PDA

View Full Version : Bohemian 30 Day Challenge!

kysses2
07-07-2006, 10:42 PM
I was looking for the Old Thread but couldn't find it after about 8 pages I gave up, But I want to know if anyone want to do this 30 day challenge with me :D I recently tried it again after I was getting VERY FRUSTRATED with myTwa, None if my usual hair products was working and my hair was ending up dry as heck so I said "let me try this bohemian method".

Well my hair is still soft and shrinkage is less and my hair smells & feels so good :wub: So I am gonna try this for 30 days straight and see how my hair really turns out. I can't remember the Original Poster who
posted this but if you are here Please chime in and take your credit :D

Here is what I did:
Used my Soap of Alep Shampoo Bar
Deep Conditioned with MyHoneychild Honey Hair Mask
Applied Aussie Hair Insurance Leave In (Diluted with a little Distilled water)

And that was it, This is My Usual Friday Routine.

Weekly I Conditioner Wash with Suave Toasted Vanilla & Sugar & Apply Aussie Hair Insurance
(But I am looking for A New Leave In so if you know of any please let me know)

We can start Saturday 6/8 or Monday 6/10 :D
If you have anymore suggestions Please Add them!

hyphenunderscore
07-08-2006, 06:23 AM
i'm interested!

for clarification, what exactly is the bohemian routine?

i have a few additional questions as well:
i don't have a shampoo bar, but i shampoo once weekly. is that okay?
also, is it a daily conditioner wash that you speak of?

tiffany
p.s. could we start on 07/10 (monday)?

GalaxyGirl2012
07-08-2006, 06:34 AM
i've been doing boho for a bit over a year now and it's awesome!
here are the threads

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.ph...topic=71430&hl= (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=71430&hl=)

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.ph...195&hl=bohemian (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=73195&hl=bohemian)

Naeemah
07-08-2006, 11:49 AM
If I understand correctly, the bohemian method is using no products in your hair with the exception of a leave-in conditioner. I am up for the challenge. I will start when my order of QB Sidr Tree Butter Balm comes in next week!!! I may be on that track already. I just use a moisturizing gel in my hair. Is that okay?

jazzijenni81
07-08-2006, 12:01 PM
creator of the bohemian routine taking a bow! :blush:

but for real sis, ill join you. this is my everyday routine so it'll be a breeze. for those that dont know what it is, check the past threads and or my album's routine section.

basic bohemian:
daily co-washes
no styling products
no butters
no frizz busters
no knock-out-them-napps-serums

acceptable:
leave in conditioners
homemade liquid concoctions
natural humectants ie. aloe, honey, glycerine, flaxseed gel, etc.

kysses, here are a few good leave ins:
jamaican mango and lime cactus
elucence
abba nourishing
aveda exlier
shea moisture
soft and precious detangling spray
sta sof fro
homemade mixture of conditioner, water, +humectant

GalaxyGirl2012
07-08-2006, 12:02 PM
now i'm wondering in im mixing up the names of the routines :unsure:

but here's what i consider bohemian: i co wash daily. the products i use like oyins whipped pudding :wub: ic sparklelites or garnier smooth and sleek are light enough that i don't need to shampoo to get them out. so what i'm doing is a mixture of co washing and light products..

the gel should be ok as long as it's not heavy

Lou1
07-08-2006, 12:06 PM
The bohemian routine sounds very interesting and I have seen your pics jazzi and your hair is beautiful and so are you....

however, would the moisture we need for our hair come frome the co-washes?
And what styles would be appropriate while doing the routine?

Naeemah
07-08-2006, 12:16 PM

but here's what i consider bohemian: i co wash daily. the products i use like oyins whipped pudding :wub: ic sparklelites or garnier smooth and sleek are light enough that i don't need to shampoo to get them out. so what i'm doing is a mixture of co washing and light products..

[/b]

Great. It's not heavy at all. It's not a holding gel so I don't have that I'm wearing gel look. It just keeps my hair feeling soft and touchable during these hot summer days. Water and glycerine are the primary ingredients.

Now another ?stn. I was planning to use QB Sidr Tree Butter Balm as a leave-in conditioner, but with this challenge I cannot?

jazzijenni81
07-08-2006, 01:17 PM

[/b]
i think you're getting the routines mixed up sis b/c my routine has always been about no styling products, thats why i call it bohemian! lol, but if the shea and gel are working for you, thats great...but i aint bohemain :P
*i know for me, IC gel is so heavy on my hair, i have to shampoo it out.. the dimethicone my hair can't take...its a harsh styling product IMO. but everyone has different needs and everyones hair reacts differently.

ultimately, you can use whatever you wish, but this routine focuses on light products (leave ins & humectants) as stylers and co-washes as main deliverers of moisture. i think the best way to get the best results is to use the basic bohemian routine. remember, the most effective co-washes come when the hair isnt coated w product.

The bohemian routine sounds very interesting and I have seen your pics jazzi and your hair is beautiful and so are you....

however, would the moisture we need for our hair come frome the co-washes?
And what styles would be appropriate while doing the routine?[/b]
awww, thanks alot sis :wub:
the moisture scomes from the co-washes and is supported by the light leave in.
shake and go would be the best bet (considering you're wetting it daily), but you could choose any style you wish :)

Great. It's not heavy at all. It's not a holding gel so I don't have that I'm wearing gel look. It just keeps my hair feeling soft and touchable during these hot summer days. Water and glycerine are the primary ingredients.
Now another ?stn. I was planning to use QB Sidr Tree Butter Balm as a leave-in conditioner, but with this challenge I cannot?[/b]
again, ic gel is a styling product and the routine focuses on exiting styling products, hence bohemian...but please feel free to use whatever you wish...if you choose to use the gel, i see so problem using the qhemet product.

dsweet2000
07-08-2006, 01:31 PM
I'm in. The last time I used shampoo was early last week since then I've been co-washing and glycerin/aloe gel spritzing. I bought suave juicy apple conditioner and am going to mix it with water and baking soda to rinse my hair with weekly or bi-weekly.

I have two questions. I have small bantu knots in and I'm not afraid to wet them just wash them. Is pouring the baking soda conditioner mixture over my hair enough to clease it? Most of my scalp is exposed due to the knots so what do you all think?

I use dark and lovely cholesteral chonditioner. There are no cones in there but I really don't if the ingredients are boho friendly. They are listed below

INGREDIENTS:
Water (Aqua) , Petrolatum , Cetearyl Alcohol , Behentrimonion Methosulfate , PEG-75 Lanolin , Guanidine Carbonate , Polyquaternium-6 , Cocamidapropyl Betaine , Propylene Glycol , Fragrance Parfum , D&C Orange #4 , Succinic Acid , Denatonium Benzoate , Mineral Oil Paraffinum Liquidum , Calcium Hydroxide , Hydrogenated Butylene , Ethylene , Styrene Copolymer , Hydrogenated Ethylene , Propylene , Water Aqua , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Sodium Laureth Sulfate , Lauramide Dea , Polyquaternium-7 , Citric Acid , Methylisothiazolinone , Methylchloroisothiazaolinone , Phenolsufonphthalein , Cetyl Alcohol , Dicetyldimonium Chloride , PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil , Polyquaternium-32 , Cholesterol , Panthenol , Tocopheryl Acetate , Aloe Barbadensis , D&C No. 33 , Methylchlorosothiazolinone , Polyquaternium 22 , Polyquaternium 11 , Dimethicone Copolyol Laurate , Dimethicone Copolyol , Dmdm Hydantoin , Oleth-20 , Silk Amino Acid , External D&C Violet 2 .

If there are any red flags please let me know. I've been using this conditioner for 5 years so I don't really want to let it go if I dont have to.

Thanks

jazzijenni81
07-08-2006, 02:05 PM
I'm in. The last time I used shampoo was early last week since then I've been co-washing and glycerin/aloe gel spritzing. I bought suave juicy apple conditioner and am going to mix it with water and baking soda to rinse my hair with weekly or bi-weekly.

I have two questions. I have small bantu knots in and I'm not afraid to wet them just wash them. Is pouring the baking soda conditioner mixture over my hair enough to clease it? Most of my scalp is exposed due to the knots so what do you all think?

I use dark and lovely cholesteral chonditioner. There are no cones in there but I really don't if the ingredients are boho friendly. They are listed below

INGREDIENTS:
Water (Aqua) , Petrolatum , Cetearyl Alcohol , Behentrimonion Methosulfate , PEG-75 Lanolin , Guanidine Carbonate , Polyquaternium-6 , Cocamidapropyl Betaine , Propylene Glycol , Fragrance Parfum , D&C Orange #4 , Succinic Acid , Denatonium Benzoate , Mineral Oil Paraffinum Liquidum , Calcium Hydroxide , Hydrogenated Butylene , Ethylene , Styrene Copolymer , Hydrogenated Ethylene , Propylene , Water Aqua , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Sodium Laureth Sulfate , Lauramide Dea , Polyquaternium-7 , Citric Acid , Methylisothiazolinone , Methylchloroisothiazaolinone , Phenolsufonphthalein , Cetyl Alcohol , Dicetyldimonium Chloride , PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil , Polyquaternium-32 , Cholesterol , Panthenol , Tocopheryl Acetate , Aloe Barbadensis , D&C No. 33 , Methylchlorosothiazolinone , Polyquaternium 22 , Polyquaternium 11 , Dimethicone Copolyol Laurate , Dimethicone Copolyol , Dmdm Hydantoin , Oleth-20 , Silk Amino Acid , External D&C Violet 2 .

If there are any red flags please let me know. I've been using this conditioner for 5 years so I don't really want to let it go if I dont have to.

Thanks
[/b]
hey sis, the red stuff is the stuff co-washes wont remove and will eventually lead to drying. use something thin and cheap like suave or V05 for co-washing, cholesterol is too heavy. i also think while you have bantu knots its not necessary to co-wash...water rinsing will get the job done until you take them down :)

oh and the aloe/glycerine spritz is a perfect example of whats acceptable for this routine :)

be careful w baking soda b/c it can dry your hair out something fierce! you have to get those measurements down to a tee before messing with it.

also ladies, shampooing is fine w this routine as long as you use a sulfate-free cleanser. sulfates will suck out the moisture the co-washes are building...so opt for shampoos like creme of nature (yellow top), elasta qp, johnsons baby shampoo, elucence, health food store brands, etc.

forgive my typos in the previous post [i] :blush:

nappywomyn
07-08-2006, 02:15 PM
I'm in!! I just used up the last of my Patene conditioner (just FULLA cones) a couple of days ago, and while I'm in love with the Elasta QP Mango Butter - I think it might be contributing to the crunchiness the next day. I'm supposed to be getting my Oyin sampler in a day or two (YAAAY!!! EEEeeee!!) and I'm sure that there is something in there I can use for a leave-in conditioner. Until then, I have my StaSofFro that I broke down and brought.

JazziJenii: Do you use the baking soda? And if so - what ARE the measurements/ratios that you use?

Naeemah
07-08-2006, 02:36 PM
I have small bantu knots in and I'm not afraid to wet them just wash them. Is pouring the baking soda conditioner mixture over my hair enough to clease it? Most of my scalp is exposed due to the knots so what do you all think?[/b]

My guess is no. How long do you plan to keep them? I'm sure you can go up to 3 weeks without washing as long as you use something to control the itchies. You can do a search to see what people use. You can also try to wash by putting a stocking cap like the ones pictured here (http://stores.channeladvisor.com/3rdPowerOutlet/Du%20Rags%20and%20Headwear/Stocking%20Caps/) over the knots to keep them in place while you scrub your scalp.

GalaxyGirl2012
07-08-2006, 02:37 PM
ok well i'm doing bohemian for my hair t not for the jazzijenny's hair :P

i'll call my routine the glam bohemian :lol:

dsweet2000
07-08-2006, 02:41 PM
^^^ But I thought you had to wash your hair daily or almost daily with the bohemian method. I dont think I can go three weeks without washing but I also wont have these knots in that long maybe a week or a week and a half.

I'm confused.

kysses2
07-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Hey! I am glad to see alot of people want to try it, I also have noticed that I have less hair coming out in my pick and my hair just looks great, I only use my Shampoo Bar on Fridays and I usually deep condition it every 2-3 weeks. and then I just apply the leave in, and my hair just feels great.

Now I conditioner wash 1-2x's a week because I have begun to get back on exercising. and that works for me.

Now about the soft and precious is thatthe product that has the little precious baby on the bottle? I see it in wal mart all the time, Next time I go I will get a bottle.

jazzijenni81
07-08-2006, 03:18 PM
JazziJenii: Do you use the baking soda? And if so - what ARE the measurements/ratios that you use?
[/b]
i dont use baking soda. i tried it once and my hair was dry for 2 weeks. with the bohemian routine, you dont need a cleanser as strong as baking soda...that is if you're following it the way i created it...i think the ratio is a tablespoon of baking soda to a botltle of conditioner or a tablespoon of baking soda to a cup of water.

ok well i'm doing bohemian for my hair t not for the jazzijenny's hair

i'll call my routine the glam bohemian [/b]
you are absolutely right sis, but i just wanted to be clear on the rules i created. i dont want people to think using gel coincides w the routine. please feel free to rectify them as you wish to meet your hair needs. ;)

But I thought you had to wash your hair daily or almost daily with the bohemian method. I dont think I can go three weeks without washing but I also wont have these knots in that long maybe a week or a week and a half. I'm confused.[/b]
well, i do...but i dont have bantu knots. if you want your protective style to last, just water rinse...then when you come out of them, shampoo then co-wash your hair as needed :)

Now about the soft and precious is thatthe product that has the little precious baby on the bottle? I see it in wal mart all the time, Next time I go I will get a bottle.[/b]
yep thats it. natural kinks uses it and her hair is awesome!

Naeemah
07-08-2006, 03:30 PM
I'm in!! I just used up the last of my Patene conditioner (just FULLA cones) a couple of days ago, and while I'm in love with the Elasta QP Mango Butter - I think it might be contributing to the crunchiness the next day. I'm supposed to be getting my Oyin sampler in a day or two (YAAAY!!! EEEeeee!!) and I'm sure that there is something in there I can use for a leave-in conditioner. Until then, I have my StaSofFro that I broke down and brought.
[/b]

I used to follow the no poo method. I washed my hair once a week with a conditioner rinse and a little bit of baking soda then I deep conditioned. My hair was fine. I never measured, I just poured it into the cap of the conditioner bottle. A tablespoon should be sufficient.

CurlyGirl327
07-08-2006, 04:54 PM
I want to get in on a boho challenge... I'm trying to shed my PJ ways, so I wanted to get on an effective routine using a bare minimum of products. I noticed in jazzi's post on the rules for the Bohemian Challenge that "no butter" are allowed. Does that include pure, unrefined shea butter? It's the only moisturizer I use on my face and body, and I love it. I thought it might work well for moisturizing my crunchy-dry, colored naps... What do you think--is shea butter boho or a no-no?

asmoss
07-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Hey all. I want to join in as well. But I use Kemi leave-in conditioner (1/3 KEmi , 2/3 water). And I was wondering if that was ok.

Angela

vnatural
07-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Oh I've been doing this for 3 months now, and my hair loves me for it! Thanks jazzijenni and everyone who came up with these awesome ideas.:)

I actually use a homemade leave-in and jamaican mango moisturizer and my hair feels great. I add natural oils to my homemade concoction(I don't like direct oils on my hair).

Hey all. I want to join in as well. But I use Kemi leave-in conditioner (1/3 KEmi , 2/3 water). And I was wondering if that was ok.

Angela
[/b]

Yup, this is fine. The products that can't be used are anti-frizz products or butters, so leave-ins for moisture are acceptable.

asmoss
07-08-2006, 07:20 PM
Cool well I'm up for the challenge :D

kysses2
07-08-2006, 09:50 PM
Okay then we start on Monday 6/10/06!

Remember No Styling Products Only A Leave In Conditioner.
If You need the Rules Look On Page (1) of this thread!

Lou1
07-08-2006, 10:44 PM
I have a few more questions...What exactly is the reason for the bohemian routine? Is it to keep the scalp clean so the hair can grow? I was wondering....I am definitetly feeling the routine but i am also trying to obtain more length!

