PDA

View Full Version : Losing Them For Special Occasions

geminibreeze
07-15-2006, 04:51 PM
Why do some ppl cut/take down their locks for special occasions, i.e. weddings, graduation, starting new job...? Is it because it's the start of a new phase in life, or because locs aren't considered pretty enough for the occassion/situation?

Beryl
07-15-2006, 07:17 PM
"Some ppl" do a lot of things for "special occasions"

-- get braids
-- wear a wig
-- STRAIGHTEN their hair

I don't think it has anything to do with locs not being "pretty enough" . "Some ppl" would get butt length locs, if they could, for "special occasions".

No accounting for "some ppl".

On special occasions, I curl my locs or wear an upsweep. I have no plans or need to cut them unless it is to achieve a particular style. I might cut them off and start over freeform one day though.

Beautiful_Vision
07-16-2006, 02:01 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with not being pretty enough. Remember, to some people it's just a hairstyle.

dking821
07-17-2006, 07:35 AM
I don't think it has anything to do with not being pretty enough. Remember, to some people it's just a hairstyle.
[/b]

ITA

Clarissa359
07-18-2006, 05:47 AM
The same reason on special occasions I paint my usually bare nails. Or pull out the handbag I don't carry everyday. On special occasions, you want something different because the day is, well, special. You want your look to be different than the ordinary. For women, it's often our hair that gets the attention on special days. Women with straight hair might curl it while women with curly hair might straighten it.

geminibreeze
07-19-2006, 04:48 PM
Those are good points about it being just a hairstyle and that it's just something like getting braids, wearing a wig, or painting nails, but those are temporary changes. Not that locs are absolutely permanent, it's just that it takes a while to get locs, so I was curious as to why they'd be taken down or cut for just one day/occasion.

Thanks for your thoughts. :)

nappydee78
07-20-2006, 09:12 AM
I'm not sure, but on special occassions I like to curl my locs and then pin them up in a style.

I have to agree with Clarissa359, I usually will paint my bare nails a pretty color on special occassions; however chop my locs, I think not :)