PDA

View Full Version : Press&curl

NappyAnnie
01-19-2004, 10:53 PM
Hello Everyone--
Has anyone experienced permanent straighten hair after having your hair pressed and curled?

Well, during the holiday I went to a salon to get my hair pressed. Before I allowed anyone to press my hair I asked the stylist a series of questions, like the below:
Have you every pressed hair before?
Do you apply to much heat to the hair?
What kind of products do you use?
Have you experience any of your pressed clients having permanently straighten hair after a press?

And all of these answers were no. Well, I have straight pieces throughout my head and I am furious.

If you have had the same situation happen to you, please share.

Thanks, NappyAnnie

Aesys
01-19-2004, 11:00 PM
I haven't personally, but there are quite a few stories going around this board. The only name I can remember is jetblackkinks(sp?). If you check several pages back in this forum you will find them. If I find it first I'll bump it up.

Huntress
01-19-2004, 11:06 PM
Hi Nappy Annie,

I have a test for you. Wash you hair and look to see if the straight pieces are still there. If they are I'm sorry to tell you this, but your hair has been damaged.

NappyAnnie
01-19-2004, 11:26 PM
SweetEbony--
Yes, I have washed and washed and my bangs are as straight as they were permed.

Thanks for your comment.

skegee94
01-20-2004, 12:17 AM
Sorry that happened to you NappyAnnie! I keep telling my mother that this happens, but she doesn't believe me! Neither does my sis-in-law. But for them, I think their perspective is different (if you're determined to force your kinky hair to be straight anyway, as in their case, then you're less likely to notice when pieces of it remain straight after you've wet your hair).
I don't know what to suggest. I guess if it's isolated little sections of your hair, maybe you can camouflage them, and then gradually trim off the straight ends over time. How long is your hair right now?

NappyAnnie
01-20-2004, 12:26 AM
Skeegee--
My hair is about 7 to 8inches in some spots. Right now, I have straight pieces in the front of my hair. When I wash my hair, the bangs fall to my chin.....

At the moment, I am staying away from heat...no more press &curl. I will keep it in twist for awhile.

Thanks for your response.

QueenLena03
01-20-2004, 01:04 AM
I have a few clients who have worn press & curls for 10 tears and more. They are older clients who have just gotten used to doing their hair that way. I mostly see clients experience permanent straightening in the front of the head.
I have a client who pressed for a year or so and I see her hair also straightened in the front even after the rest "snapped back".

napturallyme
01-20-2004, 01:28 AM
Sounds like she applied too much heat. I know people that it has happened to.

delightfulflame
01-20-2004, 02:03 AM
Are the straight hairs in groups? Or are they scattered throughout the head?

I personally have straight hairs scattered throughout my head, and I haven't straightened my hair with heat in a very long time...way before my big chop. I chopped very low after transitioning a good while, so it is not possible that they are permed ends. I just happen to have straight hairs throughout my head.

tete4nc
01-20-2004, 03:01 AM
wait awhile. If the hairs are still straight after about a month, its permanent.

Nappy4Me
01-20-2004, 03:17 AM
Hi Nappie Annie,

I'm sorry that this happened to you. It's unfortunate, but it is hard to find a stylist to cultivate our natural hair. You asked the right questions, however, unfortunately not all hairstylists know how to take care of our natural hair. Especially since many of them were trained in chemical process and not in caring for our natural hair.

I haven't tried it yet but I understand banding can stretch our hair out without heat. I'm not sure if you have tried rolling your natural hair and stretching it over large rollers. Many of us find that we don't need heat at all to achieve a similiar style. Remember there are somethings that our hair is not meant to do. Embrace your new options and enjoy the beauty. there are so many albums on the site that you can get wonderful ideas from.

Sorry for the experience. But it will grow out as you continue to condition and treat the new growth. It will work out.

caramelaggie
01-20-2004, 03:28 AM
This is my concern as well. I have several friends who influnced me to go naturaul. Since I did the big chop I wear my hair in its natural state and they tried too also. Their hair will not snap back. They both go to the same stylist who told them if you continue to get it straighten then it will be permenant. Their stylist also told them about someone using to much heat. Did your stylist use the comb all the way through your hair or did he just use the comb for the edges and then use a hot curling iron to straigthen the rest?

undrea
01-20-2004, 03:52 AM
Sorry to hear about your experience. Those straight pieces probaly won't curl back up. When I got my hair pressed, I had about 2 or 3 straight pieces, but I just trimmed them off. The best thing would be to get it trimmed if it's not many straight pieces.

macsrcool
01-20-2004, 04:28 AM
I straightened for about 2 and a half years at a salon. I stopped about two years ago. My stylist used a pressing comb, a flat iron, and some "leave in conditioner" she mixed in a spray bottle. The latter was probably mixed with a straightening solution. The first time I got it done I was amazed by how straight it got. When I washed it it had a smell and was limp and wavy looking (not my natural hair texture). This was mainly the front area. The back was not as limp and sad looking.