I am willing to do the challenge *thinking* I need more conditioner...have to go :bolt: and get some tomorrow......

so monday it is!!!!! :D

how often do we need to post pics...????*thinking again* need to pay cell phone bill so i can access my upload of pics I have on my phone..... :blush:

vnatural
07-08-2006, 10:56 PM
I have a few more questions...What exactly is the reason for the bohemian routine? Is it to keep the scalp clean so the hair can grow? I was wondering....I am definitetly feeling the routine but i am also trying to obtain more length!

I am willing to do the challenge *thinking* I need more conditioner...have to go :bolt: and get some tomorrow......

so monday it is!!!!! :D

how often do we need to post pics...????*thinking again* need to pay cell phone bill so i can access my upload of pics I have on my phone..... :blush:
[/b]

To my knowledge, it's a program that helps the hair maintain moisture and softness sans the use of tons of products, like heavy serums etc. Leave-in conditioners are the best and basically, the most preferred hair product ater washing. That's it.

A lot of people, including myself, have found that by minimizing product use, the hair remains soft and has a higher moisture capacity. So yup, the hair and scalp are actually benefitting.

I find that if I put butters and oils directly onto my hair, it will dry it out. Some people have no problem at all with piling products or using butters and oils, but for those who do, this program is definitely worth trying.

Lou1
07-09-2006, 10:41 AM
^^^^thank you vnatural...I like to always know why i am doing something and how it will affect me good or bad....

I am ready for this challenge :D

lashon20
07-09-2006, 11:20 AM
I wanna join!

jazzijenni81
07-09-2006, 12:19 PM
vnatural, you got it down! :shocker:

ok yall...co-wash or water rinse, add a leave-in, spritz, or any natural concoction that ties into the rules, NO STYLING PRODUCTS, and go! :)

and for the shea butter question...it tends to put weight on the hair and cannot be removed by co-washes...but if you must use it, its more acceptable than styling products, so feel free to use your shea.

NappyHeadedGirl
07-09-2006, 01:17 PM
I've been doing the bohemian routine lately and my hair loves it. My homemade spritz makes my hair feel greasy (water+honey+olive oil) and this morning I used BB Oil Moisturizer. It's light and smells good and it leaves my hair moisturized without the greasy feeling, but just to be sure, can someone please highlight the bad ingredients?

purified water, canola oil, sorbitan sesquioleate, castor oil, polyquaternium 32 and parafinum liquidum, aloe vera gel, panthenol, coconut oil, polysorbate 80, propylene glycol (and)diazolidinyl urea (and) idopropynyl butylcarbamate, D&C Red #33 and fragrance

missjade
07-09-2006, 01:22 PM
I'm in it for life. My hair loves it when I don't slap a bunch of gunk all over it. I basically just co-wash (clarify occasionally), use a leave-in then air dry. Works like a charm and saves me time, money and the effort of slathering on a range of products.

kysses2
07-09-2006, 01:50 PM
I agree it does save Time & Money! and my hair feels better and Looks 100% better without styling products than with them, But It works great with conditioner washes, I tried it with my shampoo bar and no conditioner and it was back to hard brittle hair, Then I went back and done my conditioner wash and it was back to soft hair, Isn't that weird? I guess having a good moisturizing conditioner makes a difference.

Oh! I just started using a T-shirt to dry my hair with instead of a Towel, I read that somewhere and decided to give it a try, and it works great and I have no frizz at all. (Thanks To The Fruit of The Loom Guys)

choklatebar4
07-09-2006, 04:18 PM
Ok, I've been doing the bohemian challenge with a modification for a little while now and I have question as well. What about extremely hot days? How do you keep your hair moisturized when the temperature is about 90 degrees? I've been doing a personal protective style challenge (twists) and have been using shea butter to protect it from the sun and it's been working so far. I want to go COMPLETELY bohemian, but that's the area I'm having difficulty in. Anyone have the same problem? Does my hair just have to get used to no product in the sun or is the sun really damaging it like I think it is?

p.s. - I run every morning outside, so that's why I'm concerned about this.

kysses2
07-10-2006, 09:55 PM
I just started back using mu QB Heavy Cream because I have been outside alot lately and my Leave in Spray wasn't working, and the Heavy Cream is good and it has no Butter, or Gels or anything to enhance and it rinses out easily so I will be just using this one product after my Cw's.

chokalatebar4 if you have to use your shea butter then go ahead, I think that we are just trying to get away from Loading our hair up with like 2-3 products at one time, We just want to use minimal products on our hair and not load it.

