PDA

View Full Version : Nappy In The Workplace Vol 1.2

autumnleaves
07-23-2006, 08:37 PM
I just started working for jobing.com as a inside sales rep and they don't have any rules for dress code/hair ...there's even a woman working at another location who has a lip ring and tattoos. I was really happy that I wouldn't be getting any beef about my fuzz ball hair :) This is such a big deal! So if anyone ever applies there, fear not nappies!

monalisa02
07-24-2006, 12:07 AM
We shouldn't have to be worrying about this in the first place. Kinky hair is just a suitable for work as stringy. But nonetheless, congradulations.

~*welekevu*~
07-24-2006, 02:59 AM
^^^ITA. I'll wear my hair, a headwrap, a headscarf, hijab, or a khimar anywhere I work and dare them to say something. That's my right. As long as it is appropriate and does not physically interfere with my work, it should not be a problem. I do not compromise myself for anything or anyone... especially not a workplace.

;) wele

JadeKiss
07-24-2006, 07:00 AM
OK I need to be educated on this subject. I live in Canada and although people haven't come right out and told me that my hair is not exceptable I can feel their vibes.

I just wanted to know how it is where ever you guys are from....do they come right out and say it?

Also, congrats on finding a job that excepts you for you. :)

KnottyAuthor
07-29-2006, 05:22 AM
I'm in pharmaceutical sales and was very nervous about going nat. then , I saw another nat.going on 3 years. I started in 2004 and BC 2005-now that was traumatic. Since, other Reps, some nurses and some Drs have even gone natural!!!

Real Black Girl
07-29-2006, 07:13 AM
At my last job, this older white lady told another Sistah who can pass she better not put a headwrap on, the Sistah uncomfortably laughed, (Those white folks "love" her). The nerve of that lady who said it loud enough where everybody could hear it. This comment was made because I gave a compliment to an Indian man on his, and I chimed in that I wear my wraps too, the Sis agreed it was nice. white folks have some nerve I tell you, think they can say whatever and its cool, but let a Sis/Brotha do it, oh they lynch us quick (ol lynch mob) from their work environment just to protect their insecurities, forget that you have rent/mortage/children/bills.

CurlyChick
07-29-2006, 08:50 AM
The first time I wore my TWA to work everyone looked at me strange (especially the white people). My boss asked me if I had tried to get my hair cut into another style and if they messed it up so I had to cut it all off. I told him that I cut it all off because of the straightening chemicals burning my scalp causing my hair to fall out. Few white folks said that they liked it. The majority of the people in my office didn't really comment on it. They looked surprised though I guess because they didn't think that I was the type to chop off all of my hair. They just don't know that it surprised me too when it was first done. I love it now since it has been two months and it has grown out some.

Real Black Girl
08-12-2006, 06:18 PM
<div class='quotemain'>
<span style="color:#006600"> :wub: WELE IS MY SHERO!!!!

naturalknots
08-23-2006, 09:13 AM
Well the first day I came to work natural the white folks just looked I don&#39;t think that they really cared....they seen me in weaves, wigs, perms, and braids....it seems that I&#39;ve taken them to soooo many changes that they&#39;re just happy to see me in something consistent...LOL

Although I&#39;m the only AA at my job....there are blacks from other countries that also work with me. Ironically, the reaction I got from them was rather negative and ignorant. One young lady from Trinidad had the nerve to ask me what was wrong with my hair. I told her nothing and that my hair is as healthy as I’ve ever seen it. Afterwards I proceeded to tell her that I’ve noticed that her hair has been breaking off a lot lately and that she was beginning to bold a little. I guess I pissed her off because she walked off speaking in patois or some stuff! Oh well...its one thing to mess with me BUT back the heck off my napps...LOL

charet3
09-03-2006, 10:53 AM
Well the first day I came to work natural the white folks just looked I don&#39;t think that they really cared....they seen me in weaves, wigs, perms, and braids....it seems that I&#39;ve taken them to soooo many changes that they&#39;re just happy to see me in something consistent...LOL

Although I&#39;m the only AA at my job....there are blacks from other countries that also work with me. Ironically, the reaction I got from them was rather negative and ignorant. One young lady from Trinidad had the nerve to ask me what was wrong with my hair. I told her nothing and that my hair is as healthy as I’ve ever seen it. Afterwards I proceeded to tell her that I’ve noticed that her hair has been breaking off a lot lately and that she was beginning to bold a little. I guess I pissed her off because she walked off speaking in patois or some stuff! Oh well...its one thing to mess with me BUT back the heck off my napps...LOL
[/b]

LOL.....you go girl. I had the same problem when I decided to stop wearing the kinkt extension twists and just be me and wear my God given hair out. I work at a big named accounting firm and I was nervous about the reaction. However, all the people of non-color gave me positive compliments and loved it. However, a young lady from the Islands came up to my desk and said "look at you with your Nappy hair". Yes, I am happy to be nappy but she said it in such a negative manner that I had to immediately check her. Here she is walking around with a thinning hair and I had a mass of thick, soft coily hair that has been more healthly than I have ever known it to be. From that day on I have never had a problem with wearing my own natural hair. No one really cares anymore. I just need to learn how to deal with my own hair and find some cute stlyes that are more work appropriate. I still have to be professional.