to blow. :nohuh

Then he proceeded to ask me for my number... <_< :rolleyes:
[/b]
:pointlaugh: :pointlaugh: