PDA

View Full Version : Okra

LotsOfLocs
01-21-2004, 03:48 PM
Any good Okra recipes?

Deej
01-21-2004, 04:07 PM
Ever heard of Callaloo? It's a Trinidadian creation. And I know it is sometimes made with okra. Here's a recipe I found on the food network - umm, leave out the pig's tail and the crab, because I know you don't eat meat, LOL, and don't leave that scotch bonnet on their too long if you use it or else you will be eating very, very, very HOT food. HTH

CALLALOO (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_25177,00.html)

LotsOfLocs
01-21-2004, 06:17 PM
Thanks Deej!

Someone just gave me a recipe to sautee it.

corn
okra
tomatoes
onion
salt and pepper
Sauteed in a light oil.

CocoaButterflyy
01-21-2004, 06:34 PM
one of my Indian friends makes this and it's good

1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon mustard seed
1 pinch asafoetida powder
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, peeled and sliced
1/4 teaspoon cumin seed
1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 large tomato, chopped
1 (16 ounce) package frozen sliced okra
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon amchoor (can be substituted with lemon juice)
salt to taste

Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, and cook mustard seed until it begins to crackle. Mix in asafoetida. Reduce heat to low, and mix in onion, garlic, cumin seed, and turmeric. Cook and stir until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.

Stir tomato and okra into the mixture. Gradually mix in chili powder, amchoor, and salt. Cook and stir about 10 minutes, until okra is tender but firm

alma2254
01-21-2004, 09:05 PM
1 MEDIUM ONION (CUT UP INTO SMALL BITS)
1 RED PEPPER (CUT UP INTO SMALL BITS)
PACKET FROZEN (SLICED) OKRA
HOLLOW GREEN OLIVES FILLED WITH PIMIENTO (CUT UP)
1 CLOVE GARLIC (PEELED AND SLICED IN SMALL BITS)
2 LARGE TOMATO CHOPPED
2 TABLESPOONS VEGETERIAN SOY SAUCE
KIDNEY BEANS/CHICK PEAS -COOKED, A HAND FULL (WHICHEVER YOU PREFER)

-make steamed rice before hand.

-get a large wok and put in it some olive oil, about 2 table spoons
-put all the ingredients in the wok
-add hot water to cover ingredients and cook on medium/low heat
-cook until the water dissappears and you start frying the ingredients
-keep stirring as it fries for 3-5 minutes

Serve with rice as a sauce
Add salt/pepper as needed for your taste

aquababie19
01-21-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by LotsOfLocs@Jan 21 2004, 01:17 PM
Thanks Deej!

corn
okra
tomatoes
onion
salt and pepper
Sauteed in a light oil.
i was just about to give you a recipe exactly like that. i love okra, corn & tomatoes!

LotsOfLocs
01-22-2004, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by LotsOfLocs@Jan 21 2004, 02:17 PM
Thanks Deej!

corn
okra
tomatoes
onion
salt and pepper
Sauteed in a light oil.
I made this tonight. But added onion, garlic, spike, and other seasoning salts, and hot red pepper. Fabulous!

Sunchild
01-22-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by aquababie19+Jan 21 2004, 06:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (aquababie19 @ Jan 21 2004, 06:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-LotsOfLocs@Jan 21 2004, 01:17 PM
Thanks Deej!

corn
okra
tomatoes
onion
salt and pepper
Sauteed in a light oil.
i was just about to give you a recipe exactly like that. i love okra, corn & tomatoes! [/b][/quote]
This one of my favorite recipes........Where is rockinlocks!?!?:lol

I do okra, corn, potatoes, in stewed tomatoes over some rice.............

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

blumoonbabe
01-22-2004, 12:39 AM
I LOVE okra!

I have a lil quick okra snack that I got from Queen Afua ( I believe the exact recipe is in Sacred Woman), it requres no cooking.

Clean chilled okra and discard caps
Cut into bite size pieces
Put in a ziplock bag or bowl with cover
Sprinkle a few tablespoons of tamari ( or soy sauce) to taste.
Shake bag or covered bowl until all of the okra is covered, and eat!