When I was little my mother used to take me to get my hair pressed by an older woman who did a "grease press." I did the grease press on myself up until the 10th grade. I never noticed that my natural hair texture was any straighter with that kind of press. She never used a flat iron. At this time flat irons were just coming into fashion for natural hair.

I think the combination of the flat iron, the higher temperature, and the lack of a protective "grease" added up to changing the hair texture. The high temp probably melts the hair or something to that effect in combination with the "special solution." The modern day salon press is dangerous! I think if you absolutely must press your hair do it yourself with a proper temperature and with some hair oil. Or if you can find someone of the old school who knows how to do a grease press.

javascript:emoticon(':offtopic')People who use the ceramic flat iron: do you notice a change in hair texture?

nybabee1718
01-20-2004, 05:28 AM
I'm sorry to hear about this NappieAnnie. What I would suggest is deep conditioning treatments and continue to treat your hair gently. Maybe with all the deep conditioning and extra attention your hair might spring back to its normal state.

macsrcool- I've used the ceramic iron recently to straighten out my hair, only once though.

to tell you the truth, my hair snapped back the instant water hit that bad boy, lol. I wasn't taking any chances though. I did it myself because I don't trust people in the salons. I used oil and CD hhb to make sure it was moisturized and had grease to kind of seal in the moisture.

I also did a roller set first and then used the ceramic iron as a way to calm down the big curls that roller sets give.

I had an ok experience. I just cant' take all that oil and grease but other than that it was fine. No straight strands.

Happy2BNappy
01-20-2004, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by NappyAnnie@Jan 19 2004, 05:53 PM
Hello Everyone--
Has anyone experienced permanent straighten hair after having your hair pressed and curled?

Well, during the holiday I went to a salon to get my hair pressed. Before I allowed anyone to press my hair I asked the stylist a series of questions, like the below:
Have you every pressed hair before?
Do you apply to much heat to the hair?
What kind of products do you use?
Have you experience any of your pressed clients having permanently straighten hair after a press?

And all of these answers were no. Well, I have straight pieces throughout my head and I am furious.

If you have had the same situation happen to you, please share.

Thanks, NappyAnnie
I'm sorry that happened to you but you and others must realize that any kind of direct heat to your hair can cause damage.

At least your hair is long enough that you can keep it in twists and later on cut the damaged ends off.

Good luck!

Seven
01-20-2004, 04:20 PM
Try rolling the straight strands on bobby pins with a setting lotion or gel. Slide the bobby pin onto the hair just above the ends. Roll it up a once or twice, wrap the end piece and roll up the rest.

The resulting curls will be so small and tight, it should allow you to blend the straight strands into the rest of your hair until you wish you cut them.

Sorry about that.

FlyGemini
01-20-2004, 04:48 PM
Unfortunately Annie, your hair will not "nap up" in that spot again. The exact same thing happened to me when I got my hair pressed for the first time after going natural. A section in the front of my hair remained straight no matter how many times I washed it. I even rinsed it w/ACV (I don't know what I thought THAT was gonna do LOL). Anyway, not only was my hair permanently straight, but whenever it got wet it had a faint burnt smell to it :( I was pissed because after that I never got to experience a "real" 'fro.

The only thing you can do is let it grow out. When I finally decided to loc, as it grew I continued to trim the straight parts until they were gone, that straight hair looked absolutely ridiculous in the midst of my twists. Now the locs in the back and middle of my head are way longer than the ones inthe front. Fortunately, now that it's a year later it looks normal, almost intentinal. It has a kind of layered look to it...

KinkyLaCoil
01-20-2004, 05:47 PM
Yep, just recently had the same experience. My heat damage was in the back and I did have to cut it. I just count it as a loss. I knew that pressing was not right for my hair, and let others convince me that it was. It may not help much but here's some love :heart :blab :heart . My advice is to cut it off and learn from your mistakes.

Dolliesdaughter
01-20-2004, 06:10 PM
Are you going to straighten again??

paulita425
01-20-2004, 06:55 PM
Sorry that this happened to you NappyAnnie. My hair was also damaged when I got my hair pressed. The naps snapped back but you can see were the stylist thinned my hair and it looks really stripped. So I sympathize with you. It did take me about 3 or 4 washed to get my hair to snap completely back though.

NappGirlCurl
01-20-2004, 07:07 PM
Sorry to hear this has happened to you.

SassyDiva
01-20-2004, 07:33 PM
Sorry that happened to you

priceless
01-20-2004, 08:44 PM
used a flat iron to straighten out my hair as opposed to getting a press then curl and i haven't had ne problems............i don't know if there is a difference, but it's worked for me!

NappyAnnie
01-21-2004, 02:45 AM
Thank you all for your comments.

I know that I will not get my hair pressed&curled again. I know there are some that haven't had this problem and to you beware. This too, can happen to you.

At the moment, the only heat I am applying to my hair is a heating cap for deep conditioning. I will keep my hair in a protective style for now until the straight hairs have been cut out over time.