So far so good my hair is still soft and looking good!

cloudyface
07-11-2006, 11:15 AM
I think I'll begin in August. Although I will have to use Palmer's Olive oil mosturiser...so I s'pose that's not totally Behemian...but I will be doing co-washes once a week...wash twice a month...I need to figure out how to deal with my itchy dry scalp.

Lou1
07-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Hey ladies....Hope the challenge is going good for everyone....

I normally don't do regimens or routines, but I have to say I am sticking with this one....

BTW: I finally have my fotki up...there are some pics from june....haven't taken any new ones since july started and I hope to have updates often....

don't really know how to link the dang think to my posts....if anyone know can you please let me know.

Thanks in advance....

Lou1
07-11-2006, 03:57 PM
Yayyyyy i figured it out....okay thanks for all who would have read this and helped....

dsweet2000
07-11-2006, 09:08 PM
hey sis, the red stuff is the stuff co-washes wont remove and will eventually lead to drying. use something thin and cheap like suave or V05 for co-washing, cholesterol is too heavy. i also think while you have bantu knots its not necessary to co-wash...water rinsing will get the job done until you take them down :)

oh and the aloe/glycerine spritz is a perfect example of whats acceptable for this routine :)

be careful w baking soda b/c it can dry your hair out something fierce! you have to get those measurements down to a tee before messing with it.

also ladies, shampooing is fine w this routine as long as you use a sulfate-free cleanser. sulfates will suck out the moisture the co-washes are building...so opt for shampoos like creme of nature (yellow top), elasta qp, johnsons baby shampoo, elucence, health food store brands, etc.

forgive my typos in the previous post [i] :blush:
[/b]

Thanks I didn't even see this post til today my eyes were decieving me.

It seems as if they've changed some of the ingredients. On my jar at home it doesn't have any cones listed. But i was too lazy to write it out from the bottle, found that list from some site that's selling it and cut and pasted. it still has mineral oil and peg 40 castor oil etc so i guess I'll toss it....after I finish the jar first.

thanks again

choklatebar4
07-12-2006, 12:31 PM
I just started back using mu QB Heavy Cream because I have been outside alot lately and my Leave in Spray wasn't working, and the Heavy Cream is good and it has no Butter, or Gels or anything to enhance and it rinses out easily so I will be just using this one product after my Cw's.

chokalatebar4 if you have to use your shea butter then go ahead, I think that we are just trying to get away from Loading our hair up with like 2-3 products at one time, We just want to use minimal products on our hair and not load it.

So far so good my hair is still soft and looking good!
[/b]

Thanks for the advice kyssess2. I found the problem. I read a post by nappywomyn and realized I hadn't done a deep conditioning treatment in a LONG time. So, I've started doing that again (I'll probably do it twice a week) and I've also started spritzing my hair with mixture of conditioner, distilled water and jojoba oil. So far, my hair has been doing great. This is just in time because I'm going on a cruise next week and I wanted to leave my products to the bare minimum. I think I finally figured out what my hair likes/needs!

vnatural
07-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Don't mean to take over the post, but I think that products that contain cones will cause a problem being that cones tend to suffocate the hair and it will take a sulfate based shampoo to remove it.

jazzijenni81
07-12-2006, 04:13 PM
Don't mean to take over the post, but I think that products that contain cones will cause a problem being that cones tend to suffocate the hair and it will take a sulfate based shampoo to remove it.
[/b]
they absolutely will...but like another poster pointed out, they are doing the challenge for them and not me...so i say do what you want.

vnatural
07-12-2006, 04:48 PM
^^ True, true :D

gtkid17
07-13-2006, 02:03 PM
Today is my first official day on the challenge, and I was just wondering if it's okay to use oil? My scalp has been itchy and flaky lately, so I've been using this Profectiv 3-in-1 stuff. Or, will continued use of the Bohemian method help with this problem? Yesterday I bought Suave Professionals Humectant condish and Aussie Hair Insurance leave-in, are those good for this challenge?

jazzijenni81
07-13-2006, 05:14 PM
psycoknitwit,
I'm not familiar w the other products but I know that Suave Humectant contains dimethiconal...which cuases build up. Only the Suave Naturals line are cone free or co-wash friendly. V05 as well. As far as the itchies, i suggest a shampoo, acv rinse, and scalp spritzing of water and rosemary/peppermint eo's.

I started a thread called "Tips for Effective Conditioner Washing" as a guide to understanding my bohemian routine.

There are also 3 bohemian threads that go into great detail about everything you need to know.

My hair album (routine section) also goes into detail. hth

Lou1
07-13-2006, 05:24 PM
Jazzijenni81

I am using the V05 conditioners as well and they do great for my hair....only the natural herb ones....I just finished a bottle of the split ends (protect against breakage conditioner) And I purchased the tea tree therapy and strawberry soy milk....

I know everybody hair is different but these have been working for me on my challenge....

sorry jazzi.....I meant to put psychoknitwit....I was referring to her comment
:D

kysses2
07-13-2006, 09:57 PM
I am gonna go and get me some soft n precious tommorrow! I want to see how that works, I hope that it works good because I really want to get away from using any other products except a nice Leave in.

Ya'll know I have discovered the most weirdest thing about my hair and the Boheman method, I have noticed that when I use my hair styling products after I wash I get alot of shedding and hair coming out, But when I use the B Method I hardly have any hair come out in my hand or in my Pick.
But I am glad though! LOL!!!!

NappyAmazon
07-14-2006, 08:21 AM
I think I will try this challenge , I need a break from the braid outs for a while. And at times I think I put to many products in my hair so this will be nice.

NappyHeadedGirl
07-14-2006, 01:53 PM
I'm in on this too. My leave-in of choice is Motions Nourish in the spritz bottle. It has cones in it but I use Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo whenever I get build-up that my Creme of Nature shampoo can't get rid of.

kysses2
07-16-2006, 10:23 AM
My wal mart does not carry sof n precious anymore! I was so mad, I sw it all the time and then when I want to buy it, they stopped selling it, but I did get me some of that Johnson Lavendar Baby Shampoo and it smells good. But I am gonna try super walmart if they don't have it, then I am just out of luck, Because I am tired of ordering products online it is getting to expensive for me so I am trying products out the Beauty supply stores.

kmacbaje
07-16-2006, 01:00 PM
i am down too!. I just started today. Q-how long does it take to see results? or does it depend on the products? My hair feels softer but still a bit crunchy so i am wondering if i have to change product or wait. I used Nature's gate conditioner and the Catus leave in moisturizer.

SkyFlower
07-16-2006, 10:20 PM
creator of the bohemian routine taking a bow! :blush:

but for real sis, ill join you. this is my everyday routine so it'll be a breeze. for those that dont know what it is, check the past threads and or my album's routine section.

basic bohemian:
daily co-washes
no styling products
no butters
no frizz busters
no knock-out-them-napps-serums

acceptable:
leave in conditioners
homemade liquid concoctions
natural humectants ie. aloe, honey, glycerine, flaxseed gel, etc.

kysses, here are a few good leave ins:
jamaican mango and lime cactus
elucence
abba nourishing
aveda exlier
shea moisture
soft and precious detangling spray
sta sof fro
homemade mixture of conditioner, water, +humectant
[/b]

Out of curiosity, why can shea moisture be used and not shea butter?

Briyandra
07-16-2006, 11:06 PM
I'll join since my hair is going to be in cornrows :lol:

jazzijenni81
07-16-2006, 11:17 PM
Out of curiosity, why can shea moisture be used and not shea butter?
[/b]
Shea Moisture is a leave-in conditioner that contains shea butter but is mostly water/moisturizers and can be removed effectively by co-washes...pure shea butter on the other hand, is more of a pomade and can't be. Like I've stated previously, anyone can rectify the rules to accommodate her hair needs, but the basic routine calls for minimum to no product.

kmacbaje
My results were immediate, but it can take time. Try diluting the cactus w water. I apply everything, even co-washes, in a diluted fashion.