I usually add some dry, chopped sundried tomatoes too. Yummy.

rockinlocs
01-22-2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by afrikankween+Jan 21 2004, 09:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (afrikankween @ Jan 21 2004, 09:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by aquababie19@Jan 21 2004, 06:09 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-LotsOfLocs@Jan 21 2004, 01:17 PM
Thanks Deej!

corn
okra
tomatoes
onion
salt and pepper
Sauteed in a light oil.
i was just about to give you a recipe exactly like that. i love okra, corn & tomatoes!
This one of my favorite recipes........Where is rockinlocks!?!?:lol

I do okra, corn, potatoes, in stewed tomatoes over some rice.............

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm [/b][/quote]
OH NO!!! Not AK&#39;s "chokra concoction"!!! *passes out

:lol I started to call you out in this thread earlier too!! :lol

See, you didn&#39;t need me to like your concoction!

ChocolatChaud
01-23-2004, 11:53 PM
Okay I don&#39;t want to seem dumb or anything but how do you ladies get your okra not to be all slimy and stuff??? I mean I bought fresh okra and tried to add it to my salads and the slimy goo just was too much and I gave up on okra for the time being. :doh But I know, I know, it so wonderful for our health, especially as women. So help a sister out!

Intice
01-24-2004, 02:49 AM
nuthin special...

1. chopped raw okra with salad

2. Homemade "laxative" soup...hehe...it&#39;s good

okra(lots of it)
vegetable boullion
lentils
garlic clove
onions

Mix all together with 4 cups of pure water.
Cook until lentils are soft. Okra will be slimy bu good ...and it should send you to the bathroom.

ChocolatChaud
01-24-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Intice@Jan 23 2004, 10:49 PM
nuthin special...

1. chopped raw okra with salad

2. Homemade "laxative" soup...hehe...it&#39;s good

okra(lots of it)
vegetable boullion
lentils
garlic clove
onions

Mix all together with 4 cups of pure water.
Cook until lentils are soft. Okra will be slimy bu good ...and it should send you to the bathroom.
Okay so I guess I need to just deal with the sliminess??? I was under the impression that fresh raw okra was never supposed to be slimy.... Well that&#39;s what Queen Afua said in Sacred Woman....oh well....

naijamodel
01-26-2004, 02:21 AM
i think that this is interesting, because I always hear people asking -&#39;how do you make okro non-slimy?&#39;. I guess culture really does influence us because Nigerians LOVE it that way! We do not say it is slimy though, we say it &#39;draws&#39;. I like to cook it ground/ finely chopped with red palm oil, dried crayfish, ground HOT pepper and broth till it is soft and &#39;drawing&#39;. We eat it with all manner of foofoo - yam, cassava, semolina - BANGIN&#39;! :thumbsup

FemmGranGwav
01-26-2004, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by naijamodel@Jan 25 2004, 11:21 PM
i think that this is interesting, because I always hear people asking -&#39;how do you make okro non-slimy?&#39;. I guess culture really does influence us because Nigerians LOVE it that way! We do not say it is slimy though, we say it &#39;draws&#39;. I like to cook it ground/ finely chopped with red palm oil, dried crayfish, ground HOT pepper and broth till it is soft and &#39;drawing&#39;. We eat it with all manner of foofoo - yam, cassava, semolina - BANGIN&#39;! :thumbsup
aahhh like in Ogbono soup

blumoonbabe
01-26-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by ChocolatChaud@Jan 23 2004, 07:53 PM
Okay I don&#39;t want to seem dumb or anything but how do you ladies get your okra not to be all slimy and stuff??? I mean I bought fresh okra and tried to add it to my salads and the slimy goo just was too much and I gave up on okra for the time being. :doh But I know, I know, it so wonderful for our health, especially as women. So help a sister out!
If it&#39;s served cold, it really isn&#39;t slimy. Maybe the okra you&#39;ve been getting isn&#39;t too fresh, KWIM?