Maybe by summer they will be gone....

NappyAnnie

ShekinahSoul
01-21-2004, 02:48 AM
Wow. Sorry about that sis :(

Jewells
01-21-2004, 05:25 PM
The same thing happened to me. Mostly in the front of my head. I'm able to get around by twisting my hair. The twistout doesn't look like before but the pieces that are straight have a little more kink to them.

I ended up cutting about an inch off due to the damage of straightening.

siSTARly1787
01-21-2004, 11:32 PM
*whew* I thought I was the only one that happened to. My area is in the front as well. Luckily my hair is really short when dry and I can camoflouge it a lil. Bet I'll know next time.

wildandkinky
01-22-2004, 01:06 AM
Maybe you should wear puffs for a while, or use a headband so it wont be so annoying to have straights in the front.

Actually my old hairdresser warned me about not using too much oil when using flat or curling iron. What are you gonna do, fry up an egg?

Letica01
02-03-2004, 08:52 PM
I am so thankful for this forum in Nappturality! :nohuh I went on today and purchased an electric pressing comb. Why? I've tried unsuccessfully to wear my hair slicked back. I wanted a change from the twa. I've tried a few gels, but want to stay away from them, because they tend to dry my hair out. Only effect I got was my curls curling back up! Thank U ladies for the input and for saving the day! :doh

Dolliesdaughter
02-03-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Letica01@Feb 3 2004, 08:52 PM
I am so thankful for this forum in Nappturality! :nohuh I went on today and purchased an electric pressing comb. Why? I've tried unsuccessfully to wear my hair slicked back. I wanted a change from the twa. I've tried a few gels, but want to stay away from them, because they tend to dry my hair out. Only effect I got was my curls curling back up! Thank U ladies for the input and for saving the day! :doh
I hope you don't think the electric comb is less damaging than the hot iron. Or are you just posting saying that thanks to NP you won't be using the straightening comb.

You can get you hair flat by using some (alcohol free)gel, brushing back and putting on a scarf and let dry.

Heat is not good.

chickiebrown
02-03-2004, 09:38 PM
I have random straight hairs in my head that don't curl or napp, I dunno why they look like permed stragles, my Mom said it's always been like this. I haven't had a perm in years. I suggest you get some perm rollers the tiny ones or second to the smallest depending on the type of hair you have and it will look the same as the rest of your hair hopefully. Over time my hair has trained itself to just curl in those spots. Every now and then I have to do it but not often (like if I use alot of product or cut my hair.

Oh and the real tiny ones cost like 69 cents for 20.

Geminibrown78
02-04-2004, 12:15 AM
see, my BF keeps getting at me to press my hair, I need to print this up for him

HairLove
02-04-2004, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Geminibrown78@Feb 3 2004, 04:15 PM
see, my BF keeps getting at me to press my hair, I need to print this up for him
Try a wet set. He'll see thoses curls and miss the napps. Trust.

Safiyyah
02-04-2004, 02:25 AM
And this is exactly why I do no EVER blow dry, flat iron, or let ANY heat come so much as near my hair

Geminibrown78
02-04-2004, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by HairLove+Feb 4 2004, 01:35 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (HairLove @ Feb 4 2004, 01:35 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Geminibrown78@Feb 3 2004, 04:15 PM
Try a wet set. He&#39;ll see thoses curls and miss the napps. Trust. [/b][/quote]
what&#39;s a wet set?

njnaturalgirl
02-04-2004, 03:36 AM
Hello Everyone,

Wow everyone on here really changed my mind about getting my hair pressed. I have an appointment for next week to get my hair pressed. I have beeen natural for 2yrs I never had my hair pressed. I guess I&#39;m getting bored and I just wanted to see how long my hair is straight. I have been wearing briads & twist. I like to wear my twist in the summer. But I will stick to my twist. No pressed hair for me.

Pinky2k4
02-04-2004, 04:39 AM
see this is why i say getting your hair pressed is the devil... my hair would be sooooo mush longer now had i never ever ever pressed it... thats one thing i will never do again... any who.. like everyone said if it doesnt curl back up within a month its pretty much permanant. what i did was cut it off. i know you may not want to hear that but if your hair wont curl back up its damaged and it going to break off anyway so you may as well chop it off.

luvnme1st
02-04-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by njnaturalgirl@Feb 4 2004, 03:36 AM
Hello Everyone,

Wow everyone on here really changed my mind about getting my hair pressed. I have an appointment for next week to get my hair pressed. I have beeen natural for 2yrs I never had my hair pressed. I guess I&#39;m getting bored and I just wanted to see how long my hair is straight. I have been wearing briads & twist. I like to wear my twist in the summer. But I will stick to my twist. No pressed hair for me.
Don&#39;t you know it? Thank God for NP, because I also contemplated getting my hair straightened, at one time. I was only going to do it to appease my hubby, but he has since changed his mind anyway. He is now starting to show some serious :heart love :heart for my naps, so the pressure is off.

No temporary straightening for these naps.