LuaBonita
03-21-2007, 11:22 PM
im bumping this only because of my results after deciding to do this again. last week, i shampooed my hair after detangling with conditioner. being the lazy person that i am, i failed to look for my moisturizer. i used my conditioner instead. its now a week later and my hair still feels great. ive been using it every other day as a leave in and to wake up my napps :)

i know this isnt a product free regimen bbuutt im down to 4 things right now (shampoo, condish, water, deep condish). im going to try this for 3 more weeks

the PJ in me is DYING :lol:

I_am_Lisa
07-04-2007, 12:15 AM
Okay, so I am wondering if what I am planning on doing will work. There are two things that I am wondering about. My hair likes water based products and it really likes the Qhemet tea gel, it doesn't feel heavy like a gel at all, but it moisturizes my hair like a dream. Also, I purchased the Oyin burnt sugar pomade but I haven't received it yet. Does the pomade go against the bohemian rules?

LOL, I just realized this thread was started last year, so the challenge has been loooong over LOL. Still though, would these products qualify?

Soulsista934
07-04-2007, 02:04 PM
I really wanted to get this today but I wasnt sure of the ingredients. Its called BB Oil Moisturizer Hair Lotion.

Here are the ingredients:

Purified Water , Canola Oil , Sorbitan Sesquioleate , Castor Oil , Polyquaternium 32 , Paraffinum Liquidum , Aloe Vera Gel , Panthenol , Coconut Oil , Polysorbate 80 , Propylene Glycol , Diazolidinyl Urea , Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate , D&C Red No. 33 , Fragrance

missdeebee
07-04-2007, 10:05 PM
I'm in! This sounds really interesting! All I ever do really is condition and spray in a homemade, water based concoction of mine afterwards. The less stress on my hair, the better.

EDIT: Wow, I just realized this is an old thread...silly me! Oh well, I'll still do it. :D

deminapia
07-05-2007, 03:50 AM
I'm In. Now I use Kemi Oly/Vatika after cowash with suave coconut everyday. I also use BB Hair Lotion. I can mix these with water and make a spray for a moisturizer and still be In? Oh I forgot I also use StaSo Fro about every other day too. Help I want to be in before I become a PJ.

MsMiamiLady
07-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Oh! i wanna join!

LadyBug13
07-05-2007, 03:02 PM
I'm in. I think I've been doing this for a while. Just last night I co-washed with Suave Naturals tropical coconut mixed with a small amount of honey. After rinsing, I massaged a small amount of castor oil onto my scalp. I'll probably massage the castor oil on my scalp every few days but but a tiny amount on end of my \twists every night to make the ends softer. I think I'm going to try this for a week and see how my hair responds to it. I'm going to make a spritz of water and rosemary oil and probably a tiny amount of glyerin and see how my hair likes it. I'm going to do nightly co-washes instead of co-washing in the morning, twist my hair at night, and untwist in the morning.

Purplestarz
07-28-2007, 01:53 PM
I think I've been on this challenge for 2 weeks. I washed nad conditioned my hair then briaded and twisted it. I did absolutely nothing to it but after 3 days I started spritzing with water, peppermintmint oil, coconut oil, and water. I didsnt' wash again till today. That killed me b/c i wash my hair once a week but I didn't want to tangle the twists. My hair was super soft when I took it out. I'm not sure if its b/c of the spritz or b/c I've barely put anything in it. Am I doing the boho correctly?

cindyh73
08-01-2007, 11:07 AM
Hey Ladies, I realized after using Happy Nappy Styles Cream for a while that I was having alot of build up and the suave co washing weren't as effective as before. So I decided to go a week without any butter/cream products(wish me luck). I cleansed my hair and conditioned with Suave Tropical Coconut(love this conditioner). Then I applied a little of this conditioner mixed with water as a leave in and applied a little aloe vera gel. Now, I'm worried about the itchies and dry scalp. What do I need to do?

Thanks

LadyBug13
08-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Hey Ladies, I realized after using Happy Nappy Styles Cream for a while that I was having alot of build up and the suave co washing weren't as effective as before. So I decided to go a week without any butter/cream products(wish me luck). I cleansed my hair and conditioned with Suave Tropical Coconut(love this conditioner). Then I applied a little of this conditioner mixed with water as a leave in and applied a little aloe vera gel. Now, I'm worried about the itchies and dry scalp. What do I need to do?

Thanks
[/b]

Try castor oil or extra virgin olive oil