FreshStart
01-26-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by blumoonbabe+Jan 26 2004, 10:28 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (blumoonbabe @ Jan 26 2004, 10:28 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ChocolatChaud@Jan 23 2004, 07:53 PM
If it&#39;s served cold, it really isn&#39;t slimy. Maybe the okra you&#39;ve been getting isn&#39;t too fresh, KWIM? [/b][/quote]
I too have found that chilling the okra really cuts down on the slime. Got a bunch of fresh okra last year and after I washed it I put it in the &#39;fridge overnight. When I cut it up the next day I noticed alot less slime then when I did the same procedure w/o letting the okra sit in the &#39;fridge.

LotsOfLocs
01-27-2004, 03:16 PM
If you lightly sautee it shouldnt slime, almost raw.

starchild
01-27-2004, 03:25 PM
I like to eat

Spinach, okra, stewed tomatoes w/lentils,

Season with garlic, onions, salt and pepper

Also, there is a Gambian dish my bf tries to cook, love it

Spinach, okra, palm oil, tomatoes, onions, maggai bullions, maybe a lil lima beans over hot rice.

Also, try some okra, palm oil, onions, tomatoes, and tomato paste and some peanut butter. To make like a sauce and eat over hot rice.

Ladybrownskin
01-27-2004, 03:52 PM
Mmm, okra...

Curried Okra

1 pound okra, topped and tailed, sliced into half inch pieces
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 sliced onions
1/2 teaspoon dried red chiles
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
salt and pepper to taste

Fry the okra in a heavy skillet for about 10 minutes or until lightly brown. Add the remaining ingredients and continue to fry for an additional 3 minutes. The dish is ready when the onions are soft.

naijamodel
01-28-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by FemmGranGwav+Jan 26 2004, 03:26 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FemmGranGwav @ Jan 26 2004, 03:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-naijamodel@Jan 25 2004, 11:21 PM
aahhh like in Ogbono soup [/b][/quote]
LAWHAVEMERCY! Now you are talking FOOD. You should try ogbono cooked with okro till they both &#39;draw&#39;. You will bite your fingers (as they say)! :d)

Papillion
01-28-2004, 06:34 PM
Anyone have a recipe for Gombo Saff? I have not found a good recipes online. I had it at a Senegalese restaurant.

It was a vegetarian recipe with okra and I believe cabbage and spinach/ greens? Stew-like consistency.

Delicious.

winnie
01-30-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by naijamodel@Jan 25 2004, 11:21 PM
I&#39;m from TN and we like it slimey too! The "slime" is what makes okra such a great thickener for soups and stews. My parents keep a small vegetable garden with okra every year. Fresh okra definitely slimes.

Anyway, another great recipe is okra pilau or perloo depending on where you are from. It&#39;s a composed rice dish. I like to use jasmine rice because it cooks quickly and has a great aroma but any rice will do.
These measurements are estimates.

1 pound of fresh okra, sliced into rounds.
1 large onion, chopped.
5 garlic cloves minced
Basil leaves
Thyme leaves
Savory leaves
Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
1 cup of rice
2 cups of water

Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until soft. Add okra and cook for about 10 minutes stirring constantly. Add rice, water and seasonings. Turn heat down and cooked covered until all of water is absorbed and rice and okra are tender.

*Depending on what type of rice you use, you may have to adjust the amount of water.
** Some people add tomatoes to this dish.

Curlicious
02-09-2004, 05:08 PM
I&#39;ll have to try making veggie gumbo. I haven&#39;t made gumbo since rejecting poultry but this uses okra as a thickener. Has anyone given this a try and gotten good results, or will I just be severely disappointed?

ChiChiKinks
02-19-2004, 03:44 PM
Me, I love Okra anything, especially Okra Soup. Gosh that stuff is good.

niknik
02-20-2004, 11:41 PM
I was just asking someone how to do some really good okra the other day. Y&#39;all read my mind!

winnie
02-24-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Curlicious@Feb 9 2004, 02:08 PM
I&#39;ll have to try making veggie gumbo. I haven&#39;t made gumbo since rejecting poultry but this uses okra as a thickener. Has anyone given this a try and gotten good results, or will I just be severely disappointed?
I&#39;ve had good veggie gumbos before. Just make sure that you make a really good veggie stock beforehand.