PDA

View Full Version : HELP! EXTREMELY DRY LOCS

Safiyyah
01-19-2004, 08:12 PM
Hi everyone, I don't personally have locs but a friend of mine does and she is having tremendous difficulty so please help!

The nature of her problem is that no matter how much oil is applied to the hair both locs and scalp (including sprays) within a few hours it all dries up as if it had not been oiled for a month.

How can she remedy this? Would washing the hair more help this? She currently washed about every 6 weeks. She is also on a meat free (including fish) and non-dairy deit and she has been on it for a few years, (the fish free thing she started a few months ago)

W8N2XHL
01-19-2004, 08:41 PM
I would not claim to be an expert in the field of nutrition by any stretch of the imagination. But the fact that she even mentions that she is on a meat/fish free diet is obviously waving red flags, otherwise she wouldn't have mentioned it. I'm not saying that she has to eat meat if that is her preference, but where is she getting her healthy oils/fats from? Look into either Vitamin E capsules or a tablespoon of olive oil (taken orally once a day.)

QueenLena03
01-19-2004, 08:43 PM
Does she drink enough water? That's the most important thing. Being meat free shouldn't affect her scalp and locs being dry.

rockinlocs
01-19-2004, 09:03 PM
The suggestions given about water intake and oil supplements is right on! Add to that flax seed and/or flax seed oil for excellent omega3 fatty acids.

Also, are you and your friend judging the dryness factor on sight or feel? Does her hair actually feel hard, dry, brittle or crunchy? Is it at all soft and supple? It doesn't have to shine or feel slick to mean it's benefitting from the oils. Does her scalp look dry? Does she have a scalp condition that you know of such as dandruff, etc.?

Also, if she's applying an abudance of oil, she could be doing the reverse by causing buildup. Maybe she should clarify and THEN be sure to follow up with a more gentle/moisturizing shampoo. Then, either condition or do a hot oil treatment.

What kind of shampoo is she using on her locs currently?

Schiffon
01-19-2004, 09:04 PM
From the little information that you have provided her dryness could be a result of any number of things:
1. Build up from shampoo, conditioner, or other products.
2. Poor nutrition and/or water intake.
3. If she only washes every 6 weeks, is her hair coming in enough contact with water? Her hair might be thoroughly undermoistutrized and adding oil instead of water, won't help.
4. Its winter in many parts of the world. Maybe the locs are being exposed to dry heat and are left uncovered when outside in the harsh winter cold and wind.
5. Is her hair color treated, does she use blow driers alot?
6. How long has she had her locs? Does she condition in any way? When did she first notice the dryness?

She really should join the board herself, if possible and begin the process of deducing the cause of the problem.

KNOTI220
01-19-2004, 09:11 PM
DRINKING WATER AND CONDITIONERS ARE MOST IMPORTANT. TRY WASHING YOUR HAIR WITH CONDITIONER INSTEAD OF SHAMPOO I GOT THIS IDEA FROM A NAP USER AND I DID NOTICE A DIFFEEENCE ALSO DOES SHE HAVE COLOR IN HER LOCS? COLOR
HAS DRIED OUT MY HAIR TO THE POINT IT IS A DIFFERENT TEXTURE NOW. AND AS ROCKINLOCS SAID UR HAIR DOESNT HAVE TO SHINE OR FEEL SLICK TO BE GETTIN THE PROPER MOISTURE.

Safiyyah
01-20-2004, 04:41 PM
well I cannot answer half of these questions on her behalf so I will ask her to join the board herself and send her a link to the thread. I would appreciate it if you could all revisit tomorrow and she would have answered these questions.

Thanks for all the help