PDA

View Full Version : My baby picked up a perm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tran68
03-01-2003, 04:58 AM
I'm still in shock!! She had a fresh new corn-row style and it looked wonderful as usual....so I went to Sally's to get me some more plastic caps and I ended up getting a blow-dryer and a hooded dryer and I was looking for ORS hair mayo when she picks up the perm box (a little girl with a bone straight pony tail and a bang hanging down in the front) and says I want my hair like this! I said well....you can get a press and curl to get that look, but look how beautiful your hair is now...we can actually do a braid style that looks similar to that...I was just a fumbling over my words cause I was in SHOCK! This is a girl who talks about her fellow classmates hair falling out from perming. :?

My daughter's hair is about 11-13 inches long and coily on the ends, from root to ends it's virtually straight IMO.....I never even thought of pressing her hair because well, it's already straight IMO, not bone straight, but poofy kinda straight..if ya'll know what I mean.

Her cornrows will be in another 2-3 weeks, all the time I'm bragging cause she's never requested bone straight hair, now she done seen that damm perm box...what can I do??

Medusa Negrita
03-01-2003, 06:42 AM
And you don't think your over reacting....[i]just a bit?[/b]

I don't know. I'd just tell her she ain't getting a perm, that's a 'big girls' style, and that if maybe she'd get a style like that when she's older by getting it pressed - maybe.

Don't worry about it. I think she'd just as soon forget it.

BlackOnyx03
03-01-2003, 06:02 PM
Show her a picture of what "permie box girl" will look like after 20 years of perming.... You shouldn't have to look too hard -- the grocers, the bus, church, a bustling sidewalk should provide you with all you need.....

afrikankween
03-01-2003, 09:22 PM
I agree with Medusa!

No diss on you tran at all.

But it seems as parents these days get so weak in the knees about things there kids do and say. I never recall my momma getting weak over an unexpected moment. It was just HELL NO you aint getting that, now be quiet. No more thought or anxiety over the issues. She was the parent, her word was law. She did not care that I wanted that malibu barbie or a relaxer in this case, it wasn't gettin' got! End of story.

chocolategurl17
03-05-2003, 01:32 AM
I think it was just that fact that she requested A RELAXER at all, is what Tran68 was shocked about, being that she prob thought her daughter really liked her hair the way it was...naptural. Ofcourse Tran could have said No, and that would be the end of it, just because she is the parent, and prob did say no, but I think she means "What can I do to show her that her hair is fine the way it is without a relaxer/press...etc." We all know there were things we couldn't get like barbies or whatever, but a relaxer is totally diff. I'm not saying relaxers are all bad, but its sadening to see lil girls wanting their hair to be different than what it is. Believe it or not self-hate starts at a young age and in very subtle ways......

Tran, you have a right to be concerned about your dd, but like the others said, hopefully she was just talkin' and has already forgotten about it, like kids do alot of the time. Watch her and see if she says any negative things about her hair, if so talk to her and tell her she is fine the way she is, and her hair is beautiful and healthy!!!

Good luck!!

tran68
03-05-2003, 04:09 AM
she hasn't mentioned it since. :wink: We've been thru the black product section of stores before, and she typically crinkles up her nose at the "just for me" boxes....so I freaked a lil, but I'm sure she'll be fine....we haven't even pressed it yet, her "special occasion" hair is a new, intricate cornrow style done by her gramma with beads or a kiddie-type updo... Moms be pulling styles out her hat BETTA than when I was a kid and if she ever runs out, I have plenty of albums of long-haired napturals on here to emulate!

jmnappy
03-05-2003, 04:02 PM
My daughter did the same thing. At the time, I didn't give her much of an explanation. I just told her NO. But now, she understands why I don't relax her hair. I hardly ever press her hair.

elleebeme5
03-12-2003, 11:15 PM
I doubt that she wanted a relaxer as much as she wanted her hair to look that the girl's on the box. The children on those boxes are cute, smiling and posed to make children (and their parents) admire the look. I think telling her she might get it pressed to look like that, some day, is sufficient.

tran68
03-13-2003, 09:16 PM
my Mom flat-ironed it for her a couple nights ago and it's already reverting back....but she got her two days of that style of the girl on the box! :wink: ....she asked if I'd flat iron, I said not anytime soon, maybe when it grows....so she says would you get a perm when it grows...I said nope, she said "that's a good thing Mommy"! :lol:

tran68
03-24-2003, 04:31 PM
Well we gave her the "just for me" box style...first we blow dried it and flat ironed it (week one)...then she went to cheerleading practice and sweated that out...so then we pressed it (week two)...got caught in the rain last week. Sunday she asked for her cornrows again.....we were at the Giant in the "just for me" aisle and she looked at the box, crinkled her nose and said hmpf....that style is TOO MUCH WORK! :lol: :lol: