PDA

View Full Version : Veteran transitioning considering the big chop

naturali-t
01-21-2004, 04:42 AM
Hello everyone! I am not new (have an album here)but this is my first time really posting something (didn't know I could) :doh Anyway,this marks 1 year and 3 months since I have been transitioning and I have a problem. I want to cut off the permed ends but my hair grows at different rates in certain sections. For instance,my nape hair is 3/4 natural,whereas the front-well,let's just say if I cut it now, I will have bangs :razz I want to go ahead and be au naturale because the crown of my head is thicker and I have experienced damage in this area. What do you all think?

Melanizm
01-21-2004, 04:53 AM
Actually I was worried about the same thing. My hair is a lot longer in the back. But once I chopped, the natural texture of my hair tightened up a lot and now the shrinkage helps mask the differences in lengths

I say so ahead a chop and see what happens. with shrinkage and an good cut, the difference shouldn't be that bad

carlaw78
01-21-2004, 08:33 AM
At first I was going to say get it cut all even, I now I have to agree with Melanizm. Shrinkage is going to be a huge factor on the way your hair turns out. Girl U R better then me, I couldn't go 1 1/2 transition, I know that u will absolutely love your new natural hair...Good lUck and keep us updated with what you do

uzuri
01-21-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Melanizm@Jan 21 2004, 06:53 AM
Actually I was worried about the same thing. My hair is a lot longer in the back. But once I chopped, the natural texture of my hair tightened up a lot and now the shrinkage helps mask the differences in lengths

I say so ahead a chop and see what happens. with shrinkage and an good cut, the difference shouldn't be that bad
ITA with Melanizm.... :thumbsup

naturali-t
01-21-2004, 07:47 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses! I am gonna chop in either March or April and I will surely take pictures then. Exactly how should I relay to my beautician on how I want it cut? Should I leave a minimal amount of permed ends for future trimmings?

Mecca
01-21-2004, 07:56 PM
Hey Naturali-T, I was thinking the same thing. My anticipated final chop date is at the end of March, but I can just imagine the shape isn't going to be cute--(think afro-shag) because my hair doesn't grow as fast on the top and sides.
I have purchased some hair vitamins, but I just can't get into taking pills regularly...so I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it does between now and then....